The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 September 2017, 12:18 PM   #1
newbrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub LV
Help me pick a new strap!

Hi all!

I just picked up a new polar explorer ii. I love it!! It's funny, I did SO much research beforehand whether I wanted the new one or old one (42mm or 40mm), but then once I got to the store and actually tried them both on for the first time, the decision was so easy - old version looked boring on my wrist (nothing against it though!), and I just had to have the new one - maxi dial and orange hand are awesome (and looks totally fine on my 6.5" wrists).

All along my plan has been to buy a rubber strap for it. I have a sub which I love on the bracelet, and this one I want to be more of a rugged "explorer" watch that I'm not afraid to take on activities and stuff - and based on pics I've seen I love the look of it with a rubber strap. Of course I've done just as much research on the strap. While Everest looks like the winner according to reviews, they don't make a strap for the 42mm explorer ii, so I am going with Rubber B. And even though the initial set up is a hassle, I love the look with the original Rolex clasp so I am planning to get that vs the tang buckle - so that also rules out all other brands which don't allow you to incorporate the rolex clasp.

NOW, for the life of me I can't decide which color to get!! Black is definitely very versatile (dress up or down), but the black with orange stripe looks super sharp and brings out the orange on the dial. And even though I ruled this out from the very beginning, now I am loving the orange strap - really looks cool, but I am worried it may be too flashy / sporty? (after all I do spend most of my day in the office). Here's the pics of the orange strap that really got me thinking: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=462315
options here: http://rubberb.com/en/rolex-watch-ba...er-ii-new-42mm

Anyone out there care to offer some insight? I'm already pretty set on the rubber b with clasp - it's a shame they are so expensive otherwise I'd pick up a bunch of them.
Much appreciated!
newbrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 12:22 PM   #2
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbrolex View Post
Hi all!

I just picked up a new polar explorer ii. I love it!! It's funny, I did SO much research beforehand whether I wanted the new one or old one (42mm or 40mm), but then once I got to the store and actually tried them both on for the first time, the decision was so easy - old version looked boring on my wrist (nothing against it though!), and I just had to have the new one - maxi dial and orange hand are awesome (and looks totally fine on my 6.5" wrists).

All along my plan has been to buy a rubber strap for it. I have a sub which I love on the bracelet, and this one I want to be more of a rugged "explorer" watch that I'm not afraid to take on activities and stuff - and based on pics I've seen I love the look of it with a rubber strap. Of course I've done just as much research on the strap. While Everest looks like the winner according to reviews, they don't make a strap for the 42mm explorer ii, so I am going with Rubber B. And even though the initial set up is a hassle, I love the look with the original Rolex clasp so I am planning to get that vs the tang buckle - so that also rules out all other brands which don't allow you to incorporate the rolex clasp.

NOW, for the life of me I can't decide which color to get!! Black is definitely very versatile (dress up or down), but the black with orange stripe looks super sharp and brings out the orange on the dial. And even though I ruled this out from the very beginning, now I am loving the orange strap - really looks cool, but I am worried it may be too flashy / sporty? (after all I do spend most of my day in the office). Here's the pics of the orange strap that really got me thinking: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=462315
options here: http://rubberb.com/en/rolex-watch-ba...er-ii-new-42mm

Anyone out there care to offer some insight? I'm already pretty set on the rubber b with clasp - it's a shame they are so expensive otherwise I'd pick up a bunch of them.
Much appreciated!
Depends on what else you have in the collection. I'd go with the polar to 'mix it up' a bit.
Old 12 September 2017, 12:45 PM   #3
newbrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Depends on what else you have in the collection. I'd go with the polar to 'mix it up' a bit.
you mean the white rubber b strap? I already own the polar explorer ii.
And the sub lv that I'm keeping on the oyster bracelet.
newbrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 12:53 PM   #4
PLNYC
"TRF" Member

I like the orange rubber
Old 12 September 2017, 12:56 PM   #5
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm already pretty set on the rubber b with clasp - it's a shame they are so expensive otherwise I'd pick up a bunch of them.
Much appreciated!
You spent like $7000 or whatever on the watch. Certainly you can spend an additional $440 for two straps (orange and black) that each give the Polar a unique look. If you just want one strap, pick up the black. The orange is so unique you may not want to wear it for every occasion.
No SUBctitute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 01:15 PM   #6
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
I love the Rubber B on the polar Exp II. Like you, I was hesitant due to the price, but found one for 1/2 off on a forum who tried it ad wasn't a fan.

Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2017, 01:20 PM   #7
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
I love the Rubber B on the polar Exp II. Like you, I was hesitant due to the price, but found one for 1/2 off on a forum who tried it ad wasn't a fan.
Nice. Can we see a pic with clasp and the orange stripe on the strap?
Old 12 September 2017, 01:47 PM   #8
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
you mean the white rubber b strap? I already own the polar explorer ii.
And the sub lv that I'm keeping on the oyster bracelet.
My mistake. The black with the orange stripe looks like a great combo.
Old 12 September 2017, 03:43 PM   #9
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Nice. Can we see a pic with clasp and the orange stripe on the strap?

Sure.

Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2017, 12:32 PM   #10
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
Sure.

Interesting. Thanks!

Tags
explorer , explorer ii , rubber b , strap