The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 December 2021, 04:40 PM   #121
kanwind
"TRF" Member

really good discussion
I am from Hong Kong that the hot and wet weather make it is not easy to wear dress watch from in and out
but i used to wear my 5320 and 5056 as my daily watch as i used to wear suit in daily working office
I only wear 5712 or rolex when holiday
kanwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2021, 06:12 PM   #122
djona
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinMoses View Post
As another father of young kids I think they are very valid considerations - mine are 1 and 3 and bath time, nappy changes, etc do make you think about what you reach for from the watch box. Also I do think it depends on how and if you are dressing for work, etc.

That said, this weekend I put on a dress shirt just to be able to wear my VC ultra-fine 1955 and today I put on my 5196r to wear around the house (5196 is actually a very versatile piece in my view and does just as well with jeans and a t-shirt as it does with a suit).

The watch I have found that suits my lifestyle overall though is the VC Overseas on a rubber strap. It is my do anything watch and it feels at home. An aquanaut would cover the same ground if I could have gotten one.

In summary I would say that I am finding a lot more time for dress watches in my life, but it is a conscious effort and has some restrictions. I think the really watch of the moment is one that straddles that boundary of robust, sporting and refined. Of the major names, I think the royal oak is the one in most danger as it is the least practical as a daily wear, despite being a “sports watch”.
What size are your wrists? I love the way my 5196 wears on my ~6.3” wrist. I’ve been thinking about picking up the VC 7900 dual time but am almost certain it’ll wear too large and thick.
djona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 07:47 AM   #123
QuelleHeureEstIl
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwind View Post
really good discussion
I am from Hong Kong that the hot and wet weather make it is not easy to wear dress watch from in and out
Totally agree! I would love a classic watch on holiday, but bracelet/strap are an issue in these climates.
Unfortunately in Switzerland and Europe, people are not used to hot-humid climate and cannot understand the discomfort of a leather strap.

It would be fantastic to be able to buy original composite straps RM/VC overseas/Aquanaut style.
QuelleHeureEstIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 09:33 AM   #124
SDDS
"TRF" Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 11:19 PM   #125
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDS View Post

Love it.
Red strap/Black dial works a treat!
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 11:27 PM   #126
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What a lovely strap.

Where's it from?

GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 12:27 AM   #127
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:

Looks like an s63 on your wrist. Magnificent
Old 23 December 2021, 10:25 AM   #128
SDDS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
What a lovely strap.

Where's it from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Looks like an s63 on your wrist. Magnificent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murcielagoboy2 View Post
Love it.
Red strap/Black dial works a treat!
thank you guys for your sweet comments, the strap is custom from PP
Rolex Oysterquartz 17000 N series
Rolex OP 41MM 124300 Green Dial
SDDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 07:36 AM   #129
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The hype kids only care about which watches mimic crypto's rise because they want to invest in watches.

The hype kids don't wear watches. They use their iPhone and Apple Watch.
Not sure that’s true, rarely seen as many gold say dates in one place as on crypto conferences, same is true for Genta stuff

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2022, 07:37 AM   #130
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Congratulations in advance Fred
Very belated thanks my friend, sorry I missed this one, halfway into the wait now, bought an FPJ to hold me over :) still can’t wait.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 10 January 2022, 07:41 AM   #131
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueMR View Post
Its too early to say.
I am in my 30s and love sport watches over dressies.
But you have a 5370 in your avatar, so I don’t doubt there’s some level of appreciation there

Old 10 January 2022, 07:52 AM   #132
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

So the other day I had Mike Manjos on with his market update show on YouTube that I enjoy occasionally. As I was walking the dog with the phone in my pocket and the AirPods in, it auto played the next video - one with the ever hyperventilating Tim Mosso. Opened with 2022 will be the year of the dress watch, before I cut the video off (as well informed as he is, I find the guy is really hard to listen to for more than a minute). Hear hear, I thought. If you discount the Tiffany blue 5711, the EoY auctions also pointed this way.

Old 10 January 2022, 11:11 AM   #133
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Not sure that’s true, rarely seen as many gold say dates in one place as on crypto conferences, same is true for Genta stuff
Only you and I think day dates are "dress watches."

The rest of the non-watch collecting world thinks of them as sports watches. Including datejusts, oyster perpetuals, and every single watch created by or touched by Genta.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 07:57 AM   #134
francoamerican
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Photo of 5205P
This is my favorite modern patek right now. Absolute eff off watch but with no pretense that it's for "sports" or a medium to flash a bunch of precious metal and diamonds. The horological value scales reasonably with its market price.
francoamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:51 AM   #135
italiafan
"TRF" Member

It’s funny, I just finished binge watching Succession. Quite an array of gorgeous dress watches on different characters just casually imbedded in the scene. It is easy to get “influenced” by such subtle placement because it reinvigorated my lust for dress watches again. LOL
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2022, 12:56 AM   #136
Murcielagoboy2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by italiafan View Post
It’s funny, I just finished binge watching Succession. Quite an array of gorgeous dress watches on different characters just casually imbedded in the scene. It is easy to get “influenced” by such subtle placement because it reinvigorated my lust for dress watches again. LOL
You noticed too? Some nice VC's in there for sure!

(Fantastic series. Some of the best acting and screenplay I've ever seen.)
Murcielagoboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2022, 03:34 PM   #137
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

News today that Bank of America bumped pay of MD’s by 20% to base. Have to imagine that drives lots of work from office leverage and suit wearing and dress watches. I’m calling it now, dress watches back in vogue in 5 years. Assuming no nuclear apocalypse.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2022, 02:20 PM   #138
cardstock
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
As people move through their lives, their enjoyment and status symbols change. When we are 16 we would do anything for even a junk heap of a car. By the time we are 21, we are buying new albeit "kids" kind of cars. In the 30s we are buying more sophisticated vehicles that are either sportier or more luxury even if it has to be an SUV for the kids.

This quest to stand out or just enjoy something more special than the run of the mill is pretty common. It is just that more money and income takes a wile to develop for most in life. This is good as you need to look forward to things and not be rich kid with a brand new Vette at 16 years old.

I think this is natural and happens too many. Also in this equation is knowing something exists. If you don't know what exists, you buy what your friends have or you see and advertisement for. It is not until you have lunch at the country club that you notice that they are not wearing a Fitbit or such (nothing derogatory implied).

So knowledge and income are important.

We are exiting out of the most affordable watch market in decades. For the past couple of decades, the top 10% of the population could fairly easily buy Patek and other top brands. This increase in prices of some of these watches are restoring the way it used to be. A mid level Patek or a platinum Role was out of the hands of all but the top 1%. The market is moving back that way again.

Enjoy your collection as it will only get more difficult to get into the game.

Franc
cardstock is offline   Reply With Quote