The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 January 2020, 08:07 PM   #1
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Request for assistance on 40th birthday purchase

Firstly, please go easy on me - this is my first ever forum post (on any forum....)...

It’s my 40th birthday in Oct this year, and I’m looking for a special purchase to mark the occasion (any excuse is a good excuse, right...?!).

A few guiding principles for me: a/ I currently have a DJ 116234 which I love (bought last year to mark a work milestone), therefore I’m thinking about getting a professional series; b/ I have small wrists - less than 6.5inch - so I’m looking for 40mm max (just my personal preference); c/ assume a budget of up to £15-20k (N.B. I will not be buying a £70k Daytona from 1980(!), and I’m not sure I can bring myself to pay the markup for a pre-owned GMT Master II or Daytona steel, etc.)

All this has resulted in my focus on: 1/ the Yacht Master 40 - the year 2016 has meaning to me, so the 116622 (or the recently updated 126622) would work well, probably with the dark rhodium dial; or 2/ something from 1980.

And it’s 2/ I’m hoping to get some help on please... What models from 1980 would everyone recommend?
From what I can see, the Day-Date from that year seems the easiest to get, but while I really love that watch I’m not sure I really want another Classic Series watch right now. I have found other models, e.g. explorer II, Sub, GMT, etc., but they are less prevalent, and I’m nervous I’ll buy something that isn’t in that good condition and will be difficult / expensive re maintenance, or isn’t ‘genuine’. Please note that I’m really not an expert, so apologies if that is a stupid thing to say...

Alternatively, I’m very open to hearing other ideas for a special purchase...

Really looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts - thanks in advance, and apologies if I’ve made any obvious forum posting errors, as I said, this is my first ever forum post, so please do go easy on me....!

Thanks!
playing4time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 08:14 PM   #2
uncufunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126613LB, 1501
Get the YM or a 116710LN. Any interest in TT?
uncufunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 08:51 PM   #3
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Unless you’re really into the vintage stuff I would stay clear until you’ve gained a bit more experience in that field. Buying a 40 year old watch without sufficient knowledge could bring up its challenges. Plus (purely my opinion), but I’m not convinced that putting the best part of £15k down on a 5513 sub (or similar) would be the best use of the money.

I’d honestly go new or as close to new as you could and get in warranty. I know you’ve said you’re not sure about paying the markup for a Daytona but in the whole line up of models going for a premium that is the only one i think is actually worth buying above MSRP.

Once you get your head around the MSRP issue (which for the Daytona should basically be ignored) i think you’d be very happy with it. Would be a very special purchase for your 40th. Happy Birthday in advance.

Edit: What about a TT CHNR? They’re very very nice.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 09:10 PM   #4
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncufunc View Post
Get the YM or a 116710LN. Any interest in TT?
Thank you for the response. I do like the 116710LN (I’m on a waiting list for the ‘batman’, but don’t think I’m getting that call in time...), but my main concern there is the markup vs. MSRP... Or are you saying that just isn’t something I should be worried about? That’s one reason I’m focussed on the YM - I think my chances of getting one are decent...
Re TT, this is something I’ve been considering, but, at risk of opening a can of worms here...., I’m not sure on the general day to day wearability vs. only steel...
Old 2 January 2020, 09:24 PM   #5
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
Unless you’re really into the vintage stuff I would stay clear until you’ve gained a bit more experience in that field. Buying a 40 year old watch without sufficient knowledge could bring up its challenges. Plus (purely my opinion), but I’m not convinced that putting the best part of £15k down on a 5513 sub (or similar) would be the best use of the money.

I’d honestly go new or as close to new as you could and get in warranty. I know you’ve said you’re not sure about paying the markup for a Daytona but in the whole line up of models going for a premium that is the only one i think is actually worth buying above MSRP.

Once you get your head around the MSRP issue (which for the Daytona should basically be ignored) i think you’d be very happy with it. Would be a very special purchase for your 40th. Happy Birthday in advance.

Edit: What about a TT CHNR? They’re very very nice.
Thanks for the response, and thanks for the early birthday wishes...! :)

Your concern re my getting a vintage is basically the same as mine... Maybe I’ll wait another 10 years for that and get a Day-Date...
Re Daytona - I’ll keep thinking about that, but £17k vs MSRP £10.5k is tough...... Which is wear the TT comes into play I guess... I’ve been looking at the TT Daytonas, but the TT CHNR was not on my radar until now.... Looks really nice! Is it realistic to get a new one from an AD in London...?
Old 2 January 2020, 09:25 PM   #6
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

116519LN

The fact that it’s slightly over your budget might be sweetened by the fact that, ridiculously, it’s a similar price to the steel Daytona, but far better looking. The ceramic Daytona was released in 2016 - though I have to mention that this version came out a year later - and it wears smaller than a Sub or YM so may be better suited to your wrist. It should also be something you can source from an AD before your birthday.

