The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 March 2012, 08:41 PM   #1
IJP
"TRF" Member

Will keeping gold bands super clean avoid "stretch"?

Regular use of ultrasonic, etc.?
IJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2012, 08:51 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IJP View Post
Regular use of ultrasonic, etc.?
It should help but metal cannot stretch what happens the dirt grit from every day wearing gets around the bracelet pin holes.Now this dirt grit with friction elongates these hole while wearing. But wear snug fit and keep them clean with soap and water and say ultrasonic once a month or so they should last 20 plus years

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2012, 08:52 PM   #3
IJP
"TRF" Member

Thanks very much, great.
IJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2012, 08:53 PM   #4
TSW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP's
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
It should help but metal cannot stretch what happens the dirt grit from every day wearing gets around the bracelet pin holes.Now this dirt grit with friction elongates these hole while wearing. But wear snug fit and keep them clean with soap and water and say ultrasonic once a month or so they should last 20 plus years
X2, And also don't wear your watch too loose.

AP Owners Club
IG @swiss.watch.connection
TSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2012, 09:05 PM   #5
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Old 5 March 2012, 12:28 AM   #6
shgems
"TRF" Member

I agree 100% about keeping the dirt out to prevent wear BUT the statement
" but metal cannot stretch" is totally wrong. Anyone who ever saw a hollow gold rope chain will know metal can stretch or ask an engineer about yield points in metal. An oz of gold can be stretched out and worked into a wire 1 mile long. Some metals are more ductile then others. Those hollow Jubilee links could stretch easy and also wear from dirt.
shgems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 12:46 AM   #7
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by shgems View Post
" but metal cannot stretch" is totally wrong. Anyone who ever saw a hollow gold rope chain will know metal can stretch or ask an engineer about yield points in metal. An oz of gold can be stretched out and worked into a wire 1 mile long. Some metals are more ductile then others. Those hollow Jubilee links could stretch easy and also wear from dirt.
I think we're all aware of the fact that metal can indeed stretch. I believe Padi's point was that when people talk about bracelet "stretch" that it has nothing to do with the metal actually "stretching".

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
ecsub44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 01:01 AM   #8
MoBe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shgems View Post
Technically speaking you are correct about metal yield and stretch but in the case of a metal bracelet I think you`re "stretching" the point rather absurdly,don`t you think?The amount of force required to actually stretch any of the metal components of the bracelet cannot be applied in the manner necessary to make this scenario a reality.

The term "stretch" is a misnomer and refers to the wear of the numerous parts which reduces or increases their size as they wear against one another and allows the bracelet to lengthen due to reduced pin diameter and elongated holes.The reason the Jubilee bracelet has such a reputation for "stretch" is because it has several times the moving parts of an Oyster bracelet.The greater the number of moving parts the greater the potential for lengthening over time.
MoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 02:27 AM   #9
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
Wear occurs when metal rubs on metal. A good tip is to get a small amount of musical instrument oil (flute, clarinet,saxophone etc). This oil is specifically designed for areas where metal rubs against metal . The oil is light and clear. Once a year I apply a small amount of this oil to my ss bracelets. Lay them flat on a sheet of newspaper and apply the oil to all the joints. Let it soak in and then gently clean off any oil with a tissue.This will greatly extend the life of a bracelet. The correct oil must be used, it can be got in any musical instument store for a few cents and it comes in a little plastic bottle which is easy to use. Just make sure you dont have a reaction to the oil first!! but a good wipe down should remove all residue.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 02:30 AM   #10
Dweller of the Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing TRF
Not my pictures, but they illustrate well what stretch is.

Its the metal that wears away. Metal against metal will cause stretch no matter what you do to prevent it, but keping the dirt away will slow down the "stretch process", as dirt acts as a grinder.
Some of this dirt will also be metal that has been worn off from regular wear.

New:

Stretch:
Worn inside the links and at the pins. This increased the space between the links.

