The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 January 2022, 08:40 AM   #1
CAWatchLove
Banned

Wait time & chances for an Openworked?

Hi all,
I have been an AP fan since 2018 and I buy from boutiques directly. I have purchased a few watches now, offshore and a couple of Royal oaks.

My question is to Royal Oak 41m openworked Owners.

How long did it take you to get one from AP?
Was there a purchase history criteria to get one?
Anything else I need to know about getting one of these from AP? Criteria and expectation wise
CAWatchLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 08:51 AM   #2
Zazzles
"TRF" Member

Also interested in chances at a 37mm gold example. 15467or
Zazzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 09:25 AM   #3
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWatchLove View Post
Hi all,
I have been an AP fan since 2018 and I buy from boutiques directly. I have purchased a few watches now, offshore and a couple of Royal oaks.

Anything else I need to know about getting one of these from AP? Criteria and expectation wise
cant help you with a realistic timeframe but what did AP say when you asked them ?
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 11:09 AM   #4
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Whatever it ends up being ... it's worth the wait:

Old 12 January 2022, 11:50 AM   #5
7sins
"TRF" Member

You will need a significant purchase history with AP to be even considered along with the right relationships with the boutique manager and AP corporate. Even then it would be a very long wait, wether it comes to fruition or not unfortunately.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 11:52 AM   #6
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all,

In a very similar boat as you. Boutique told me they will do their best. Time will tell. An interesting question to those in the know would be whether a 15407 rises to the level of pieces requiring approval from Le Brassus?
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 12:12 PM   #7
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
In a very similar boat as you. Boutique told me they will do their best. Time will tell. An interesting question to those in the know would be whether a 15407 rises to the level of pieces requiring approval from Le Brassus?

If you have the right profile and the boutique likes you, they’ll submit ask corporate for approval.

Once it gets to corporate though, it becomes a total black box and mostly out of the hands of your SA / boutique.

My understanding from 2 years ago was that AP made about 800 3132 movements, but this was spread across less double balance references back then compared to today. There were only 4 people in their factory that made these movements since there’s a ton more hand work than other movements. All these numbers may have changed upwards but it’s still not much given the demand
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 January 2022, 03:08 PM   #8
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazzles View Post
Also interested in chances at a 37mm gold example. 15467or
Bad timing to get those right now, My wife picked up 15466BC in the showcase and there was a 15467OR in the case as well in June 2020.
kimwizzzuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 12:03 AM   #9
lusfort
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi all,

Given you already have a history, just have a Frank and open conversation with your SA and they will give you a good idea if it’s possible at all / or distance to get there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lusfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 12:50 AM   #10
JF100
"TRF" Member

I'd say pay grey buddy and move on. Sorry i know thats not what you want to hear but its the reality.
JF100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 01:41 AM   #11
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Last time I talked to AP about the 15407 they quoted some ridiculous demand, so crazy I can't even remember precisely, but something in the realm of decades.

That said, AP don't operate a waiting list, honestly they don't, anyone that says different is simply repeating hearsay. So, in the right circumstances, to the right person and at the right time then allocations are possible. However, how to fulfil that magical set of circumstances is up to you alone to discover as it's entirely specific to you.

Good luck.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 03:10 AM   #12
GS93108
"TRF" Member

I just took a look at C24, WTF!! 15407's are £150k+ GBP, the world has gone insane. I knew prices were crazy but that is crazy to the power of crazy.

I've had my head in the sand for far too long and that's where I'm going to retreat back to. It's time to consider an Apple Watch.
Old 13 January 2022, 03:21 AM   #13
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
I just took a look at C24, WTF!! 15407's are £150k+ GBP, the world has gone insane. I knew prices were crazy but that is crazy to the power of crazy.

I've had my head in the sand for far too long and that's where I'm going to retreat back to. It's time to consider an Apple Watch.
I will confess that I actually like the Mickey (black and white), ‘Pepsi’ red blue, and world time watch faces quite a bit.

I will also confess if AP created a licensed watch face with a video of tourbillion moving in real time, I’d probably also like that watch face. Lol.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 04:30 AM   #14
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF100 View Post
I'd say pay grey buddy and move on. Sorry i know thats not what you want to hear but its the reality.
Wondering at what net worth I would consider spending $220k for a 15407 (and not feel stupid). All I know is I'm not there yet
Old 13 January 2022, 04:53 AM   #15
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
I've been asking and wanting a 15407 for quite a while and seems I'm not much closer to getting it from the boutique than I was a couple years ago with only a handful of pieces under my history belt.
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 05:16 AM   #16
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wondering at what net worth I would consider spending $220k for a 15407 (and not feel stupid). All I know is I'm not there yet
And that's the problem. Insane values.

When I lived in LA I wore an AP ROO Tourb every day and I didn't really give too much thought to its value. Today though my $ tolerance level is much lower mainly due to the risk of being mugged, it's not the loss of the watch or $$'s, it's the actual risk of physical harm. That's why I liked AP, not everyone knew what they were, but today that's not the case. It's a shame to say that I now never wear an AP into London, even to visit with AP. I really may buy myself an Apple Watch.

My wife has a watch coming, a special one, one that she knows she'll only wear a few times a year, and thus she doesn't care so much about the value or risk, but I like to actually wear my watches.

The fun times are behind us I think. Now it's wear your watch, make sure it can't be seen, look over your shoulder and hope no one notices. How perverse.
Old 13 January 2022, 05:28 AM   #17
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And that's the problem. Insane values.

When I lived in LA I wore an AP ROO Tourb every day and I didn't really give too much thought to its value. Today though my $ tolerance level is much lower mainly due to the risk of being mugged, it's not the loss of the watch or $$'s, it's the actual risk of physical harm. That's why I liked AP, not everyone knew what they were, but today that's not the case. It's a shame to say that I now never wear an AP into London, even to visit with AP. I really may buy myself an Apple Watch.

My wife has a watch coming, a special one, one that she knows she'll only wear a few times a year, and thus she doesn't care so much about the value or risk, but I like to actually wear my watches.

The fun times are behind us I think. Now it's wear your watch, make sure it can't be seen, look over your shoulder and hope no one notices. How perverse.
In LA it's a genuine concern, especially if you're wearing an RM. Even the NYC RM Boutique will tell you to be very careful in NYC!
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 06:08 AM   #18
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
In LA it's a genuine concern, especially if you're wearing an RM. Even the NYC RM Boutique will tell you to be very careful in NYC!
All the time I live in a little English seaside town where no-one cares then I'm at DEFCON 5/4, when I visit more urban areas then maybe DEFCON 3, DEFCON 2/1 areas don't exist for me, as I simply won't wear a watch.

I had no safety issues in LA, it's changed now of course. I bought my one and only RM there. I wish I'd bought more...particularly a skull version that I could have walked out of the store with. Those were the days.
Old 13 January 2022, 07:37 AM   #19
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
particularly a skull version that I could have walked out of the store with. Those were the days.
omg and I thought I was the one that passed on the most hot watches ever back in the days - turns out there is always someone else with a horror story :)
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 12:47 PM   #20
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
This is now a $100k+ premium, no chance getting one unless your important enough to AP to have had lunch with FHB I reckon!

supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 09:37 PM   #21
JF100
"TRF" Member

Quote:
reality is people been saying that since 100k
JF100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 03:57 PM   #22
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JF100 View Post
reality is people been saying that since 100k
Catch-22: When the premium was a more modest 20-30% up until mid-2020 it also seemed much more realistic to obtain one from a boutique, no desperate rush to go grey. Now that train has left the station, and with a 200% premium most will need or want to look for some other toy.
Old 17 January 2022, 02:59 AM   #23
robbonds
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROO
you have 100% chance of waiting forever...
Old 17 January 2022, 04:56 AM   #24
Zazzles
"TRF" Member

62 of them openly listed on chrono24, just of the 15407, let alone other openworked variants.
https://www.chrono24.com/search/inde...1&watchTypes=U

Most of them brand new or nearly new. Can't believe this many people would work so hard navigating these impossible hoops through AP only to blow up that relationship by flipping this piece.

Whole thing just feels like an elaborate illusion.
Zazzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 05:45 AM   #25
Jgives
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15500, Santos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazzles View Post
62 of them openly listed on chrono24, just of the 15407, let alone other openworked variants.
https://www.chrono24.com/search/inde...1&watchTypes=U

Most of them brand new or nearly new. Can't believe this many people would work so hard navigating these impossible hoops through AP only to blow up that relationship by flipping this piece.

Whole thing just feels like an elaborate illusion.
I question how many of those are actually in inventory…
Jgives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2022, 07:18 AM   #26
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgives View Post
I question how many of those are actually in inventory…
At least 2/3 of the ads only have the AP stock photo (although some go through the extra effort of cropping it), and a good fraction of the others are lying about the "new/unworn" status - at least it's hard to understand why a new watch needed a visit to the buffing wheel.
Old 17 January 2022, 08:31 AM   #27
Xerxes77
Banned

AP HQ will decide in the end… and I told and in another thread…. When AP look at your customer profile and you don’t have a CODE in history of purchase you’re chances down dramatically…. I am in this process and I can tell you this is a big problem
I write to some TRF an answer but they told me they are not force to buy anything else like CODE…. Maybe….
This is my experience and I am Boutique client from 2012… I can receive almost all pieces I want but with double balance it’s a problem because the approval is not from Boutique it’s from AP HQ who only look at your profile and are interested only in what you buy…. If you have only RO or ROC you will not received ever 15407…..you must have a CODE …. 2 CODES give you many chances……
Just my experience like I say….
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 02:57 AM   #28
lusfort
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
AP HQ will decide in the end… and I told and in another thread…. When AP look at your customer profile and you don’t have a CODE in history of purchase you’re chances down dramatically…. I am in this process and I can tell you this is a big problem
I write to some TRF an answer but they told me they are not force to buy anything else like CODE…. Maybe….
This is my experience and I am Boutique client from 2012… I can receive almost all pieces I want but with double balance it’s a problem because the approval is not from Boutique it’s from AP HQ who only look at your profile and are interested only in what you buy…. If you have only RO or ROC you will not received ever 15407…..you must have a CODE …. 2 CODES give you many chances……
Just my experience like I say….

Maybe try a ladies watch instead of a code?

lusfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2022, 05:01 AM   #29
altology
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
This is now a $100k+ premium, no chance getting one unless your important enough to AP to have had lunch with FHB I reckon!

How does one become important enough?
altology is offline   Reply With Quote