The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 August 2009, 10:53 AM   #1
cafejenna

Watch: Love all.
Great Story: Tourneau in NYC v. Grey dealer 4 blocks away

It is amazing the prices for Rollies in Tourneau in NYC. I was looking at a Sub-No Date, Z series (rolex rolex rolex engraving), OCSC. The price was 5,495. WHIle I understand this is a CLASSIC and I would love to have it, as I have the 16610 sub date now... I just felt this was a little high and I asked the dealer to drop down to 5,000. I was going to pay cash. He would not BUDGE and was also SO RUDE! It was crazy how rude this person was and I am very nice to everyone. I tried to let him know I could buy it around the corner for less (didnt know at that time), but told him anyway, but I wanted to remain a Tourneau customer. And I have purchased 3 watches there. WHile I think they are super rude everytime, I still like the AD relationship for any problems or service. However, I left, and walked around the corner to 47th street (jewelry stores galore) and walked into a typical Jewlery exchange. There is was in one of the booths: non-date OCSC, brand new. 4,000. I bought is ASAP after inspecting it thoroughly. And Just to make sure, I TOOK IT BACK TO TOURNEAU!!! Asked for the manager, handed him a 50$ (best 50 I EVER spent) and he opened the watch, had the 'watch doctor' look at it, 100% real and perfect. So wound up saving 1,400 and I had the biggest smile on my face as I walked out of the store while the manager and salesman had to watch my butt walk out with a LOST sale to their direct competitors next store. It was a great experience!! Lesson: be nice always, just get even. :)
cafejenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 10:56 AM   #2
cafejenna

correction: saved closer to 2,000$ with tax. i had bad experience shipping to CT one time... lost in fedex mail, took 3 months get refund from fedex insurance! anyways... hope that story was enjoyable for your fellow rollie fans. ps - never going to tourneau again. I'll take my chances elsewhere and send the watch right to rolex if any probs. im not anal about the time keeping, although so far it's been to the SECOND for the last 4 days....
Old 23 August 2009, 11:11 AM   #3
YuppieKid
"TRF" Member

Icon14 Excellent story!

Old 23 August 2009, 11:36 AM   #4
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Icon14

Go grey market !
DARK_KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 12:02 PM   #5
TempoKing
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
YOU my friend paid the right price..
TempoKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 12:14 PM   #6
solkeeper
"TRF" Member

Great post. I'm looking for places in NYC that would authentic watches. I was at the RSC on 5th and they wanted $150 to do an authentication. Or as they call it a service appraisal. Does tourney only charge $50 for this?
solkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 12:22 PM   #7
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Awesome! Great job!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 12:49 PM   #8
dpj17
2024 Pledge Member

Great story, can anyone PM me on how to become a Rolex Grey Dealer? I'm sure it takes a lot of cash and a good connection.....I have neither, oh well!
Old 23 August 2009, 12:57 PM   #9
bodybump
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
2024 DATEJUST41 Sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: Me!!!
Grey!!! is the New Black!!!.......ummmmm nevermind it doesnt make any sense.. Congratulations to your new watch!!!
Old 23 August 2009, 01:03 PM   #10
diversified
"TRF" Member

The last watch I bought, Sub Date, I went to the local AD, pulled out a printout of Alan Furman, said match it or I walk, to my wonderment they not only matched it but took another $500.00 off.
diversified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 01:24 PM   #11
scoobydoo

Watch: The "Hulk"
Cool story. . . "Living well is the best revenge." - George Herbert.
scoobydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 01:37 PM   #12
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Great story and congratulations on the new addition... Any pics?
Old 23 August 2009, 02:48 PM   #13
onkyo
Banned

They were trying to rip you off.... 5500 for a Z series no date sub... that's a joke!!!

The AD relationship is way overvalued.

Be wise and save your hard earned money to buy more Rolex's.
onkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 04:07 PM   #14
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Glad you didn't get it from T. Except one sales person at the SouthCoast Plaza T is a very nice person and easy to deal with, all others I've met have not met my expectations. The one in Ceasar's Palace was ESPECIALLY RUDE....
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 11:08 PM   #15
cafejenna

I will post pics soon of the new addition... my cell phone camera is awful, and I don't want to cheat fellow TRF members with bad pics...give me a few days and I'll post pics of both Subs. I am super happy about the 4000 price. !! and answering the post above...they would not authenticate the watch for free, they wanted 125$ to open it. But, i just had that instinct in me (the italian in me i guess) to hand the manager 50$ to show him i was "nice" but also and he opened the watch for free. especially since he knew i was a three-time customer in the past and was already concerned that his salesman lost the sale a few hours earlier. No more buying from T. Done. pics soon....
Old 23 August 2009, 11:15 PM   #16
Chozn1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Sub View Post
Glad you didn't get it from T. Except one sales person at the SouthCoast Plaza T is a very nice person and easy to deal with, all others I've met have not met my expectations. The one in Ceasar's Palace was ESPECIALLY RUDE....
A-MEN!

Caesar's T Saleslady: Why would I offer you a discount on this watch (blue tt sub) when it won't it won't be here much longer?

