The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2022, 05:28 AM   #1
Plexiglass
"TRF" Member

Watch: I dont wear watch
Pp 5130g

I have been looking at this for a while. I like it but just afraid it will be hard to resell one day. I usually change my watches every 2/3 years not looking to speculate but just hate to lose money on watches. Any thoughts?
It is still a PP at affordable price, which get me thinking maybe is not as commercial…thanks!
Plexiglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 05:49 AM   #2
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

If you want a quick sale on a Patek, I would suggest getting one of the "hot" watches. They are selling at a premium, but you will be able to sell it quickly if you need to.

Some of the other "classic" watches are not going to sell as quick and the buy-sell price spread will be wider. If a re-sellet has to sit on a watch for a longer time because it is not a large demand watch, he will obviously wanter a wider buy-sell spread to account for his cashflow and profit margins.

In regards to the 5130G, it is a nice classic watch. I own several Patek WTs and they are very special in their own way.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 06:04 AM   #3
Plexiglass
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
If you want a quick sale on a Patek, I would suggest getting one of the "hot" watches. They are selling at a premium, but you will be able to sell it quickly if you need to.

Some of the other "classic" watches are not going to sell as quick and the buy-sell price spread will be wider. If a re-sellet has to sit on a watch for a longer time because it is not a large demand watch, he will obviously wanter a wider buy-sell spread to account for his cashflow and profit margins.

In regards to the 5130G, it is a nice classic watch. I own several Patek WTs and they are very special in their own way.

Thanks! True but the hot PP cost 2/3 times this one lol. But i get your point. I guess there is a risk to lose a little money here which is fine providing its not half…
Old 19 January 2022, 01:56 AM   #4
flava_1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3800/1J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plexiglass View Post
I have been looking at this for a while. I like it but just afraid it will be hard to resell one day. I usually change my watches every 2/3 years not looking to speculate but just hate to lose money on watches. Any thoughts?
It is still a PP at affordable price, which get me thinking maybe is not as commercial…thanks!

You can get one grey or second hand for a bargain. Substantially below current retail for it and the newer 5230G. But I agree that it will be harder to sell unless they become en vogue which is hard to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flava_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 05:04 AM   #5
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

If you like the watch and plan to wear it, don't speculate too much on how much you will lose if/when you sell it. Very few people worry about buying a car and worrying how much you will lose on re-sale in 2-3 years. If you do, might as well just take Uber everywhere instead of buying a car. Similar for watches in that you can always use your phone to tell and you dont really need a Patek watch to tell time. Just go for it!
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 06:49 AM   #6
flava_1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3800/1J
With the whole line of world timers apparently being discontinued. It might hold value better than you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
flava_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2022, 12:26 PM   #7
Plexiglass
"TRF" Member

Thank you all. I got a word today that state tax laws have changed and now i have to pay taxes on it even if second hand and shipped to a different state. I bought watches in the past without state taxes if used but maybe it is a new law as it was a way back. I found strange to have to pay state tax. Any opinion here even pm?
Old 20 January 2022, 12:21 AM   #8
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plexiglass View Post
i have to pay taxes on it even if second hand and shipped to a different state.
This is generally true, and has been the case for a while (although it depends on the particular state). In the past, many dealers just have not collected or remitted the tax (very hard for states to monitor out-of-state sellers).

I had one friend travel to Delaware to receive a watch within that state (DE has no state or local sales tax) to avoid sales tax in the place of purchase (NY). He received the watch at a hotel. That's likely breaking the law, but that's what he did...
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote