The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 May 2020, 05:21 AM   #181
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Do any women ever pretend that size doesn't matter ..with regards to diamonds?
Only in the honeymoon period... with regards to diamonds.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 05:23 AM   #182
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Only in the honeymoon period... with regards to diamonds.
It's not just the size of the diamond, but the quality of the setting.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 05:26 AM   #183
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
It's not just the size of the diamond, but the quality of the setting.
I must be inexperienced..
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 05:34 AM   #184
Xenon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Do any women ever pretend that size doesn't matter ..with regards to diamonds?
Any TRF member pretend that size doe not matter?

How many members here wear a 40mm watch that is blatantly too big for their wrists when a 36mm would look more appropriate?

How many members lie when they write that an oversized watch looks just fine in a wrist shot photo when it usually does not?
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 06:59 AM   #185
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenon View Post

How many members lie when they write that an oversized watch looks just fine in a wrist shot photo when it usually does not?
Because it looks fine to them. Why would they lie? That's a bit strong.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 08:27 AM   #186
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrubero View Post
Sometimes bigger isn't better...just bigger, especially with diamonds the worst way to spend your money.

This actually worked out, thankfully. The bar her friends said wasn’t too hard to overcome. Also, having an uncle who is a jeweler doesn’t hurt.

I agree, spending that kind of money on a rock is a bit crazy. Considering the market is heavily manipulated.... wait a minute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 09:11 AM   #187
qua13
Banned

I really showed off my first Rolex and I kinda enjoyed the compliment I got but it is one of the things I have outgrown.
qua13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 09:32 AM   #188
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
I sold all my Rolexes many years ago because of the “hey look at me” mentality I saw with the newer Rolex wearers that wanted IG recognition. I’ve come back since then but prefer to keep it on the down low. I am not about conspicuous consumption. I buy and wear my watches for me, not for others. I’d prefer not to be noticed.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 02:06 PM   #189
reeko
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
Curious why? I complement people on watches all the time, doesn't matter if it's a man or woman. If they are wearing a nice watch, I will complement them. It always ends up with a pleasant small talk - at the very least a smile and a thank you. A couple times turned into a fun conversation about watches. Most humans love to be notices and enjoy a complement, so why not extend one. But that's me.
I think it's because I wouldn't really know what to say if someone asked me. I didn't grow up wealthy, I had to work hard to purchase my watches, which is why I would feel strange if someone outright asked me about the price, whether it was real, etc. I've had my in laws ask me those questions, and I feel uncomfortable saying the price because they'll think it's crazy. I didn't even tell my parents, they inquired about one of my pieces about 4 years after I purchased it lol. It must have finally caught their eye.

I think if the person asking is a fan of watches, I would welcome the conversation and I would be excited to talk to them. If it's the opposite, then I would rather them not ask me anything, just to avoid the awkwardness.

I didn't ask my Doctor because I wasn't sure if she fell into the watch crowd or just wanted something fancy. A few years ago she asked me how work was going, and what I did. I told her my profession, and she said that it must pay well as she pointed to my watch. I told her that I loved the watch, but she didn't ask me any more questions after that. So I figured that she isn't into watch talk. I could be wrong though!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 03:22 PM   #190
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
In over 30 years, I’ve only had one person notice one of my watches and comment on it. He was a prisoner brought to the ER from a jail, and he knew watches and jewelry very well. Actually had a nice conversation while I sewed him up.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2020, 11:01 PM   #191
GMTmatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Pepsi
I wear my watches loose because it’s comfortable for me and never set the time. If someone notices my watch and asks if it’s a Rolex I tell them it’s fake, nobody has ever second questioned me. However, a few did say they look great for a fake Rolex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
I worked on Wall Street for several decades. You couldn't swing a dead cat around a trading desk without hitting half a dozen Rolex watches. Folks bought them as status symbols that said, "I can afford this." It became a social necessity to prove you fit in, were a part of the club. Wall Street trading desks are a case study in tribal mentality.

I rebelled against this whole scene. I ended up on the NYSE trading floor which turned out to be Rolex Central. I went with Omega Seamasters instead of the obligatory gold Rolex. Too many of the Rolex wearers treated their watches with such disdain that it turned me off to the brand. Some were loose enough to get two fingers between the watch and wrist. Some never bothered to set the time! Their Gold DD's were simply bobbles and bangles whose purpose was to compliment the gold chain bracelet on their other wrists. So to me a Rolex came to represent this ostentatious and mindless display of excess.

Took me a while to get over this early conception of the Rolex brand.
Old 1 June 2020, 12:40 AM   #192
RolexRog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doramas View Post
When you wear a Rolex and people notice, does it comfort you? And while many will say no, that they prefer a low profile in secret, they enjoy it when people notice, just like when they look at your sports car, or when you give your address and say you live in a luxury neighborhood.

I've seen people with their Rolex put their hand on their face, or roll up their sleeves so that others can see what watch they're wearing, I haven't gone that far but I admit I like them to know I wear Rolex.

What do you think about that? Are you going to deny that deep down you're like that too?
Maybe it's not about the onlookers so much. Maybe it's about the confidence you exude while wearing the watch?
RolexRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 04:23 AM   #193
richpuer
"TRF" Member

Rolex now looks like invicta qvc or Costco watches. For all the public knows you could be wearing a cheap $150 Costco watch. From far away no one can tell. They even have the Batman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
richpuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 07:15 AM   #194
BroncoOne
"TRF" Member

99.9% of people wouldn't notice that you were wearing a watch if you tapped them on the forehead with it, let alone know what kind it was.

Nonissue.
BroncoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 08:30 AM   #195
Speedsleev
"TRF" Member

I enjoy if/when other Rolex and watch nerds comment and we can get into a convo about watches etc.

Anything else is just usually award and I try to avoid that COVID 19.
Speedsleev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 09:32 AM   #196
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
Rolex now looks like invicta
Old 1 June 2020, 09:55 AM   #197
Vinnee
"TRF" Member

Here for the comment. Nice thread anyways.
Vinnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2020, 11:52 AM   #198
Makoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15670 Explorer II
Most people do not notice it. I have maybe one conversation or comment about the watch every two months. I’m sure some people do notice and don’t have anything to say, which is okay. I’m happy to talk about it but I don’t have a lot to say, either!
Makoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 03:05 PM   #199
RolexRog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raretime View Post
yeah When I got my first Rolex from my dad years back, but I wear for myself now and that's why I wear a watch to sleep all time.
Interesting, I would like to hear more? Is it because the tritium hands glow?
RolexRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 03:11 PM   #200
matt_Denver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (no date)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigey View Post
Most Rolex owners do not buy a Rolex for the appreciation of the Horology, the history, the craftsmanship or Engineering. They buy it because for the crown logo on their wrist. I have a few friends who have beautiful datejusts and have no idea what movement is in their watch. I have a friend who bought a 40mm daydate and asked me how often he should change the battery. Most people buy a Rolex to show they have "made it" and feel like they belong to the success club.
ok, now that you broke the ice...how long will my Rolex battery last before i need to replace it??
Old 2 June 2020, 10:06 PM   #201
k_buckle
Banned

I never intentionally showed off any of my Rolexes and I don't hide my wrist as well, it doesn't seem like bragging to me for feeling comfortable when my watch is noticed of appreciated after spending this much time on TRF attending to my hobby and spending good money on watches.
k_buckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 10:38 PM   #202
Xenon
Banned

I brag how a Rolex never needs a battery and is powered by the Sun!
Xenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2020, 10:48 PM   #203
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
It's a wrist watch, not a pocket watch, of course it's going to bee seen!!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
external validation , survey