Dweller of the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 03:00 AM   #11
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Cleaning is the name of the game IMO. Keep it clean and you will have very few issues... Gold/SS/TT...
Old 5 March 2012, 03:32 AM   #12
DDG

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
I took all four screw pins out of my EXP ll bracelet, and they all need replaced. They each have about 10-25% wear, and I suppose I have an equal amount of wear in the links themselves. I like the idea of lubricated links, but this might be a double edged sword. The miscroscopic grit from day-to-day living would be attracted to the oil. Years ago Caterpillar tractor tracks would wear out very rapidly because sand & dirt would work it's way into the pins & bushings, same as it does on our bracelets. The answer? "SALT"... Sealed And Lubricated Tracks. They last three times as long now. Sealed and lubricated bracelets might last forever.
DDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 03:42 AM   #13
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNBLOWER View Post
Wear occurs when metal rubs on metal. A good tip is to get a small amount of musical instrument oil (flute, clarinet,saxophone etc). This oil is specifically designed for areas where metal rubs against metal . The oil is light and clear. Once a year I apply a small amount of this oil to my ss bracelets. Lay them flat on a sheet of newspaper and apply the oil to all the joints. Let it soak in and then gently clean off any oil with a tissue.This will greatly extend the life of a bracelet. The correct oil must be used, it can be got in any musical instument store for a few cents and it comes in a little plastic bottle which is easy to use. Just make sure you dont have a reaction to the oil first!! but a good wipe down should remove all residue.
Although I'm sure this works well on musical instruments. My Sub is constantly exposed to dirt, dust, sand, etc. I'd be afraid that oil would in fact ATTRACT particulate and increase wear.

Just a thought...

Old 5 March 2012, 03:51 AM   #14
azguy
Banned

Watch: ---------
I think washing it on a regular basis is the best maintenance you can do
azguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 03:58 AM   #15
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Icon14

Thank you for these awesome illustrations !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweller of the Sea View Post
Not my pictures, but they illustrate well what stretch is.

Its the metal that wears away. Metal against metal will cause stretch no matter what you do to prevent it, but keping the dirt away will slow down the "stretch process", as dirt acts as a grinder.
Some of this dirt will also be metal that has been worn off from regular wear.

New:

Stretch:
Worn inside the links and at the pins. This increased the space between the links.

Old 5 March 2012, 05:56 AM   #16
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Guys, gold is a soft metal. softer than steel. so, if you are as muscular as i am, over the course of a normal day, your watch bracelet is certainly subject to stresses and pressure countless times. picking up a kid, putting on a winter coat, quickly reaching for something, t etc.

in sum, stretched bands are an indication of metal fatigue. i am unsure if salt can enhance the wear, but it sounds possible.

while keeping it clean is a nice theory, i cannot believe that you can offset the impact that with stress and pressure has on a band, expecially with gold links.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 05:58 AM   #17
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Guys, gold is a soft metal. softer than steel. so, if you are as muscular as i am, over the course of a normal day, your watch bracelet is certainly subject to stresses and pressure countless times. picking up a kid, putting on a winter coat, quickly reaching for something, t etc.

in sum, stretched bands are an indication of metal fatigue. i am unsure if salt can enhance the wear, but it sounds possible.

while keeping it clean is a nice theory, i cannot believe that you can offset the impact that with stress and pressure has on a band, expecially with gold links.
How much has your gold wedding band stretched over the years?

Old 5 March 2012, 06:02 AM   #18
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...

this was dad's 16010 (no idea what i want to do with it in terms of restoring) - it is almsot 25 years old, worn daily.
i remember dad use to wash the bracelet quite often too.

love this stretch pic
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 06:19 AM   #19
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post

this was dad's 16010 (no idea what i want to do with it in terms of restoring) - it is almsot 25 years old, worn daily.

love this stretch pic
That picture should be on cigarette packets. !
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 09:44 AM   #20
shgems
"TRF" Member

Well, No Im not trying to "stretch" the point absurdly and thanks for that remark by the way. I am real interested since I have a bluesy two tone sub with those hollow center links but SEL ends.
People are saying all the stretch comes from dirt wearing metal away from around the pins and I don't think that is 100% correct. I saw jubilee bands where the metal is stretched away from where the band meets the head. Those hollow center links on the jubilee band have bent out of their original form or stretched NOT just worn by dirt. There can be enough force in day to day wear to bend the metal. Trying to add some thoughts to this thread. Can that happen to my oyster SEL? I don't know but don't call it absurd.

