The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 30 August 2021, 09:38 AM   #31
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
Beautiful watch for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2021, 01:16 PM   #32
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
Beautiful watch for sure!

Looks great! I see you have the version with the “Hong Kong” dial. The one I’m looking at does as well but is still BNIB. Interesting to spot this difference and wonder if it will ever impact collectibility..
Old 30 August 2021, 02:47 PM   #33
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

Don’t think 5230 will ever be a future collectible. Looks at its predecessor such as 5110 and 5130. None of them are sought after pieces even years of discontinuation. Even 5131 isn’t doing as great as it used to be. Same goes to 5231j, most recent one.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 09:36 AM   #34
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

No date , no seconds, and busy dial which makes telling time at a glance challenging (for me)- I wanted to love this reference and tried it on many times but just couldn’t get past those things . With that said, it is a pretty time piece and I’m glad there are those who can appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2021, 11:38 AM   #35
AHG
"TRF" Member

Why does London have the red triangle underneath it in the 5230?
AHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2021, 01:32 PM   #36
AHG
"TRF" Member

GMT time. Answered my own question. I recently tried on the 5230G in the store. It’s much lovelier in person. I may be going back tomorrow to purchase it as my first Patek. I agree it’s not the best for quick time telling, but it’s a work of art on your wrist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 17 November 2021, 07:07 PM   #37
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Amazing watch!!!

I have a question for 5230 owners. I think the answer is 'no' but would love to have that confirmed by people who know for sure as I could not find the answer online.

Does the 5230 have lume? Looking closely at a picture of the dial made me wonder if perhaps the 24 hours ring, which is 50% white with dark numerals and 50% dark with with numerals, countains lume. The white numerals could contain lume and so could the white part of the ring.

Thank you in advance for making me wiser!
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2021, 03:17 AM   #38
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

I am in love with the 5231. List is closed (at least for me), because there are only a few pieces per year (even in Geneva).

5230 is a lot easier to get.
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2021, 04:52 AM   #39
bogdoc
"TRF" Member

Isn’t 5231 an application piece?
bogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2021, 06:49 AM   #40
P1nky_Up
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUguy View Post
Amazing watch!!!

I have a question for 5230 owners. I think the answer is 'no' but would love to have that confirmed by people who know for sure as I could not find the answer online.

Does the 5230 have lume? Looking closely at a picture of the dial made me wonder if perhaps the 24 hours ring, which is 50% white with dark numerals and 50% dark with with numerals, countains lume. The white numerals could contain lume and so could the white part of the ring.

Thank you in advance for making me wiser!
No lume.
P1nky_Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2021, 07:49 AM   #41
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
I have always loved the look of Patek world time watches. I think they are so classy and have such a unique look compared to the other references in the catalog, especially because of the dial. I tried on the newer 5230R version which has a really proportionate case size dimensions and the movement is absolutely gorgeous!

Any thoughts as to why these sit in the cases and don't seem to have the same demand? I understand the limitations of the world time complication not being able to do half time zones or daylight savings. But it just seems strange to me that these trade at a "relative" discount and it is quite tempting to pick one up. Thoughts welcomed!
The Vacheron WTs actually do show half time zones!
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2021, 07:51 AM   #42
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdoc View Post
Isn’t 5231 an application piece?
It sadly is.
There are no lists for the 5231. It's purpose is to "reward" some loyal (and wealhty) clients ;-)
Old 19 November 2021, 07:52 AM   #43
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHG View Post
GMT time. Answered my own question. I recently tried on the 5230G in the store. It’s much lovelier in person. I may be going back tomorrow to purchase it as my first Patek. I agree it’s not the best for quick time telling, but it’s a work of art on your wrist.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agreed but who on this forum really uses wristwatches to tell time.
I certainly don't
Old 19 November 2021, 08:00 AM   #44
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittayos View Post
Don’t think 5230 will ever be a future collectible. Looks at its predecessor such as 5110 and 5130. None of them are sought after pieces even years of discontinuation. Even 5131 isn’t doing as great as it used to be. Same goes to 5231j, most recent one.
And so what?

The 5230 is going to be my next patek (still need to decide if white or rose gold). I'll probably loose money on it but so what.

It's a great timepiece, pure class. And it's roots go deeper to PP than any overhyped aquanaut that for some reasons people decided they needed because of a few instagram posts and that 10y ago nobody wanted.

The whole watch game is now running in circles and it now feels more a venture cap or crypto like environment. Everybody just speaks $ and finding the next unicorn.

Probably overreacting, as the game is what it is, but your comment made me feel sad.
Old 19 November 2021, 08:06 AM   #45
AHG
"TRF" Member

And here she is. So beautiful in person. My first Patek. Awaiting the shorter strap to be delivered. I'm surprised how long the standard strap is.

Old 19 November 2021, 08:13 AM   #46
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Congrats!!! Tried one [again] yesterday. Amazing watch
If I may ask, did you hesitate with the RG version and if yes what made you decide for YG. Am currently torn.
Thanks
Old 19 November 2021, 08:41 AM   #47
AHG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
Congrats!!! Tried one [again] yesterday. Amazing watch
If I may ask, did you hesitate with the RG version and if yes what made you decide for YG. Am currently torn.
Thanks
Thank you. So there is currently only a RG and WG version. The YG is the 5231 with the center enamel dial that is in a different price range. So I didn't expect to like the WG as much as RG. But it's a more versatile color and I prefer YG to RG. RG seems to blend with my skin and I prefer more contrast. I also thought the white/grey/silver dial works better with the WG. RG generally for me limits what I can wear the watch with and I want to wear this watch frequently. You won't be disappointed with either.
This dovetails into my next comment, which is that Patek (and other brands) should start bringing back YG on most of their models. There are multiple other models that I'd consider if YG was an option.
Old 19 November 2021, 05:49 PM   #48
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHG View Post
Thank you. So there is currently only a RG and WG version. The YG is the 5231 with the center enamel dial that is in a different price range. So I didn't expect to like the WG as much as RG. But it's a more versatile color and I prefer YG to RG. RG seems to blend with my skin and I prefer more contrast. I also thought the white/grey/silver dial works better with the WG. RG generally for me limits what I can wear the watch with and I want to wear this watch frequently. You won't be disappointed with either.
This dovetails into my next comment, which is that Patek (and other brands) should start bringing back YG on most of their models. There are multiple other models that I'd consider if YG was an option.
Thanks - and yes of course, typed YG instead of RG in my previous post...
Congrats again
Old 19 November 2021, 06:53 PM   #49
EUguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1nky_Up View Post
No lume.
Thank you!
EUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2021, 05:40 AM   #50
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
Agreed but who on this forum really uses wristwatches to tell time.
I certainly don't
Totally agree. :)

(Controversial) As the quintessential horological sprezzatura, I rarely set the time and date of my watches when wearing them (only when it is required in important business or very formal events).
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2021, 04:23 AM   #51
zenas428
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Root Beer
Its beautiful piece.
zenas428 is offline   Reply With Quote