The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 12 July 2018, 02:56 AM   #1621
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchu004 View Post
Another pic
Lovely watch. Great size, too. 36mm? Any pictures of the movement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin1982my View Post
Hi guys.

I am about to get myself my first Lange, and I kind of narrowed it down to this 2 amazing models.

1) Saxonia Automatic Rose Gold Terra Brown Dial
2) Saxonia Outsize Date Rose Gold Black Dial.

While I'm not buying it to sell, my concern with watch 1 is the Terra Brown Dial. Is this going to severely affect the resale if I intend to upgrade to another watch in the far future? The prices of both models are too close to matter at this price range. I do like the big date display on watch 2, but I like the Terra Brown dial on watch 1 too. Decision decision. WIsh I can have both, but well......

( How do i post pictures? )
I haven't seen either watches in person but you can check around online to see what the prices are in the used market like Chrono24.com. I think no matter what, your watch will be affected by resale to a certain degree. From what I've seen, unless your watch is a specific model of virtually any popular Rolex, Patek Philippe Nautilus, Patek Philippe Aquanaut, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, or FP Journe CB then your watch will be hit hard.

Also, I think you need 10 posts on the forum before you are allowed to post pictures.
tryptobphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 03:19 AM   #1622
kevin1982my
"TRF" Member

Thank you tryptobphan for your reply.

I understand resale will likely be hit for both watches, but between those 2, which one do you foresee will be better % wise?

The watches are too new with too few used sellers to establish a trend on Chrono24. There are several new ones, 1-2 used one from China and that is about it.

I'm not paying MSRP for both watches but with some decent discounts thrown in, so hopefully there is less shock if i do resell it say 5 to 20 years down the road. But between those 2, which one would be better.

8 More posts to go then before pictures.
kevin1982my is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2018, 05:25 AM   #1623
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Hi guys.

I am about to get myself my first Lange, and I kind of narrowed it down to this 2 amazing models.

1) Saxonia Automatic Rose Gold Terra Brown Dial
2) Saxonia Outsize Date Rose Gold Black Dial.

While I'm not buying it to sell, my concern with watch 1 is the Terra Brown Dial. Is this going to severely affect the resale if I intend to upgrade to another watch in the far future? The prices of both models are too close to matter at this price range. I do like the big date display on watch 2, but I like the Terra Brown dial on watch 1 too. Decision decision. WIsh I can have both, but well......

( How do i post pictures? )

These models wont hold value if you are concerned with resale. Typically you will loose 40 to 50% of the price you paid for new at msrp after discount.
Old 12 July 2018, 11:35 AM   #1624
kevin1982my
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
These models wont hold value if you are concerned with resale. Typically you will loose 40 to 50% of the price you paid for new at msrp after discount.
Hi Ben

Thanks for your reply.

I fully understand those 2 won't hold value compared to say a SS Sports Rolex. However, between those 2, which one you reckon will hold its value better?

Thanks again buddy.
Old 13 July 2018, 03:11 AM   #1625
mchu004
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryptobphan View Post
Thanks! It is indeed 36mm.

Here's one of the movement:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8973-1.jpg (251.3 KB, 850 views)
mchu004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 03:27 AM   #1626
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I haven't seen either watches in person but you can check around online to see what the prices are in the used market like Chrono24.com. I think no matter what, your watch will be affected by resale to a certain degree. From what I've seen, unless your watch is a specific model of virtually any popular Rolex, Patek Philippe Nautilus, Patek Philippe Aquanaut, Audemars Piguet Royal Oak, or FP Journe CB then your watch will be hit hard.

Also, I think you need 10 posts on the forum before you are allowed to post pictures.
Hm. I would say that the Terra brown dial would potentially hold its value more since it’s not a typical color combination ALS makes. However, that also means it could potentially be even lower than the black dial Saxonia since it depends on the timing of when you sell it and who is interested.

The black Saxonia will have a more predictable resale value. I don’t think it’s as bad as Benlee says it will be but at least you can get an idea with current Saxonia models.

With all that said, I’d choose the black Saxonia between the two just based on aesthetics that I prefer. Honestly though, you can’t go wrong.
Old 13 July 2018, 03:29 AM   #1627
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! It is indeed 36mm.

Here's one of the movement:
That’s just stunning. And I don’t know what camera you’re using but that’s just an amazing shot. Can you see the gear closest to the escapement move while the watch is ticking away (gear closest to the bottom of the three gears you can see peeking out from the 3/4 plate, the smallest of the 3 gears)?
Old 13 July 2018, 05:50 AM   #1628
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Just re-bought the Saxonia Thin. The price was too good to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 06:22 AM   #1629
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
Just re-bought the Saxonia Thin. The price was too good to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome back to the club!

