The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 14 January 2022, 11:54 PM   #1
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
No Pepsi, Coke.

With apologies to Dan Aykroyd.

So, here in this thread I wrote about the new Steinhart diver watch that I bought for Boxing Day. Or Christmas, take your pick. Basically, I got it because I finally accepted the fact that I'm not going to be able to buy a new Submariner at my AD, and I'm not buying used nor at market prices because - market prices. Nutty.

Well, chalk it up to confusion over different web sites (shopping for price) and delayed shipping d/t holidays and just plain closed business for holidays and I kind of forgot that I had also bought a Coke. Now, Rolex actually did make a Coke style GMT years ago (1983-2007), but you can't get one now and even if you did, I suspect it would be very expensive, all scratched up and in need of a service. A quick glance at Chrono24 shows them listed for prices in the teens. And that's assuming that they are legit.

I bought the Coke instead of a Pepsi (they also make one of those) because although I like the blue and red, it's just a smidgen flashier than I care for, and the black and red flies under the radar a bit better.

Like my other Steinhart, the fit and finish on this is absolutely fabulous, the bracelet feels and fits great, and I like the fact that I can replace it new for less than the cost of a Rolex service. And no guys, it's not a fake, it's a homage. I would never wear a fake.

Plus, AFAIK, Rolex never offered the GMT in a 39mm, so that's a bonus for me and my tiny svelte wrists.

The picture was taken outside in shaded sunlight, no retouching or modifications other than cropping. Nice, huh? I'm stoked.

Steinhart is made in Germany with a Swiss ETA movement, ceramic bezel and sapphire crystal. It was a smidgen over $600.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coke.jpg (253.3 KB, 515 views)

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 01:40 AM   #2
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Beautiful.

I've been looking at a Steinhart as a daily beater because these Rolex secondary market prices keep going higher.

At some point you become "afraid" to wear your watch!
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 02:00 AM   #3
classicalthunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I've been intrigued by the Mil Sub homage they have as a beater
classicalthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 02:04 AM   #4
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Thats a great looking watch. Been on their website for the last 10 minutes.

Might buy something.

Thanks for the info
Old 15 January 2022, 05:00 AM   #5
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Nice looking homage. I have considered before (milsub)...because similar to you, I will never get a real milsub. 39mm is a bonus for the coke.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 12:32 AM   #6
m j b
"TRF" Member

So, after 4 days, the watch is within COSC limits (3 seconds) even though it's not advertised as such.

The GMT hand is off by 15 minutes, which is apparently not uncommon with this watch brand. If it were a $10K ($25K on the street) Rolex I'd be upset, but at this price, only the exceptionally OCD will complain. I'm OCD but not exceptionally so.

The wife thinks it's lovely too, which is a plus.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 18 January 2022, 05:30 AM   #7
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Looks well-built and nice! The date font looks a bit skinny, nothing that you are bothered by?
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 06:21 AM   #8
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K Johnson View Post
Looks well-built and nice! The date font looks a bit skinny, nothing that you are bothered by?
Hadn't noticed ... doesn't bother me.

Remember, it's not a fake, it's a homage. Not supposed to perfectly replicate it.

Old 18 January 2022, 06:28 AM   #9
Goin2drt
Banned

Good looking. How is the bracelet compared to a oyster? Usually on these cheaper watches that is what really makes them feel cheap. May have to start looking into one of these.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 01:01 PM   #10
Greglaw
Banned

You are building a Steinhart collection, and a nice one at that. Their watches really are a great bang for the buck. Now you have me thinking of getting another one. Just looked at some of the Rolex prices at the so-called “gray” dealers. It is a joke. The joy of collecting has been ruined by the new “collectors”. What a shame, it used to be such a fun hobby. Now, its all about the posing. There is a thread where some are bashing some guy who wanted to buy a RM, but, “doesn’t have a relationship” with a dealer. F*ck that. Licking their boots to buy a goddamn watch, no, I don’t think so. Buy their jewelry that I don’t want or need, for me or my wife, to build a “relationship”? Yeah, no, again, I don’t think so. I am enjoying my speedmaster, and now looking to other brands where you can actually buy the item you want. There are many, many cool brands out there, known, unknown, and everything in between. I don’t need to impress anyone, dealer, salesperson, or people on this forum. In my opinion you are making great choices. The look is great, I think the sizing is better than that offered by Rolex, and even if at some point you lose interest in it, at that price, who cares? Win-win. Gnomon watches offers some editions just for them from Steinhart, and they are really cool. I think I may do some shopping tonight, thank you for the inspiration!
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:31 AM   #11
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Good looking. How is the bracelet compared to a oyster? Usually on these cheaper watches that is what really makes them feel cheap. May have to start looking into one of these.
To answer that, I'm going to recall my first Rolex, a 5 digit sub. I sold it largely because of that cheap-feeling tuna can clasp and slack bracelet. Oh, I was so young and innocent then. It was replaced with the 6 digit "solid link" bracelet that was sooooooo much better made and felt solid and had that marvelous adjustment feature. But it grabbed my arm hairs a bit, and my Tudor is even worse for that. My Omega was on a strap because the bracelet was so uncomfortable. There's a big difference (to me) how a bracelet looks or snaps shut versus how it feels on the wrist. Unfortunately, we often don't know how that is until after a few days of wearing it.

So, yes, the bracelet has a bit of a cheap "tinnny" sound and feel to it if you just shake it. There is more slack/looseness to it than an Omega or Rolex. The micro adjustment is done via the four pin holes that you move the spring bar in and out of. The whole thing probably cost $25 to manufacture. But, I'll tell you honestly, it wears great. It's comfortable, it appears robust and well made, it is well finished and the edges are a smidgen sharp but no more than on my Tudor, and my arm hairs are all intact.

Interestingly, the person that assembled the bracelet for the GMT used less loctite than the person that did the diver. The diver required heat and massive pressure to remove the screws for adjustment. The GMT required just good pressure to get the screws out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greglaw View Post
Gnomon watches offers some editions just for them from Steinhart, and they are really cool. I think I may do some shopping tonight, thank you for the inspiration!
Thanks for the kind words (edited for brevity) Greg. Yes, Gnomon (which is who I bought my first Steinhart through) does offer some nice variations, including (as I did) ordering a watch without the Cyclops.

I concur, the current markup, AD dances and just general ridiculousness of the current Rolex market is just depressing. There are just too many fine alternatives.

Old 19 January 2022, 05:58 AM   #12
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Looks good! Nice alternative.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:27 PM   #13
L.K Johnson
"TRF" Member

Do you know what steel they use for the bracelet? 904L? 316L? 316F? Other?

Would be cool to see a side by side comparison to a 6 digit Rolex Oyster bracelet…one of the things I really love on my 116622 is the sharpness and clearness of the bracelet. It just pops on the wrist…
L.K Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:44 PM   #14
Gotwire
"TRF" Member

Fugazi.
Gotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 01:03 PM   #15
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Looks great!!! I had my eye on the Squale Coke GMT for a bit but already have a GMT from them. I understand that Steinhart and Squale are similar in quality so I bet you’ll enjoy this piece for many years to come!!!

I too like the “coke” bezel better than “pepsi”. I find the blue much to bright on both the Steinhart and Squale versions. The black/red is much more subtle as you said but you still get a pop of color :) VERY NICE!
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 10:04 PM   #16
m j b
"TRF" Member

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K Johnson View Post
Do you know what steel they use for the bracelet? 904L? 316L? 316F? Other?

Would be cool to see a side by side comparison to a 6 digit Rolex Oyster bracelet…one of the things I really love on my 116622 is the sharpness and clearness of the bracelet. It just pops on the wrist…
316L. I believe that they offer "special" versions for a few more hundred dollars made out of 904L.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sharpness and clearness" of the bracelet. Sharp, to me, means uncomfortable. Doesn't matter, as I sold my Rolex many years ago... so I have nothing to compare it to directly other than my poor memory.

Old 14 February 2022, 02:17 AM   #17
m j b
"TRF" Member

Slightly fuzzy picture... sorry. I popped off the cyclops (or as I call it, the wart) for a cleaner, less-fake-Rolex look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5269.JPG (158.6 KB, 115 views)