The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 July 2020, 10:56 PM   #1
stickyfingers85
"TRF" Member

Tudor Black Bay Harrods Edition - Hang Tag?

Hey, long time reader, first time poster

Had a call/email from Harrods to say that the Black Bay Harrods edition is ready and waiting for me. I've been on the wait list for about 9 months.

Harrods is 30 minutes from me and i've been dreaming about this watch ever since I first tried it on, but two things are bugging me:

> The AD has stated that they will remove the stickers (fine by me), and keep the hang tag. This seems daft to me as isn't it an essential part of collecting the watch? I purchased the Rolex Root Beer last year, which is considerably more expensive than this Tudor, and they let me keep the hang tag. I don't plan on selling it any time soon, but if I were to ever look to do so wouldn't it effect the value? Especially as its a "limited" edition. Am I being daft?

> The other issue is really more for me to decide, but almost £3k up front is a bit of a push for us right now. My heart says yes but my brain is telling me no. Checking with the Wife...

That aside, i'm completely stoked that they called, it's a lovely looking piece!
stickyfingers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:58 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
You should be stoked.

Worrying about a hang-tag, which is a Dealer inventory item, may not be a good use of your time. They have zero value.
Old 9 July 2020, 01:41 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
You should be stoked.

Worrying about a hang-tag, which is a Dealer inventory item, may not be a good use of your time. They have zero value.
Have to agree Larry but many today think that bits of plastic are far more important than the actual watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 02:59 AM   #4
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
When I got mine (now sold) they kept the hang tag too. Policy apparently. Don’t sweat it. It makes no difference to resale value as far as I know.
Stevec14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 03:06 AM   #5
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Unlike Padi56 and Tools, I think that everybody is free to have its own approach regarding "goodies" accompanying the expensive watch you want to buy.

Personally I like to have these things too (and I have never sold any of my watches), and I fully understand your point (as well as the point of people who don't worry about these things).

I would personally tell the AD that I take the watch with all goodies, or I don't take it ...
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 03:18 AM   #6
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
They keep the hang tag on that model at Harrod’s
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 03:34 AM   #7
Cocochu
"TRF" Member

I wouldn’t worry too much if this is their in store policy for everybody!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cocochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 03:52 AM   #8
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Congrats on your first post! It's interesting that they've not adopted the "new normal" like Rolex ADs. Before the pandemic struck some Rolex ADs were peeling the clear protective stickers off and reportedly temporarily holding on to the warranty cards on popular sports models, however there doesn't appear to be that practise now that business has somewhat resumed since lockdown.

Go for it, you should be all right to at least get even money should you want to sell it on privately. Also don't forget to apply your purchase on your Harrods Rewards card. Enjoy it in the best of health!
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 04:49 AM   #9
JonnaJame
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't be too concerned about the hang-tag. Great watch though!

If you get it, I'm sure you'll love it!
JonnaJame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 04:55 AM   #10
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickyfingers85 View Post
isn't it an essential part of collecting the watch?
In a word, no
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 08:09 AM   #11
alwinnng
"TRF" Member

Go for it bro

I've been wanting one but they don't cater overseas customers/call in to queue ones
alwinnng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 08:16 AM   #12
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
Can't see a hang tag adding any value down the road. Boxes, papers, etc are far more important. ENJOY IT!!
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 08:20 AM   #13
Flstfirider
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
You should be stoked.

I was told by an AD, as Tools stated, they use the hang tags for inventory purposes.
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 08:54 AM   #14
terrywoods
"TRF" Member

Is it still a desired watch these days?

I do like but do think should I hold out and save more for an Explorer 1
terrywoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 09:30 AM   #15
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey, long time reader, first time poster

Had a call/email from Harrods to say that the Black Bay Harrods edition is ready and waiting for me. I've been on the wait list for about 9 months.

Harrods is 30 minutes from me and i've been dreaming about this watch ever since I first tried it on, but two things are bugging me:

> The AD has stated that they will remove the stickers (fine by me), and keep the hang tag. This seems daft to me as isn't it an essential part of collecting the watch? I purchased the Rolex Root Beer last year, which is considerably more expensive than this Tudor, and they let me keep the hang tag. I don't plan on selling it any time soon, but if I were to ever look to do so wouldn't it effect the value? Especially as its a "limited" edition. Am I being daft?

> The other issue is really more for me to decide, but almost £3k up front is a bit of a push for us right now. My heart says yes but my brain is telling me no. Checking with the Wife...

That aside, i'm completely stoked that they called, it's a lovely looking piece!
Did you have any purchase history with them? Or was it just 9 months wait without. I'd love to pick one up but only if I can pay retail.

Hang tag, I wouldn't worry about it. A pointless policy, but truth be told I don't even know if I have them for my watches, never paid attention as they would just be sitting a box.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 06:37 PM   #16
stickyfingers85
"TRF" Member

Picked it up yesterday about an hour after posting this! I just couldn't say no. I'm truly in love, it's a fantastic watch and will go well with my small collection.

No purchase history with the Tudor AD in Harrods, just tried it on one day and asked to be put on the wait list. I suspect lots of people will be getting calls as the AD said that quite a few have come in but that those who are abroad are having to turn them down, for obvious reasons.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the sales assistant in Harrods. I was literally the only customer there but he couldn't have been less interested in me. Maybe it's me but I like to feel that it's a special occasion when buying a watch, but it was just...meh. I had to ask to be shown how to use it, he took some stickers off but not all, and when i asked for it to be adjusted he said the guy that does it was on break and that i should come back another day! Not a great experience and i probably wouldn't use that AD again. I should say that the other brand AD's in Harrods that i've visited and spoken to have all been lovely, even though i've spent hours just browsing.

I have some pictures but it won't let me until my post count is >10

Slightly off topic, but if you visit Harrods they have a new restaurant in the basement called the Harrods Brasserie, I highly recommend the Croissant Bread and Butter Pudding....
stickyfingers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 11:36 PM   #17
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I wouldn't worry about it. From what I can piece together from my readings here, this is a common practice. So, in other words, in future years, I would imagine that the absence of the tag wouldn't be a surprise (concern?) to serious collectors.

I for sure wouldn't walk away from the watch because of it. It's one of my absolute favorites in my collection, regardless of what name is written on the dial.

EDIT: Just saw you picked it up. Huge congrats!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 12:05 AM   #18
terrywoods
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Picked it up yesterday about an hour after posting this! I just couldn't say no. I'm truly in love, it's a fantastic watch and will go well with my small collection.

No purchase history with the Tudor AD in Harrods, just tried it on one day and asked to be put on the wait list. I suspect lots of people will be getting calls as the AD said that quite a few have come in but that those who are abroad are having to turn them down, for obvious reasons.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the sales assistant in Harrods. I was literally the only customer there but he couldn't have been less interested in me. Maybe it's me but I like to feel that it's a special occasion when buying a watch, but it was just...meh. I had to ask to be shown how to use it, he took some stickers off but not all, and when i asked for it to be adjusted he said the guy that does it was on break and that i should come back another day! Not a great experience and i probably wouldn't use that AD again. I should say that the other brand AD's in Harrods that i've visited and spoken to have all been lovely, even though i've spent hours just browsing.

I have some pictures but it won't let me until my post count is >10

Slightly off topic, but if you visit Harrods they have a new restaurant in the basement called the Harrods Brasserie, I highly recommend the Croissant Bread and Butter Pudding....
I think most sales assistants these days have no interest in selling you the watch as most can’t afford the product themselves

When I tried one on last year I took off my BB and they still said have you heard of Tudor before?
Old 14 July 2020, 01:43 AM   #19
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywoods View Post
I think most sales assistants these days have no interest in selling you the watch as most can’t afford the product themselves ...
Care to provide the tiniest shred evidence of this?

So, if they had more money they would be better at their job, serving you?

I would forgive a sales person who had no interest in selling to you if you’re they sort of person who makes ridiculous generalisations and uses disposable income as a measure of self worth.

Have a look on the website Jewellery Stylist, and you’ll see adverts for watch sales associates with salaries that are far from on the breadline.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 03:03 AM   #20
plasticpigoen
"TRF" Member

I've also recieved an email from Harrods offering me this piece.
I put my name down in October last year, so a nine month wait me.

I'll be picking it up this week all being well..
plasticpigoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 04:36 AM   #21
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

hang tag? seriously? its like the smallest thing that comes with the watch. sometimes you get sometimes you don't end of the day it never see the light of day. Are you buying watches to wear or collecting white tags?
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 05:41 AM   #22
stevedssd
"TRF" Member

I got the e-mail last week and my brother picked up for me today.....he was very happy with the service and they even took out a link on his BB GMT at the same time as adjusting the bracelet on the Harrods. Number is 399X
stevedssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2020, 06:16 AM   #23
terrywoods
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Care to provide the tiniest shred evidence of this?

So, if they had more money they would be better at their job, serving you?

I would forgive a sales person who had no interest in selling to you if you’re they sort of person who makes ridiculous generalisations and uses disposable income as a measure of self worth.

Have a look on the website Jewellery Stylist, and you’ll see adverts for watch sales associates with salaries that are far from on the breadline.
In that case some should show a bit more interest in trying to sell the product

I don’t see my own self worth more important than the sales assistant I just feel a lot of places the assistant is not that interested, that’s my own view
Old 14 July 2020, 07:24 PM   #24
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywoods View Post
In that case some should show a bit more interest in trying to sell the product

I don’t see my own self worth more important than the sales assistant I just feel a lot of places the assistant is not that interested, that’s my own view
You have replaced 'most' with 'some' which makes this is a far more reasonable comment than your previous one.

(The rest of this post isn't aimed at you)

Sales people are just people like you and I. They have bad days like everybody else. Not every potential customer that walks through the door shows the same respect that the expect to be showered upon them (I've met countless people in my professional life that appear to have no idea how unpleasant they actually are, and I have no qualms about ceasing business with them). And some are genuinely not cut out for sales (and they don't tend to last long).

It bares reminding that watches are a hobby for some people and a job for others. If you don't click with the person you meet in a store or a workshop, that's life. Move on and find somebody else.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
79230g , advice sought