The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 27 November 2019, 02:46 AM   #61
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I kind of hate/love this seller.
His procurement of items is a testament to how many people do no research at all on what they own and 'swing at the first pitch' selling it.
Than this guy just does a massive ebay dump saying essentially 'the photos are the description'... it is far from the curated world where the better watches will eventually land, but it's fun to watch from the sidelines and an 'opportunity' to get a decent deal IF you know your stuff.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2019, 06:33 AM   #62
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Is ebay again limited to 99 999,99 usd? Could be a bargain then.
The bidding has gone over $100k.
Old 27 November 2019, 07:10 AM   #63
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
The bidding has gone over $100k.
Aye. Then no obvious steal anyway. Good for the seller to get paid closer to fair value.
Old 27 November 2019, 07:48 AM   #64
1665fan
"TRF" Member

The guy sells fakes and franken watches....good luck lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2019, 08:01 AM   #65
Cooper33
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
His procurement of items is a testament to how many people do no research at all on what they own and 'swing at the first pitch' selling it.
Than this guy just does a massive ebay dump saying essentially 'the photos are the description'... it is far from the curated world where the better watches will eventually land, but it's fun to watch from the sidelines and an 'opportunity' to get a decent deal IF you know your stuff.
I really think that a lot of people, even instructed ones, have no idea that an "old" watch can be so valuable. A friend of my dad has a 6263 and uses it daily since the 80's, never serviced it. When I told him current market price for it he simply couldn't believe it. I had to google it for him because he thought I was joking...
Cooper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 12:51 AM   #66
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Auction ended early? Any idea what happened?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 12:59 AM   #67
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Auction ended early? Any idea what happened?
Ebay realized it was too big a risk to cover
A
Old 28 November 2019, 04:14 AM   #68
kanye_mouse
"TRF" Member

Yea what happened? No sale here? I was eagerly waiting to watch the end of this auction today.
kanye_mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 04:16 AM   #69
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Ebay pulled it.
Too risky for them.
Old 28 November 2019, 04:33 AM   #70
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Ebay pulled it.
Too risky for them.
So how is he supposed to sell it then? Or where?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 04:34 AM   #71
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
So how is he supposed to sell it then? Or where?
Auction house.
Ebay won’t take risk at over $100k.
Old 28 November 2019, 05:28 AM   #72
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
You would think that with his selling history and the volume of sales this guy does eBay would accommodate him. Any chance he pulled it and made a deal with one of bidders on the side? Or once you list it you can’t take it down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 05:31 AM   #73
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

You can take it down, but you get penalty points.
Old 28 November 2019, 08:22 AM   #74
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ebay realized it was too big a risk to cover
A
There’s been way more expensive items sold on eBay
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 09:35 AM   #75
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavli3 View Post
You would think that with his selling history and the volume of sales this guy does eBay would accommodate him. Any chance he pulled it and made a deal with one of bidders on the side? Or once you list it you can’t take it down?

No, Im local to him and he runs a legit business, ive contacted him to try and meet for cash sales so he doesnt have to report the income and i dont have to pay tax and he refused.
Old 28 November 2019, 10:29 AM   #76
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsking View Post
No, Im local to him and he runs a legit business, ive contacted him to try and meet for cash sales so he doesnt have to report the income and i dont have to pay tax and he refused.
If you lead with that proposal then he probably declined thinking you were with the government.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 11:06 AM   #77
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
If you lead with that proposal then he probably declined thinking you were with the government.
i was giving the cliff notes version, plus i have a 100% score with almost 400 tranactions.
Old 28 November 2019, 11:41 AM   #78
jensonslee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
I once bought a rare Longines railroad watch from him. Didn't get pics of the movement but looked legit. I wear it around all the time but I'm still scared of opening the caseback, lol. I'm sure it's fine, I just don't have the right tools for those notches.

