The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 July 2010, 12:36 AM   #1
Fang

Helson Buccaneer GMT - Review with Pics.

Got the Helson Buccaneer as a present for myself for Father's Day - more than 2 weeks ago.

I already have the Shark Diver - and have been wearing it during the weekends. Great watch but too thick for daily office use. The original Shark Diver uses the Miyota movements and it was all sold out. Recently Helson launch the Shark Diver using the ETA 2893-2.

When I received news from Peter Helson that they now have a new Helson Bucccaneer GMT. It did not take me long to decide to get it - always wanted a GMT watch. Even though I don't travel as much nowadays, I still have a daughter in Wales and son in Vancouver. My GMT is set to English time. Useful when I skype or communicate with my daughter.

My first impression was that 15.5mm was too thick and will look too bulky but after 2 weeks of daily wear - it actually looks good and does not feel too bulky. It looks better on the wrist in reality than the photos.

It has Dark blue dial / dark blue bezel (plus an extra steel bezel). It looks more black blue with orange minutes and second hands. These gives the watch some colours without being too loud - nice touch.

Case: Brushed 316L surgical stainless steel -44.5 x 47.5 mm with lugs 24 mm.
Sapphire crystal - inside AR coated.
Water resistance: 500 m / 1.640 ft with helium escape valve.

Movement: 21 Jewel ETA 2893-2 - second 24h time zone - automatic winding - date - power reserve 42h.

The Caseback: screwed w. engraved a cool jolly roger logo.

Strap: brown leather strap w. SS 316L buckle with engraved jolly roger logo; extra rubber strap.

LIMITED EDITION OF 100 pcs

The leather strap was a bit short for my wrist - communicated with Peter and he acknowledges the fact and told me that he is waiting for a new shipment of longer straps to arrive. I manage to stretch the leather by using some leather softener - it works so now I wear it on the second hole.

Overall price at $849.00, it was a good buy and another definite winner for Helson Watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buccaneer close up.jpg (102.8 KB, 414 views)
File Type: jpg Back - Jolly Roger.jpg (67.7 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg Buckle.jpg (109.7 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg Leather and rubber straps.jpg (79.6 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg On wrist.jpg (60.5 KB, 404 views)
Fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2010, 07:12 AM   #2
mingsta

Very nice!

I like this one alot, and it seems like this style of case is making a big comeback among the micro brews such as Zinex, Benarus etc.

Have they got any plans to do a non GMT version?

In your opinion do these cushion style cases wear bigger or smaller than equivalent watches with conventional lugs? PS looks fine on your wrist, even if its a big watch. What size is your wrist?
mingsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Fang

Sorry, I don't really know whether they are planning for a non-GMT version. You can contact Peter Helson directly for his plans (helsonwatch@googlemail.com). Replies from Peter are always prompt.

I am afraid to admit that I don't really know my wrist size; all I know is that its big. I will inform you when I have it measured.

After wearing it it regularly, the watch really grows on me. It will be a good watch for me to bring along for my next long holidays in Tibet.

Attached are more photos including part of my watch collection.
comparisons.jpg

On wrist.jpg
Old 10 September 2010, 06:14 AM   #4
Maxseven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I just ordered the Buccaneer and can't wait to receive it. I also bought the mesh bracelet, as I think the watch will look good in all steel.

Not sure why anyone would elect not to have the added functionality of a GMT hand.
Hooper: Watch it! Damn it, Martin! This is compressed air! Martin: Well what the hell kind of a knot was that! Hooper: You pulled the wrong one! You screw around with these tanks and they're going to blow up!

Maxseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2011, 03:20 PM   #5
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice review!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2011, 02:38 AM   #6
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
nice watch...the non-GMT has been released and it is just as cool
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2011, 11:38 PM   #7
Fang

Yes, http://www.helson-watches.com/buccaneer/

But I am very tempted to get the new Sharkmaster instead. They have a lefty option as well. The lefty is the one I am looking at.

Check it out..

http://www.helson-watches.com/sharkmaster/