The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 30 May 2021, 10:50 AM   #91
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
So I got told that I would not be put on the list for an Odysseus if I purchased the 414.026 (1815 chrono boutique edition). But I would be waitlisted for if I got any of the other regular chronos.

Anyone else know if this is policy? I'm dealing with the boutique btw. Not feeling too happy considering I pay the same but get treated differently for buying what is a boutique only model.
If you have the patience for this BS from Lange, you are a better man than I.
Because of all the hype surrounding the 5711 and the CB, 15202 et al, Lange felt left out and came up with a plan to alienate as many of their "little fish" clients as possible. This opaque "tier" program must be based on the model of how to buy a Captaincy in the Prussian Army ca. 1890. Or how to get into a Co-op in NYC circa 1990, or, perhaps, how to pledge a fraternity pre "Animal House".
If you really want this GMO contrivance pay the $85K and buy one on the grey market before all you hair falls out from aggravation.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 11:19 AM   #92
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Not big on it either. It just feels insulting to someone’s intelligence.
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 11:48 AM   #93
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

i was thinking about the WG odysseus on rubber but this crap is putting me off.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 06:03 PM   #94
893bet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
I assume the white gold is available with out faffing about. The wait is only for steel.
893bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 07:39 PM   #95
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
If you have the patience for this BS from Lange, you are a better man than I.
Because of all the hype surrounding the 5711 and the CB, 15202 et al, Lange felt left out and came up with a plan to alienate as many of their "little fish" clients as possible. This opaque "tier" program must be based on the model of how to buy a Captaincy in the Prussian Army ca. 1890. Or how to get into a Co-op in NYC circa 1990, or, perhaps, how to pledge a fraternity pre "Animal House".
If you really want this GMO contrivance pay the $85K and buy one on the grey market before all you hair falls out from aggravation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Not big on it either. It just feels insulting to someone’s intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
There is no easy option or shortcut to purchasing a product when demand massively exceeds supply, any manufacturer has to try to manage client expectations and since this is virtually impossible it is inevitably people feel upset and let down.

Of course, the solution is easy, find yourself a watch from a manufacturer no one else wants to buy and supply will be instant and hassle free.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 08:51 PM   #96
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Agreed Russell, however there are ways and ways of managing tricky situations and disappointments. With the vantage of time I am increasingly convinced that my experience is a perfect example of how not to manage a relationship.

I buy a watch every few years to keep and to wear; with great sadness, I doubt there will be another Lange there.

The amount of goodwill and long-term loyalty the company has squandered among existing and potential customers should trouble them.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2021, 11:28 PM   #97
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Agreed Russell, however there are ways and ways of managing tricky situations and disappointments. With the vantage of time I am increasingly convinced that my experience is a perfect example of how not to manage a relationship.

I buy a watch every few years to keep and to wear; with great sadness, I doubt there will be another Lange there.

The amount of goodwill and long-term loyalty the company has squandered among existing and potential customers should trouble them.
Spot on and Russell is on point, too. Best advice: buy elsewhere. Fortunately, there are many independents who make superb products that most don't recognize, my personal favorite is the Urban Jurgensen 1.
One of the advantages of being older, and there aren't many, is that you were around when watch unavailability wasn't a thing unless you wanted a personalized Patek. If you didn't buy a 15202, CB, 5711, 5167 etc, it was your own damn fault. If you held out because the discount to MSRP on a pre-owned blue dial 5711 wasn't enough, it's on you.
New collectors, interested in a stainless Odysseus, either have to have deep pockets or find another grail watch, one which their mates may not instantly be able to identify.

Last edited by cascavel; 30 May 2021 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: Grammer, as usual.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 03:39 AM   #98
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
There is no easy option or shortcut to purchasing a product when demand massively exceeds supply, any manufacturer has to try to manage client expectations and since this is virtually impossible it is inevitably people feel upset and let down.

Of course, the solution is easy, find yourself a watch from a manufacturer no one else wants to buy and supply will be instant and hassle free.
The issue is that their policy is inconsistent. I got an allocation with 1 purchase but a friend in Singapore with 3x the spend I have did not. Seems a little odd. Would rather just have a public site page with a transparent policy as it’s obvious to me ADs are playing games.
Old 31 May 2021, 06:40 AM   #99
Langepedia
"TRF" Member

Although it is rather hard to comprehensively write about this policy; which I have never done so far simply because I seem to be too lazy to do so, two of the biggest problems for me - and many others - is the inconsistency, and the disrespect to many, many collectors who amassed their pieces from local ADs where Lange BTQs have not been.

I'll most certainly get into this!
Langepedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 08:35 AM   #100
PaulFL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Fingers crossed guys for a faster delivery, I see Lange has also now made the bracelet not removable. I love the bracelet but have also enjoyed swopping out for a custom rubber strap.
I remember reading in a different thread that only the first x number (200 I believe was stated) would have the bracelet removable which certainly sucks a bit, but I will still be ecstatic once mine actually comes in.

I had asked you about your awesome straps not too long ago, glad I didn't place the order lol.
PaulFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 08:36 AM   #101
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langepedia View Post
Although it is rather hard to comprehensively write about this policy; which I have never done so far simply because I seem to be too lazy to do so, two of the biggest problems for me - and many others - is the inconsistency, and the disrespect to many, many collectors who amassed their pieces from local ADs where Lange BTQs have not been.

I'll most certainly get into this!
Agreed, it's just kind of a giant slap to the face.
Old 4 June 2021, 08:57 AM   #102
Horationelson
"TRF" Member

On a loosely related note, I have noticed that Lange pieces seem to be much harder to pick up on the grey/secondary market (new and boxed). Chronext used to have a handful of new Langes listed, but they haven’t had a single one listed for several months now. Chrono24 and a handful of grey dealers I have previously enquired to in London about Lange pieces no longer seem to be able to get hold of them. (I’ve never brought from a grey and probably never will, but I did make some high level enquiries last year when shopping around).

This is surely a good thing - other brands *cough ROLEX* could learn a thing or two here.
Horationelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 09:06 AM   #103
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Is the demand for the SS Ody really as high as we're talking about here?

Not a single person I know has cared about it. All they care about is the standard issue SS models from PP, Rolex, AP (in that order, actually).

No one seems to care about the SS Ody (well, except me, and many of us Lange lovers here).
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 09:37 AM   #104
Greenp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Photo from Lange web site.

Photo of current bracelet fitment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If the bracelet has no cut outs for access to the spring bars, how is even the service center going to take off the bracelet.
Greenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 10:13 AM   #105
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Wow, that's shocking, honestly.
Old 4 June 2021, 10:23 AM   #106
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Is the demand for the SS Ody really as high as we're talking about here?

Not a single person I know has cared about it. All they care about is the standard issue SS models from PP, Rolex, AP (in that order, actually).

No one seems to care about the SS Ody (well, except me, and many of us Lange lovers here).
I ordered hoping to do what Russ did and throw a rubber strap on it or something similar as I believe it looks 28328x better that way.

Now, I'll probably wear it for a few months and decide if I like it without the rubber... Probably won't though, we'll see.
Old 4 June 2021, 11:14 AM   #107
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Yeah, I'm still waiting for mine (coming later this year), as well. And was hoping to have the flexibility to do what Russell did with his (it turned out amazingly well!).

I still want it, obviously, but the change in the bracelet is disappointing.
Old 4 June 2021, 01:39 PM   #108
Justindo
"TRF" Member

The change in the bracelet is really disappointing, as I personally dislike how the faux integrated bracelet looks and would put it on a sailcloth strap. Thankfully, I don't really like the watch, although I would by my choice among the high horology steel pieces if I had to wear one.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 03:46 PM   #109
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenp View Post
If the bracelet has no cut outs for access to the spring bars, how is even the service center going to take off the bracelet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I ordered hoping to do what Russ did and throw a rubber strap on it or something similar as I believe it looks 28328x better that way.

Now, I'll probably wear it for a few months and decide if I like it without the rubber... Probably won't though, we'll see.
Quote:
Yeah, I'm still waiting for mine (coming later this year), as well. And was hoping to have the flexibility to do what Russell did with his (it turned out amazingly well!).

I still want it, obviously, but the change in the bracelet is disappointing.
Hopefully there will prove to be a simple technique to remove the bracelet, it isn’t part of the case and for reasons of water resistance it can’t be attached from within the case - possibly removing links exposes access to the pin bar for removal.
Old 4 June 2021, 05:15 PM   #110
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et

From last week, allocated. I don’t see the new bracelet/lug design here so they’re still shipping original design.
Old 4 June 2021, 06:15 PM   #111
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post

From last week, allocated. I don’t see the new bracelet/lug design here so they’re still shipping original design.
This is the new bracelet - non removable (at least with no obvious pin bar).
Old 4 June 2021, 10:05 PM   #112
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

I don't understand how they'd service it, honestly.

Heck, how did they even get the bracelet on?
Old 4 June 2021, 10:16 PM   #113
Gibraltar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't understand how they'd service it, honestly.

Heck, how did they even get the bracelet on?
The same way they service the WG model, presumably. The bracelet can still be removed, just not the first link between the lugs. I imagine you could still fit a strap, but you'd need a custom one.

That being said, the change is unfortunate :(
Gibraltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 10:31 PM   #114
edhahn44
"TRF" Member

Just checked mine (early 2020) delivery and it has the visible spring bars like on the picture of the website. Does anyone know when the change happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
edhahn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2021, 10:42 PM   #115
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
This is the new bracelet - non removable (at least with no obvious pin bar).

Ah. I got the new and the old mixed up.
Unfortunate change.
Old 4 June 2021, 10:59 PM   #116
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

It really irritates me that ALS doesn't respect its customers enough to let them wear their watches the way they want. That they consciously and deliberately changed the bracelet to remove the choice from customers quite frankly pisses me off.
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 12:47 AM   #117
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibraltar View Post
The same way they service the WG model, presumably. The bracelet can still be removed, just not the first link between the lugs. I imagine you could still fit a strap, but you'd need a custom one.

That being said, the change is unfortunate :(
The strap can be "pushed" inwards to reach for the springbar, something you cannot do with a metal bracelet.
fmc000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 01:42 AM   #118
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Lange Sales/Distribution Change – Pre-Sale Pieces and Application Pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
The strap can be "pushed" inwards to reach for the springbar, something you cannot do with a metal bracelet.

Are you sure, there is a metal section between the lugs on the WG models - the fitment looks the same as the SS version?

Old 5 June 2021, 11:30 PM   #119
Gibraltar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc000 View Post
Sorry, I probably wasn't clear enough. What I meant was you can still remove most of the bracelet, which is enough to service the watch. You cannot remove the link between the lugs, so you end up with something that looks like the WG model with the strap removed.

Interestingly, those links between the lugs are still different between the new steel and the WG model. On the steel one the buttons to remove the bracelet are on the 2nd link, while the buttons to remove the strap on the WG model are on the link between the lugs.
Gibraltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2021, 11:34 PM   #120
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Lange saw Russ’s awesome photos and pulled a Rolex making it hard to modify lol