Old 13 July 2018, 06:54 AM   #1630
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Thanks, how are you liking yours so far? Were you able to get a good deal from CH?
Quote:
Welcome back to the club!

Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 07:04 AM   #1631
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaxe View Post
Thanks, how are you liking yours so far? Were you able to get a good deal from CH?
I love mine. Honestly, between my Omega Seamaster 300 and A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia Thin, I don’t need any other watches for the rest of my life. It’s the perfect traditional dress watch. I’ve dropped it a couple times, slammed it against doorways and desk edges... but it’s still working and keeping time like a charm.

Also, I did not get a very good deal at CH at all. 10% or 15%. So lesson learned, negotiate better or find a place more willing next time. Thanks for your help earlier this year. I’m thinking of the next time piece already.

How are you liking yours?
Old 13 July 2018, 07:38 AM   #1632
mchu004
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That’s just stunning. And I don’t know what camera you’re using but that’s just an amazing shot. Can you see the gear closest to the escapement move while the watch is ticking away (gear closest to the bottom of the three gears you can see peeking out from the 3/4 plate, the smallest of the 3 gears)?
Thanks!

You can see it move, but it's quite hard to see as it's quite small; you really have to focus on it to see it move. The escapement wheel and pallet fork is quite visible though with the naked eye.
Old 13 July 2018, 10:48 AM   #1633
kevin1982my
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hm. I would say that the Terra brown dial would potentially hold its value more since it’s not a typical color combination ALS makes. However, that also means it could potentially be even lower than the black dial Saxonia since it depends on the timing of when you sell it and who is interested.

The black Saxonia will have a more predictable resale value. I don’t think it’s as bad as Benlee says it will be but at least you can get an idea with current Saxonia models.

With all that said, I’d choose the black Saxonia between the two just based on aesthetics that I prefer. Honestly though, you can’t go wrong.
Awesome. I do lean more towards the Terra-brown dial. It is simply amazing. The only thing that held me back a little bit was the date on the Saxonia Outsize Date. The black dial doesn't move me but that is just me. Wonder why ALS do not make Saxonia Date with Terra Brown dial.

The AD that i bought it from doesnt have the Saxonia Outsize Date in stock, so I can't get any wrist time to know how it really looks like on the wrist. I had to try a few rose gold-black dial combination of other brands.

One thing i notice about ALS is, photographs do not do any justice to the watch. You just can't capture the amazing details of ALS watches with a camera.
Old 13 July 2018, 03:35 PM   #1634
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks!

You can see it move, but it's quite hard to see as it's quite small; you really have to focus on it to see it move. The escapement wheel and pallet fork is quite visible though with the naked eye.
That's still cool you can see it move. I know if I look hard enough with a low powered loupe, I can see that gear move underneath the 3/4 plate on my Saxonia Thin. But that gear is more visible on your movement.

Great looking movement. Congrats on the watch. How do you like it? I was considering the 1815 Up/Down 39.5mm (new) vs. 36mm (previous) so I'm still torn. Either that or the Richard Lange, but that's like 40mm. I wish my wrists were bigger.

Quote:
Awesome. I do lean more towards the Terra-brown dial. It is simply amazing. The only thing that held me back a little bit was the date on the Saxonia Outsize Date. The black dial doesn't move me but that is just me. Wonder why ALS do not make Saxonia Date with Terra Brown dial.

The AD that i bought it from doesnt have the Saxonia Outsize Date in stock, so I can't get any wrist time to know how it really looks like on the wrist. I had to try a few rose gold-black dial combination of other brands.

One thing i notice about ALS is, photographs do not do any justice to the watch. You just can't capture the amazing details of ALS watches with a camera.
I totally agree, the pictures don't do justice to ALS dials. I'm always impressed with my Saxonia Thin, but admittedly I wasn't truly impressed in the dealer. It wasn't until I wore it outside that I realized it has a lot of depth and details that accentuate its elegance and purity despite its simplicity. I feel the other time pieces may just be like it.