Technically speaking you are correct about metal yield and stretch but in the case of a metal bracelet I think you`re "stretching" the point rather absurdly,don`t you think?The amount of force required to actually stretch any of the metal components of the bracelet cannot be applied in the manner necessary to make this scenario a reality.
Old 5 March 2012, 09:57 AM   #21
shgems
"TRF" Member

By the way the " how much has your wedding band stretched" question is not related to this point since your ring is worn on the finger and does not have the stress applied pulling it outward. More directly to this point is a gold bracelet which will grow or stretch over time from both wear from dirt between the links and metal stretch. The more hollow the bracelet the more the gold stretches. I have been in the business fixing them for 21 years. Im not saying keeping the band clean is not a good idea it is but it is not the whole answer.
Old 5 March 2012, 10:02 AM   #22
snaggle

Watch: SubC, DJII, Omegas
Quote:

love this stretch pic
That is quite a bit of stretch, but believe me, ive seen worse, and it wasn't pretty lol. on a TT jubilee bracelet as well.
snaggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 10:15 AM   #23
JustABreathAway
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Reference
I am somewhat amazed that, for the price of these watches, Rolex cannot or does not find a solution to the 'stretch' problem. The design of these bracelets are decades old, and yet this is still an issue. Perhaps it's a strategic decision by Rolex to build in designed obsolescence, like our wonderful auto companies in Detroit or Apple. From that stand point, Rolex may be practicing smart business to persuade their customers to buy a new bracelet or entirely new watch sooner than would otherwise be necessary. Regardless of the reason, I certainly think a solution for this is long overdue.
JustABreathAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 10:28 AM   #24
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Quote:

love this stretch pic
My Moms TT jubilee was worse than that. After about 25 years of wear and 3-4 links removed it was beyond help. The new band was 3-4x more than the watch was in 1986. To the OP cleaning will slow the stretch but not prevent it.
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 10:31 AM   #25
JustABreathAway
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Reference
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalker View Post
After about 25 years of wear and 3-4 links removed it was beyond help. The new band was 3-4x more than the watch was in 1986. .
Perhaps it is purposeful built-in obsolescence. Smart shrewd business, Rolex. I'm guessing the watch of your mom's TT was still in perfect working order?
JustABreathAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 01:20 PM   #26
FeelingTheBlues
"TRF" Member

Watch: If you wish...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
That picture should be on cigarette packets. !

I found those information very useful, it makes me think I should start to regularly clean my DJ's bracelet!
On va hisser le drapeau blanc un point c'est tout.

- André Fortin
FeelingTheBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 02:03 PM   #27
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

love this stretch pic
Maybe we should recoin the term as flacid bracelet...
Old 5 March 2012, 02:08 PM   #28
tranny
Banned

Watch: 116509,A21330,MVQV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBe View Post
Not necessarily. Gold is very soft and prone to plastic deformation. Gold does not deform elastically like steel. Its stress-strain curve is almost vertical then horizontal. That means that any impact exceeding its stress limit could cause some permanent deformation in the metal, even if just a little bit. Over time, those little impacts could cause noticeable stretch in the bracelet, compounding any joint wear issues.
tranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2012, 02:14 PM   #29
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by transio View Post
Not necessarily. Gold is very soft and prone to plastic deformation. Gold does not deform plastically like steel. Its stress-strain curve is almost vertical then horizontal. That means that any impact exceeding its stress limit could cause some permanent deformation in the metal, even if just a little bit. Over time, those little impacts could cause noticeable stretch in the bracelet, compounding any joint wear issues.
If you've ever seen the links of a "stretched" bracelet (SS or gold) you'll see that it is quite obviously wear to the metal that adds play in the joints. It has little/nothing to do with any actual, physical stretching like you're describing.

Old 5 March 2012, 02:19 PM   #30
tranny
Banned

Watch: 116509,A21330,MVQV
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsub44 View Post
If you've ever seen the links of a "stretched" bracelet (SS or gold) you'll see that it is quite obviously wear to the metal that adds play in the joints. It has little/nothing to do with any actual, physical stretching like you're describing.
Fair enough... I only meant to state that it's "possible" not that it's "actual".
tranny is offline   Reply With Quote