The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 13 January 2022, 07:31 AM   #31
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

I’m sorry, but I have to ask: are you not wearing your Rolex because you’re worried, or because you don’t want to?

If it’s the first, Rolex is properly pedestrian in our fair, metropolitan mega-city. I take the tube, walk and cycle all over London wearing PP, AP, Czapek, Lange and, yes, Rolex, as do millions of others. It isn’t an issue. At all. Ever.

If it’s the latter and you just want an excuse to buy a watch, be my guest.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 07:33 AM   #32
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel019 View Post
Speaking of the O P’s London trip I’m headed to Paris in a few weeks. Wonder if I should do the same. Already made up my mind I’m not wearing something in full PM but maybe shouldn’t wear anything.

Not trying to jump on “is it safe” type of thoughts but I don’t think you can ever go wrong trying that approach especially in this current climate. Yes I’m aware of the typical pay attention to your surroundings etc and I’ve travelled many times to many places but this will be first across the pond per se
You’re worried about Paris?!?!? Please understand me when I say that everyone in Paris will be better dressed than you, and most will have a nicer watch. And they’ll be walking and taking the Metro.

Where do Americans get all these ridiculous ideas of what Europe’s like? Lay off the Fox News.
Old 13 January 2022, 07:46 AM   #33
Theothergreg
"TRF" Member

Watch: this and that
I am a big fan of Sinn in your price range.

https://www.sinn.de/en/Sinn-Spezialuhren.htm
Theothergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 09:44 AM   #34
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Speaking of the O P’s London trip I’m headed to Paris in a few weeks. Wonder if I should do the same. Already made up my mind I’m not wearing something in full PM but maybe shouldn’t wear anything.
For what it's worth, spent a week in Paris for the new year and wore my RG RM 72-01 the entire time.

No issues.
Old 13 January 2022, 09:44 AM   #35
samuel019
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
You’re worried about Paris?!?!? Please understand me when I say that everyone in Paris will be better dressed than you, and most will have a nicer watch. And they’ll be walking and taking the Metro.

Where do Americans get all these ridiculous ideas of what Europe’s like? Lay off the Fox News.
Well I definitely didnt mean any offense to anyone from Paris. Or you for that matter. Guess I will rock my 326935 or 126715 especially since I'd like to know the time back home in America. Cant speak to my dress code though
Old 13 January 2022, 09:46 AM   #36
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Always been my experience.
Old 13 January 2022, 09:56 AM   #37
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well I definitely didnt mean any offense to anyone from Paris. Or you for that matter. Guess I will rock my 326935 or 126715 especially since I'd like to know the time back home in America. Cant speak to my dress code though
I’m not from Paris (Londoner), but I have lived there and in the South of France.

No offence intended or taken. I simply find these views about major European cities - seemingly unique to Americans in America - absolutely bizarre.

Rock your watches in good health, and have a great time!
Old 13 January 2022, 11:47 AM   #38
samuel019

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
For what it's worth, spent a week in Paris for the new year and wore my RG RM 72-01 the entire time.

No issues.
Good to know. Appreciate the heads up. Gonna be a long flight so I might wear something in SS instead. Thinking 216570 but who knows.

Quote:
I’m not from Paris (Londoner), but I have lived there and in the South of France.

No offence intended or taken. I simply find these views about major European cities - seemingly unique to Americans in America - absolutely bizarre.

Rock your watches in good health, and have a great time!
Thank you. Will do and I’m hoping so. Gonna try to pop in a few A D’s but I’m sure my time will be better spent elsewhere. Damn sure would love to find a 116505/116515 but I’d imagine there’s a 1% chance at best.
Old 13 January 2022, 02:19 PM   #39
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:

Google “watch robberies in London”. Note the number of page results that are UK press reporting on robberies, especially violent robberies, during 2020 and 2021 in London. I get 3 pages before a single story about this comes up in the US, then links alternate between the US and London. While you’re counting see how many pages you have to go to find a story on this from Fox, I quit looking at 7 without finding one.

Maybe rethink the “American Ridiculousness” and Fox News comment. Why not ask these guys, for one example of many, why they are perpetuating such lies? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dge-Video.html

Or maybe there is a problem and until this phase abates it’s smart for people to think about not making themselves a target. Especially people traveling out of their home countries.

I’d love to not have to think about this. I live in Houston and it’s been a huge problem here, and yes I’ve taken steps not to be a target including not wearing my watches as much. But hiding my head in the sand and pretending this isn’t happening is beyond foolish.

