The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 14 January 2021, 03:26 AM   #1
Trog
Banned

When to get your deposit back.....321

Like so many others, I plonked down a sizable deposit on the new Ed White 321. Of course at the time, no one anticipated how the response to the Pandemic would have impacted global production.

Having just passed the 1-year anniversary, I'm beginning to get tired of the wait.

I've moved away from Rolex years ago due to their frustratingly long wait lists, and I'm thinking of doing the same for Omega......and not just for the Ed White, but to cut bait entirely.

I believe Omega is emulating Rolex's silly-bugger marketing games in the hopes it will increase brand hype.

Frankly, I don't want to participate in these games.

Am I being irrational?
Trog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 03:30 AM   #2
Thrasher36
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 216570
I think u should go or not based on how much u want or admire the watch. Don't make a decision based on internet speculation in the time of COVID, Omega has a lot on its plate between, Ed White , Snoopy, the new Speedmasters, COVID and god knows what else
Thrasher36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 03:41 AM   #3
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
I agree with what you are saying above. I think COVID has thrown a monkey wrench in everything or in Omega's plans (whatever they were prior).

Who knows if this is what they wanted all along and COVID has given them a legitimate excuse to further their agenda.

So in short, you aren't being irrational at all however I think you can cut them a little slack because from the get-go they did announce that this watch was going to be hard to comeby due to the movement and the skill required by the watchmaker.

Lastly, Omega shortages are starting to spur up in other categories as well. White/Black SMPs, New Moontwatch (understandably) and White/Blue Constellations seem to be sold out in some places and are waiting list items (however the waitlist is not long) and you can you get your watch in a few weeks.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 03:51 AM   #4
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog View Post
Like so many others, I plonked down a sizable deposit on the new Ed White 321. Of course at the time, no one anticipated how the response to the Pandemic would have impacted global production.

Having just passed the 1-year anniversary, I'm beginning to get tired of the wait.

I've moved away from Rolex years ago due to their frustratingly long wait lists, and I'm thinking of doing the same for Omega......and not just for the Ed White, but to cut bait entirely.

I believe Omega is emulating Rolex's silly-bugger marketing games in the hopes it will increase brand hype.

Am I being irrational?
I can certainly see your point, but I wouldn't have put down a deposit in the first place.

I may be totally wrong here, but having seen a 321, I don't think there is going to be a silly long queue at the OB for it. I think things will be different for the Snoopy 3 though.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 03:54 AM   #5
robertengel
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Am I being irrational?
They asked me to pay in full for a quoted delivery time of June last year. Once I wired the money it was July then I asked for a refund. Don't know if they got any in since. I don't think they did it maliciously but still. I was much less patient than you were.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
robertengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 03:55 AM   #6
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Am I being irrational?
I believe this to be the case with a select few Omega references.

Unfortunately, for a luxury watch brand to be desirable in the current market, there must be an element of exclusivity....even if it's only a few models, they still must present that way or risk being completely ignored 100% by the market.

As much as the WIS hates this, it is very clear that limited availability is what the market craves and brands must accommodate this or get cast aside.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 03:58 AM   #7
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Nope, not irrational. I would never wait a year for an omega. I love omega, and i enjoy the fact i can scoop them up for heavy discounts outside of their boutiques. Waiting a year and paying full price is not for me. I can appreciate their attempt to try and emulate what Rolex has going on, but it’s a tough sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 04:21 AM   #8
cts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Nope, not irrational. I would never wait a year for an omega. I love omega, and i enjoy the fact i can scoop them up for heavy discounts outside of their boutiques. Waiting a year and paying full price is not for me. I can appreciate their attempt to try and emulate what Rolex has going on, but it’s a tough sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dumb question I know but what does the A and R mean on the back of the case? I know it has to do with power reserve but just wondering what they stand for?
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 04:53 AM   #9
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
If I had to pay a 100% deposit down, I would've requested a refund too after a year. If it was just a 20% or even 50% (depending on how badly I wanted the watch) I might wait a little longer.

Not being irrational since there are so many other things you can do with that money. With the way the stock market is going (at least in the US), you could've invested that money and then just bought on the GM with the original capital plus the gains in one year.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 05:01 AM   #10
C0d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
I can certainly see your point, but I wouldn't have put down a deposit in the first place.

I may be totally wrong here, but having seen a 321, I don't think there is going to be a silly long queue at the OB for it. I think things will be different for the Snoopy 3 though.
Umm 321 seems harder to come by than the Snoopy. Although demand for snoopy is much higher due its "flippability" if that's a word.

