The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 November 2019, 09:29 AM   #1
royerlich
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Any pilots here?

Hey im 17 and going to try to enlist as a pilot in the millitary. I was curious if pilots (in airlines or private) use the functions of pilot watches to assist them in flying and in general what watch do you wear for flights. Thanks.
royerlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Don't get that gold Day Date you wanted in your other thread. GMT all the way.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 09:39 AM   #3
Potawatomi
"TRF" Member

I'm a pilot and sold or gave away all my rolexes, I'm pretty much all AP now. I got tired of seeing all the pilots wearing oyster case rolexes. Never used an E6b on a watch either. It's just too small to be usable.
Potawatomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 09:45 AM   #4
royerlich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
Well for my service ill wear a g shock i was just curious what older pilots wear. Daydate is for enjoyment only :)
Old 8 November 2019, 09:51 AM   #5
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Quote:
This
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 10:00 AM   #6
healer
"TRF" Member

I fly a Cessna 172. Get a medical for ppl, take the written exam, go on a discovery ride and if you like it enroll in a reputable flight school to get your ppl. To start with get at least a Cessna kit so you can start studying.theres more into it not just flying a plane. Good luck
healer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 10:02 AM   #7
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Yes pilots do need to know the time... yes
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 10:05 AM   #8
royerlich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by healer View Post
I fly a Cessna 172. Get a medical for ppl, take the written exam, go on a discovery ride and if you like it enroll in a reputable flight school to get your ppl. To start with get at least a Cessna kit so you can start studying.theres more into it not just flying a plane. Good luck
Maybe i wasn't clear, im enlisting to the millitary and im trying to be a pilot there. Not trying to do it as a civillian (sorry for my english btw... couldn't express myself right)
Old 8 November 2019, 10:24 AM   #9
jackcarls0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: D'tona,BLNR,Bronze
Honestly, as a pilot any watch works for us. So far Rolex GMT and a Casio (world timer ILLUMINATOR) are the best pick. The one with e6b, chrono and too many functions are pretty much useless in today's cockpit. Last time I used E6B in a flight was in 2006.

Just get a watch that is rugged..
jackcarls0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 10:37 AM   #10
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royerlich View Post
Maybe i wasn't clear, im enlisting to the millitary and im trying to be a pilot there. Not trying to do it as a civillian (sorry for my english btw... couldn't express myself right)
How old do you have to be to be a pilot in your military? What other qualifications do you need? College?
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 10:39 AM   #11
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
In today's flight environment, no, you will seldom need a watch on your wrist.... unless you have a cockpit instrument failure.

Then the only thing you will have is the manual compass and your watch, and a map in your lap - but by then you will likely have forgotten about standard rate turns, flying a magnetic heading, time/distance between nav points, and the like.

You will need to watch the time because fuel use is in time, not miles flown, and if you are checking in to ATC, they like punctuality.

Civilian pilots fly the same way military pilots do

If you make it to flight school, they will teach you what you need, and how to use it. Good Luck.
Old 8 November 2019, 10:43 AM   #12
royerlich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
How old do you have to be to be a pilot in your military? What other qualifications do you need? College?
Im israel at least 3 years of service is mandatory for boys and almost 3 years for girls. Pilots have to sign extra 7 years. Everybody enlists when they turn 18.
Old 8 November 2019, 10:47 AM   #13
royerlich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To qualify, everyone take a day where you take certain tests of health and intelligence questions and after that you have 3 grades that define what you can try, after that for pilots you have to have to pass a couple of simulators and field day that after that you get the start trying to be a pilot (usually out of a couple of hundreds about 60-70 or less are chosen) after that you start a 3 year period where you learn the basics, learn physics and math' do all kind of tests and learn to fly. If you pass all that (about 3-10 people) you get to sign the 7 years and serve as a pilot :)
Old 8 November 2019, 11:25 AM   #14
justjay82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Im israel at least 3 years of service is mandatory for boys and almost 3 years for girls. Pilots have to sign extra 7 years. Everybody enlists when they turn 18.

I’m not a pilot but I love my GMT. You won’t regret a Rolex tool watch. Be safe (And toda raba for your service)!
justjay82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 11:45 AM   #15
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
A GMT comes in handy when you change timezones often. Doesn't really apply to military aviation but gives you a ZULU reference in case you are working ops across multiple theaters.

An 18 year-old with a day date might bring unwanted attention to yourself in training. Stick to something simple and low key for now. Save the DD for a self-reward for a future accomplishment down the road. I don't want to call it an old man's watch, but it kinda is...
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 11:49 AM   #16
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
I did a little bit of flying, I wore a Casio over Iraq, a GMT other times. It was more of a status thing then a tool.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 12:05 PM   #17
Cryten
"TRF" Member

The only function that is of any use is GMT but its not essential as you learn your GMT offsets pretty quickly. Everything else is a gimmick.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 12:11 PM   #18
buckrogers0025
"TRF" Member

Oh, great... I get to follow TheVTCGuy in the post order ;-) I do a little bit of flying, too - boring holes in a corporate Lear 75.

