The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 December 2021, 04:02 PM   #1
Malren
"TRF" Member

Buying just to flip

Let’s say you walk into a boutique and see there is a “hot” or semi “hot” piece available for purchase. However you currently aren’t looking for a new purchase for yourself or you don’t even like the piece, but the premium difference at going grey is obvious. Would you purchase it just to immediately flip? Or is that a big no no that will potentially harm the relationship with the boutique? (although not sure how fast or if at all they will figure it out and it might even strength the relationship as you did make a purchase at the end of the day).

What are your thoughts?
Malren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 04:41 PM   #2
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain...

I'd leave it for someone who wants it
Polar Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 05:23 PM   #3
illiguy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain...

I'd leave it for someone who wants it
With power comes great responsibility.
illiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 05:30 PM   #4
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

If it’s a boutique i plan on working with, i wouldn’t buy it to flip.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 05:53 PM   #5
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
i hate people who buy to flip, i firmly believe that you should only buy if you actually want to own it, otherwise you should leave it available for the next person who wants to own it can have the opportunity to buy.

so no, i would definitely not buy just to flip it.
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 06:22 PM   #6
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
i hate people who buy to flip, i firmly believe that you should only buy if you actually want to own it, otherwise you should leave it available for the next person who wants to own it can have the opportunity to buy.

This, 100%.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 07:15 PM   #7
nollie85
Banned

If you don't buy it someone else will buy it to flip. Leaving it for someone else there is 0 guarantee that person is also not a flipper and these days 99% of buyers are flippers.

This is the reality of the market currently.
nollie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 07:19 PM   #8
Malren
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nollie85 View Post
If you don't buy it someone else will buy it to flip. Leaving it for someone else there is 0 guarantee that person is also not a flipper and these days 99% of buyers are flippers.

This is what led me to the question! Great point
Old 23 December 2021, 07:35 PM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
PayPal me $30 and I will give you an answer.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 07:38 PM   #10
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

I would. I understand some would hate me for it, but that is the state of play and I can use the cash to pour into other watches I am interested in. After all, it just a commodity, like a car, a pen and a pot.
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 07:58 PM   #11
ukbbc
"TRF" Member

My wife and I walked away from a black ceramic and a some of the 2021 APROOs, waiting for the colour that I wanted.

Kicking ourselves for not taking the black ceramic…wouldn’t flip it so soon, but good to hold to see how far it would go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ukbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 08:31 PM   #12
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
With AP you will get banned the moment they find out you flipped it. The online registrations give it away.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 08:34 PM   #13
ShinyVenusaur
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15000ST Blue
Would you say no for an overpaid job? ;-)
ShinyVenusaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 08:46 PM   #14
Malren
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
With AP you will get banned the moment they find out you flipped it. The online registrations give it away.
Interesting!
Is that really the case? Would love to hear more opinions on this
Old 23 December 2021, 09:34 PM   #15
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I would buy it and flip it in an instant. Whether or not the boutique would offer you another watch is questionable under any circumstances and, chances are, your SA and the boutique manager will have moved on to other jobs soon, so memories are short and black lists get scrubbed clean.
The question itself is a fantasy since there are no hot or semi hot models lying around in boutique cases.
Under no circumstance would I leave it there for some mythical "deserving buyer". If I felt guilty about committing some economic crime I would donate my profit to a
local food bank where there are "deserving" people, not just some other schmuck who wants his 10th watch.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 09:38 PM   #16
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:

This right here. Buy it, flip it on the down low and use that extra $$ to fund something you really want. All these self righteous folks that are saying don’t flip would all sell their current collection at “market value” in a heart beat. Watches aren’t charity. If you are lucky enough to just walk in and find a watch trading much higher, consider yourself just that, lucky.

Buy with no remorse.

PS if I ever get the call on the white face Daytona from my AD you can bet it will be for sale the next day. I wanted one but not as these current market prices. I will make the dough. However because of karma I will probably never get the call.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 12:26 AM   #17
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
All these self righteous folks that are saying don’t flip would all sell their current collection at “market value” in a heart beat.
That doesn't make any sense. Easy to see that many here are holding on to their collections regardless of market value.

Currently, the premise of a hot piece sitting in a boutique waiting for a random flipper is laughable.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 12:38 AM   #18
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
That doesn't make any sense. Easy to see that many here are holding on to their collections regardless of market value.

Currently, the premise of a hot piece sitting in a boutique waiting for a random flipper is laughable.
Makes plenty of sense. Many folks telling him to not buy and flip and pass along to the next person are also the same examples on here of those same (maybe not the specific ones that replied) that buy and after a few days are selling because the watch "didn't speak to them" and guess what they are selling at "market value" not the MSRP what they paid for it.

And your second point, agreed. Hot models aren't sitting waiting in the case. However if there were then the OP should absolutely buy it and flip it. Apparently just put it on your wrist and then take it off and sell because it didn't speak to you.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 12:59 AM   #19
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
You're right in that the online registrations give it away. My SA knew that I had sold one of my watches. Granted, it was a watch I'd purchased ~5 years prior from another SA, but he still acknowledged that he knew from their system records. I sort of interpreted the comment as a warning.

IMHO buying something off the shelf and flipping it isn't a big deal. It was there and the opportunity presented itself. I wouldn't personally go through the hassle, but to each their own.