If someone's hurting for 321, DavidSW has you covered,

https://davidsw.com/shop/watch/omega...-321-ed-white/
Old 14 January 2021, 05:01 AM   #11
logo
"TRF" Member

What a world we live in where a 100% deposit on a 15K watch doesn't get you that piece in a year. You basically gave the AD an interest-free loan.

I can deal with wait lists, and I would prefer EVERY watch to just be MSRP or nothing (don't like playing games). But that should come with a watch that is obtainable within a reasonable amount of time.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 05:03 AM   #12
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
We're all different. If I were to put $14k (100% of the MSRP) on a watch, it would mean that I really, really want the watch. Now I understand that desires & feelings change after a year of waiting. You have to ask yourself if you can walk away with your refund and not have any regrets. Tough call.

I would hang in there but it's not my 14 grand in the hands of an OB.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 06:42 AM   #13
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

This is one watch that is genuinely coming in sparingly by Omega. One can debate the if it's the actual production process vs marketing/manipulation (or both) but it doesn't change the reality that the largest boutiques in the country (US) are getting an average of 1 every other month so far. With the demand on the watch and the fact these watches will go toward people that have history/relationships with the boutique.....the situation with all these unfulfilled deposits doesn't surprise me. Good thing is you can get your deposit back anytime....those deposits actually is somewhat a formality because Omega pushes boutiques to charge immediately as higher in demand watches hit boutiques....if they cannot charge/net the payment immediately, they are instructed to move on immediately to the next on list.

Bottom line, if you can't wait....I don't see much point keeping your money with the boutique.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 07:26 AM   #14
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by C0d View Post
Umm 321 seems harder to come by than the Snoopy. Although demand for snoopy is much higher due its "flippability" if that's a word.

If someone's hurting for 321, DavidSW has you covered,

https://davidsw.com/shop/watch/omega...-321-ed-white/
Or Chrono24 for a lot less.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 10:13 AM   #15
greeneyedguy
Banned

You have to look at your long term collection goals. If the 321 fills the niche then just hold strong. If not then pass.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:43 AM   #16
Trog
Banned

Allow me to provide some additional details for context.....

I made the deposit during the first week of January 2020 at my AD with whom I've had a long relationship. If I had known that Omega would be favoring their OB's, I very much doubt I would have made the purchase.

My AD has informed me that only one 321 has been delivered in my market, and that was to an OB VIP.

If Omega intends to focus on their OB orders at the expense of their AD's, then I suspect it may be many years before mine is delivered.

I also have to consider my AD's liquidity. Given how economies can decay quickly, I would likely lose my deposit should they file Chapter 11.

I've been reserving a spot in the collection for a chronograph for a while now. And while the Ed White would have fit in nicely, there are many other models that would do just as well.

I think I've just tossed in the towel!
Old 14 January 2021, 12:11 PM   #17
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Allow me to provide some additional details for context.....

I made the deposit during the first week of January 2020 at my AD with whom I've had a long relationship. If I had known that Omega would be favoring their OB's, I very much doubt I would have made the purchase.

My AD has informed me that only one 321 has been delivered in my market, and that was to an OB VIP.

If Omega intends to focus on their OB orders at the expense of their AD's, then I suspect it may be many years before mine is delivered.

I also have to consider my AD's liquidity. Given how economies can decay quickly, I would likely lose my deposit should they file Chapter 11.

I've been reserving a spot in the collection for a chronograph for a while now. And while the Ed White would have fit in nicely, there are many other models that would do just as well.

I think I've just tossed in the towel!
Since it’s not with an OB, I would probably pull out. If your deposit was with an OB, you should find out your place in line and then determine if it was worth staying (dependent on your financial situation and interest in the watch).
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 12:42 PM   #18
Justindo
"TRF" Member

My Omega AD told me flat out that they have only received one 321 so far and advised me to get one at the boutique, as the boutiques have been given priority for this watch. Based on what the boutique has told me, this is true, as they are getting 1-2 a month. I recently went the boutique route with 100% payment and I know I will eventually be getting the watch. I didn't really mind because my AD offered no discount. The boutique told me it could be anywhere from two months to two years, but they said that it would realistically be less than a year. If I were you, I would probably get on the list at the boutique if you really want the watch and the sooner the better.

