The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 3 May 2021, 06:52 PM   #1
xeal
"TRF" Member

Why is the 26405CG Much pricier than the 26405CE?

Been toying with buying the ceramic offshore 26405CG.
I have access to one through a friend for $45K, which although doesn't seem crazy relative to the market, I am curious why the CE is alot cheaper in the grey.
I do prefer the look of the CG.

Photo from the net.
Would also appreciate owners opinions on the watch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ROO_26405CG-OO-A004CA-01_closeup_GP07_PR(CMYK).jpg (161.8 KB, 683 views)
xeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 07:01 PM   #2
Reign
"TRF" Member

I would snag it in a heart beat at that price.

The CG is quite rare and unintentionally a very limited production due to issues with cracking on the grey ceramic case. It’s why they switched to titanium in the recent models but retained the color scheme
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 07:07 PM   #3
xeal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
I would snag it in a heart beat at that price.

The CG is quite rare and unintentionally a very limited production due to issues with cracking on the grey ceramic case. It’s why they switched to titanium in the recent models but retained the color scheme
Hey. Thanks for the response!
Did not realize that it had issues. I've seen his watch, it's flawless and almost unworn from 2019.
I still see it in the catalogue however, so they must still be making it in full ceramic as well no?

Thank you for the encouragement! Aesthetically, it wins the other 26405s for me by afar.
Old 3 May 2021, 07:31 PM   #4
Uros
"TRF" Member

Yes production run very shortly...you have seen it in real life?

Black ceramic looks better especially under the sun versus grey one, at least that was my conclusion when I was deciding between CG and full black CE. CG is also better if you want change straps, not too many options for all black.

And finally you have similar model coming out in 43mm and full in house chrono (also cheaper), depending on your wrist size 43mm could be more suitable.

In any case you cant go wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 09:43 PM   #5
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeal View Post
Hey. Thanks for the response!
Did not realize that it had issues. I've seen his watch, it's flawless and almost unworn from 2019.
I still see it in the catalogue however, so they must still be making it in full ceramic as well no?
Ah, the catalogue. I was told by a boutique that the 26405CG was discontinued. It always takes time for pieces to disappear from the catalogue long after production has ceased.

Unusual CE color and short production = collectors (or speculators) choice. $45k seems like an ok price compared to typically asking prices, in particular if provenance is assured.

I thought the black CE looked much nicer, compared to the light/washed out grey of the CG (which looks nothing like the picture in your post, as you know). Strangely, I do like the Ti/grey bezel ROO, but would probably pick the new 43mm over 44mm.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 11:34 PM   #6
chaucer
"TRF" Member

I am a big fan of my 26405CG. I tried the 26405CE at the boutique, the black ceramic was too reflective for my taste. The gray ceramic looks dull in some photos, but I don’t think that is representative of its actually appearance. Even if a concern, it overall is brightened by the white gold markers. In terms of the price, the boutique told me (a couple years ago) that it was more difficult to obtain a gray ceramic than black ceramic piece, and I believe the new titanium case marked the end of the gray ceramic case. So probably just looking at a more limited supply.
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 11:43 PM   #7
chaucer
"TRF" Member

This is the strap from the rendering, I like the look for the summer but believe the rendering looks better than it does in person. Doesn’t quite match perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 30DA0128-1769-4336-9AA9-8DE3E2CD11F3.jpeg (178.6 KB, 613 views)
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 09:14 AM   #8
xeal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uros View Post
Yes production run very shortly...you have seen it in real life?

Black ceramic looks better especially under the sun versus grey one, at least that was my conclusion when I was deciding between CG and full black CE. CG is also better if you want change straps, not too many options for all black.

And finally you have similar model coming out in 43mm and full in house chrono (also cheaper), depending on your wrist size 43mm could be more suitable.

In any case you cant go wrong...

Thank you for the insight! I have tried it in person, and I found it to be extremely striking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Ah, the catalogue. I was told by a boutique that the 26405CG was discontinued. It always takes time for pieces to disappear from the catalogue long after production has ceased.

Unusual CE color and short production = collectors (or speculators) choice. $45k seems like an ok price compared to typically asking prices, in particular if provenance is assured.

I thought the black CE looked much nicer, compared to the light/washed out grey of the CG (which looks nothing like the picture in your post, as you know). Strangely, I do like the Ti/grey bezel ROO, but would probably pick the new 43mm over 44mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaucer View Post
I am a big fan of my 26405CG. I tried the 26405CE at the boutique, the black ceramic was too reflective for my taste. The gray ceramic looks dull in some photos, but I don’t think that is representative of its actually appearance. Even if a concern, it overall is brightened by the white gold markers. In terms of the price, the boutique told me (a couple years ago) that it was more difficult to obtain a gray ceramic than black ceramic piece, and I believe the new titanium case marked the end of the gray ceramic case. So probably just looking at a more limited supply.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaucer View Post
This is the strap from the rendering, I like the look for the summer but believe the rendering looks better than it does in person. Doesn’t quite match perfectly.
Gorgeous!
Thanks for the photo
Old 4 May 2021, 10:22 AM   #9
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
It always takes time for pieces to disappear from the catalogue long after production has ceased.
actually I heard that if it's still on the website and technically discontinued it means there are still some floating around the boutiques all over the world
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 10:55 AM   #10
xeal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
actually I heard that if it's still on the website and technically discontinued it means there are still some floating around the boutiques all over the world
Interesting! Maybe I should try to find out where rather than pay $45K for this one
I understand even these offshores are not as easy lately though
I don't mind losing money should I tire of it, but I definitely don't want to make a $5-10 grand loss.
Retail would be ideal, but I am sure it is unlikely.
Old 4 May 2021, 04:40 PM   #11
ragsk
Banned

I was thinking of offloading my 26405CE as i'm not wearing it at all and swapping it for one of the new offshores, but AP themselves advised me to keep it. Apparently they are getting more and more calls for it and think it might actually become a bit of a collectors item being the last full black ceramic offshore.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 11:05 AM   #12
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
I was thinking of offloading my 26405CE as i'm not wearing it at all and swapping it for one of the new offshores, but AP themselves advised me to keep it. Apparently they are getting more and more calls for it and think it might actually become a bit of a collectors item being the last full black ceramic offshore.
it's discontinued. really want one but not willing to pay crazy prices, should have pulled a trigger early last year around 30k grey pricing

EDIT I mean the black one https://www.audemarspiguet.com/com/e...A002CA.02.html
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 May 2021, 03:41 PM   #13
Uros
"TRF" Member

I wear mine full black ceramic over weekends etc. and really enjoy it...being scratch resistant is huge plus, all black has also great wrist presence but more discreet than colorful models...

Uros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 06:53 AM   #14
Agustin_Nielsen
"TRF" Member

I have the black ceramic 26405CE.02. It was my first AP, and I still love it so much. A truly incredible piece.
Agustin_Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 05:43 AM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Sold mine for a song lol I didn’t know it was rare nice piece