The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 September 2020, 03:03 AM   #1
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
Where to go next?

Hi,

I started out as a general Rolex fan, and slowly purchased six digit Rolexes over the last few years. Recently I purchased a five digit GMT master II. Not only do I love my 16710, but I loved reading all the scholarship on the five digits and how they evolved over time. So with that said, I think that buying older references is really fun and I want to repeat the experience.

So where should I go next?

I’m thinking five digits from late 90s to early 2000s is the place to be for me. When I tried to find a GMT, I noticed that it’s really hard to find a 1675 or 16750 that didn’t have service parts, had box and papers, and had a price in my budget. So I kind of feel late five digits could offer me all of that in a reasonable price range for my budget.

But I’m really open to anything. Bubblebacks, star dials, etc. so as long as I can learn about watches, spend around max 10-15K per watch and still get something that is mostly original and in good condition. Investment is not my consideration either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 04:42 AM   #2
330ci
"TRF" Member

Day Dates, Unique DJs, more common models with complete sets. possibilities are endless really.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 05:48 AM   #3
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
Day Dates, Unique DJs, more common models with complete sets. possibilities are endless really.

Anything you recommend? Any hidden corners that are not well looked at?

116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 06:41 AM   #4
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtalk View Post
Hi,

I started out as a general Rolex fan, and slowly purchased six digit Rolexes over the last few years. Recently I purchased a five digit GMT master II. Not only do I love my 16710, but I loved reading all the scholarship on the five digits and how they evolved over time. So with that said, I think that buying older references is really fun and I want to repeat the experience.

So where should I go next?

I’m thinking five digits from late 90s to early 2000s is the place to be for me. When I tried to find a GMT, I noticed that it’s really hard to find a 1675 or 16750 that didn’t have service parts, had box and papers, and had a price in my budget. So I kind of feel late five digits could offer me all of that in a reasonable price range for my budget.

But I’m really open to anything. Bubblebacks, star dials, etc. so as long as I can learn about watches, spend around max 10-15K per watch and still get something that is mostly original and in good condition. Investment is not my consideration either.

start looking at 4 digit models. Look into a great condition 5513 or maybe at the top end of your range a 1675. As you stated, itll take a bit of some looking but original examples are out there. Enjoy the hunt!
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 06:56 AM   #5
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

there's nothing quite like a 1675 or 5513 with a perfectly faded bezel, well-aged lume (ranges from vanilla ice cream to pumpkin or even mustard yellow) and nice case. Will take some work but I think there are examples out there within the top end of your budget (perhaps without box and papers).

Edit: realizing I basically just said the same thing as Tom. We'll I'll leave it!
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 07:05 AM   #6
subx
"TRF" Member

14060 submariner is a great link from old to new, my favorite mix: 5 digit , pretty lugs, 2line dial,non SEL end links, yet sapphire, gloss dial with white gold surrounds, 580 bracelet, turn of the millenium etc
subx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 07:35 AM   #7
zapokee
"TRF" Member

You're severely limiting your options if you insist on box and papers. They just sit in a cupboard, and you effectively pay through the nose for them.

I'd forget that requirement if I were you, as long as the watch is priced accordingly. It's not like you can't sell on a vintage Rolex if you decide to, with or without B&P.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2020, 07:41 AM   #8
subx
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
You're severely limiting your options if you insist on box and papers. They just sit in a cupboard, and you effectively pay through the nose for them.

I'd forget that requirement if I were you, as long as the watch is priced accordingly. It's not like you can't sell on a vintage Rolex if you decide to, with or without B&P.
sure everyone has their own comfort level, to me box and papers is everything, to that effect I never bought a watch other than from either 1) AD 2) original owner.

but I do agree with you : no one wears them ;)
Old 6 September 2020, 11:52 AM   #9
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post

I agree. I place more importance on the condition of the watch and ensuring I only buy from the reputable vintage trusted sellers on TRF. You will know who they are from checking out the Who’s Who subforum.

Also, there’s no substitute to doing your own research. Even after all these years, I’m always learning new things from reading blogs, articles and forum posts from the knowledgeable members here.