As for the terra brown dial, if you like it, seriously just get it and enjoy it. I am not the best person to listen to when it comes to watch investments. I personally think that if I want an investment watch, I'd be wearing the same watches as everyone else (AP Royal Oak, PP Nautilus/Aquanaut, Rolex Whatever, FP Journe CB). While these watches are all nice, I know deep down I only want one because everyone else has one and keeps talking them up. I've never been one to follow in the footsteps of the masses though. I wear watches for myself and I want to enjoy the watches I own, not because of the secondary market. I know you stated something similar in your original post as well. So if the watch resonates with you, just do it (unless it's stretching your budget way too much, then no... because it's not worth destroying your finances over a piece of metal on the wrist).

If you get a chance, call an ALS Boutique nearby or wherever you plan to travel for vacation/business to see if they have it available and if you happen to stop by then check them out.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 13 July 2018, 04:13 PM   #1635
SearChart
TechXpert

SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 04:25 PM   #1636
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post

Just amazing... Is that the Lange 1 Daymatic?

I've never seen it in person but I recall seeing a picture from a review somewhere. That just looks completely stunning... just seeing the perfectly polished and beveled edges of each bridge is magnificent.

Do you have a wrist shot? I know our wrists are similar... You have to stop posting watch pictures. I now have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 34mm and Cartier Tank Solo on my list because of you. I'm kidding, please don't stop posting pictures.

However, if it's not the Lange 1 Daymatic then I apologize, please correct me. That's a stunning movement, though curious that it's not a 3/4 quarter plate design...?
Old 13 July 2018, 04:31 PM   #1637
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Just amazing... Is that the Lange 1 Daymatic?

I've never seen it in person but I recall seeing a picture from a review somewhere. That just looks completely stunning... just seeing the perfectly polished and beveled edges of each bridge is magnificent.

Do you have a wrist shot? I know our wrists are similar... You have to stop posting watch pictures. I now have a Rolex Oyster Perpetual 34mm and Cartier Tank Solo on my list because of you. I'm kidding, please don't stop posting pictures.

However, if it's not the Lange 1 Daymatic then I apologize, please correct me. That's a stunning movement, though curious that it's not a 3/4 quarter plate design...?
Yep daymatic, I do not have a wrist shot though, it is not my watch. Came across this thing at work and took a quick movement shot, no idea what it was doing here though.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 04:58 PM   #1638
kevin1982my
"TRF" Member

Wow and wow. I'd take back my word that photos don't do justice to the watch. That photo is simply amazing.
Old 14 July 2018, 12:01 AM   #1639
mchu004
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's still cool you can see it move. I know if I look hard enough with a low powered loupe, I can see that gear move underneath the 3/4 plate on my Saxonia Thin. But that gear is more visible on your movement.

Great looking movement. Congrats on the watch. How do you like it? I was considering the 1815 Up/Down 39.5mm (new) vs. 36mm (previous) so I'm still torn. Either that or the Richard Lange, but that's like 40mm. I wish my wrists were bigger.
Really love the watch. I have smaller wrists as well (6.4") so I find the 36mm fits me perfectly, especially as a dressier piece.

I tried on the newer version a number of times, and while it does fit me, I honestly preferred the 36mm version. The smaller size, the smaller lugs, and the non-indented bezel all give the 36mm a more classic, traditional feel, while the newer one feels a touch more modern (as it should, I suppose). I'd almost liken it to a 5-digit vs 6-digit Submariner, though not nearly as dramatic.

The extra power reserve and the zero-reset on the newer one can't be compared though..
Old 14 July 2018, 12:16 AM   #1640
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Really love the watch. I have smaller wrists as well (6.4") so I find the 36mm fits me perfectly, especially as a dressier piece.

I tried on the newer version a number of times, and while it does fit me, I honestly preferred the 36mm version. The smaller size, the smaller lugs, and the non-indented bezel all give the 36mm a more classic, traditional feel, while the newer one feels a touch more modern (as it should, I suppose). I'd almost liken it to a 5-digit vs 6-digit Submariner, though not nearly as dramatic.

The extra power reserve and the zero-reset on the newer one can't be compared though..
Thank you for the impressions. I'm still stuck in the middle for the same reasons that seemingly make the 36mm so favorable and at the same time the 39mm is more modern. My wrists are 6.5" so we have similar wrist size. I need to work out my wrists just so I can wear more watches out there...
Old 14 July 2018, 05:17 AM   #1641
mchu004
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thank you for the impressions. I'm still stuck in the middle for the same reasons that seemingly make the 36mm so favorable and at the same time the 39mm is more modern. My wrists are 6.5" so we have similar wrist size. I need to work out my wrists just so I can wear more watches out there...
I hear ya

If it helps, here's a shot of the newer 39mm on my wrist. It fits, but it's definitely more of a casual/modern look. You can't go wrong either way!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180501_132655-1.jpg (108.5 KB, 855 views)
Old 26 July 2018, 11:53 AM   #1642
Gotwire
"TRF" Member

New ALS owner!

