The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 February 2020, 09:38 PM   #31
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Such a great reference, congratulations and thank you for sharing your thoughts
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 09:52 PM   #32
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Congratulations. Great watch and an interesting review.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2020, 11:20 PM   #33
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarinda View Post
no rolexes are easy to read.

try the glycine gL00185 for legibility.
Hugely sweeping statement! Are you visually compromised?
If so, I'm sure you are aware, Braille watches are available.

Had a quick look,......ok..ish but, meh.

Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 12:16 AM   #34
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Yeah but, is it an investment?
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 12:54 AM   #35
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Nice post and great pick up. Enjoy and thanks for sharin!

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:03 AM   #36
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarinda View Post
no rolexes are easy to read.

try the glycine gL00185 for legibility.
Ha. My 214270 begs to differ with this statement.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:12 AM   #37
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temujen View Post
mgsooner - Speak of the devil...the Explorer I was actually the watch I was going back and forth on, it was down to the 114060 and the 214270. While I love the Submariner and how bold it is, I can't help but think the 214270 would slightly edge out the Sub as an everyday watch due to the thinner profile, better legibility and being more inconspicuous. My wife said it seemed boring too, which probably factored into my decision. That being said, I love the Sub and at least now I have a very good idea of what my next Rolex is going to be! I just hope they don't change it too much before I have a chance to buy one new. Included a pic below of the first time I tried on an Explorer in Hawaii on my honeymoon back in '17 - back when display cases were full, but I had zero budget for a watch after paying $650 a night at the Andaz

Also, now that you mention it, the minute hand could be a smidge longer, including the lumed portion for contrast. Great observation.

As far as the downward slope - yes! Either that, or say 1 mm less of the height on the underside of the watch. One of those two things would definitely make it wear a bit better. I've tried on a new GMT, and it's marginally less thick on the backside of the watch, and that actually made a noticeable difference in how the watch sat on my wrist.
214270 vs 114060 is the exact same decision I came down to when choosing my first. I ultimately turned down a 114060 from an AD and went with the 214270 for all of the reasons you mentioned. It's funny you mention your wife finding the Explorer "boring," I caught the exact same grief from my wife. She REALLY wanted me to go with the Sub. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately for my bank account) I was later offered the Sub again and could not turn it down a second time. They really do make a great duo, I personally love the no date look however if you're someone that needs to be aware of the date on a daily basis you might entertain a Datejust instead.

Regarding the fit I would not say the Sub is uncomfortable and I've largely gotten used to the added weight, but the Explorer is just such a monster in that regard it's tough for the Sub to compete. I am currently contemplating the idea of getting a Rubber B strap to wear on the Sub during the summer.

Hope you keep enjoying the Sub, it's an iconic beauty!
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 02:48 AM   #38
"TRF" Member

Congratulations!
6538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 02:51 AM   #39
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Very nice review. Congrats on your 114060, great watch
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 04:03 AM   #40
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalobyte View Post
Yeah but, is it an investment?
Yes, it is. Haven't you heard, it's a commodity!

Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 04:35 AM   #41
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Excellent review. No watch is perfect, the submariner is damn near perfection though. Keep on enjoying that bad boy!
Old 27 February 2020, 05:11 AM   #42
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Excellent review. No watch is perfect, the submariner is damn near perfection though. Keep on enjoying that bad boy!
The 114060 is close-to the perfect all-in-one watch IMO, right down to the idea of being on "island time" by not having a date. Live carefree, who cares what the day/date is!
mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2020, 01:40 PM   #43
temujen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
214270 vs 114060 is the exact same decision I came down to when choosing my first. I ultimately turned down a 114060 from an AD and went with the 214270 for all of the reasons you mentioned. It's funny you mention your wife finding the Explorer "boring," I caught the exact same grief from my wife. She REALLY wanted me to go with the Sub. Fortunately (or perhaps unfortunately for my bank account) I was later offered the Sub again and could not turn it down a second time. They really do make a great duo, I personally love the no date look however if you're someone that needs to be aware of the date on a daily basis you might entertain a Datejust instead.

Regarding the fit I would not say the Sub is uncomfortable and I've largely gotten used to the added weight, but the Explorer is just such a monster in that regard it's tough for the Sub to compete. I am currently contemplating the idea of getting a Rubber B strap to wear on the Sub during the summer.

Hope you keep enjoying the Sub, it's an iconic beauty!
Thanks, I sure will - definitely share your thoughts if you get the Rubber B.

That is funny that your wife had the same feedback as mine on the Explorer. I get it, at first blush there's nothing particularly standout about the watch, but that's exactly it - it rides that fine line between modern and classic, sporty and dressy all the while being well-made and telling great time.

I definitely don't care about having a date function, but I do have my father's wedding watch that he passed down to me - a steel Datejust from the early 1970's that I need to get fixed, and that'll be my dress watch. I sent it in and got a quote from Rolex, and it was $900 for a full service, and something like $1100 for a new bracelet I declined but I know I'll get it done eventually. I'm actually thinking of taking off the bracelet before I send it in because I'm not sure if they let you keep it if it's being replaced outright.

Crazy thing is that I don't believe this watch has ever been serviced, and it still runs if I give it a couple of shakes I'd try winding it up, but the crown is stuck. Still, being able to run at all ~50 years later is pretty damn amazing in, and of itself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191214_125201.jpg (133.7 KB, 17 views)
temujen is offline   Reply With Quote