The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2017, 08:36 AM   #31
Wildy
"TRF" Member

I would get the AP in a heartbeat. The 15400 is IMHO THE iconic watch.
Old 26 October 2017, 09:00 AM   #32
tng11
"TRF" Member

No question I would swap for an RO. I have a BLNR and like it, but the RO feels a lot more special. I wear it near daily, whereas I only wear the BLNR 2 or 3 times a month. It shows wear less than the BLNR, and there's just so much to admire about the details on the watch. As good of a watch Rolex is, the finishing simply is not at the same level as the RO.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 09:32 AM   #33
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
BLNR can be easily replaced. RO on the other hand and due to multitude of reasons (Genta, beautifully hand finish bezel and case, awesome 3120, butter-fly bracelet...), is just very special on the wrist

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 09:35 AM   #34
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Go with the AP. If it has to be between the two you've mentioned I would go with the chrono. If you are looking for a 39mm I would try and find a 15202. Its THE royal oak to have. If you can swing a 41mm I would go with a 15400 or new chrono. I've had 10 APs over the last 5 years and my rolexes dont nearly get the wrist time now. My AP diver (3120 movement) has been a beater that whole time and has stood up better than my DSSD that was my daily beater before.

singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 09:49 AM   #35
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The BLNR AND the Speedy? Gosh, no.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 10:12 AM   #36
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Hi! Audemars Piguet falls in the haute hologerie category of watchmakers. The finishing of their watches are exquisite. If you baby your Rolex and Omega, you'll be babying the Audemars Piguet even more.

A major note is the official servicing costs which will be at least double of what you may have experienced with an official Rolex service. Additionally the recommended service intervals is a lot more frequent than a present day Rolex. It is another level of luxury. Buy it when you have cash to spare.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 10:54 AM   #37
motlking
"TRF" Member

AP seem to have reliability issues which to me are unacceptable for such a premium product. Quite a few people have reported their Royal oaks dying which doesn't sit well with me.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
motlking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 11:00 AM   #38
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
Absolutely
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 11:30 AM   #39
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
Was at an event over the weekend and someone had a black dial 41mm RO.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new DJ41, but that AP is awesome.

That's probably the only AP that I would want though. With a blue dial.

That 50m of water resistance is not acceptable though.

Not only do I struggle to imagine anyone diving in a RO but going beyond 50 metres? I’m seeing more and more hang ups about the water resistance of watches being unacceptable. Unless one is buying to go sat diving, I really don’t get it.

Back on topic, I would make that trade in a heartbeat.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 11:35 AM   #40
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Not only do I struggle to imagine anyone diving in a RO but going beyond 50 metres? I’m seeing more and more hang ups about the water resistance of watches being unacceptable. Unless one is buying to go sat diving, I really don’t get it.
In general I think most watches should be at least 100m. Doesn't make sense for a royal oak to be 50m.

Just about every $100 off the shelf seiko offers 100m of water resistance.
Old 26 October 2017, 11:42 AM   #41
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by donut View Post
I would keep the BLNR and save more money to go for AP Royal Oak.
I've got both. Keep the BLNR - save for the RO. It's worth it but you'd miss the rugged utility of the BLNR.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 08:01 PM   #42
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sutats View Post
Hi! Audemars Piguet falls in the haute hologerie category of watchmakers. The finishing of their watches are exquisite. If you baby your Rolex and Omega, you'll be babying the Audemars Piguet even more.

A major note is the official servicing costs which will be at least double of what you may have experienced with an official Rolex service. Additionally the recommended service intervals is a lot more frequent than a present day Rolex. It is another level of luxury. Buy it when you have cash to spare.
Double to service an AP? I have owned dozens of AP's and just got my 15305st back from service and it cost $840 shipped back to me from APSC. That is also a $40k watch. So you are saying RSC cost $400 to service a watch now? Last I checked prices are more along the $750 range. So your off by quite a bit. Also on a percentage of cost basis the AP is far cheaper. Also in terms of years for a service I am at 5 years on my AP's. I think that is pretty close to Rolex but of course one can wait much longer if they choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motlking View Post
AP seem to have reliability issues which to me are unacceptable for such a premium product. Quite a few people have reported their Royal oaks dying which doesn't sit well with me.

I have not experienced any reliability issues with any of my AP's and agin I have owned many over the years and still do. I have also never heard of anyone having an RO die and am on the AP forum many times a day so this is news to me. It's ok to prefer a watch over another but let's keep it factual and real.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 08:08 PM   #43
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinswatch22 View Post
Hi All,

I am currently toying with the idea of swapping out my BLNR for an AP Royal Oak. I have had my BLNR for almost a year now and I do love it, it is a beautiful watch and wears amazingly, however I have always been a big Royal Oak fan and I'm at a point where they are in reach. The kicker is that I would also have to add my Speedy Pro to the BLNR in the swap in order to pick up the Royal Oak, which is another great and iconic piece.

I was wondering if any of you have had the experience of owning or wearing both the BLNR and Royal Oak and what your thoughts and impressions on the two watches are? Do you think it's worth swapping the BLNR and Speedy for a Royal Oak or do you think having the versatility of owning both the GMT and Chrono outweighs having just one AP? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
I have a GMT II and a RO. The GMT gets less than half of the wrist time the AP does. Different watches for sure, but the AP is more special. As far as bracelets go there is absolutely no comparison and the same goes for finishing quality.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 08:09 PM   #44
motlking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I have not experienced any reliability issues with any of my AP's and agin I have owned many over the years and still do. I have also never heard of anyone having an RO die and am on the AP forum many times a day so this is news to me. It's ok to prefer a watch over another but let's keep it factual and real.
Ok so you a single user have never had a problem with AP. You also have never heard of a single person with an AP Royal Oak which has died.

Alright, I guess everyone who buys an AP won't have any issues because you haven't had any. Also news of AP RO dying is not factual because you never heard of it. Right.

motlking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 08:14 PM   #45
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ok so you a single user have never had a problem with AP. You also have never heard of a single person with an AP Royal Oak which has died.

Alright, I guess everyone who buys an AP won't have any issues because you haven't had any. Also news of AP RO dying is not factual because you never heard of it. Right.

I've had an issue not with a RO specifically, but its about scale here. Its not common at all and i don't think its rampant with watches breaking. The rolex forum has more QC issues but its also more active so a lot of those threads get buried after a day. "Issues" tend to hang around on the AP forum as there is less traffic. With similar sample sizes and scale, i would say its close.

Despite me actually having an issue i would still pick the AP over the Rolex as the watch was fixed and it was free. Its that nice of a watch.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 26 October 2017, 08:18 PM   #46
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:

Yes you are correct I have never had a problem. Yes you are correct I have not read of anyone who had an RO dying on any AP forum. I have read of some other problems (and few at that) no different than any other watch brand. I speak from actual ownership and experience. How many RO's have you owned? Did they die on you? How many people do you know that owned an RO that died on them?

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 08:26 PM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I've had an issue not with a RO specifically, but its about scale here. Its not common at all and i don't think its rampant with watches breaking. The rolex forum has more QC issues but its also more active so a lot of those threads get buried after a day. "Issues" tend to hang around on the AP forum as there is less traffic. With similar sample sizes and scale, i would say its close.

Despite me actually having an issue i would still pick the AP over the Rolex as the watch was fixed and it was free. Its that nice of a watch.
Yes, all watch brands have issues and the given their production numbers and the members here the issues are roughly in proportion. Also with AP problems tend to show themselves early so are covered by warranty and with usually excellent customer service and turnaround.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2017, 08:31 PM   #48
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Yes, all watch brands have issues and the given their production numbers and the members here the issues are roughly in proportion. Also with AP problems tend to show themselves early so are covered by warranty and with usually excellent customer service and turnaround.
this is true and i don't know why, but if there is going to be an issue which is rare it happens right off the bat. Its typically chronograph related and not related to time and date watches.

Most of the issues with chronographs i have seen is overwhelmingly when they were new. I haven't heard of repeat issues following the fix. Its still the exception and not the rule.
Old 27 October 2017, 12:11 PM   #49
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Load of Bollocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutats View Post

I have a 15300 and it never gets babied. It gets the same treatment as my Rolexes. Service costs for the 15300 were less than $1K. Spread that over 7 years (yes 7 years) and if you’ve got a problem with that, then switch to collecting bottle tops and ring pulls for a cheaper hobby.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 12:16 PM   #50
Le Chef
"TRF" Member

Data Support?

Quote:

I’m guessing you work for AP QC and have statistical data to support your argument and have comparative data from Rolex too. You must be important! My singular experience is no problem with my AP and have not heard from other AP owners I’m acquainted with having any reliability problems either.
Le Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 12:27 PM   #51
denmanproject
"TRF" Member

I traded my SubC and IWC 3777 for a 15400 a while ago, great watch really liked it but not good as an only watch IMO ended up selling it and now have a BLNR and IWC 3878 haha

Nothing against the AP just would be best to add it rather than replace
denmanproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 01:07 PM   #52
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Ap trumps modern Rolex any day
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2017, 09:28 PM   #53
DJRikki
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post

Back on topic, I would make that trade in a heartbeat.
50m doesnt really mean 50m it means pressure equivalent to that of standing water at that depth. Or slipping into the water and slowly going to that depth.

Having running water from a tap can exert pressures on a watch and its seals more than a 30m rating ...

Old 28 October 2017, 03:38 AM   #54
Tampashooter
"TRF" Member

lol at the AP service being more. Or even equal with RSC. AP service, in person, is unequalled. Treated like a king.
Tampashooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice sought , wwyd