The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 August 2018, 07:35 AM   #121
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Market is crazy on the 5711 for what it is. I really do not think it is worth current retail. But, it is still a great watch and a joy to own and wear. Just overpriced in my view for what it is. I saw a 5711 blue dial go for 54K last week from a gray market seller. So a lot of people think it is worth the money and a whole lot more.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 09:50 AM   #122
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
I have owned multiple Pateks, APs Rolexes, hell...every major watch brand (except VC, nothing in that line really moves me). When I was a kid my mother used to tell me the really wealthy wear Patek Phillipe, not Rolex. It was my dream brand growing up.

The ultimate iconic sports luxury original is not the Patek, its the Royal Oak Jumbo, designed by Genta and in which AP literally bet the House. The Genta nautilus design came later and is clearly a design derivative of the Royal Oak. This was followed by the Genta IWC Ingeneur which also has a derivative nature to it. Nothing wrong with that. It just is.

Remember these watches were quite hefty by 70s standards. The original Jumbo was called that for a reason. By today’s standards they are dainty. They are sporty haute horology, not sports watches, like an oyster Rolex. Remember that watches at the time were prized for being dime thin.

Who knows why Rolex and Patek have done so well in both the new or resale market? Good for them. Of all the watches I’ve flipped or traded in the last 20 years the Pateks have all made money. That’s saying something. But truthfully, many of them are not aesthetically pleasing to me and would not be looked at seriously if it didn’t say Patek on it.

At the end of the day, I have never liked the aesthetics of the Nautilus and the Aquanaut. This is why I wore AP, including the Jumbo, for many years.

Your mileage may vary. Don’t feel bad if your “grail” doesn’t move you. Grails have a nasty habit of changing over time. This is one watch that you can have no buyers regret. It took me longer to write this post than it would take you to sell this watch.

No offense to all you Nautilus lovers out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2018, 10:49 AM   #123
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
It's a handsome watch with a cool history, but for today's prices imo it's not worth the premium. I would much rather myself get a complication than pay the premium for one. I got in on one a few years back when the premium was nowhere near as high as today!
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote