The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 May 2020, 12:09 PM   #61
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I need to get some new French cuff shirts. And eyeglasses. So when I whip them off dramatically (with my left hand, of course!) it makes a statement.
Old 25 May 2020, 12:30 PM   #62
waynorth
"TRF" Member

I'm a high school teacher and own several Rolex watches. I like them, and I don't feel like I'm showing off nor do I want to when I wear one. With that said, they are pieces of steel, not some priceless object. They are not that expensive in the stainless variety, and I'm not impressed with anything a person owns. I grew up pretty poor, and my momma would always say about people who thought they were something because they were wealthy: "Do they think their shit don't stink?" That has always stuck with me, and it's true.
waynorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 12:47 PM   #63
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Rolex is one of the most popular luxury brands. People know what it is. And likely one of the reasons why you went for this brand.

To wear one and convince yourself that it is "flying under the radar", is pretty much living in your own self-imposed bubble.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 12:55 PM   #64
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
Rolex is one of the most popular luxury brands. People know what it is. And likely one of the reasons why you went for this brand.

To wear one and convince yourself that it is "flying under the radar", is pretty much living in your own self-imposed bubble.
Ummm... I think it depends on the Rolex. My OP 39mm is way more forgettable/unnoticeable than my G-Shock. I think I would fall over if someone noticed my OP.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 01:30 PM   #65
acheronsgrief
"TRF" Member

The only time my watch has been commented on was by a client in my old job, and it was immediately followed up with “I’m paying you too much.”
acheronsgrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 01:40 PM   #66
peterpl
Banned

I like everyone to know I'm a big baller.

Especially the table service girls in the clubs. Do you guys know how many WOMEN i get because of my Rollie? Its crazy.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 02:20 PM   #67
Event Horizon
Banned

Watch: BLRO
Regularly received compliments on my TAG, Oakley, and Glycine field watch.

Never received a compliment for my Wimbledon, Pepsi, and only a couple for my sub c.
Event Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 02:27 PM   #68
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
OP........ while our moms might have taught us all not to be show offs, we all like a little attention, it’s human nature (not to mention have you seen half of this forum?). So hell yes, as long as you won’t get beaten for it, let ‘em see those watches!

Like that :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25 May 2020, 02:31 PM   #69
richpuer
"TRF" Member

I think most people who notice don’t say anything and keep it to themselves. A few weeks ago I noticed a client wearing a solid gold yacht master 44 . I think a 50k Watch...I didn’t say anything I was wearing my sub. But I did think to myself, man I should have charged him more...

richpuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 02:39 PM   #70
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
I think that the “show off” game is getting less and less effective these day. Wearing a watch to tell a status or make a statement would not work well anymore with super fake replicas seen everywhere and being almost on every wrist now. If I roll up my sleeve I do it in order to be able to enjoy the view of my watch myself. If a connesseur sees it and liked what he saw then that would be ok with me, it will open up a nice conversation which is always cool.

Old 25 May 2020, 02:40 PM   #71
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
The only people that genuinely appreciate your expensive watch, car, house, etc. are people who have a better one. Everyone else thinks you are a big-noter, show-off, smart-ass, self-promoter and so on. While it's hard to ignore your Mercedes or mansion, watches are easy to miss and usually only noticed by people who have expensive watches themselves.
I'm only interested in comments from people who like watches, the rest can mind their own business.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 04:10 PM   #72
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Ever since I watched Glengarry Glenross I've been rolling up my sleeve to people exclaiming that my watch cost more than their car. Often adding that my collection cost more than their house. That's who I am pal.
Cause you drove a HYUNDAI to get here! That’s who I am pal, and you are nothing.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 04:16 PM   #73
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
I’d rather be noticed for wearing a Glashutte Original or a JLC, more likely to generate a WIS type of conversation.
Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 04:44 PM   #74
GradyPhilpott
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Big Rose
I brag to my friends about my watches regardless of brand or pice, the same way that they brag to me about their personal interests and associated stuff.

Occasionally, I run into another WIS and we go a little deeper into the subject.

As for everyone else, they're usually too busy to be bothered with me.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 05:49 PM   #75
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
People buy Rolex because they were bullied as children.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 05:58 PM   #76
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 06:22 PM   #77
raretime
Banned

yeah When I got my first Rolex from my dad years back, but I wear for myself now and that's why I wear a watch to sleep all time.
raretime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 06:34 PM   #78
18078pres
"TRF" Member

I think veterans who wear a one or two collection watch for years don't even thing about so called showing off. Its all about aprreating the brand. Myself when someone comments mostly on my DD I get reminded what I am wearing and I don't mind at all and say thank you !
18078pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 06:38 PM   #79
Sunburstcyclops
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I find that there's plenty of misconception that many folks that are not into watches have about Rolex, they seem to think that one needs to be having an above average income like 100 grand per year to justify wearing one.