If I had $150k to spare and knew about vintage Daytonas, I would definitely take my chances on that watch. Maybe one of the bidders can chime in on its status or give their opinion.
jensonslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 02:55 PM   #79
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Damn Ellen DeGeneres

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 04:35 PM   #80
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can take it down, but you get penalty points.
Actually, they assume you sold it and charge a commission, based on what the last bid was or any price that you discussed in your eBay messages, which they do read.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 05:59 PM   #81
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
Actually, they assume you sold it and charge a commission, based on what the last bid was or any price that you discussed in your eBay messages, which they do read.
The message reading I get but have you any proof that eBay charge you a commission for removing an item? When you do so they give you a drop down menu to chose from (broken/wrong amount etc)

That can’t be even legal can it? They assume you sold it and charge commission? No contract to show amounts and buyer, so they basically just steal money? No chance IMO. And I’ve taken plenty of items down in the last 16 years for legit reasons.
Old 28 November 2019, 06:59 PM   #82
imgbyap
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
The message reading I get but have you any proof that eBay charge you a commission for removing an item? When you do so they give you a drop down menu to chose from (broken/wrong amount etc)

That can’t be even legal can it? They assume you sold it and charge commission? No contract to show amounts and buyer, so they basically just steal money? No chance IMO. And I’ve taken plenty of items down in the last 16 years for legit reasons.
From what I understand it's an algorithm that analyzes chat behavior and determines if it was sold outside of ebay (crazy I know). Say if messages are exchanged between seller and buyer that might hint at a sale outside of ebay... then shortly after the buyer brings listing down for whatever reason. It will automatically trigger a final value fee based on the last listing price. Even if you had a legit reason for bringing your listing down. Gathered this bit of info while speaking to a eBay customer service rep. So yeah theft by ebay somewhat, not to mention their new sales tax collection methods on purchases.

In regards to this PN Daytona, I speculate ebay brought this listing down. Seller seems to do things by the book, and I imagine his inbox was flooded with tons of proposals for cash deals etc, would of been a hell of a final value fee. Just my 2 cents
imgbyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 07:58 PM   #83
BigBlue1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Quote:

Per Ebay

Fees

Ending an auction-style listing early once it has received a bid can lead to disappointed and frustrated buyers who may be less likely to bid on listings the next time around. For this reason, we may charge a fee if you end a listing early. This fee is equal to the final value fee you would have paid if the listing had ended on its own and sold for the highest bid received at the time you ended the listing.
We charge this fee if you cancel bids and end an auction-style listing early without a buyer.
We don't charge this fee if you end an auction-style listing early and sell to the high bidder. (In this case, normal final value fees apply.)
This fee doesn't apply to listings in the Real Estate and the Classified Ads selling format.
Because we understand that sometimes it may be necessary to end a listing early, we don't charge a fee for the first auction-style listing you end early (where a fee applies) per calendar year (January 1 to December 31).

How to end a listing early

To end a listing early and cancel all bids or sell to the high bidder:
Go to My eBay > Selling and find the item.
From the More actions drop-down menu, select End My Listing Early.
If there are bids on your item, choose how you want to end your listing.
If there are 12 or more hours before the end of the listing, select Cancel bids and end listing early or Sell item to high bidder.
If there are fewer than 12 hours before the end of the listing, your only option is Sell item to high bidder.
Note: If your item has no bids, you can skip this step
Select the reason you're ending your listing early and click End My Listing.
Your listing ends and is no longer active on eBay. If you end a listing with bids, we send bidders who didn't win an email explaining that their bid was canceled and that the listing ended early.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 09:07 PM   #84
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
After reading the above I’m thinking eBay took it down for whatever reason. Don’t think this guy would risk having to pay s fee on that big a sale without actually having a sale.

Let’s see if he realists it at a buy price instead of auction.

Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2019, 10:12 PM   #85
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue1 View Post
Per Ebay

Fees

Ending an auction-style listing early once it has received a bid can lead to disappointed and frustrated buyers who may be less likely to bid on listings the next time around. For this reason, we may charge a fee if you end a listing early. This fee is equal to the final value fee you would have paid if the listing had ended on its own and sold for the highest bid received at the time you ended the listing.
We charge this fee if you cancel bids and end an auction-style listing early without a buyer.
We don't charge this fee if you end an auction-style listing early and sell to the high bidder. (In this case, normal final value fees apply.)
This fee doesn't apply to listings in the Real Estate and the Classified Ads selling format.
Because we understand that sometimes it may be necessary to end a listing early, we don't charge a fee for the first auction-style listing you end early (where a fee applies) per calendar year (January 1 to December 31).

How to end a listing early

To end a listing early and cancel all bids or sell to the high bidder:
Go to My eBay > Selling and find the item.
From the More actions drop-down menu, select End My Listing Early.
If there are bids on your item, choose how you want to end your listing.
If there are 12 or more hours before the end of the listing, select Cancel bids and end listing early or Sell item to high bidder.
If there are fewer than 12 hours before the end of the listing, your only option is Sell item to high bidder.
Note: If your item has no bids, you can skip this step
Select the reason you're ending your listing early and click End My Listing.
Your listing ends and is no longer active on eBay. If you end a listing with bids, we send bidders who didn't win an email explaining that their bid was canceled and that the listing ended early.
Thanks.

Well that’s ambiguous at best though. “May charge a fee”. Perhaps that’s if they check messages and see it was sold out of eBay? Can’t say I’ve ever noticed a fee from genuinely cancelling auctions.

Otherwise you could be selling an expensive vase, you accidentally smash it when taking pics of the base for an interested buyer and end the auction. Then that means eBay would charge you £250 (think it’s capped charge?) just for ending the auction?

I’m really disillusioned with eBay recently anyway, I’ve just found out they’re banning any sales related to a gun! No more pellets, scopes, cleaning kits, slings, bipods, night vision!

The world has gone snowflake crazy and it’s getting pathetic!
Old 29 November 2019, 12:01 AM   #86
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
The world has gone snowflake crazy and it’s getting pathetic!
Yes, seems like hypocrisy and ignorance are everywhere, it's very disheartening, nothing like the good old days.
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2019, 12:20 AM   #87
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That can’t be even legal can it? They assume you sold it and charge commission? No contract to show amounts and buyer, so they basically just steal money?
Yes, they basically just steal money.
That's what you can do when you are the world's largest monopsony. What other business can raise there rate from $.10 (the original listing fee) to $1'000 (if you sell a $7'000 item today)

You know those boring emails they send you. You should really read them. They spelled this policy out a couple of years ago. Just Google, eBay fees for ending item early.

Another little secret most people don't notice.
If you sell international there is another 5% in fees.
Even USA to Canada.

There is no business that runs rough shod over there clients like eBay.
Old 29 November 2019, 12:27 AM   #88
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Here is the eBay quote:
ebay charges 10% FVF on the transaction: item price + shipping. These fees are charged to your account and you are billed either the 15th or 30th of each month. You can select to cancel all the current bids and end the listing. You will be charged a penalty equal to 10% of the highest bid.
Old 29 November 2019, 12:30 AM   #89
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

And as I mentioned earlier, than scan your emails.
They will not allow you to send private email addresses or phone numbers in an attempt to prevent private transactions outside the eBay forum.
Old 29 November 2019, 12:33 AM   #90
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Recently we sold a pair of sunglasses to a buyer overseas.
we use eBay's global shipping and they are supposed to send the buyer an invoice.
the buyer said she never received an invoice, we asked eBay what to do and they said we needed to talk to global shipping about that.
by the time we'd get a response eBay would file a claim against our buyer so we just canceled the transaction.
we got a notification that it appeared we were trying to sell the item outside of eBay and they were charging us a commission on it.
Thank you again eBay.