Although it stinks to have to put down a 100% deposit on an Omega, the fact is that the 321 is truly limited by production due to the single watchmaker assembly, unlike the artificially limited Rolexes that they could churn out quickly if they wanted. I've been "on the list" for a white dial Daytona at my AD for over three years and I've completely given up on getting the watch at this point. Needless to say, my money has been going to other brands, like Omega, instead of Rolex due to their recent practices.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 12:59 PM   #19
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
My Omega AD told me flat out that they have only received one 321 so far and advised me to get one at the boutique, as the boutiques have been given priority for this watch. Based on what the boutique has told me, this is true, as they are getting 1-2 a month. I recently went the boutique route with 100% payment and I know I will eventually be getting the watch. I didn't really mind because my AD offered no discount. The boutique told me it could be anywhere from two months to two years, but they said that it would realistically be less than a year. If I were you, I would probably get on the list at the boutique if you really want the watch and the sooner the better.

Although it stinks to have to put down a 100% deposit on an Omega, the fact is that the 321 is truly limited by production due to the single watchmaker assembly, unlike the artificially limited Rolexes that they could churn out quickly if they wanted. I've been "on the list" for a white dial Daytona at my AD for over three years and I've completely given up on getting the watch at this point. Needless to say, my money has been going to other brands, like Omega, instead of Rolex due to their recent practices.
I abandoned Rolex for the same reason...4-years waiting for a Daytona.

I have no desire to be put on the bottom of a multi-year wait list at the OB.

This is where I say goodbye to Omega. If it was unlikely that I would see a 321 from my AD in a reasonable time, then they shouldn't of taken my deposit.
Old 14 January 2021, 01:47 PM   #20
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I abandoned Rolex for the same reason...4-years waiting for a Daytona.

I have no desire to be put on the bottom of a multi-year wait list at the OB.

This is where I say goodbye to Omega. If it was unlikely that I would see a 321 from my AD in a reasonable time, then they shouldn't of taken my deposit.
I think dealers didn't fully realize the demand and the slow production for this watch. Apparently, only six watchmakers are producing the movement so they can only produce so many so fast.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 02:31 PM   #21
C0d
Banned

These are trickling down very slowly according to many discussions around internet forums.

Some people are getting deposits back or so they say.
Old 14 January 2021, 09:23 PM   #22
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Couple of months ago I spoke with an Omega AD. He's got the Omega president of North America on his speed dial.

He told me: If you want a hard to get Omega, get in contact or visit an Omega Boutique. At the time he said I can get you just about any Speedy (not an Ed White or Snoopy). He said he can even get me an Apollo 8. But nothing else.

He went on to say that this is what Omega is doing with the hard to get watches: The boutiques get priority. The ADs will continue to get the Speedy Pros and all the Seamasters they want. But they won't get the LE or LP watches.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 09:48 PM   #23
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think your decision to get your deposit back is a good one. I do not get game playing and I think in the end this is what is occurring. I like Omega as a brand but I am getting the felling they are starting into the Rolex model of availability manipulation. This plays to the secondary Grey Market as it drives prices and hype and in the end the collector/owner has a hard time getting what they want.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 10:09 PM   #24
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

There isn’t a single watch in the universe I would put 100% deposit down without guaranteed delivery in a few months. Think of what you could have done with $14k in the stock market this past year .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 02:32 AM   #25
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I'd get my money back.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2021, 02:34 AM   #26
Trog
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I think your decision to get your deposit back is a good one. I do not get game playing and I think in the end this is what is occurring. I like Omega as a brand but I am getting the felling they are starting into the Rolex model of availability manipulation. This plays to the secondary Grey Market as it drives prices and hype and in the end the collector/owner has a hard time getting what they want.
I think your observations are spot-on! Omega has certainly taken a page out of the Rolex marketing handbook and hope limiting supply will create hype for the brand.

Frankly, I don't believe it will have the desired effect. In fact, I suspect they'll lose a good chunk of their fanbase.
Old 16 January 2021, 01:43 AM   #27
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
I always have a hard time with deposits over time, even if they give you the money back they had a year of using your $$ to finance their endeavors while you will just get the same principal amount back a year later. Deposits should be no more than $100 tops IMHO. I get when a product has arrived and you drop a deposit or prepayment to go and pick it up, but paying thousands and waiting.. its tough to swallow.
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 01:54 AM   #28
greeneyedguy
Banned

Have any of these watches made it to America yet through authorized dealers?
Old 16 January 2021, 01:55 AM   #29
Cassidy776
Banned

Just get the new 3861.........its a much better looking watch overall than the 321
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2021, 02:21 AM   #30
greeneyedguy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy776 View Post
Just get the new 3861.........its a much better looking watch overall than the 321
I like the less cluttered dial of the 321. The 321 has better finishing on the movement which is more pleasing to the eye. The 321 looks better to me.