Me: Apparently the watch and I have something in common.
In search of DayDate
Prior models... Just about everything.
Chozn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 11:20 PM   #17
hhuy99

Watch: 14060M
Congrads on the new ND. I just bought the same watch here on TRF for similar price. Never pay retail again.
hhuy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2009, 11:34 PM   #18
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Your story just goes to show it pays to shop around!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 12:26 AM   #19
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
The only Rolex that I have bought from an AD was my 116600 and it was an out-of-state AD. I don't think I will ever pay that premium again. However, as far as ADs go.........this one was top-notch.

I think you made the right decision, and glad that you could rub their noses in it.

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 12:36 AM   #20
Idle Swede
Suspended

Good story.
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 12:59 AM   #21
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Great story! It looks like the 'rule' still works: buy the person. Not the company. I have 2 ADs that will jump through hoops to fulfill my dreams, I know this comes with a slightly higher price tag, but to me it is worth if they can help. In 15 years it has been a number of watches and they always deliver!

Sorry for Tourneau, good for you and all of us here!!!!
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 01:16 AM   #22
kittansett
"TRF" Member

I don't buy from Tourneau...

When I was a medical resident and was looking at a Vacheron Overseas watch in NYC, the saleslady had the instinct that I was just browsing, so instead of helping me, she directed me to go to the "pre-owned section". I was quite offended, and will never buy from them. Now, I'm a practicing physician, still likes watches, and buy from any AD, but not from Tourneau.
kittansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 01:19 AM   #23
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

My question is this. If Alex Furman is a Rolex dealer, how can he advertise discounts while other stores do not? I was in a JR Dunns and the salesperson whispered that they will discount but did not say how much. And, of course, if you want any tyhpe of discounting, you are never offered a decent interest rate. I guess he is a gray market guy??
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 01:39 AM   #24
eddiehkg
Banned

Watch: SS Submariner
I was in Tourneau NYC yesterday. I walked in with my GMT Master. I didn't get help for at least 15 minutes. 7 salesperson stood there and busy talking BS to each other. They can't stop their mouths over some BS and laugh so loud for non-sense things. It was like a whole punch of HS kids talking non-sense. A saleslady finally came to me and asked me if i need help because i started messing up the bochures and some catalogs on the table. i told her i wanna trade in my watch for a Sub solid gold watch. She told me that watch is on sale for $19500.The price is worse than some crazy ebayer listing price. i waited 15mins again for her to estimate my watch for trade in value. i didn't get a good price and she won't lower a dime. so i walked out with my old watch.
if i didn't mess up the catalog on the table,i would have just like everyone else browsing around and get ignored. Don't bother me again Tourneau.
eddiehkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 01:43 AM   #25
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Good deal...and it's COSC.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 02:41 AM   #26
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehkg View Post
I was in Tourneau NYC yesterday. I walked in with my GMT Master. I didn't get help for at least 15 minutes. 7 salesperson stood there and busy talking BS to each other. They can't stop their mouths over some BS and laugh so loud for non-sense things. It was like a whole punch of HS kids talking non-sense. A saleslady finally came to me and asked me if i need help because i started messing up the bochures and some catalogs on the table. i told her i wanna trade in my watch for a Sub solid gold watch. She told me that watch is on sale for $19500.The price is worse than some crazy ebayer listing price. i waited 15mins again for her to estimate my watch for trade in value. i didn't get a good price and she won't lower a dime. so i walked out with my old watch.
if i didn't mess up the catalog on the table,i would have just like everyone else browsing around and get ignored. Don't bother me again Tourneau.
Stories like these pop form a lot of places; I walked @ their store in Las Vegas (wearing my DayDate), store was empty and no one, none, zero, zip of the sales staff even welcomed me into the store! How do they expect to get a sale like this??? Walk into Wynn's AD and you are treated like royalty, with respect and all questions answered.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 02:42 AM   #27
ob1

Watch: new pussycat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybump View Post
Grey!!! is the New Black!!!.......ummmmm nevermind it doesnt make any sense.. Congratulations to your new watch!!!
Good story mate!
ob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 03:55 AM   #28
ashu2289
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas,SD
Excellent readCongratulations: cheers:

Everything becomes nothing after ROLEX
116520 SS Daytona White Dial
116520 SS Daytona Black Dial
116523 18K&SS Daytona Slate Dial
16600 Sea-Dweller
16710 GMT Master II Pepsi Bezel
16613 18K&SS Submariner Blue Dial
116660 Deepsea Sea-Dweller
ashu2289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 04:01 AM   #29
theloxmyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by diversified View Post
The last watch I bought, Sub Date, I went to the local AD, pulled out a printout of Alan Furman, said match it or I walk, to my wonderment they not only matched it but took another $500.00 off.
I like your style, Jim!
theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2009, 04:07 AM   #30
The GMT Kid

Watch: what you say!
My local AD has great customer service, but will not discount SS models. There is a sales lady there who always spots me and comes running over. When she found out I was paying cash, she ran to her manager for a cash discount. The manager claimed that since the watch (SD) was being discontinued and I would no longer be able to get it, he did not need to discount it.

I am currently purchasing a Deep Sea from a gray dealer...

The GMT Kid is offline   Reply With Quote