The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 June 2020, 04:04 AM   #1
Tipton444
"TRF" Member

Vintage 1963 Tudor Oyster Prince Submariner Diver Questions!!

Hello all,

My friend and I recently acquired this 1963 Tudor diver, and we are trying to figure out the best way of going about selling it or having it fixed up ourselves. As you can see, this one is pretty beat up, and it needs a new crystal, crown, pearl, and possibly a servicing. At first it wasn't running right away, but as time goes by it seems to be working better and better (I'm guessing it was just kept in a drawer for a long time).

Anyways, I've done a good amount of research and know this is a ref. 7928 with pointed crown guards, but the prices for these watches seem to be all over the place! There's currently only two on Ebay at the moment from 1963, asking 20k and 18k, and the 18k isn't even running correctly, but they both look great. Then you look at other sites and see some from 1963 that sold for 5k, 4k, 8k, and up to a few 15k and they all label them as original with no repro parts.... One of my questions is this...Am I missing something? Were there any very slight variations that can make this watch upwards of 15k? What is the average price for a 1963 tudor in great re-finished condition?

Secondly, I have a coin dealer who is interested in purchasing it as it is, then he plans on fixing it up. I've read that it costs at least $800 just for the servicing of one of these watches, then he would have to buy a crown of the period ($300? I believe?), and a crystal. So my guess is it would cost about 2k to get it looking good, while keeping the original parts. Does that sound realistic? What price do you think it would be? More or less? Basically I'm wondering if I sell it to him for 4k or 5k, and he puts 2k into making it look nice, will he then have a 10k-15k watch? Or do they really max out in price less than that? Keep in mind I don't plan on selling the band to him, which is probably at least another 1k by itself.

That's a lot of questions, so please forgive me! Also, I know most forums do not like you talking price but I hope this is okay just to get an understanding. I'm not looking to sell it here. Thank you all very much for any input!

Eric

rsz_img_20200622_100123451.jpg

rsz_img_20200622_100127481.jpg

rsz_1img_20200622_100105926_2.jpg
Tipton444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:34 PM   #2
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Y’all definitely need to get it fixed, and it won’t be as expensive as you think. Contact Phillip Ridley here on the site.

That’s a very valuable watch in its current condition and even more so if sympathetically repaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 04:59 PM   #3
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

wait for Linesider to chime in who might be the resident tudor submariner expert.

My 2c cents on this is:

1) PCG with chapter dial is more valuable than the usual tudor submariner dials but not as valuable as others, i.e., exclamation dot, underline, all gilt, etc.
2) Looks like all original even with the long 5 bezel insert which is good news
3) bracelet looks to be original too.

I think the above $10K would be more realistic debating how much more north of that is more difficult.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 06:42 PM   #4
lupus66
"TRF" Member

Whats the ser nr?
lupus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 06:43 PM   #5
lupus66
"TRF" Member

Probly all orig late 63/64
lupus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2020, 10:09 PM   #6
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Need better photos. Alwayshere - spot on.

The days of the 20K PCG Tudor is over for a while, it will come back.

1963, not a 64. Silverprint, small sweep. Fixed and original worth low teens.

This will cost more than $800 to fix, probably 2K if everything on the inside looks like the outside.

Yes, if someone buys this at 5k and puts 2K into this, they will have a watch worth over 10k.

Hell, I'll buy it.
Old 26 June 2020, 04:17 AM   #7
Tipton444
"TRF" Member

Excellent information guys, thank you all very much! I was definitely a bit perplexed seeing different sales numbers, but I'm very happy to hear what your posts said. We were definitely hoping it was an untouched watch that has been sitting around for a long time! It's being sent off to Rolex for the servicing, so we will see what there total charge would be, I'll keep everyone updated. I guess it might take upwards of a month but well worth it! The serial number dated to 1963, but I'll have my buddy send me it just to make sure and maybe we can nail down if its the end of the year or not.
Tipton444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 June 2020, 04:35 AM   #8
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
I had a very similar one with 409xxx serial and II.63 in the caseback.

https://www.kaplans.se/sv/auktioner/2543/vara/976078

Yours should not be too much trouble to fix.

Good luck!