Did I mention it looks stunning?

Old 2 January 2020, 09:31 PM   #7
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
116519LN

The fact that it’s slightly over your budget might be sweetened by the fact that, ridiculously, it’s a similar price to the steel Daytona, but far better looking. The ceramic Daytona was released in 2016 - though I have to mention that this version came out a year later - and it wears smaller than a Sub or YM so may be better suited to your wrist. It should also be something you can source from an AD before your birthday.

Did I mention it looks stunning?
Stunning indeed! Thanks for the response, but I think that one might be just out of budget.... :( That was on my radar, and will keep in mind in case I get paid more than expected this year.....!! ;)
Old 2 January 2020, 09:37 PM   #8
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
I like the YM idea. Not so common and you will probably be able to get one without going nuts!

Whichever you decide to get, happy birthday!
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 09:39 PM   #9
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum

With your budget it sounds like you can afford to buy the SS professional reference of your choice on the gray market. My senses tell me (I could be wrong) that you like the YM, but you don’t love it ...

I’d go for what you really want to mark the big occasion.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 09:45 PM   #10
lkngshrp
"TRF" Member

I daily wore a TT sub for almost 7 years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by playing4time View Post
Thank you for the response. I do like the 116710LN (I’m on a waiting list for the ‘batman’, but don’t think I’m getting that call in time...), but my main concern there is the markup vs. MSRP... Or are you saying that just isn’t something I should be worried about? That’s one reason I’m focussed on the YM - I think my chances of getting one are decent...
Re TT, this is something I’ve been considering, but, at risk of opening a can of worms here...., I’m not sure on the general day to day wearability vs. only steel...
Until I picked up my PM Daytona... don’t worry about the PM aspect. Find the watch that sings to you for your special birthday. I did with my Daytona. It was for my 50th... Happy early 40th...
lkngshrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 09:56 PM   #11
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

The vintage birth year watch is a novel idea however vintage watches do have their nuances when compared to their modern equivalent in terms of robustness.

The 116500LN does wear considerably smaller on the wrist than other 40mm Rolex Professional models so it may be worth just doing a one-off ring around to authorised dealers to register your interest and letting them know your target birthday purchase. Size-wise a 116400 isn't too far off either.

Also there's Baselworld 2020 happening in a few months, and there may be a newly announced watch that you may want instead which you may be able to purchase later in the year.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 10:14 PM   #12
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 10:26 PM   #13
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
I would suggest staying clear of vintage at this point, it’s a mine field for the inexperienced
Old 2 January 2020, 10:37 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would stay out of the vintage market as there are a lot of things that could go wrong. The YM is a fine looking watch but one that does not get a lot of love on the Forum or else where. Not sure why but that is the way it is. A 36mm DD in white gold work work and be somewhat under the radar except to those of us that know. You can but a modern, complete one, close to your budget and have a great watch. You can also change the dials out down the road for a different look should you desire.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 10:49 PM   #15
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 11:30 PM   #16
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Welcome to the forum

With your budget it sounds like you can afford to buy the SS professional reference of your choice on the gray market. My senses tell me (I could be wrong) that you like the YM, but you don’t love it ...

I’d go for what you really want to mark the big occasion.
Thanks for the welcome, and your response!
I’m not sure about going down the grey market route - I worry I’d end up navigating it incorrectly (in terms of relative value, or even something more extreme being new to this....)
I didn’t mean to come across as not liking the YM - actually, alongside the Daytona, it is my favourite watch - I love the look, and really like the fact that it’s a little more under the radar and under-appreciated vs. other models. This also helps with my ‘issue’ with markup...! And also means, luckily for me, I stand a chance of getting a new one this decade....! I guess my hesitation was around whether I should get a vintage model from my year of birth... General sentiment so far seems it’s probably a bit risky for someone with my level (read: lack) of knowledge, so maybe I have my answer...!
Old 2 January 2020, 11:35 PM   #17
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

I’m not sure about going down the grey market route - I worry I’d end up navigating it incorrectly (in terms of relative value, or even something more extreme being new to this....)

I didn’t mean to come across as not liking the YM - actually, alongside the Daytona, it is my favourite watch - I love the look, and really like the fact that it’s a little more under the radar and under-appreciated vs. other models. This also helps with my ‘issue’ with markup...! And also means, luckily for me, I stand a chance of getting a new one this decade....! I guess my hesitation was around whether I should get a vintage model from my year of birth... General sentiment so far seems it’s probably a bit risky for someone with my level (read: lack) of knowledge, so maybe I have my answer...!
Well it sounds like the YM is the right choice then :

Congrats in advance

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 11:35 PM   #18
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutats View Post
The vintage birth year watch is a novel idea however vintage watches do have their nuances when compared to their modern equivalent in terms of robustness.

The 116500LN does wear considerably smaller on the wrist than other 40mm Rolex Professional models so it may be worth just doing a one-off ring around to authorised dealers to register your interest and letting them know your target birthday purchase. Size-wise a 116400 isn't too far off either.

Also there's Baselworld 2020 happening in a few months, and there may be a newly announced watch that you may want instead which you may be able to purchase later in the year.
Thanks for your thoughts

Great point re Baselworld - if I can get a new YM, I’ll likely pull the trigger and not wait just to make sure I get it, but in all likelihood, if I register my interest now, the timing will probably work out that I’ll get the opportunity to see if anything else comes out that catches my eye!
And yes, I think I’ll start making some calls today re the 116500LN too, but I’m not as hopeful on that front...
Old 2 January 2020, 11:38 PM   #19
playing4time
"TRF" Member

AK797 Good point, well made....! ;)
I know I said I had a preference for the rhodium, but this also just looks amazing! I’m going to have to find somewhere that has both to try them on side by side....!
Old 2 January 2020, 11:39 PM   #20
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskywalker View Post
:)
Old 2 January 2020, 11:40 PM   #21
WRISTROLEX
Banned

Watch: 116503
These were sitting pretty at a local AD on Tuesday!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6125.jpg (90.5 KB, 487 views)
WRISTROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 11:52 PM   #22
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Well it sounds like the YM is the right choice then :

Congrats in advance

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Certainly getting close to that decision - thanks for your help! When I get to that point, all I need to do is actually find one.............!
Old 2 January 2020, 11:54 PM   #23
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
With your budget, a pre ceramic Daytona would be a great choice and near the lower end you are willing to spend.

The Daytona wears small on my 8 1/2 “ wrist, but would be fine on you.

And the Daytona is classic.
Wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2020, 11:54 PM   #24
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRISTROLEX View Post
These were sitting pretty at a local AD on Tuesday!
Unfortunately that is not the situation at my local AD - only DJs...
Old 3 January 2020, 12:11 AM   #25
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Great sunburst dial here
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 01:15 AM   #26
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Have you considered purchasing a SS Submariner from a grey dealer. Whilst you probably won't get one from an AD you shouldn't completely write off other sources.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 02:54 AM   #27
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
I vote for the YM. If you try one on vs the maxi lugs you will love it!!
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2020, 03:57 AM   #28
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
If you're happy with the 116234, then the good news is that a 36 mm watch works well for you. Since you are looking for professional models, you only referenced the YM 116622 which is a great choice. I would also consider the Explorer 114270 36mm or 214270 explorer 39mm.

As for the circa 1980 models, many have mentioned vintage has minefields to be weary and keep you away. While this can be true, It doesn't take away from the appeal of early 5 digit pieces. They are slim and and the case lugs are not the maxi case so the watch looks sleek and maybe elegant, with beautiful chamfered case. Purchase from vendors who specialize in vintage will help even a beginner get the right piece. Vintage dealers Matthewbain, HQ Milton and EricWindVintage have evaluated the pieces and priced accordingly.
Old 3 January 2020, 04:44 AM   #29
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbly View Post
With your budget, a pre ceramic Daytona would be a great choice and near the lower end you are willing to spend.

The Daytona wears small on my 8 1/2 “ wrist, but would be fine on you.

And the Daytona is classic.
Thanks for this tip - just had a quick search and there are some really good options here... And yes I agree, the Daytona is indeed a real classic
Old 3 January 2020, 04:47 AM   #30
playing4time
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
Have you considered purchasing a SS Submariner from a grey dealer. Whilst you probably won't get one from an AD you shouldn't completely write off other sources.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thanks for this. I have considered it, but for me, the price in the grey market brings it close to the AD price for a YM 40, which I think I could probably get my hands on.... Unless I’m looking in the wrong places of course....?!

Tags
advice sought , london