The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 16 July 2021, 10:57 AM   #1
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Breitling Chronomat B01 42 Ice-Blue Stainless Steel-Platinum

What do you guys think?

Nice watch IMO. Though it being a 42 + platinum + breitling watches' known height its not everyman's wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E6WO5IzXEAsQ1WH.jpg (161.3 KB, 1681 views)
philhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 11:24 AM   #2
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Already reached out to my AD for one
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 12:37 PM   #3
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
Unfortunately, this will be worth 50% of purchase price when you walk out the AD's door.
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2021, 01:28 PM   #4
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKizzy View Post
Unfortunately, this will be worth 50% of purchase price when you walk out the AD's door.
Like most of their watches really, which would also be the only nasty side taste of purchasing their watches. apart from that, I think it looks awesome. I wish it was a 40mm though, their 42+ watches are too large in my opinion.
Old 16 July 2021, 06:43 PM   #5
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
That chrono looks amazing.
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 01:05 AM   #6
wrxdev
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Omega
Will I get grilled if I call it the poor dude's platona?
wrxdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 10:18 AM   #7
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Looks awesome
Old 17 July 2021, 10:25 AM   #8
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Really like the dial colour / contrast!
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2021, 12:02 PM   #9
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdev View Post
considering there are plenty of peeps out there who have the money for a similar daytona model, but just can't or don't want to get their hands on one for various of reasons, its not 100% accurate. but we get what you mean
Old 17 July 2021, 10:59 PM   #10
karwath
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 white
The black rubber strap looks good, but I wish it would come on the rouleaux bracelet, this photoshop someone did looks great!

karwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 02:02 AM   #11
Melissaw1010
"TRF" Member

I’m in love with the ladies version and contacted my AD. I would want to be able to put a rouleaux bracelet on it but not sure if possible. Hate rubber straps and think esp with diamonds is too casual . My first Galactic with diamond bezel was new and learned about the major depreciation value quickly with Breitling and now try to purchase all mine pre owned. That color is so beautiful and if I wait not sure how many (and how long) it would take to find one in the pre owned market. Such a tough decision
Melissaw1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 05:45 AM   #12
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissaw1010 View Post
I’m in love with the ladies version and contacted my AD. I would want to be able to put a rouleaux bracelet on it but not sure if possible. Hate rubber straps and think esp with diamonds is too casual . My first Galactic with diamond bezel was new and learned about the major depreciation value quickly with Breitling and now try to purchase all mine pre owned. That color is so beautiful and if I wait not sure how many (and how long) it would take to find one in the pre owned market. Such a tough decision
This is the case with many other luxury brands and if you are a flipper then perhaps these brands are not for you. My AD typically allows me 25% off on Breitling, Omega, IWC and usually on some Tudor models and 20% on Cartier. This helps with the hit, but if I were to flip them then I would still take a bit of a loss in the market. The key is to get in at the best price you can and love it. Don't buy it as an investment.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 05:55 AM   #13
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Rolex does not own this color. Plenty of other watch makers use this color combo on a chrono to include AP. Also not many even Rolex owners know or have even seen a Platona so I doubt highly that is going to be the comments you are going to receive if you choose to buy and wear this Breitling.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 10:30 AM   #14
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissaw1010 View Post
I agree, sometimes the rubber strap is just comfortable as opposed to very nice looking. My superocean came with a rubber strap but I've changed it to a high polish breitling braclet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by train-time View Post
This is the case with many other luxury brands and if you are a flipper then perhaps these brands are not for you. My AD typically allows me 25% off on Breitling, Omega, IWC and usually on some Tudor models and 20% on Cartier. This helps with the hit, but if I were to flip them then I would still take a bit of a loss in the market. The key is to get in at the best price you can and love it. Don't buy it as an investment.
Got my first Breitling from a Breitling Shop and they gave me 15% I believe, still kind of pricey but I suppose as an official breitling store they can't go much lower than that. late I learned about their value depreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
Rolex does not own this color. Plenty of other watch makers use this color combo on a chrono to include AP. Also not many even Rolex owners know or have even seen a Platona so I doubt highly that is going to be the comments you are going to receive if you choose to buy and wear this Breitling.
IMO the only thing a rolex platona has going for itself is that it is a 40 (i suppose) and more people can pull it off. Breitlings tend to be heavy headded and quite large at 42. Aside from that, can't wait to check this one out at a local shop, I think it looks amazing and you'd get a lot of positive looks wearing this watch.
Old 18 July 2021, 08:14 PM   #15
karwath
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 white
Interesting that this color scheme harkens back to a prior Breitling Chronograph from the early 1970s, as noted by an expert on all things Breitling:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRa4pefL...dium=copy_link
karwath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 08:16 PM   #16
Melissaw1010
"TRF" Member

My AD told me yesterday that only a certain amount was made and their having a hard time possibly getting more than 1. So I will wait and see. I would also be curious how the dial looks in real lighting and if it appears much darker. I have this similar color on an Omega Speedmaster which is stunning but that watch looks a little masculine for me so I’m all about these diamonds :)
Melissaw1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2021, 08:29 PM   #17
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karwath View Post
Interesting that this color scheme harkens back to a prior Breitling Chronograph from the early 1970s, as noted by an expert on all things Breitling:

awesome find!!
Old 20 July 2021, 01:27 AM   #18
jnelson3097
"TRF" Member

Kern posted these on Linkedin, figured this thread needs some real life pics.

jnelson3097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 02:15 AM   #19
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
Digging that color .. I actually just ordered an Omega Speedmaster that color from AD ....
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 03:03 AM   #20
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
Digging that color .. I actually just ordered an Omega Speedmaster that color from AD ....

This one is awesome looking in real life...but small. I have smallerish wrists at 6.75, and the bracelet fit without removing links.

I’m digging this new breitling though and should get one from the ad within a few weeks...hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 03:41 AM   #21
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
I have 6.75 inch wrist as well. Anything over 40 begins looking big.
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 July 2021, 07:13 AM   #22
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well, you would have to explain what makes it “poor” compared to the Platona, other than not being ridiculously overhyped.
Old 20 July 2021, 07:13 AM   #23
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
This is sweet too
Old 23 July 2021, 12:02 AM   #24
DVR
"TRF" Member

Watch: Diver watches
Quote:

Breitling has used this ice blue dial a long time ago. So it is normal for Mr. Kern to bring it back. It's a strong color and the way they are going to bring the watches to market (limited production) is going to elevate the brand to a higher level all together. At least, that is what Mr. Kern is hoping. And so far he has done a tremendous job with the brand.

The ignorant will of course compare to Rolex but such is life.

My wrist, not my watch (yet) :

I had turned my back to Breitling but bit by bit I am becoming a fan. Bought my wife a beautiful Breitling just a few days ago.
Old 23 July 2021, 02:46 PM   #25
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVR View Post
Breitling has used this ice blue dial a long time ago. So it is normal for Mr. Kern to bring it back. It's a strong color and the way they are going to bring the watches to market (limited production) is going to elevate the brand to a higher level all together. At least, that is what Mr. Kern is hoping. And so far he has done a tremendous job with the brand.

The ignorant will of course compare to Rolex but such is life.

My wrist, not my watch (yet) :
It looks solid, very nice.

I'm thinking though, what kind of 'wear' it is. Is it an every day watch, or too elegant/previous because of the platinum? Its not quite "cheap" enough to bang it around like some other breitlings on here that are plain tool watches.
Old 24 July 2021, 07:13 AM   #26
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
AD just got this. Couldn’t resist.

Rolex: SD 116600 | Submariner 114060 | GMT 126710BLNR | GMT 116710LN | Explorer II 216570 | Explorer 214270

Other: Vacheron Constantin | Panerai | Omega | Grand Seiko | Breitling
bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 10:38 AM   #27
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

And here’s a slightly better pic.

Really impressed with this release. I was very tempted by the recent Chronomats, but the bracelet (as beautiful and comfortable as it is) makes it wear just a tad large for my liking on my wrist. That, coupled with lack of on-the-fly micro-adjustment, was just enough to hold me at bay. So when this beauty was released, I was hoping the rubber strap might make it feel a bit more svelte. And I was right. Not only does the watch wrap down around my wrist better than the bracelet, but it lightens the weight by quite a bit. Super comfy. And man, that dial…

Rolex: SD 116600 | Submariner 114060 | GMT 126710BLNR | GMT 116710LN | Explorer II 216570 | Explorer 214270

Old 24 July 2021, 10:44 AM   #28
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The black rubber strap looks good, but I wish it would come on the rouleaux bracelet…
Based on casual inspection while I was at the AD, I see no reason one couldn’t do a swap, provided the bracelet can be sourced separately. I might do this, just to be able to switch it up from time to time.

Old 24 July 2021, 10:48 AM   #29
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That is a low blow to the Daytona! Shouldn’t even mentioned in the same breath, thread, etc.!
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2021, 11:12 AM   #30
philhendrix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclaurin View Post
AD just got this. Couldn’t resist.

great look, congratulations!!

do you mind sharing a picture of the clasp? not sure what kind of strap clasp it is.