The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 August 2009, 10:33 AM   #1
gerard88t
"TRF" Member

Trading my 16800 Matte for a nice 5513 w/White Gold Surrounds

It's a head for head trade. My 16800 for their 5513. Am I wrong in the deal or should I be okay? I understand the value of the matte 16800 but can't a 5513 from near the end of its run be a worthwhile collectible as much as the 16800? Thanks for any input on the matter
Gerard
gerard88t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 10:40 AM   #2
whiskyguy
"TRF" Member

Bad trade in my opinion

with the 16800 you get the best of both worlds. Matte dial and sapphire crystal. In my opinion it will only become more popular. Late 5513 only has the acrylic crystal going for it.
Good luck
whiskyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 10:41 AM   #3
dweller
"TRF" Member

I think your giving up to much honstly, matte will always be worth more $$ collectible than gloss w/surrounds.... Its easy to say not knowing your finacial situation but if me and I was able I would definitly keep the 16800 and pick up a 14060 head in the low 2k's and never make that trade.
dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 10:41 AM   #4
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
I think if they are in both the same condition your watch is worth more.IMHO yours is the more desirable watch now and in the future.Will the 5513 with the WG surrounds be collectible is anybody's guess but it is not today.You have the best of both worlds a matte dial saphire crystal and a quick set movement are you sure you wanna trade?IMHO you are going in reverse with a plastic crystal,no date and WG modern dial. In the end do whats best for you.Good luck

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 01:25 PM   #5
gerard88t
"TRF" Member

Here is the 5513 I am getting -

Does it look good?

Old 23 August 2009, 08:32 PM   #6
dweller
"TRF" Member

is the trade done and 5513 on the way? not a great pic to tell but the crown guards a little off, maybe due to over polishising?

all that matters is it's what you want and is a good deal for you, but IMOP I would definitly like to be the trader getting the matte 16800, would be more balanced trade if yours was a later gloss example.. but matte is matte man and I would say your atleast $500.00 short in trade value back to you..

Last edited by dweller; 23 August 2009 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: sp
Old 23 August 2009, 08:40 PM   #7
mike
"TRF" Member

As others have stated, I would stay with the matt 16800. As an early transitional it indeed offers the best of both worlds and should Rolex curtail service more of the 15xx series movements the 16800 with it's 3xxx remains stable for the forseeable future.

Something future collectors might notice?
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 08:49 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Have to agree with Mike although the 5513 is a great watch most collectors would prefer 5513 without gold surrounds.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 09:10 PM   #9
gerard88t
"TRF" Member

No, the 5513 is utterly unpolished. It just looks odd in the smaller pic. Has the most original lines I ever saw on a older Sub. I think it sat alone without a lot of wear time before trader found it. I think I put the matte ideology aside and am thinking more getting something different. I enjoyed the 16800 long enough and if it was meant to really stay with me and I be that attracted to it, I would not be trading it, so that there tells me it had to go to someone else for their pleasure. I think I mislead with the words "matte 16800" and it might have caused a lot of you kind gents to think the best possible specimen, which mine is far from. I feel I'm getting something cool to take the place of it. Thanks for your concern and help
Old 23 August 2009, 09:15 PM   #10
gerard88t
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Have to agree with Mike although the 5513 is a great watch most collectors would prefer 5513 without gold surrounds.
Yeah I hear ya, but I am not getting it for other collectors. I like the way it looks for me I guess I was asking this trade question too soon before actually weighing what I'm giving and getting. I like the healthy case and potential of this 5513 not forgetting to mention a super high domed acrylic crystal and that cool concave caseback and slight shape differences in its case vs my old 16800
Old 23 August 2009, 09:16 PM   #11
dweller
"TRF" Member

Good for you and I understand, what your saying makes sence and is really all that matters... always difficult to ask others opinions on these things, esp with out seeing your watch..
Old 23 August 2009, 09:30 PM   #12
gerard88t
"TRF" Member

But it is nice to know ahead of time most guys don't appreciate my incoming 5513 so it saves me having to share pictures I plan to beat the snot out of it like I was doing with my 16800
Old 23 August 2009, 09:48 PM   #13
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
As long as you verified the 5513, go for it.

I have a 16750 with WG surrounds, and there is a slight patina on the tritium. I love the look.

Is that a service dial on the 5513, or original, and is the serial # consistent with the WG surrounds?
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 09:51 PM   #14
gerard88t
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_rocks View Post
As long as you verified the 5513, go for it.

I have a 16750 with WG surrounds, and there is a slight patina on the tritium. I love the look.

Is that a service dial on the 5513, or original, and is the serial # consistent with the WG surrounds?
Yep, everthing is original. I grew to like the WG. I think I'm still too young to wear a matte watch full time and a little flash is a good thing sometimes. My 16800 was not flash.
Old 24 August 2009, 01:32 AM   #15
gerard88t
"TRF" Member

Update: Hey fellas I made the trade today...

Only it was for this!

I couldn't believe how nice it was when I saw it. Quick story is a friend who collects watches called and told me he got a 1680. Well, typically his prices are usually out of my reach so I told him how I was going to trade the 16800 for the 5513. He basically said what most of you said, then asked me if I wanted to meet up with him this morning and see it. His asking price? My 16800 and another watch that costs lots less than a Rolex (which sat in the watch case full time anyway) Needless to say I am wow'd! Thanks for looking and all the support. You all brought me luck. And yes, I know the insert is a replacement
Old 24 August 2009, 02:05 AM   #16
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Great looking watch.... and a great trade........

The hobby should be looked at as getting and enjoying what makes you happy, not what the "traditional" collector says is the best or proper line to have..

........... so, either trade would have been good for you. this one is just icing......
Old 24 August 2009, 02:18 AM   #17
gerard88t
"TRF" Member

Thank you Larry. I still can't get over how little I had to give up to own it. Having a friend in the business of finding and selling nice watches is something I'm quite grateful for today. By the way, the serial places it at 1979. When did they discontinue these 1680s Larry? And I call it a "White Sub"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

The hobby should be looked at as getting and enjoying what makes you happy, not what the "traditional" collector says is the best or proper line to have..

........... so, either trade would have been good for you. this one is just icing......
Old 24 August 2009, 02:18 AM   #18
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post

Old 24 August 2009, 02:20 AM   #19
gerard88t
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuppieKid View Post
Larry is correctomundo! Get what you like and sometimes get fortunate. I love our hobby!
Old 24 August 2009, 09:03 AM   #20
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
wow nice 1 enjoy it.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote