The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2022, 08:12 AM   #1
buddy13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Orient star 300m
Grand Seiko 9SA5 - Technical tour de force

I have been researching the new Grand Seiko 9SA5 movement and the more I see, the more I confirm it is one of the greatest movements in sub 50K watches.

For those who have not seen it and want to be blown away here goes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUbJvRFHqoQ&t=33s

It's MEMS made, dual impulse escapement, has dual different size barrels for 80h PR & full bridge free sprung balance with Breguet overcoil. Mostly, I like that they kept their word and continued to use metal alloys for the hairsprings, most probably a Special Seiko developed alloy. Many years ago, during a dive watches presentation a Seiko Engineer claimed that Silicone, though precise, is not considered tough enough for use into their mainsprings. While brands like Omega, Tudor, Rolex etc. now use it almost solely, nice to see them take a direction and keep their word.

It takes the best of Rolex & Omega movements and combines them in one technical marvel.

They have the newly developed 9RA5 movement and launched it into a dive watch (SLGA001), would you think that Seiko will place the mechanical 9SA5 in a dive watch, hopefully a normal sized one & not 47mm like the SLGA001?! Or will this, in your opinion stay in their highest grade dress watches only ?

My dream is for them to make a re-issue of the Grandfather Tuna, like the modern SBDX035, with this movement powering the watch....what an absolute beast that would be .
buddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote