The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 20 December 2021, 02:18 AM   #1
IR201
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko SBGA463 vs SBGH291

I find it fascinating that Grand Seiko has both of these in its line up now.

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbga463g

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/collections/sbgh291g

I want one of them but am not sure which to go for.

I must say I'm not really a movement guy, so that's a non factor for me.

It's more a question of aesthetics and fit I guess. Do I want that reserve indicator on the dial? Probably not, so I guess point in favor of the 291. However the 291 is 0.7mm thicker, so I guess point in favor of the 463.

What do you guys think between the two? What do you think of GS having both? And of neither of them being that smaller GS diver many have been wanting.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 07:07 AM   #2
taura
"TRF" Member

It’s not uncommon for GS to have basically the same watch available with different movement options (see basic models in the other collections). Even though they’re titanium and surely comfortable, both watches will wear large unless you have > 20 cm wrists. If that bothers you, maybe wait to see what they’ll release next year. Personally I would like to see a 41mm version with the 5 day spring drive movement, in titanium. That might just happen one day, but GS being GS I’m sure they’d keep the power reserve on the dial, because divers are supposed to have closed casebacks. Oh well.
taura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 02:30 PM   #3
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taura View Post
It’s not uncommon for GS to have basically the same watch available with different movement options (see basic models in the other collections). Even though they’re titanium and surely comfortable, both watches will wear large unless you have > 20 cm wrists. If that bothers you, maybe wait to see what they’ll release next year. Personally I would like to see a 41mm version with the 5 day spring drive movement, in titanium. That might just happen one day, but GS being GS I’m sure they’d keep the power reserve on the dial, because divers are supposed to have closed casebacks. Oh well.
Hi thanks for the reply! It was crickets in here lol. I've actually owned the 231 in the past and enjoyed it. I really liked the size. Only issue is I found the clasp a bit rattly, and never loved the power reserve. I wonder if they've fixed the clasp in these new pieces. Probably not.
Old 21 December 2021, 04:27 PM   #4
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
If movement is irrelevant to you than I would go for the Hi Beat.

The dial is much more pleasing to look at imho
Old 21 December 2021, 05:05 PM   #5
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Big GS fan here - new and vintage - but I'd get a Turtle, Willard, Tuna Pro or 62MAS-type reissue before a GS diver.
Old 21 December 2021, 05:26 PM   #6
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

SBGA463 for the Spring Drive. I love that movement plus I think it’s a cool contrast between the smooth zen-like swoop and the technical capabilities of a diver. It’s also a little bit thinner.

Also for the date window, which seems a tad wider, allowing for a better (IMHO) font (look at the differences in the “6” between the two models). I admit I haven’t handled these in real life, so maybe the font difference isn’t as dramatic as in the photos.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2021, 09:29 PM   #7
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
463 for me, I’m a “new” tragic GS and Seiko fan, spring drive really really really is pretty cool.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 03:15 PM   #8
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
If movement is irrelevant to you than I would go for the Hi Beat.

The dial is much more pleasing to look at imho
Yeah, this is what I am leaning. Right now it is competing against a few others for my next piece.
Old 22 December 2021, 03:17 PM   #9
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
SBGA463 for the Spring Drive. I love that movement plus I think it’s a cool contrast between the smooth zen-like swoop and the technical capabilities of a diver. It’s also a little bit thinner.

Also for the date window, which seems a tad wider, allowing for a better (IMHO) font (look at the differences in the “6” between the two models). I admit I haven’t handled these in real life, so maybe the font difference isn’t as dramatic as in the photos.
Interesting point - do you think the 463 also has smaller indices, from what you can see?
Old 22 December 2021, 03:20 PM   #10
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Big GS fan here - new and vintage - but I'd get a Turtle, Willard, Tuna Pro or 62MAS-type reissue before a GS diver.
I see where you're coming from. I've got an SLA037 already but I always consider it for the chopping block. Not sure why. My dream Seiko would be the Nemo Turtle dial in different case, but I've yet to figure out which one!