Out of curiosity, I don’t watch Fox News much, I get news largely from business news channels. How much do you watch Fox to be an expert on their content? Or are you commenting on what you hear The BBC, CNN, etc say about Fox?
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 05:12 PM   #40
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

To put things in perspective, there are nearly 10 million people in London area; many of whom haven’t been robbed for their luxury watch.
As I said earlier, if you’re worried wear a digital watch.
Old 13 January 2022, 05:43 PM   #41
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Google “watch robberies in London”. Note the number of page results that are UK press reporting on robberies, especially violent robberies, during 2020 and 2021 in London. I get 3 pages before a single story about this comes up in the US, then links alternate between the US and London. While you’re counting see how many pages you have to go to find a story on this from Fox, I quit looking at 7 without finding one.

Maybe rethink the “American Ridiculousness” and Fox News comment. Why not ask these guys, for one example of many, why they are perpetuating such lies? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dge-Video.html

Or maybe there is a problem and until this phase abates it’s smart for people to think about not making themselves a target. Especially people traveling out of their home countries.

I’d love to not have to think about this. I live in Houston and it’s been a huge problem here, and yes I’ve taken steps not to be a target including not wearing my watches as much. But hiding my head in the sand and pretending this isn’t happening is beyond foolish.

Out of curiosity, I don’t watch Fox News much, I get news largely from business news channels. How much do you watch Fox to be an expert on their content? Or are you commenting on what you hear The BBC, CNN, etc say about Fox?
If your source is the Daily Mail - a hate mongering click-bait quasi-fascist rag that openly supported the Nazis, is colloquially known as the Daily Hate, and alternates daily between fermenting outrage at foreigners, young people, the poor and disabled, democracy and ‘leftists’, with a long and storied history of horror that makes the Murdoch rags blush - you’ve already lost whatever spurious point you were trying to make.

Try not to be loud, try not to do anything stupid, and you’ll be fine.

But sure. Lecture a local based on your Google ‘research’ while chugging horse dewormer.
Old 13 January 2022, 06:05 PM   #42
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
To put things in perspective, there are nearly 10 million people in London area; many of whom haven’t been robbed for their luxury watch.
As I said earlier, if you’re worried wear a digital watch.
Truth. (And a lot more diplomatic than I managed.)
Old 13 January 2022, 06:42 PM   #43
mrN
"TRF" Member

Quote:

There are watch robberies in London but overall it is a safe city. I could make the same point about gun violence in the US and I’m not suggesting to anyone visiting to wear a bulletproof vest.

I’ve been traveling around Europe my entire life and worn Richard Mille, AP, Patek, Rolex, etc… all the flashy kind that you can think of and I’ve never had an issue or felt like I was going to have one for wearing a luxury watch.

If it makes you feel unsafe (even though it is safe) then you should buy something that truly won’t make you a target like a Casio.

Enjoy London, it is an amazing city!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 07:50 PM   #44
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Good to know. Appreciate the heads up. Gonna be a long flight so I might wear something in SS instead. Thinking 216570 but who knows.

Thank you. Will do and I’m hoping so. Gonna try to pop in a few A D’s but I’m sure my time will be better spent elsewhere. Damn sure would love to find a 116505/116515 but I’d imagine there’s a 1% chance at best.
Unfortunately zero chance of finding anything of interest in any AD nowadays. Your holiday time's better spent elsewhere.
Old 13 January 2022, 09:00 PM   #45
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

London is generally a very safe city, wear what you want and enjoy your visit.

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 09:15 PM   #46
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
London is generally a very safe city, wear what you want and enjoy your visit.

Gorgeous watch Russell, as always (and on public transport too!).
Old 13 January 2022, 10:13 PM   #47
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If your source is the Daily Mail - a hate mongering click-bait quasi-fascist rag that openly supported the Nazis, is colloquially known as the Daily Hate, and alternates daily between fermenting outrage at foreigners, young people, the poor and disabled, democracy and ‘leftists’, with a long and storied history of horror that makes the Murdoch rags blush - you’ve already lost whatever spurious point you were trying to make.

Try not to be loud, try not to do anything stupid, and you’ll be fine.

But sure. Lecture a local based on your Google ‘research’ while chugging horse dewormer.
Clarify: are you saying the article, one of many I could’ve used as an example, is untrue? Or are you discrediting it simply because you disagree politically with your opinion of the political slant to the paper? I don’t know them, I selected their article at random.

