The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 November 2021, 01:32 AM   #1
frackas
"TRF" Member

5270P solid case back

I have ordered a 5270P as my first Patek and couldn´t be more excited:) I am considering mounting the solid case back that comes with it, instead of the sapphire crystal one. It´s great being able to enjoy the movement, but somehow I feel like the solid case back could give it a more classic, understated look. I have looked online for photos of 5270´s with solid case backs, but not found anything yet. Any 5270 owners here who have done this?
frackas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 10:54 AM   #2
JC180
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, BLRO, LV, SD
Classic and understated is for others, they cannot see the caseback. I wouldn't obscure that beautiful movement personally it's the enjoyment you get every time you put on and take of the watch.
JC180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 01:42 PM   #3
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Adding the caseback to any Patek PCC should shave off 1mm off the thickness as well as increase the heft.

I personally enjoy it as it becomes a slightly thinner watch.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 12:52 AM   #4
fgp
"TRF" Member

Wow...that's going to be a sensational incoming!

I like your idea!

I wanted to swap the caseback on my 5320 as well to the solid one. To be honest I thought it wouldn't be a great deal but my AD told me that swapping would be done by RSC only and so I decided to wait once I send it in for service anyway at some point.

Sorry cannot really help otherwise..quite curious about your project though...fingers crossed.
fgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 01:57 AM   #5
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgp View Post
Wow...that's going to be a sensational incoming!

I like your idea!

I wanted to swap the caseback on my 5320 as well to the solid one. To be honest I thought it wouldn't be a great deal but my AD told me that swapping would be done by RSC only and so I decided to wait once I send it in for service anyway at some point.

Sorry cannot really help otherwise..quite curious about your project though...fingers crossed.
If RSC swaps your Patek caseback, something truly odd must have happened - I know, just a slip of the mind, but a funny one no less

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 02:05 AM   #6
fgp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
If RSC swaps your Patek caseback, something truly odd must have happened - I know, just a slip of the mind, but a funny one no less
Oops….yes! Good one!
fgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 04:44 AM   #7
mrmoto88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I thought this can be done at a Salon? In London, they did tell me watches can also be regulated on site if you book in. It’s a fantastic watch, something to really look forward to.

Hadn’t appreciated it becomes thinner if the solid back is used-still debating whether to engrave it or not!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
mrmoto88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2021, 08:51 PM   #8
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Making it thinner is a nice plus, but hiding the movement on a manual PCC is something I wouldn’t want to do. If you go through with it, please post some pics of the result!
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2021, 08:37 AM   #9
frackas
"TRF" Member

Will do! I’m surprised that solid case backs are so rarely seen on 5270´s. It’s a look/feel that hearkens back to the era of the earlier Patek PPC´s like the 1518, 2499 and even the 3970. Seems fitting for a watch with a salmon dial too. I´ll keep you all posted if I go ahead. Maybe I´ll enjoy the movement for a few months first:)
frackas is offline   Reply With Quote