The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 11 January 2022, 09:19 AM   #31
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
If the opportunity to buy it at retail presented, I would jump at the 321.

And, I already own an early 1970s Moonwatch and a "First Omega in Space" Speedmaster.
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 09:27 AM   #32
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
Well it’s easier to wind than the moonwatch as you can get a good hold of the crown. It also has a smoothness about it that the regular watch doesn’t have. It’s like you are playing a violin at expert level as opposed to Intermediate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the insight!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 11:38 AM   #33
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
Why? NASA flight qualified, sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel - could be argued it’s as durable or more durable than the modern hesalite versions with aluminum bezels.

I found the beat per hour to be low. Making the watch run not smoothly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 12:47 PM   #34
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
For me, if I was going 321, it would be Vintage and I would also have the 1861 version as well. I don't see the new model as the "mood watch" as it simply has not logged much if any time in space other than whatever Bizos was doing with it.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 12:58 PM   #35
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
For me, if I was going 321, it would be Vintage and I would also have the 1861 version as well. I don't see the new model as the "mood watch" as it simply has not logged much if any time in space other than whatever Bizos was doing with it.
I’ve often wondered if there’s a way to turn an old 321 into a display back. Also it’s rare to find an old one with a half decent bracelet (or any bracelet), and I wouldn’t want an aftermarket one for such a watch.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 03:03 PM   #36
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
I’ve often wondered if there’s a way to turn an old 321 into a display back. Also it’s rare to find an old one with a half decent bracelet (or any bracelet), and I wouldn’t want an aftermarket one for such a watch.
Yes you can!

https://www.spiralwinderwatchparts.c...ga-speedmaster

I got this for my FOIS to reduce the case thickness. The display caseback is an added bonus. Only caveat is on the older models you'll need to be careful not to strip the threading on the caseback. It's less of an issue for newer models.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 09:48 PM   #37
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

Indeed. Even some of the most intact older bracelets don’t inspire a whole lot of confidence lol.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2022, 09:50 PM   #38
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoricSpiker View Post
Well it’s easier to wind than the moonwatch as you can get a good hold of the crown. It also has a smoothness about it that the regular watch doesn’t have. It’s like you are playing a violin at expert level as opposed to Intermediate.

Thanks, now I want one even more
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 02:14 AM   #39
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Yes you can!

https://www.spiralwinderwatchparts.c...ga-speedmaster

I got this for my FOIS to reduce the case thickness. The display caseback is an added bonus. Only caveat is on the older models you'll need to be careful not to strip the threading on the caseback. It's less of an issue for newer models.
Cool, thanks! Are all display backs thinner, like an OEM 1863 will be thinner than an 1861? Also isn’t there a magnetic cover for the 1861 movements?

Would be cool to do this to an old 321, though from what I’ve read it seems like getting a vintage 321 in good condition is tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Indeed. Even some of the most intact older bracelets don’t inspire a whole lot of confidence lol.

Maybe that was an undisclosed fail point for NASA testing, and why NASA decided a piece of Velcro would be superior as standard issue even while inside the space ship lol.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 02:57 AM   #40
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Cool, thanks! Are all display backs thinner, like an OEM 1863 will be thinner than an 1861? Also isn’t there a magnetic cover for the 1861 movements?

Would be cool to do this to an old 321, though from what I’ve read it seems like getting a vintage 321 in good condition is tough.
I'm not too sure if all display casebacks are thinner but that's been the case with most Speedmasters. When I did my swap on the FOIS, there was a magnetic cover in my FOIS so I'm guessing the 861/1861 all have the mangetic cover. I don't know about the 321 Speedmasters though.

