The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 25 November 2021, 02:01 AM   #1
ksing
"TRF" Member

New to Patek

Hello everyone. Hope you're all well.

I have been collecting watches for around 12 years now with my very first watch being a Rolex Daytona 116520 that I purchased directly from an AD when I saw it on the window in Europe (how times have changed). Up until now I have a collection of nine watches with majority of them being Rolex and a couple of AP. I have made purchases from both ADs as well as well as grey market. Coincidentally I haven't sold one before since I enjoy wearing all of the watches I own.

Recently, I have been looking into Patek Philippe but having never owned one before and no relationship with any of their ADs, I'm not sure which of their watches I should be looking into that wouldn't be impossible to get for a first time customer. So I wanted to get some recommendations from TRF on which nice PP models I should approach the ADs with that I would be able to buy as well as to start building some sort of relationship with them. My wrist size is very small so the max size I could go with would be a 40mm (between 37 to 39 would be perfect). Ideally I would like it to be within my budget of around 60k USD for my first PP watch. Would very much appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thank you.
ksing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 03:03 AM   #2
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
6119r and g are both great looking watches and within your budget.
Old 25 November 2021, 03:33 AM   #3
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

5230 world time (white or rose gold) - All day everyday !
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 03:35 AM   #4
ksing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
6119r and g are both great looking watches and within your budget.
Thank you.

From looking at the Patek website a few that I have been looking at so far that seems to be within budget and should not be too big for my wrist are 6119 (that you suggested), 5227g, 5196p, 5230, 5396, 5088p, 5327g (the last two are a bit more than budget). I’m not sure at all about the availability of any of these models or how nice they are in real since I haven’t tried them on yet but plan to try on as many as possible before I decide.

Would be great to hear your thoughts on these as well as other models that fits my criteria that I haven’t included. Thanks again.
Old 25 November 2021, 03:38 AM   #5
ksing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperolSpritz View Post
5230 world time (white or rose gold) - All day everyday !
Thank you. I was looking at that as well. How do you compare them with the other models that I listed above and how easy/difficult is it to get that model as a first watch from the AD?
Old 25 November 2021, 03:46 AM   #6
ts3
"TRF" Member

Pretty much anything under the Complications, Calatrava, and Golden Ellipse headers on the Patek website is fairly easy to get (moderate wait or less). The few exceptions include 5212A, 5905A, and 5231J. The website also lists the prices in my country and recently a guy wrote on here how to access the prices for any country no matter where you are based.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 04:58 AM   #7
Captainbob
"TRF" Member

5196P is a standout especially with your wrist size and 5396G a classic design. 5196 also if you can get it is already a future classic and as good an investment as you’ll get in the calatrava range and a stepping stone for trading up in the future. It’s probably too late now but 5296 sector dial was my first Patek - maybe somewhere in the world an AD will have an NOS available.
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 06:01 AM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksing View Post
Hello everyone. Hope you're all well.

I have been collecting watches for around 12 years now with my very first watch being a Rolex Daytona 116520 that I purchased directly from an AD when I saw it on the window in Europe (how times have changed). Up until now I have a collection of nine watches with majority of them being Rolex and a couple of AP. I have made purchases from both ADs as well as well as grey market. Coincidentally I haven't sold one before since I enjoy wearing all of the watches I own.

Recently, I have been looking into Patek Philippe but having never owned one before and no relationship with any of their ADs, I'm not sure which of their watches I should be looking into that wouldn't be impossible to get for a first time customer. So I wanted to get some recommendations from TRF on which nice PP models I should approach the ADs with that I would be able to buy as well as to start building some sort of relationship with them. My wrist size is very small so the max size I could go with would be a 40mm (between 37 to 39 would be perfect). Ideally I would like it to be within my budget of around 60k USD for my first PP watch. Would very much appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thank you.
Start visiting as many Patek ADs and try on as many Patek watches as you can. You will find out what you like and what you don't like. AFAIK HK has the highest density of Patek ADs.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 06:13 AM   #9
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

What a nice journey you are starting on. Within your parameters, I'd say a 5205g with the blue fumée dial would be a great option. Good luck in the hunt!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2021, 07:37 AM   #10
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksing View Post
Thank you. I was looking at that as well. How do you compare them with the other models that I listed above and how easy/difficult is it to get that model as a first watch from the AD?
I am not a Calatrava lover personally. I don't deny they are great watches, well built and of perfect finishing but I find them too old school and too "boring" for the money - but my personal opinion.

In the complications : I like the 5205 and the 5905's but they will be a bit substantial on your wrist at 40 and 42mm

My favorite and it matches your quest for smaller watches is really the 5230. It's 38.5mm x 10.2mm. It's a good size for you and the watch itself is a piece of history. World timers are a PP specialty and this is an amazing timepiece. Much more satisfying than a time + date configuration.

This is my next patek personally.

And availability? Even as first purchase, you enter the boutique, you pay and you get out with the watch - same day !
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 01:25 PM   #11
llngoc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbob View Post
5196P is a standout especially with your wrist size and 5396G a classic design. 5196 also if you can get it is already a future classic and as good an investment as you’ll get in the calatrava range and a stepping stone for trading up in the future. It’s probably too late now but 5296 sector dial was my first Patek - maybe somewhere in the world an AD will have an NOS available.

I don’t think 5196p is in production anymore. That’s what my AD told me months ago. Not sure why it is still on the website to tease us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
llngoc is offline   Reply With Quote