The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 11 December 2009, 01:52 AM   #1
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Survival Straps

I hope this strap review is appropriate for the Review Forum.

Here is a different kind of strap. These are made by a company called Survival Straps. The straps are made from 550 lb parachute cord, or paracord. Lots of people use paracord to wrap the handle of a knife or rifle stock because it can be removed in an emergency and used in many ways. In an emergency situation you can simply untie the strap and unravel it and use the 20 feet of cord. The buckle is a solid steel shackle that looks like it could handle an elephant.

The straps are available in a ton of colors and they custom wind each one when you order it. Choose any two colors from the list, an inner and outer color, or use just one. I chose a whole bunch and I think I came up with some nice combinations. They come in a normal size and a wider version for watches with lugs wider than 22mm. If you have a larger watch you can send the exact distance over the springbars and they will make the center section to match.

I ordered mine and got delivery of all of them 3 days later. Talk about super service! I had a hundred questions about sizes and colors and the owner Kurt was a pleasure to deal with.

You choose your wrist size from a menu when ordering. The straps are not adjustable like a traditional strap with a buckle. You can make it longer or shorter by loosening the knots on the little end loops and then you make the loops a little longer or shorter as needed. It was quick and easy to make mine fit perfectly. The cord comes with about 6 extra inches on it so there is no risk of it being too small!!! When you get it sized you cut off the extra cord and tuck it in as shown in the pictures, kind of like tucking in the excess on a Nato strap.

Speaking of which, I got one in a sliver black pattern similar to a standard Nato. I also got it in red/black and tried it on my DSSD. Here’s a pic. Sorry JJ!!!!!!!!

The company Survival Straps seems very focused on helping the US Military service men and women. I invite you to check out their website for details. They contribute a portion of sales to the Wounded Warrior Project which is a great organization that helps wounded veterans.

They also have a Soldier Care Package available. Its only $16 and it includes a tan/green camo colored bracelet, some candy treats and a personalized card. I gave them the APO address of a coworker currently serving in Iraq and they will send the package to him. If you don’t know anyone then they will simply send it and the package will be donated to a soldier. I think this is a fantastic idea and a clever way to support the troops. It will lift their spirits and provide them a little insurance should they ever need some rope.

I have a pic of a dark green bracelet as well.

Survival Straps has a very interesting policy involving the use of the strap in an emergency. If you should ever need to unravel your strap and use it in an emergency, simply send it back to them along with your story and they will wind it back up for free and send it back to you!

I invite you to see the website where there are some interesting stories. One involves a soldier who had a clasp on his body armor fail before a mission. He was able to use the Survival Strap bracelet cord to tie it in place and continue his mission. Another person tells the tale of helping a young girl who was drowning in a river.

There’s a great story about a father went with his kids to get a Christmas Tree. He didn’t have any rope in the car and was unable to tie it down. So they decided to go home. After seeing the sad faces of his kids he unwrapped the bracelet he was wearing and used the cord to tie the tree to the car. Happy kids qualifies as an emergency, don’t you think?

The straps are $22.95 for the normal width and $2 more for a wide one. Seems like a bargain to me. Its kind of a novelty item that I hope I never use. It’s a great conversation piece that gets attention. I’ve been wearing one for a few days now and I get a ton of comments and questions about it. Most are not “watch guys” but they can’t help but notice the strap and want to know more.

After a few days of wearing one of these on the Breitling Airwolf and my Panerai 251, I can say that they are extremely comfortable. The Airwolf is an ideal rough and tumble tool watch and is ideally suited for this strap. The PAM is more of a formal dinner date although they are known as military pieces. I think the color combo on the PAM has a nice sporty look. Lastly I got a black/orange strap for my Doxa and it is really quite stunning.

The website is www.survivalstraps.com

What do you guys think?
Old 12 December 2009, 07:54 AM   #2
Flaxmoore

Watch: Alpha Milsub
Leave me a little cold, but part may be that I don't have a watch large enough to pull that off- my largest is 40mm, while your set seems to be in the 45mm+ class.
Flaxmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2009, 07:57 AM   #3
datejust1
Banned

Watch: N/A
They look great!!!
datejust1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2009, 07:59 AM   #4
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
It's nifty idea, but not for me......at least not for a high end watch.
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2009, 08:37 AM   #5
ducatidoc
"TRF" Member

Watch: zenith
I take it you kinda like them ?

How are they for all-day comfort ? I wear my 251 on the OEM rubber and I can't even tell it's there most of the time. That buckle arrangement looks downright painful

# 26371
NAWCC Member
ducatidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2009, 09:16 AM   #6
TonyD
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatidoc View Post
I take it you kinda like them ?

How are they for all-day comfort ? I wear my 251 on the OEM rubber and I can't even tell it's there most of the time. That buckle arrangement looks downright painful
I bought a few since the price was pretty cheap!

After about a week of wearing them on both the Breitling Airwolf and the Panerai 251 I can say that they are super comfy. The material doesn't stretch like rubber but its very soft.

The buckle sits flat and the little pin never gets in the way. It doesn't dig in or pinch.

I can see your points about a high end watch on such a simple strap. But keep in mind the military background of a lot of our watches.
Old 12 December 2009, 11:20 AM   #7
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
Neat concept.I can see myself strapping that onto my Pam.Looks like it could be comfortable to wear also.
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 08:40 AM   #8
KarlFr
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Very original, tempted to try... but then again I'm rarely in i situation I'll need a parachord
KarlFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 08:56 AM   #9
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
If you go on their site you can see a bunch of things, not just watch straps....I personally dig the rifle sling.
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Skullring
"TRF" Member

Watch: Triple 6 SD
Looks good Tony. Very nice review too.
Old 25 January 2010, 12:02 PM   #11
Perdu
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Not my cuppa tea but nice review , Tony. They certainly are something different.

Benson 1937 Sterling Silver Hunter
Perdu is offline   Reply With Quote