Not that it’s any of your business but I’m vaxxed with a booster. Still got it.

Trying to pin some invented stereotype on me because you parrot what the far leaning left says about Fox, yet can’t defend your negative opinion based on any first hand knowledge, is a very stereotypical of the leftist mindset today. Can’t win an argument on its merits? Do one or all of these:
Denigrate the other person about something irrelevant
Change the subject
Outright lie.

You played #1.

I’ve been to London, many other international cities. I do not need basic behavior instructions.
Old 13 January 2022, 10:22 PM   #48
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Obviously this thread turned into what I was afraid it would. Mods, might as well shut it here, I got the information I asked for, thanks to all of you who gave ideas.

Those of you who told me why what I asked was wrong or nonsense, next time skip to the next thread. Crime is on the rise in London and many other cities. It’s clear people who are in our hobby are targets. I’m choosing to not make myself a target. I do not care if that upsets you or if you agree with it.
Old 13 January 2022, 10:57 PM   #49
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Obviously this thread turned into what I was afraid it would. Mods, might as well shut it here, I got the information I asked for, thanks to all of you who gave ideas.

Those of you who told me why what I asked was wrong or nonsense, next time skip to the next thread. Crime is on the rise in London and many other cities. It’s clear people who are in our hobby are targets. I’m choosing to not make myself a target. I do not care if that upsets you or if you agree with it.

There is nothing wrong with using common sense when traveling. We just spent a couple weeks in Puerto Rico over the holidays and I brought 2 Rolex’s and an iWatch. While at the resort or in the ocean, I wore the Rolex’s and when out exploring the island or touristy stuff walking around San Juan, the iWatch.

Being in a warm climate with short sleeves was the main reason for not wearing an expensive watch out of the resort but in London during winter, no one will see what you have on so I would be less concerned about wearing a nicer watch.

Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
DoxaDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2022, 11:16 PM   #50
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Being concerned for your safety and valuables in a major city that is unfamiliar is never nonsense. However as many have contributed London isn't a wild and out of control place to wear your treasured pieces and doesn't need to be given any special treatment over and above what I'm sure you would already consider doing in your home town. Enjoy the trip.
Old 13 January 2022, 11:41 PM   #51
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Clarify: are you saying the article, one of many I could’ve used as an example, is untrue? Or are you discrediting it simply because you disagree politically with your opinion of the political slant to the paper? I don’t know them, I selected their article at random.

Not that it’s any of your business but I’m vaxxed with a booster. Still got it.

Trying to pin some invented stereotype on me because you parrot what the far leaning left says about Fox, yet can’t defend your negative opinion based on any first hand knowledge, is a very stereotypical of the leftist mindset today. Can’t win an argument on its merits? Do one or all of these:
Denigrate the other person about something irrelevant
Change the subject
Outright lie.

You played #1.

I’ve been to London, many other international cities. I do not need basic behavior instructions.
Well if you've been, you'll surely know London is safe. Have a good trip.
Old 13 January 2022, 11:59 PM   #52
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
If you already have more expensive watches, don’t buy any cheaper one, better save your money to goes for the better one. If you buy the cheaper watch, you might not use it much so it won’t worth the money.
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
, Seiko: SRPA21,
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 12:12 AM   #53
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Being concerned for your safety and valuables in a major city that is unfamiliar is never nonsense. However as many have contributed London isn't a wild and out of control place to wear your treasured pieces and doesn't need to be given any special treatment over and above what I'm sure you would already consider doing in your home town. Enjoy the trip.
I didn't claim that London was a wild out of control place. But people, mostly from London, want to argue that crime against people wearing expensive watches and jewelry is a myth. Despite the plethora of sources around the world reporting on that very crime.

If I was concerned about London being some dystopian violent society I wouldn't visit, certainly wouldn't bring my wife and kids.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I also wouldn't wear my Blue SkyD, for example, to NYC or L.A. for the same reason.

I'm simply looking for a watch that I'll enjoy owning and wearing beyond one week in London. I asked for brand recommendations and before I know it I'm a guzzler of medication for horses. It seems some want to replace the meaning of the R in TRF from Rolex to Ridiculous. It's little wonder that so many long time and valuable posters have left, at least no longer contribute.

But thanks for your comment, I am looking forward to the trip. I love London and all it has to offer, and very excited for my kids to get to experience it.
Old 14 January 2022, 12:16 AM   #54
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
There is nothing wrong with using common sense when traveling. We just spent a couple weeks in Puerto Rico over the holidays and I brought 2 Rolex’s and an iWatch. While at the resort or in the ocean, I wore the Rolex’s and when out exploring the island or touristy stuff walking around San Juan, the iWatch.