Now what I can't stand are customers who plead with their SA to get an allocation claiming it's their "dream watch, ultimate holy grail" only to flip it for a profit. That's disingenuous and puts your SA -- who likely had to vet and vouch for you -- on the line.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 01:04 AM   #20
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
Quote:

So by your logic, don't buy a house for rental income. Leave it for someone who will purchase it to live in.
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 01:07 AM   #21
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:

I agree. I can’t stand seeing people gobble up items from stores only to resell at crazy prices.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 01:37 AM   #22
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malren View Post
Interesting!
Is that really the case? Would love to hear more opinions on this
Yes, once you're flagged, you're done. You'll never get another piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
I would buy it and flip it in an instant. Whether or not the boutique would offer you another watch is questionable under any circumstances and, chances are, your SA and the boutique manager will have moved on to other jobs soon, so memories are short and black lists get scrubbed clean.
It doesn't work that way. The CRM doesn't forget, once you're flagged, you're done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexest View Post
So by your logic, don't buy a house for rental income. Leave it for someone who will purchase it to live in.
If you only care about making money and have no desire to have a relationship with the brand, then flip it.
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 01:51 AM   #23
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:

while this is true i still believe in treat others how you wanna be treated, hopefully the person who ends up getting it after i decline to buy is someone who actually wants the watch, just as i’d hope if someone else is offered a watch i want and they don’t they’d say no so i have a chance to get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli View Post
I agree. I can’t stand seeing people gobble up items from stores only to resell at crazy prices.

exactly, i find it very annoying that you can’t buy things at the store but you can easily find lots of brand new ones sold by resellers at ridiculous markups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexest View Post

that’s different in my mind, rental income is something you’ll keep getting every month and you still own the house. flipping a watch will get you a couple grand (or more depending on what you’re selling) once.
plus i guess it’s just a different way of thinking about watches, i don’t really think of them as investments they’re just watches, altho i guess with the current market like it or not they kinda are investments…
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 02:16 AM   #24
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Many folks telling him to not buy and flip and pass along to the next person are also the same examples on here of those same (maybe not the specific ones that replied) that buy and after a few days are selling because the watch "didn't speak to them" and guess what they are selling at "market value" not the MSRP what they paid for it.
So, who of Hpozzuoli, SoylentGreenChi, mnl, illiguy, m3jasper (or myself) are the "same examples" you are referring to?
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 02:27 AM   #25
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
In this world we’re in, I say you do you.

I personally don’t like the “buying to flip” attitude and I would never blatantly flip something I received from a boutique or AD I actually wanted to work with.

You have a very high risk of getting caught and blacklisted, but don’t for a second think the AD/boutique gives two squats about a you as a new customer.

Why don’t you simply give it some time? Watch prices aren’t crashing in 2022 unless there is some sort of cataclysmic event (which is of course possible). Buy it and wait a few months. You’d likely be fine taking this approach unless it’s something you’ve clearly stated an interest in and you worked with them to actually get an allocation. If you flip/sell a watch you worked to get and stated an interest in, I have some select words for the type of person you are. LOL :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24 December 2021, 02:45 AM   #26
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I will skip and let the next person have it. Hopefully I'll get the watch that I really want from the SE.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 03:30 AM   #27
bmaier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14790ba
Quote:
Makes plenty of sense. Many folks telling him to not buy and flip and pass along to the next person are also the same examples on here of those same (maybe not the specific ones that replied) that buy and after a few days are selling because the watch "didn't speak to them" and guess what they are selling at "market value" not the MSRP what they paid for it.

And your second point, agreed. Hot models aren't sitting waiting in the case. However if there were then the OP should absolutely buy it and flip it. Apparently just put it on your wrist and then take it off and sell because it didn't speak to you.
You are making so many assumptions and blanket statements about collectors its actually comical. This buyer profile you seem to have pulled out of nowhere sounds like a self report.
bmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 03:32 AM   #28
bmaier
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14790ba
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
In this world we’re in, I say you do you.

I personally don’t like the “buying to flip” attitude and I would never blatantly flip something I received from a boutique or AD I actually wanted to work with.

You have a very high risk of getting caught and blacklisted, but don’t for a second think the AD/boutique gives two squats about a you as a new customer.

Why don’t you simply give it some time? Watch prices aren’t crashing in 2022 unless there is some sort of cataclysmic event (which is of course possible). Buy it and wait a few months. You’d likely be fine taking this approach unless it’s something you’ve clearly stated an interest in and you worked with them to actually get an allocation. If you flip/sell a watch you worked to get and stated an interest in, I have some select words for the type of person you are. LOL :-)

We're "in this world" because of people, like you, that advise others to flip watches for money. Yall are to blame.
bmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 December 2021, 03:41 AM   #29
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaier View Post
We're "in this world" because of people, like you, that advise others to flip watches for money. Yall are to blame.

OK buddy…Maybe all of those that are watching these forums can send me a cut since I have this power I wasn’t aware that I have to encourage all of this “flipping”…

In your next useless comment, can you share stories of the days of yore when all of you “honorable collectors” were all gathered around the table and you respected this wonderful world of horology for the lovely hobby it was? What a day it was…when you lost 50% of the price you paid for a watch. Enlighten us, oh chosen one!!!

Old 24 December 2021, 03:43 AM   #30
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaier View Post
I think you need to understand Chiscott_29 more before you judge him. Truth is there is money on the table for the taking. I don't condone it, but if someone else does it, its their choice. It's up to AD/Boutiques to do their due diligence and blacklist these people. Unless we want to start imposing North Korean dictatorial style behaviour whereby we control what people do with their watches and money, the market is a free place.
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote