The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 May 2010, 12:21 PM   #1
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Sinn U1 SDR

A few weeks ago I ordered a new Sinn U1 SDR from Germany. I am a die hard vintage Rolex guy and have been wearing a Rolex GMT 16750 since new for over 24 years.This summer I will be teaching my 3 year old son to swim and decided to buy a modern watch (beach watch). I looked at everything out there and was not impressed to say the least. With this Sinn I got way more than I bargained for.I have worn the watch all day everyday for 10 days now.It keeps time within -2 seconds a day.The watch IMHO is the best bang for the buck in its class hands down.Is there a better Dive watch for under $1500? Mine came on the rubber strap and having owned hundreds of watches will say its by far my favorite rubber strap and clasp combination.The watch is big and well balanced on the wrist.
It is now my new modern beater watch

If your considering a Sinn take the time and read the below features and stats.

* Tested based on European diving equipment standards and certified by Germanischer Lloyd, Hamburg
* Pressure-resistant to 100 bar (= approximately 1,000 m diving depth), certified by Germanischer Lloyd, Hamburg
* Case made of German submarine steel
* Completely seawater-resistant
* Captive diver´s bezel with TEGIMENT technology
* Sapphire crystal glass with state-of-the-art anti-reflective coating technology
* Clean, distinctive design
* Diver´s bezel with black hard coating for optimal readability

With the diving watch U1, Sinn engineers succeeded in developing a diving watch in which the quality of material and design gives it superior resistance to external influences under extreme conditions of use. In their search for a steel with the desired resistance, the Sinn engineers found what they were looking for at the German submarine yards Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH and Nordseewerke GmbH: the steel manufacturers for these shipyards supply small quantities of the original steel of the current German submarine production exclusively to Sinn for making diving watches — the very steel of which the external hulls of the German Navy´s new submarine class 212, which currently represents the most advanced non-nuclear submarines in the world, are made.

This original submarine steel is not only extraordinarily seawater-resistant but is also of the highest anti-magnetic quality without any residual magnetism. Another advantage of this steel is its outstanding ability to be combined with the TEGIMENT technology. Thus the rotating bezel of the diving watch U1 is surface-hardened as standard to 1500 Vickers. Likewise, the anti-reflective coat of the flat sapphire crystal glass has an extreme hardness of 1800 HV. To ensure reliably that the rotating bezel of the diving watch does not detach under harsh impacts, it is attached as a captive bezel to the central part of the case. The ratcheting is mounted on a sophisticated bearing system. Slightly radially offset locking pin positions protect the toothed ring, ensure reliable function over the long term and facilitate firm and secure ratcheting with a rich clicking sound.

The watertightness and pressure resistance of 100 bar (= 1000 m water depth) was certified for the diving watch U1 by Germanischer Lloyd, Hamburg. The safety test pressure used for this purpose was 125 bar.

* Movement
* Caliber:ETA 2824-2
* Movement winding:Automatic
* Bearing jewels:25
* Alternations:28.800 /Std.

* Case
* Case material:German submarine steel
* Crystal:Sapphire, with anti-reflective coating on both sides
* Case back:Solid
* Waterproof:yes
* Pressure resistance:100 bar
* Diameter of case:44,0 mm
* Watch thickness:14,3 mm
* Weight:113 g
* Band lug width:22 mm

A link to the companies site: http://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/U1_SDR.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07292.jpg (73.0 KB, 577 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07294.jpg (58.5 KB, 563 views)
File Type: jpg U1SDRStrap.jpg (30.3 KB, 565 views)
File Type: jpg sinnu1sdrside.jpg (19.6 KB, 560 views)

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Dr.B
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
I like it!
Old 4 May 2010, 12:53 PM   #3
everose

Fantastic Nikos.......like you, i have discovered Sinn offers outstanding quality/technology/durability for the $.

I think the strap is actually silicone and not rubber,and people seem to love its comfort. Just one of the myriad of features making Sinn a stand out watch co.Even the clasp on the strap looks to be incredibly well made.

I found out the other day "SDR" apparently stands for Schwarzem Drehring(black rotating bezel)

........I hope to join the Sinn club later this summer........but,.......like a kid in a candy store........ its hard to decide where to start!!!!!!.....so many of their designs look so appealing!!!!!!!!

Your SDR looks absolutely incredible.....congrats and wear in good health!!!!!!

everose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2010, 08:53 PM   #4
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Nikos, glad to see that you are pleased with your U1.
You can pick-up bracelet for different looks.
Sinn watches goes well with either strap or bracelet.

Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote