The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 January 2022, 04:10 PM   #1
Rushco22
"TRF" Member

AP House NYC

Has anyone heard when it is supposed to open? Can’t find any mention of it since the original announcements last March saying it would be 2021
Rushco22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 04:29 PM   #2
Reign
"TRF" Member

It’s been delayed but opening should be imminent.

It’s the first AP house to my knowledge that’s a JV with material good fyi. It’ll be fun once it opens since they’ll be able to do client events similar to other regions (assuming COVID gets better)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2022, 12:03 AM   #3
www777
"TRF" Member

So will they close the current store when this opens?
www777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2022, 05:24 AM   #4
Willyjo
2024 Pledge Member

Had the opportunity to visit AP House in Munich in Oct. Very different concept from the boutiques. It is more of a lounge/living room. They had a watch master in that day and it was great to discuss more about their history, future etc. I don't believe they are meant to replace the boutiques, rather supplement them.

I highly recommend visiting one if have the chance too.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk
Willyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2022, 05:11 PM   #5
Rushco22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
It’s been delayed but opening should be imminent.

It’s the first AP house to my knowledge that’s a JV with material good fyi. It’ll be fun once it opens since they’ll be able to do client events similar to other regions (assuming COVID gets better)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, this is very helpful, I didn’t realize that about Material Good. Can you / anyone give any more color on the AP / Material Good relationship? Seems like a good number of the newer AP boutiques are JVs with MG: Aspen, Boston, Dallas... Anything to keep in mind with my boutique being one of those? I actually had no idea that was the case until I just looked up Material Good and saw the list of boutiques on their site…
Rushco22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 01:13 AM   #6
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure how I feel about an AP House not being 100% Corporate owned, when the local Boutique is a Corporate-owned Boutique.

Seems whack.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 02:29 AM   #7
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about an AP House not being 100% Corporate owned, when the local Boutique is a Corporate-owned Boutique.

Seems whack.
I agree, and struggle to make sense of it. I'm hoping that it's corporate controlled, but a joint venture in the sense that MG kicked in some $$$ for the ability to use the space to entertain their clients too.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2022, 08:04 PM   #8
acaixguard
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post

Seems whack.
Same sentiments here. I still do not understand why AP wants to have such a tight relationship with MG.
acaixguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 06:02 AM   #9
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbgysam View Post
I agree, and struggle to make sense of it. I'm hoping that it's corporate controlled, but a joint venture in the sense that MG kicked in some $$$ for the ability to use the space to entertain their clients too.
ok here is my take - even though AP somewhat took care of me last year - and it does seem that the people there actually care about " collectors" with passion for the brand but here I go:

Keep in mind I love the watches and will always be a fan.

1. FHB is confused and wants to be a Hollywood celebrity and is loosing sight of what the brand stands for. Code sucks let's be honest (at best its an ok watch) and the marvel collaboration was/ is also a horrible idea.

I am ok with the code being a 20k watch / chrono max 25 k or so. WG/RG chrono with ceramic is cool but ridiculously priced at 50k plus.

2. All the good releases are just the same thing all over again - sometimes great but anything remotely interesting is not available to the general public anyway or it takes years of waiting with nothing cool in between. either same old ROO/ code or super VIP status needed to get ceramic/ PC pieces.

3. Why advertise super small batch production pieces like they are available for everyone when they are made in batches of 5-10 per year with only a few hundred produced in its lifetime.

3. Boutique system which leaves a a majority of customers hanging dry without any real access to the brand is ridiculous. Especially, if you then decide to do JV with shady local partner AD (cough cough westime).

4. Constant price increases that are inconsistent alienate already frustrated customers even further.

5. completely empty boutiques with not even any marketing pieces to try on are just plain stupid. AP house in Munich doesn't even have marketing pieces wtf
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 07:19 AM   #10
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
I am ok with the code being a 20k watch / chrono max 25 k or so. WG/RG chrono with ceramic is cool but ridiculously priced at 50k plus.
So you think the CODE chrono should be $10k cheaper than a PM Daytona with a mass-produced, undecorated movement on a rubber strap? Less than half of the cheapest VC chrono on a strap, and 1/3 of a PP or ALS flyback chrono? Ok then.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 07:23 AM   #11
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
So you think the CODE chrono should be $10k cheaper than a PM Daytona with a mass-produced, undecorated movement on a rubber strap? Less than half of the cheapest VC chrono on a strap, and 1/3 of a PP or ALS flyback chrono? Ok then.
if you like it and bought congrats. however way you cut it it's not even near a 50k watch to me, period - it doesn't even have a gold bracelet.
obviously AP is doing more than great so it doesn't matter but still my opinion.
Old 6 January 2022, 07:36 AM   #12
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
if you like it and bought congrats. however way you cut it it's not even near a 50k watch to me, period - it doesn't even have a gold bracelet.
obviously AP is doing more than great so it doesn't matter but still my opinion.
Didn't buy one (yet); just calling out the hyperbole regarding the price point. AP is not going to start competing with Omega on price by selling the CODE chrono below a gold Speedmaster on leather strap.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2022, 07:41 AM   #13
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Didn't buy one (yet); just calling out the hyperbole regarding the price point. AP is not going to start competing with Omega on price by selling the CODE chrono below a gold Speedmaster on leather strap.
ok I give you that, my pricing expectation is unrealistic - I think it's the simplistic dial that makes the watch "look cheap" or gimmiky - I just don't feel the pricing is justified given it's design.

Somedays I kinda like it actually but then I see the price and I just can't convince myself it's worth it.