I get more comments on my OP39 that costs only mid 4 figures than my Offshore that is easily quadruple the price. Rolex is not all that exclusive to high income earners imo.
Sunburstcyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 06:45 PM   #80
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

The ones I like best are those who cannot admit caring about others seeing their watches, but list the entire collection with some coloring effort to boot in their forum footer. I‘m pretty sure we all like our watches to emphasize the image we’re trying to project. And why not, we’re human after all and for all I know humans are a status driven species. If we had red crests on our heads like roosters it’d be about who has the prettiest of those...

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 06:48 PM   #81
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
I think that the “show off” game is getting less and less effective these day. Wearing a watch to tell a status or make a statement would not work well anymore with super fake replicas seen everywhere and being almost on every wrist now. If I roll up my sleeve I do it in order to be able to enjoy the view of my watch myself. If a connesseur sees it and liked what he saw then that would be ok with me, it will open up a nice conversation which is always cool.

Isn’t the mere existence of superfakes a testament to how well the status game is working? Yes, they dilute the effect but if people didn’t hope for some effect, they wouldn’t seek them out at all.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:21 PM   #82
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Having come from a relatively poor background, Rolex and BMW were really aspirational for me when I was a kid, so it gives me enormous satisfaction that I’ve put myself in a position to own a Rolex (I’ve had BMW, no longer a big fan).

I think people who are raised in a more affluent environment tend to care less about material processions as it’s just the norm for them, whereas folk like me tend to be more materialistic. It’s not necessarily a trait I’m proud of, but it is a bit of a reality.

However, I take personal satisfaction rather than wanting people to notice. In fact, I don’t like the Rolex brand association as the brand represents the Yuppie era and for Harry Enfield fans, Rolex reminds me of one of his old characters, and it’s not a good one!

If someone notices my watch (very rare) and asks what it is, if I’m wearing a Rolex I will use the reference rather than the brand (I.e. Daytona or Sea Dweller). Whereas if I’m wearing my 5990 or 15300 for instance, I will say Patek Nautilus or AP Royal Oak quote happily.

I felt the same when I had a 911. If someone asked what I drove I’d say a 911 rather than use the word Porsche.

Weird perhaps, but there you go.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:22 PM   #83
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post

Post of the day.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 25 May 2020, 07:24 PM   #84
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post

Assume you were doing the bullying.

Old 25 May 2020, 07:37 PM   #85
Brew
"TRF" Member

I prefer the honest bragging to bogus humility.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 07:40 PM   #86
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

The funny part is that the majority of Rolex watches that people wear are not that expensive when compared to the luxury watch market as a whole.

The brand itself has far more value than the watch.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:21 PM   #87
icnbne
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Omega Seiko
Nope
I like it when other watch people recognise my watch, but not much good can come from general attention

Probably why i started collecting higher end seikos.. all or the quality, none of the attention
icnbne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 10:39 PM   #88
Xenon
Banned

TRF members care more about the opinions of other TRF members than they do the opinions of the general public.
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:39 PM   #89
Paul7
Banned

I like the story I heard from a lady in sales who said she couldn't believe how much more respect she got when she started wearing a Rolex, people like to deal with successful people.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2020, 11:47 PM   #90
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I worked on Wall Street for several decades. You couldn't swing a dead cat around a trading desk without hitting half a dozen Rolex watches. Folks bought them as status symbols that said, "I can afford this." It became a social necessity to prove you fit in, were a part of the club. Wall Street trading desks are a case study in tribal mentality.

I rebelled against this whole scene. I ended up on the NYSE trading floor which turned out to be Rolex Central. I went with Omega Seamasters instead of the obligatory gold Rolex. Too many of the Rolex wearers treated their watches with such disdain that it turned me off to the brand. Some were loose enough to get two fingers between the watch and wrist. Some never bothered to set the time! Their Gold DD's were simply bobbles and bangles whose purpose was to compliment the gold chain bracelet on their other wrists. So to me a Rolex came to represent this ostentatious and mindless display of excess.

Took me a while to get over this early conception of the Rolex brand.

Tags
external validation , survey