Just got this! I love it. Thinking about flipping my YG SkyDweller, Hulk, and White dial SS Daytona for a Zeitwerk. What do the ALS owners out there think? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 124A6954-8BBF-43A6-83E4-5AD73D4B9883.jpeg (226.8 KB, 768 views)
Gotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2018, 01:29 PM   #1643
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotwire View Post
Just got this! I love it. Thinking about flipping my YG SkyDweller, Hulk, and White dial SS Daytona for a Zeitwerk. What do the ALS owners out there think? Thanks!
That's a beautiful watch. I love the caseback for that model, too. My wrists are too small for it, unfortunately so it's awesome it fits yours well.

I love the Zeitwerk. Also another watch I wish I could own, but it just looks too big for my wrists. However, it's still a grail watch for me.

I personally like the Skydweller a lot (another watch I wish I had but it's too big for my wrist), however, given an option, I'd totally trade all 3 for the Zeitwerk. That watch is just an extremely unique watch with an amazing movement. Definitely a work of art.

However, all 3 watches you're thinking of trading in are completely different from the Zeitwerk. Are you very attached to them?
Old 26 July 2018, 01:42 PM   #1644
Gotwire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's a beautiful watch. I love the caseback for that model, too. My wrists are too small for it, unfortunately so it's awesome it fits yours well.

I love the Zeitwerk. Also another watch I wish I could own, but it just looks too big for my wrists. However, it's still a grail watch for me.

I personally like the Skydweller a lot (another watch I wish I had but it's too big for my wrist), however, given an option, I'd totally trade all 3 for the Zeitwerk. That watch is just an extremely unique watch with an amazing movement. Definitely a work of art.

However, all 3 watches you're thinking of trading in are completely different from the Zeitwerk. Are you very attached to them?
I like each of them but they sit in the watch winder. So I figured with the SS Rolex market so hot two of them I could get good prices. I have a YG DD40 so I don’t use SkyDweller much.
Old 26 July 2018, 02:44 PM   #1645
tryptobphan
"TRF" Member

If that's the case, then if you think you'll wear the Zeitwerk more often or enjoy its company more then I'd say go for the trade up route. At least you still have a daily Rolex to enjoy, too. If you were going to give up all your Rolexes then I'd say no.
Old 27 July 2018, 06:51 AM   #1646
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 07:45 AM   #1647
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Can anyone direct me towards a BNIB 1815 Chrono in any PM forsale here in STATES..?
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 02:05 AM   #1648
August West
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Given, I haven't gone through every single page of this thread, but I've given it the old college try- Can anyone provide any insight as to when Lange discontinued yellow gold production of the 1815 Up/Down? I know that the latest 234 series had production, and it looks like it has been at least since 2016 since. Just trying to get a more precise time frame and no one in either the Lange boutique NYC nor the other ADs I've spoken with seem to have any idea (got into a debate with the boutique manager as to if there ever was 234 series production and finally had to inform her that I had literally just tried on one the day before). To this point- why has the yellow gold production been halted on the vast majority of pieces? Is it just lack of popularity in today's market? Thanks!
August West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2018, 02:23 AM   #1649
Gotwire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by August West View Post
Given, I haven't gone through every single page of this thread, but I've given it the old college try- Can anyone provide any insight as to when Lange discontinued yellow gold production of the 1815 Up/Down? I know that the latest 234 series had production, and it looks like it has been at least since 2016 since. Just trying to get a more precise time frame and no one in either the Lange boutique NYC nor the other ADs I've spoken with seem to have any idea (got into a debate with the boutique manager as to if there ever was 234 series production and finally had to inform her that I had literally just tried on one the day before). To this point- why has the yellow gold production been halted on the vast majority of pieces? Is it just lack of popularity in today's market? Thanks!
Check this out. Hopefully answers a lot of questions.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=775839619
Old 29 July 2018, 09:54 AM   #1650
August West
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Check this out. Hopefully answers a lot of questions.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=775839619
That's the ticket, Gotwire- thanks! Very helpful. I do find it odd that it says it was produced through 2018 (or until 2018) but the boutique manager was arguing with me that it hasn't in been in production for years. Regardless, I found one and want to move on it. Much appreciated
August West is offline   Reply With Quote