The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 July 2018, 08:03 AM   #1
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
A monthly journal of trying to get a Daytona 116500

With all the investment threads out there, why not document my many unsuccessful attempts at acquiring my “grail” watch, a Daytona 116510 white dial.

I started the quest last Feb. (2018). Up to this point, I owned about 3 Rolex and 2 Tudor watches.

In Feb I reached out to two local ADs. No prior relationships with either AD (one large non-chain store and other a smaller AD. No dice at either (as expected).

In March 2018, I gave the smaller AD a call after learning a friend is a regular customer. I mention my friend. No dice with the Daytona. However, my friend's non-watch and watch buying history is enough to get me a GMT BNLR at MSRP. Now I have my own history with the AD.

No luck in April.

When May comes along, I give my new personal rep at the AD a call. No luck. However, after Mother's Day, I make a quick call to try again. I was offered a Sub LVc. I never owned a Sub but what the heck, it's a cool watch and something different. It's an expensive buy for a watch that I dislike the bezel but the dial is beautiful and it's my first Sub.

No Daytona luck in June. I tried my AD plus two others. The 3rd AD is a national chain but put me on their Daytona list. I was wearing the Hulk at the time so maybe the Sales Rep knew I was a serious WIS. He could have also took my info just to get me out of there.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 08:15 AM   #2
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Congrats on the BLNR and LVc

Good luck out there with the hunt!!!
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 08:15 AM   #3
jcdeng
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, SD43, Bluesy
you were able to get the hulk after you got the bat. Most would call that very lucky already.
jcdeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 08:26 AM   #4
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Subbed, want to see how your journey pans out. Good luck, the chase is bitter sweet.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 08:30 AM   #5
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
That’s an original idea to write such journal. I only write the journal only after a successful acquisition. That way I won’t forget the “rationale’ behind the purchase plus the challenges and struggle to get one.

You’re definitely lucky to get both LVc and BLNR in the same year, in a short span of months. Definitely a Daytona C 116500 is very near soon with patience.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 08:33 AM   #6
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
Great read.
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 08:56 AM   #7
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many.
Awesome post and very good luck already being able to acquire a BLNR and LVC so quickly. I'm beginning to think I'll need to start building a relationship with a local AD if I wish to have any chance at acquiring a Daytona at MSRP.
jbk45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 09:01 AM   #8
remrk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk45 View Post
Awesome post and very good luck already being able to acquire a BLNR and LVC so quickly. I'm beginning to think I'll need to start building a relationship with a local AD if I wish to have any chance at acquiring a Daytona at MSRP.
Yes that’s really the only way and how I got mine after 4 months. In person visits to the AD and buying history goes a long way.
remrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 09:08 AM   #9
Dompropat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Interested to see how this goes. Good luck, OP!
Dompropat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 02:14 PM   #10
jbk45
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by remrk View Post
Yes that’s really the only way and how I got mine after 4 months. In person visits to the AD and buying history goes a long way.
It only took you 4 months? May I ask when you began your AD relationship and what your purchase history was? If you're saying you built a new relationship with an AD in 4 months then sourced a Daytona, that's an incredibly short amount of time and gives me hope lol
jbk45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 02:24 PM   #11
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
All the best
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 02:26 PM   #12
Chute
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6 digit Rolex+APRO
Best of luck to you!
I ordered my white 116500 the morning of Basel 2016. I didn’t get it until November 2017. It was from a big chain AD I had bought at least 5 other stainless Rolex from.
They were able to offer me a black 116500 in July 2018, but the white took longer.
Chute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 09:11 PM   #13
metdrdg
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSDayt, 5711, 5170
Frankly those are both in demand watches that can fetch prices over MSRP. If the Daytona is truly your grail I’d sell both watches and buy the Daytona from a reseller.
metdrdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2018, 09:29 PM   #14
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metdrdg View Post
Frankly those are both in demand watches that can fetch prices over MSRP. If the Daytona is truly your grail I’d sell both watches and buy the Daytona from a reseller.

I considered that but...a) I refuse to pay 10% over MSRP (close enough to what I would pay after sales tax, b) I REFUSE to help grays reselling new watches that keep us from getting them at ADs and c) don't want to risk my relationship with the local AD.

I don't want to get off-topic but at the end of the day, it's not worth it (in my case).
Old 21 July 2018, 09:58 PM   #15
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
I REFUSE to help grays reselling new watches that keep us from getting them at ADs

It’s not helping the gray market dealer as much as helping the AD who is using the scarce SS models to move their PM stock that’s been collecting dust.

I’m not a dealer but have been offered by an AD the next Daytona500 if I’d buy a PM at MSRP. Factoring the going rate of lost value on that PM, it’s no different than paying the SS uplift to a trusted seller here on TRF.

However, I agree it’s not worth paying the uplift just to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 01:13 AM   #16
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
It’s not helping the gray market dealer as much as helping the AD who is using the scarce SS models to move their PM stock that’s been collecting dust.

I’m not a dealer but have been offered by an AD the next Daytona500 if I’d buy a PM at MSRP. Factoring the going rate of lost value on that PM, it’s no different than paying the SS uplift to a trusted seller here on TRF.