Being in a warm climate with short sleeves was the main reason for not wearing an expensive watch out of the resort but in London during winter, no one will see what you have on so I would be less concerned about wearing a nicer watch.

Have a great trip!

Thanks! I'll be there in June, peak tourist season, and probably short sleeve weather, at least during the day.
Old 14 January 2022, 12:20 AM   #55
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
London Trip

Quote:
I didn't claim that London was a wild out of control place. But people, mostly from London, want to argue that crime against people wearing expensive watches and jewelry is a myth. Despite the plethora of sources around the world reporting on that very crime.

If I was concerned about London being some dystopian violent society I wouldn't visit, certainly wouldn't bring my wife and kids.

If it makes anyone feel any better, I also wouldn't wear my Blue SkyD, for example, to NYC or L.A. for the same reason.

I'm simply looking for a watch that I'll enjoy owning and wearing beyond one week in London. I asked for brand recommendations and before I know it I'm a guzzler of medication for horses. It seems some want to replace the meaning of the R in TRF from Rolex to Ridiculous. It's little wonder that so many long time and valuable posters have left, at least no longer contribute.

But thanks for your comment, I am looking forward to the trip. I love London and all it has to offer, and very excited for my kids to get to experience it.

If it’s safe for your wife and kids, then it’s safe for anything you wear. Wear what you like and enjoy rather than comprising, no need to think so much.

I travel to London a lot wearing all sorts of luxury items, there is always someone more decked out on the streets. Definitely one of the safer places I’ve travelled, especially if your staying around central London. Like all major cities, if your straying away from the beacon path, then just exercise a little more caution and plan ahead.

supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2022, 01:13 AM   #56
samuel019

Quote:
Unfortunately zero chance of finding anything of interest in any AD nowadays. Your holiday time's better spent elsewhere.
Back to what you and I were talking about

Jeez thats insane when you think about it. Where I live there is around 6-7 Rolex A D's in the entire state where as Paris has what? 15 or more?

Yes I am aware of the current Rolex no inventory, well at least out for display, but the shear quantity of A D's in one area makes that even more bonkers. But I'm sure you know the Paris A D situation better than I. Just figured I would pop in a few while the wifey is in Chanel spending who knows how much and wanted to do the same. You know something in PM. Oh well, wasnt like buying a new Rolex was the point of the trip. Thank you for the replies
Old 14 January 2022, 01:24 AM   #57
samuel019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzsiam View Post
If you already have more expensive watches, don’t buy any cheaper one, better save your money to goes for the better one. If you buy the cheaper watch, you might not use it much so it won’t worth the money.
I was kinda thinking the same. However I can understand the O P's point and nothing wrong with his idea. I just know I would probably never wear it once back home but I did learn about a few nice watches I wouldnt have otherwise.

OP I hope you and the family have a great trip
Old 14 January 2022, 01:54 AM   #58
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Dude, I didn't say you said anything, I simply said what London isn't - I'm not from London but visit regularly for work and pleasure. As others have posted, if it's safe for wife and kids then it's safe for your watch. However, if your not comfortable with wearing a Rolex in London then no problem, it is your choice. Enjoy showing your kids the sights.
Old 14 January 2022, 01:55 AM   #59
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was kinda thinking the same. However I can understand the O P's point and nothing wrong with his idea. I just know I would probably never wear it once back home but I did learn about a few nice watches I wouldnt have otherwise.

OP I hope you and the family have a great trip
Thanks!

Not wearing it again is a consideration. But my work environment is more suited to a smart watch, or something that's not clearly an expensive luxury watch. So I think I'll wear it a good deal, and maybe more than my expensive watches, when I return.

Another thought is just wear my Apple Watch, which I wear to work. But I have the cellular version and don't want it to connect to cellular in London as that'll result in massive data charges. Worrying about it being on airplane mode doesn't sound like how I want to spend time in London. I need to look into this more and may end up the best possible option.
Old 14 January 2022, 02:23 AM   #60
Waldorf369
"TRF" Member

Err, bought a couple from ADs in London. Even they suggest that I bring a backpack or they give me a disguise supermarket carrier to put my new Rolex haul for example. Says enough...

It is generally safe, but like every major city (barring places like Hong Kong or Singapore), I wouldn't wear something too flashy in certain areas.
Waldorf369 is offline   Reply With Quote