As a wise person said above... GMT all the way. Keep the 24-hour hand on Zulu time and simply adjust the hour hand to local time whatever it might be.
buckrogers0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 12:34 PM   #19
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrogers0025 View Post
Oh, great... I get to follow TheVTCGuy in the post order ;-) I do a little bit of flying, too - boring holes in a corporate Lear 75.

As a wise person said above... GMT all the way. Keep the 24-hour hand on Zulu time and simply adjust the hour hand to local time whatever it might be.
Greg, at one time I would have said I could fly circles around you (literally) but right now you are the better pilot my friend. If I was Right seat on your next flight you would have to watch my every move!

The pipper thingy goes on the horizon bar... ?
How come we can’t shoot an ADF approach?
How do you spell GPS?
Wow! This airport has a VOR/DME!!!!!

Do they still have ASR approaches? I used to shoot PSR.

Yep, you are a better pilot then I am right now.
Old 8 November 2019, 01:17 PM   #20
77T
2024 Pledge Member

There are some pilots over at LZU this weekend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 02:41 PM   #21
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Pilots are officers. They don’t enlist, they get commissioned and take an oath of office.

Then, they should promptly go out and buy a GMT Master II Pepsi. Rolex should IMO guarantee a Pepsi at MSRP for any person who can prove they are a commercial or military pilot. Military pilots should be able to change the bracelet for a brushed oyster bracelet with Glidelock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 02:51 PM   #22
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I did a little bit of flying, I wore a Casio over Iraq, a GMT other times. It was more of a status thing then a tool.
You did a lot more than a little flying, you’re like Maverick.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 03:36 PM   #23
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Any pilots here?

Speaking of robust watches, I have this Holton Professional military and it’s field ready. Absolute tank! Highly recommend over the G-shock.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 04:53 PM   #24
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Speaking of robust watches, I have this Holton Professional military and it’s field ready. Absolute tank! Highly recommend over the G-shock.

Looks great.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 09:34 PM   #25
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Pilots are officers. They don’t enlist, they get commissioned and take an oath of office.

The OP is in Israel. They do it different there.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 10:34 PM   #26
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
I am a retired Commercial Airline Captain. I came up through the civilian route and have no Military experience to share with you. I flew for Southwest Airlines in the USA. When I retired back in 2007 we only flew in the US however I guess there now doing more International flights.

We were a different Airline and all the time/Schedules back then were in CST only (Central Standard Time). Probably the only Airline to ever do this but at the time we were only flying in 4 time zones. Most other International Airlines would have everything converted to GMT.

In my career I seen very very few Rolex's in the Cockpit. I could count them all on one hand and have fingers left over. The Cockpit was a place where it was tight quarters and you were always banging your wrist around on stuff. Especially is your were the Captain and used the tiller for steering. Not much room behind it with screws all over the place holding paneling on.

Most expensive watch I wore while flying was a Breitling Aerospace which we got a group rate on when about 20 Pilots put a order in together through one guy in flight ops.

I highly recommend going the Pilot route. It will be very challenging and also very rewarding. It was a great life and great career. I used to miss it alot but now it seems like a whole life time ago since I was in the Cockpit. Good luck with your future endeavors.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2019, 10:40 PM   #27
royerlich
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I am a retired Commercial Airline Captain. I came up through the civilian route and have no Military experience to share with you. I flew for Southwest Airlines in the USA. When I retired back in 2007 we only flew in the US however I guess there now doing more International flights.

We were a different Airline and all the time/Schedules back then were in CST only (Central Standard Time). Probably the only Airline to ever do this but at the time we were only flying in 4 time zones. Most other International Airlines would have everything converted to GMT.

In my career I seen very very few Rolex's in the Cockpit. I could count them all on one hand and have fingers left over. The Cockpit was a place where it was tight quarters and you were always banging your wrist around on stuff. Especially is your were the Captain and used the tiller for steering. Not much room behind it with screws all over the place holding paneling on.

Most expensive watch I wore while flying was a Breitling Aerospace which we got a group rate on when about 20 Pilots put a order in together through one guy in flight ops.

I highly recommend going the Pilot route. It will be very challenging and also very rewarding. It was a great life and great career. I used to miss it alot but now it seems like a whole life time ago since I was in the Cockpit. Good luck with your future endeavors.
Thanks you! This is very interesting. Any advice for me or certain things to remember?
Old 9 November 2019, 12:31 AM   #28
buckrogers0025
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Greg, at one time I would have said I could fly circles around you (literally) but right now you are the better pilot my friend. If I was Right seat on your next flight you would have to watch my every move!
Paul, you would be bored at “Positive rate, gear up.” Seems all the real ‘flying’ gets done in the simulator.

ADF? What’s that? ;-)
buckrogers0025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2019, 12:51 AM   #29
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Vintage gold GMT on gold jubilee bracelet
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2019, 03:00 AM   #30
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrogers0025 View Post
Paul, you would be bored at “Positive rate, gear up.” Seems all the real ‘flying’ gets done in the simulator.

ADF? What’s that? ;-)
Go ahead and laugh, I used to shoot ADF approaches to a radio station in Pensacola Florida in primary training. I think Orville Wright was one of my instructors.