The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 24 December 2005, 03:22 AM   #1
Atomic

Seiko SKX779K Black Monster Review

Black Monster Review

The Seiko Black Monster SKX779K has been available for about five years and is a tough dive watch that is waterproof to 200m, has the 7S26, automatic movement and comes on a solid stainless steel bracelet and/or a rubber dive strap. It’s 42mm across and 13mm thick and for a mere US$190 give or take, it’s the best value watch available today.

It comes with a solid stainless steel unidirectional bezel with engraved numbers. The watch comes with a black or orange dial (with limited editions available in yellow or blue dials).

The 7S26 movement is a 21 jewel, non-hacking movement that cannot be manually wound. By non-hacking, I mean the second hand cannot be stopped to set the time to the absolute second. This could be problematic for some who are particular about precise accuracy. It beats at 21,600 beats per hour, so a tad slower than a standard auto, which usually beats around 28,000 bph.

The fact that it cannot be manually wound is a drawback as it means if you’re not wearing the watch for more than it’s 42 hour reserve, you’ll have to rotate it to keep it going, or keep it on a winder, or reset the date/time. It’s a minor drawback given how good this watch is. The movement also has a day and date function. Personally I can do without the day function as in my opinion it clutters the dial. I would rather have a manual wind function than a date function, but this is splitting hairs.

Down to the actually use. I really like this watch. As most divers are modelled after the Blancpain 50 Fathom (yes, including the ubiquitous Rolex Submariner) the Monster goes against the tide with a unique design that really lives up to it’s name. It’s a love it or hate it design, as it is pure function and very much a tool watch. I would not wear this watch with a suit at all.

That said, despite it’s size it is very comfortable on the wrist, with the heavy case nicely balanced by the heavy bracelet. The clasp on the Monster is a double deployment with a fliplock. The deployment is released by two spring driven buttons on each side of the clasp. It is very robust and feels solid. That baby won’t leave your wrist. I don’t know how it feels on a strap, but other Monster owners swear by the OEM Seiko rubber strap. The bracelet also has a diver suit expansion, which is pretty cool and easy to use. The only drawback I have read about this watch is the sizing. It uses pins with sleeves, and it can be a pain to get the sleeves over the pins. Best to have a dealer size it for you.

The watch is mostly brushed stainless, with some polished surfaces making for an interesting combination. The small part of each link (that the pin goes through) is polished, giving a nice contrast, but unlike the Yachtmaster, it is not over bearing and more tool like than the bling of the YM.

Accuracy-wise, it’s pretty good. I haven’t done a precise test, but generally over a period of five day of keeping it running, it was within +7 seconds a day. Not COSC standards, but for a watch costing less than $200 that’s damned impressive.

The lume is outstanding on this dial. The markers are large and easily readable as are the hands. The lume requires some charging but once lit up, it’s almost like holding up a candle in a dark room. It’s that bright!

The bezel rotates smoothly and solidly as well, with solid clicks all the way around. The case has two bezel protectors on the top and bottom so if you’re diving and knock your watch on a rock or a rusty hull, the bezel shouldn’t move.

The crown is a screw-in type and is easy to use, however, it may be the weakest point of the watch as it doesn’t have the same solid feel that a Rolex crown does. But then again, it doesn’t cost $7,000 either. This is only a concern for me since I don’t have a winder and will likely be resetting the time frequently over the life of the watch. Time will tell but it does screw in nicely... it just feels a tad wobbly when it's fully unscrewed.

Overall impressions of this watch are very positive. I think it’s the best watch you can buy for even less than US$1,000. I would highly recommend a Monster to anyone interested in a tough, no nonsense dive watch.

Photo courtesy of Dman

Last edited by Atomic; 29 December 2005 at 11:38 PM..
Old 24 December 2005, 04:06 AM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Thanks, Johnny....I can believe that the luminosity on that watch must be simply awesome. Any possibility for one of you to post such a shot? Thanks!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!

Last edited by JJ Irani; 24 December 2005 at 04:07 AM..
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2005, 08:42 AM   #3
----

Great review John! I agree +7 per day is pretty good considering the cost of the watch!
Old 26 December 2005, 11:18 PM   #4
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Great review John. Seiko = best value for your money watch on this planet.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2005, 01:37 AM   #5
BruceS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Well done John! Although the movement is non hacking, you can stop it with a bit of back pressure on the crown. Not quite as accurate as a hacking movement as there's always a bit of delay, but it works. It's the same way you hack a Speedmaster, or the Breguet Type XX for that matter!
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2005, 02:07 AM   #6
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS
Well done John! Although the movement is non hacking, you can stop it with a bit of back pressure on the crown. Not quite as accurate as a hacking movement as there's always a bit of delay, but it works. It's the same way you hack a Speedmaster, or the Breguet Type XX for that matter!
Thanks Brucio! Yeah I figured out the back pressure pretty quickly. I have the monsta on as I type this. I really like the way it wears and the unique look. My wife, however thinks its an ugly tank. Which I suppose it is, but its so ugly its good looking, methinks.

BTW, have I mentioned how much I am loving my ExpII these days. I just love it on a strap.
Old 29 December 2005, 09:33 PM   #7
AJC
"TRF" Member

Hey John,

Nice read,well done.Certainly a value for money watch that is destined to go in the watches hall of fame.

Aaron
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2005, 11:39 PM   #8
Atomic

Thanks Aaron. I know you have a Seiko diver too. I may Yao-ize it a bit in the future, as I said, but for now I am just loving it. Last night it was in the pool when I took my daughter swimming and it did just fine!
Old 3 January 2006, 05:00 AM   #9
Alan From New York

Watch: And Learn
Good for you, John!
Alan From New York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2006, 01:00 AM   #10
RobDad

Great review, pointing out the same problem I noticed - the weak crown. I set the watch a couple of times, and the crown felt like the threads were stripping (this happened to me with a Zeno Explorer) - so I sent it back. It actually bothered me so much it has really put me off 'cheap' divers - I've never had a similiar problem with Rolex (have owned almost every model of sports rollie at some time or another - currently a 16610) - or was I just unlucky?
RobDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2006, 02:10 AM   #11
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDad
Great review, pointing out the same problem I noticed - the weak crown. I set the watch a couple of times, and the crown felt like the threads were stripping (this happened to me with a Zeno Explorer) - so I sent it back. It actually bothered me so much it has really put me off 'cheap' divers - I've never had a similiar problem with Rolex (have owned almost every model of sports rollie at some time or another - currently a 16610) - or was I just unlucky?
I think you may have been unlucky. I've had mine over two months now and not a problem with the threading. I know a few other BM owners who say they have no issues with the crown. My issue with it is that once it's out, it feels a little flimsy, but it threads in nicely.
Old 8 June 2006, 11:25 PM   #12
Prince
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Sub/GMT/DJ
So far so good on mine. My impression, after a week of wearing it during weekdays, is that the Black Monster is all that its cracked up to be. And that lume... Out-friggin'-standing!!!
Old 8 June 2006, 11:47 PM   #13
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
So far so good on mine. My impression, after a week of wearing it during weekdays, is that the Black Monster is all that its cracked up to be. And that lume... Out-friggin'-standing!!!

I agree... It's been about seven months since I wrote that review and I have to say my respect for the monster has grown. It's tough and very comfortable and that lume is just blinding! Best bang for buck for a dive watch ever, IMHO.
Old 9 June 2006, 12:56 AM   #14
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic View Post
I agree... It's been about seven months since I wrote that review and I have to say my respect for the monster has grown. It's tough and very comfortable and that lume is just blinding! Best bang for buck for a dive watch ever, IMHO.
Absolutely agree.
Old 9 June 2006, 12:57 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Could no agree more John myself been blowing Seiko's trumpet for years.And even blasphemed the word Seiko,at the unmentionable place a few times.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2006, 01:41 AM   #16
Biblebanger

Nice review and Cool Watch!
Biblebanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2006, 11:55 AM   #17
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Absolutely agree.
I second that.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2006, 11:55 PM   #18
Biblebanger

Quote:
Thanks Brucio! Yeah I figured out the back pressure pretty quickly. I have the monsta on as I type this. I really like the way it wears and the unique look. My wife, however thinks its an ugly tank. Which I suppose it is, but its so ugly its good looking, methinks.

BTW, have I mentioned how much I am loving my ExpII these days. I just love it on a strap.
It's funny that sometimes the watches that our wives think are hideous or ugly are the ones that we love the most.
Biblebanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2006, 12:01 AM   #19
Atomic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblebanger View Post
It's funny that sometimes the watches that our wives think are hideous or ugly are the ones that we love the most.
Agreed, although my wife does like the look of the Panerai. The only negative thing (if you want to view it that way) is she said, 'wow, it's big'.
Old 13 June 2006, 12:04 AM   #20
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...The only negative thing (if you want to view it that way) is she said, 'wow, it's big'.
How can that be negative???
Old 13 June 2006, 02:41 AM   #21
Atomic

Quote:
How can that be negative???
She doens't like big watches. But then again, she doesn't have to wear it so who cares?
Old 13 June 2006, 04:01 AM   #22
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
She doens't like big watches. But then again, she doesn't have to wear it so who cares?
Oh. I thought perhaps she was speaking about something else...
Old 13 June 2006, 04:28 AM   #23
Atomic

Quote:
Oh. I thought perhaps she was speaking about something else...
She said that about that too .... but this is a family forum.
Old 13 June 2006, 05:19 AM   #24
Prince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Family forum or not, good for you!!!
Old 13 June 2006, 07:32 AM   #25
mailman

Quote:
You can talk about your feet here.
Old 22 June 2006, 03:17 AM   #26
indra
"TRF" Member

as somebody requested...

indra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2006, 07:09 AM   #27
mailman

[QUOTE=indra;88580]as somebody requested...

Ahh, another monster in the mix.
Old 22 June 2006, 07:27 AM   #28
Prince
"TRF" Member

Monsters Rule!!!
Old 23 June 2006, 06:31 AM   #29
Atomic

Quote:
Monsters Rule!!!
Yes they do!

Old 23 March 2007, 06:53 PM   #30
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Bit shaky, pass me the bottle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05333_resize.JPG (23.9 KB, 864 views)
Andad is offline   Reply With Quote