I heard that when this company first launched the display caseback, it actually made the watch thicker. They released this version of the display caseback not too long ago shaving off over 1mm over an OEM. Once I saw several people on Omegaforums post pictures I made the plunge.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 03:22 AM   #41
alexlt730512
"TRF" Member

I'd go for 321 for sure if this case. it's such a rare piece than daytona.
alexlt730512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 03:54 AM   #42
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
The 321 discussion is more about personal opinion and watch specifics than about is it worth it. As the owner of the 1861 and 3861 Speedmasters it is not worth it to me. The price difference for the nuances of the 321 do not justify the price difference and I like the other models better. I have the funds to buy a 321 but would not, even if I could get it at retail. The person that buys a 321 to keep and wear is a true collector and has a deep appreciation of the history of the movement and watch. Others are speculating on price and the ability to flip and make some cash at some point. No problem where you fall out, just decide. If you are looking to speculate though I would pickup a few Tokyo 2020 Speedmasters and Seamasters, True LE's and the prices are getting strong on them. Good luck.
Thoroughly agree with everything said here. I do believe the 321 is something special, but moreso for those who are really invested in the Speedmaster history. I only own an 1861 Speedmaster Professional and I love it more and more every day. I typically avoid redundancy in my collection, but I am starting to completely understand why people get into the nuance of the different Speedmaster offerings. That said, that understanding really comes from a place of romance rather than speculation.

I think the Omega Speedmaster is still the best dollar for dollar value on the market, but I don't feel that any Speedmaster in stainless steel should command five digits.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 08:00 AM   #43
amanbra
"TRF" Member

I have both the black Daytona and the 321, I hold the 321 in a much higher regard, it took me over a year to adjust the bracelet and start wearing it unlike the Daytona which i wore out of the AD.

As for value OP I’m pretty sure you’re not going to lose money on it should you fall out of love with it but i genuinely find it hard to believe you will. Anyone that’s actually held the watch in their hands will tell you there is immediately something about it. For me handling me normal 1863 speedy to the 321 it felt like going for 1080p to 4K in terms on detail. It’s a special thing.

If you love watches, chrono’s, speedies, I can’t see how this will be a mistake. If you just want to make money Rolex is prob a better bet? This one is a real watch lovers watch.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 12:33 PM   #44
troways
"TRF" Member

It is a no-brianer
troways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 12:51 PM   #45
samarth1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: VC Cornes de Vache
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel23456 View Post
Hey folks,

I am seriously considering selling my Rolex Sea dweller 16660 to finance a 321 Ed White. I was in contact with my gal at the Omega boutique and she told me that she will call me with the next one that comes. She said that it can take a few months. During that time, I can comfortably sell my Sea-Dweller.

My question to you folks, I am not buying this to sell and become a millionaire, but I do want to know that it will keep it's value in case I want to sell down the road. From my understanding, it will do just fine, don't you think?

The other thing, do you think that it is really worth the price tag? Do you get what you pay for?

Will appreciate your response.

Thank you
As someone who just received my Ed White 321 this past week, I feel equipped to answer this one. There's a certain amount of romanticism involved in choosing a Speedmaster 321 as opposed to the new 3861 or the older 1861. It's not a watch that you buy to then sell for a profit, but rather buy as a fan of the history and legacy of an iconic watch. You need to appreciate the fact that Omega brought the 321 back from dead to pay the ultimate tribute to its legacy. It's this aspect, and the limited production of the 321 that makes it command the premium, and hold a special place in the history of Speedmasters. Omega did right by the fans and didn't do anything to take away from the experience, but essentially reissued a watch from 1965 with a display caseback, ceramic bezel, and sapphire crystals.

For me, this is the one and only Speedmaster I'll ever buy, and it's in essence the purest form with the 321 calibre in it. Buy it for the right reasons I say, and you'll enjoy it more. It's a special watch!

samarth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 01:20 PM   #46
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I would argue that the Speedmaster 321 is better than anything Rolex makes. It also has a really great bracelet compared to regular Omega Speedmasters. That written, I would probably keep your Rolex, at least for a while, and add the 321, as they fulfill different roles. I don't think the 321 is going to make you a ton of cash but you certainly won't lose any money on it. Buy it because you love it and you appreciate it.

In the states, the 321 a very difficult piece to obtain so if your dealer can get you one, buying it is a no-brainer.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 08:54 AM   #47
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
I would argue that the Speedmaster 321 is better than anything Rolex makes. It also has a really great bracelet compared to regular Omega Speedmasters. That written, I would probably keep your Rolex, at least for a while, and add the 321, as they fulfill different roles. I don't think the 321 is going to make you a ton of cash but you certainly won't lose any money on it. Buy it because you love it and you appreciate it.

In the states, the 321 a very difficult piece to obtain so if your dealer can get you one, buying it is a no-brainer.
I couldn’t speak for the Rolex comment, but I am lucky enough to own a snoopy and a 321. I can tell you for sure, the 321 is streets ahead. Yes, the 3861 movement is more accurate, but in all other respects the 321 has it licked IMO.

The 321 is a beautifully finished piece of jewellery. It pops on the wrist like nothing else I have worn previously. The snoopy is lovely, but you can for sure see the difference when you put them together.

Personally, I think the grey prices on these are the wrong way round. The snoopy is a lovely watch, but it’s probably not a long term one for many. The 321 will stand the test of time. Indeed, if it had a little more water resistance, I could see it as a one and done. It’s really that good. There’s something about it that needs to be experienced and I can’t quite explain what it is.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 01:52 PM   #48
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel23456 View Post
...do you think that it is really worth the price tag? Do you get what you pay for?
Yes.

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 05:36 AM   #49
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
I just picked up the 321 yesterday and it is absolutely brilliant - just love it. I will upload some pics later this weekend when I get chance to take some decent ones.

Also, for awareness, Omega have a price increase on 1st February (in the UK at least)
Old 15 January 2022, 05:44 AM   #50
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Great photos in this thread, it is a hidden jewel!
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 05:55 AM   #51
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
Yes.

Your pictures are always so great
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 06:09 AM   #52
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose 104 View Post
I just picked up the 321 yesterday and it is absolutely brilliant - just love it. I will upload some pics later this weekend when I get chance to take some decent ones.

Also, for awareness, Omega have a price increase on 1st February (in the UK at least)
Congrats on the Ed white. It’s a brilliant watch.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 08:50 AM   #53
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
The 321 is immensely more special than the SD, and I’m a Rolex fanboy. I’d love to add the 321 to my collection someday; and have come close twice recently! But they’ve sold!

RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 08:50 AM   #54
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
I'm currently on the list with two Omega ADs. The more I research the 321 the more I want it. I think its a good trade for the SD. Hope this helps and good luck!
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 10:05 AM   #55
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanO View Post
The 321 is immensely more special than the SD, and I’m a Rolex fanboy. I’d love to add the 321 to my collection someday; and have come close twice recently! But they’ve sold!

I agree that having a Speedy with a 321 movement is desirable and significant for fans. That said I think they messed up the rest of the watch and I would never trade my Sea Dweller.
I think it’s another thing I may have to look for in the vintage market one day.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 10:48 AM   #56
mhsvz39
"TRF" Member

What is the Omega reference number for the Ed White?

Edit: I think I found it: 311.30. 40.30. 01.001
mhsvz39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 01:45 PM   #57
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Personally, I think the grey prices on these are the wrong way round. The snoopy is a lovely watch, but it’s probably not a long term one for many. The 321 will stand the test of time. Indeed, if it had a little more water resistance, I could see it as a one and done. It’s really that good. There’s something about it that needs to be experienced and I can’t quite explain what it is.
I totally agree with this. The Snoopy is a fun watch to look at and play with from time to time. The Ed White is a superb watch to wear. A decade from now I think we could, or at least should, see these prices reversed.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 January 2022, 11:52 PM   #58
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Quote:

Congratulations.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2022, 12:51 AM   #59
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Congrats on the Ed white. It’s a brilliant watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Congratulations.
Thanks both - I haven't had time to get my proper camera out but here are a some quick smartphone shots - I love it!
Old 16 January 2022, 02:34 AM   #60
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks both - I haven't had time to get my proper camera out but here are a some quick smartphone shots - I love it!
Love the pictures, congrats!
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote