The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 November 2017, 05:22 PM   #211
Atomic4k
"TRF" Member

When I first got it I showed it off to my friends who are WIS, if it's someone I don't know and they ask I tell them it's a Fauxlex. Everyone else doesn't seem to notice or care.
Atomic4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 05:23 PM   #212
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1
Never been asked but I would not unless they were close family members and even then only under certain conditions (seated, over a table, etc.).

And no, I didn't let anyone hold my newborns except under close supervision either. No one but me or my wife drives my pickup - I'll arrange to help rather than let someone else drive. And not even my wife drives my 1976 Eldorado convertible. That's mine alone.
SevenWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 05:36 PM   #213
4srolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gears in motion
Don't have a problem letting a friend or family member look / try on my watches. I was in Vegas last year at the Wynn AD and asked if they had any white Daytona C for display and the rep said "No" but a customer looking at watches had one on and took it off and just handed it me out of the blue. I thought that was pretty cool since I didn't even know the guy.

When people ask how was your day? I tell them: "Same circus just different clowns!"
4srolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 05:48 PM   #214
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Sure if they asked me, why not?
Old 13 November 2017, 05:59 PM   #215
Godfather111
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Step
Only to close friends. I even voluntarily take it off and let them wear it for a while. Because some of my friends do the same when I ask about their timepiece. But I understand the trepidation.

As a gun collector, I have friends over and they want to see and handle a piece or two. I always remove the mag and make sure the chamber is empty. Still, it bites me that almost always, non-gun enthusiasts will finger the trigger and/or wave the gun around to my direction or the other fellas. One guy even dry-fired without asking! While unknowingly pointing it at another guy's direction!

I often end up having to remind them to keep the finger outside the trigger guard, and always point it downwards. And those are just with the pistols, most friends are even worse with the rifles.

I have the same feeling of wariness around non-watch enthusiasts. Now I just give them my wrist, and they usually just ogle the watch for a couple of seconds and that's it.
Godfather111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 06:04 PM   #216
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1
I can understand why people would be OK with letting others handle the watch. They've considered all the risks and in their mind, it is acceptable. Fair enough. What I don't get is when someone says "it is just a watch", or "why not?" as if a multi-thousand dollar watch is the same as a $25 no-name from TJ Max.
SevenWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 06:29 PM   #217
Switch
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
The underlying assumption is that should damage occur, then the guilty person will try make amends.

No one seems to consider what would you do if someone handling your watch damaged or lost it and refused to pay for the damage with a variety of excuses, lack of money, deny accountability, etc.
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:26 AM   #218
bradbyrd1110
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126233
No, I let them drool and undress it with their eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 November 2017, 05:40 AM   #219
NeoAnderson
"TRF" Member

I would.
NeoAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:41 AM   #220
Corsair66
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenWays View Post
What I don't get is when someone says "it is just a watch", or "why not?" as if a multi-thousand dollar watch is the same as a $25 no-name from TJ Max.
People have a range of thresholds, that's all. The "it's not that big a deal" number is widely variable and dependent on a range of factors. Risk tolerance, insurance coverage, and the other party's perceived ability/inclination to make good on any damage, to name just three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
The underlying assumption is that should damage occur, then the guilty person will try make amends.
"There is no try." - Yoda

Quote:
No one seems to consider what would you do if someone handling your watch damaged or lost it and refused to pay for the damage with a variety of excuses, lack of money, deny accountability, etc.
That's where one's own judgement comes into play. I'd never hand my watch to a stranger or someone I though unable or disinclined to cover any incidents that might occur. By the same token, I don't make indiscriminate loans of any possession. All of that said, I wouldn't hesitate to hand a watch (or car keys, for that matter) to a select few friends without any further discussion/warnings. They've been entirely pre-vetted by me over years and, after all...

It's only a watch!
Corsair66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 05:56 AM   #221
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I just came back from an international meeting. A bunch of my coworkers/friends/customers happen to be watch enthusiasts.

We traded off watches over the week. I brought my 116500. Wore a rose gold Lange 1815 up/down, a 507 pronzo, an AP Navy, an AP Panda a VC 1921. Was very cool. :)
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 06:46 AM   #222
chrito
"TRF" Member

no
chrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 08:04 AM   #223
tkao2025
"TRF" Member

Why not? It's just a watch. You wouldn't want to make your friend awkward for asking. Watches can be fixed. Friendships sometimes cannot.
tkao2025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 08:19 AM   #224
hsm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonKrick View Post
I am happy to hand over my watch for others to see and try on.

And as for my cars. Anyone who wants to try my vehicles are more than welcome. In fact, I encourage people to take my cars out for a spin. It's so fulfilling to see the exhilaration on their faces driving things they most likely will never get to drive. And not to brag. My vehicles are all in excess of $200K. Well, except my Toyota that I take on Costco trips.

What's the point of having nice things if you can't share it with others who ask?

all in excess of 200k, so what are these vehicles?
hsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 08:19 AM   #225
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkao2025 View Post
Why not? It's just a watch. You wouldn't want to make your friend awkward for asking. Watches can be fixed. Friendships sometimes cannot.
/Thread
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 09:37 AM   #226
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
I've let some friends and co workers check out the DD. They've all been obsessively careful. It's the AD and watchmakers that freak me out. Flinging the watch all over the place while we're talking
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 09:39 AM   #227
Bello_nyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
If they know what theyre doing . Why not?
♛ Datejust2 116334 💎💎
Bello_nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 10:02 AM   #228
run23
"TRF" Member

I think it goes without saying that the question assumes that the person isn’t going to steal your watch. We’re not being asked ‘would you let some shady character you just met in a bar handle your easy to pocket $7,000 piece of jewelry?’.

No one has ever asked me, but I can’t really think of any reason I wouldn’t say yes, assuming the person is in a mental state (ie, not drunk out of his/her mind) where I would let them touch anything valuable of mine. In other words, anyone I would trust to use my iPhone to make a quick call, I would also let handle my watch.
run23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 10:11 AM   #229
gwalker
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD; 116610LN
Do any of you allow friends or colleagues to handle your Rolex?

Yes. I’ve let friends wear my watches for extended periods in the past. I let my friends take out my boat (31’ center console) pretty often and it’s a heck of a lot more expensive than most rolexes. Not to mention a lot more can go wrong on a boat than letting someone handle my watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 12:20 PM   #230
skkali168
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116689
I do if they are into watches and understand how to handle them. I don’t if they aren’t into watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
skkali168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2017, 03:57 PM   #231
Egelber
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060 2019
I let my golf buddy wear my SubC and I wore his old TT D/J with the diamond dial. No big deal.. If a stranger asks, I will always show it. But from the stories that are told from these watches being dropped on a hard surface, I usually take mine off in the bedroom or closet where I have carpet.
Egelber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sharing , survey