The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 11 January 2022, 09:48 AM   #1
Cambo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Grand Seiko
Grand Seiko Craftmanship

Hi All
I have an SBGK002 and have never worn it, not simply because it is a limited edition but more because I have never had the perfect opportunity to put it on. I look at this piece more as a piece of art than a watch, considering what has gone on to make it. From the website:

"The dial showcases a form of Japanese craftsmanship, Urushi lacquer. The amber color dial is made from a transparent and long lasting Urushi that comes from trees grown in and around the town of Joboji that lies under Mt. Iwate, the mountain that dominates the skyline above the Shizukuishi Watch Studio. Through this amber colored ‘Suki-urushi’ lacquer can be seen the subtle Mt. Iwate pattern that reveals the watchmakers’ pride in the natural beauty that surrounds their home.

The hour markers and the ‘’GS’’ letters are decorated with the traditional Maki-e technique by Urushi master Isshu Tamura in his studio in Kanazawa on the west coast of Japan’s main island. Through the application of layer after layer of lacquer, these markers are given a three dimensional profile and a delicate yet strong presence on the dial. Tamura then applies the powder, either 24k gold or platinum, and then polishes them by hand using his own special tools to give Maki-e its delicately shimmering appearance. These processes require great dexterity as it is very challenging to give every marker the same depth, especially on a curved surface.

Edit: I love the spring drive

My question is this...can GS grow as a luxury watchmaker and still maintain this level of craftmanship/artistry for some pieces? Does Isshu Tamura have apprentices that can continue with this level of quality? Or will the future see more (technically) high quality watches with less artisan participation? I love the brand but see them coming to a crossroads as their popularity increases.

Just out for opinions

Last edited by Cambo; 11 January 2022 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: forgot to talk about the movement
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 09:56 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

It must be harder to enjoy the craftsmanship when it's not on your wrist? ;-)

So far, nothing suggests GS can't grow while maintaining quality. I suppose we shall see. In any event, they are nice now.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 10:03 PM   #3
kevn00
"TRF" Member

its a crime not to wear your watches. its always a perfect opportunity to wear it so just put it on
kevn00 is offline   Reply With Quote