However, I agree it’s not worth paying the uplift just to get one.

I know and hear ya. Don't disagree. Rolex keeps pushing ADs to sell more and more PM and DJs models to get the desired watches in-stock. Pretty much everyone loses in the current Rolex new watch buying model.
Old 22 July 2018, 01:16 AM   #17
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

July 2018 update:

I reached out my local AD rep 2 weeks ago for the monthly check-in. No update on the Daytona. She / he just reinerated the watch is very hard to get for them but not impossible and person knows I want one really bad.

When it comes time to Xmas shop for the wife, I’ll be visiting my AD for a non- watch gift. In the past, I usually bought from Tiffany’s and BlueNile.

Minor update. The BLNR purchased on March had the stickers left on them. The Sub LVC from May had the stickers removed once I paid. Another fun thing fact (at least for me) is the BLNR's serial starts with “TK” which is an inside Star Wars joke. Ha.
Old 22 July 2018, 01:40 AM   #18
Kiddodoc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 15 and counting!
Waiting for my ceramic Daytona as well. I am next in line but my AD does not get many. Been waiting a long time for it. Will likely show up when I least expect it.
Kiddodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 02:28 AM   #19
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Congrats on two hard to get watches.. good luck on the Daytona! You’ll get it!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 03:36 AM   #20
T01
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
congrats on the blnr and lvc

Good luck out there with the hunt!!!
x2
T01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 03:38 AM   #21
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Good luck!

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 06:47 AM   #22
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
After buying four Rolex watches, a Breitling watch and a JLC watch from my AD, I finally hit pay dirt and got my SS Daytona (white face). And it took a year, so good luck with your journal.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 07:54 AM   #23
Sprta
"TRF" Member

It can be done with careful planning and persistence.
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...ighlight=Sprta
Sprta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 08:55 AM   #24
explorer42
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
I was wearing the Hulk at the time so maybe the Sales Rep knew I was a serious WIS.
I can’t smile wide enough.

If only you guys knew the meaning of the word irony.
explorer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 09:30 AM   #25
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by remrk View Post

It’s not the only way. I’d recommend checking ADs at airports when traveling internationally.

Roger Lococco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2018, 09:42 AM   #26
Easy E
2024 Pledge Member

So hold up just a moment. Let me make sure I have this right. You have now purchased two hard to get pieces from the same AD, but you are still seeking a 500 from wherever it may come? Why not put a deposit down with AD and wait them out. It seems like your wait will be shorter with one that continually calling around. Maybe I am misunderstanding.

I’ll tell you this, I know the flames are coming, I put down a paid in full deposit with my AD in January and have since bought at least three watches from them, including a BLRO. I have a decent relationship with my rep. He tells me every time he gets a white 500 and counts me down. I am inclined to believe in their list. I started at #5 and I am now #2 (so they say). I finally told my rep if he gets me one by Labor Day I will send him $1k in cash. He called me back and said he can likely make that happen. I get it, I hate the wait too. I mean there is grown up delayed gratification and then there is silliness.

Best of luck.

E-
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 05:07 AM   #27
FirstF80InSpace
"TRF" Member

I'm in the same boat as you. Subscribed!
FirstF80InSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2018, 09:49 AM   #28
uniqueMR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: P A T E K
Thanks for sharing
Old 22 August 2018, 06:00 AM   #29
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Hi,

Yes, same AD for those 2 watches. My AD isn’t using a formal “sign-up” list so that option isn’t available.

It’s more like they know which customers want what model & when the models come in, they allocate trying to make folks happy. Yeah, I’m sure large $penders likely get priority. However, the issue is more about popular watches aren’t coming in regularly in a decent quantity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
So hold up just a moment. Let me make sure I have this right. You have now purchased two hard to get pieces from the same AD, but you are still seeking a 500 from wherever it may come? Why not put a deposit down with AD and wait them out. It seems like your wait will be shorter with one that continually calling around. Maybe I am misunderstanding.

Best of luck.

E-

Old 22 August 2018, 06:10 AM   #30
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

A monthly journal of trying to get a Daytona 116500

We are approaching the end of Aug 2018. It’s time for an update.

No dice this month when contacting my AD twice.

-------
However, I did make a subtle purchase. I’ve always wanted a Black bezel Sub. I saw a "complete set" M series 16610 T w/ rehaut engraving and couldn’t pass it up. It was purchased in 2009.

As you all know, many 5 series watches are vastly different than their 6 digit successors. I had a 5 digit YM but had to sell it to help fund the BLNR. That V series YM was a pleasure to wear. Not heavy or too light. Just felt perfect on the wrist. (I’ll prob end up selling my Black Sub-C to fund this latest buy).

While I enjoy my 6 digit heavy duty Sub LV and BLNR, sometimes I just want to wear a tad smaller and lighter prof series watch. The 16610 T is that watch for me.

BTW, now I know what reviewers meant by the 116610 and 16610 being greatly different. While I prefer the 16610's case, the 116610's bracelet & clasp are far superior. (and heavier for those improvements)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex.jpg (258.0 KB, 5522 views)

Tags
116500 , daytona , jaisonline , rolex