The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 2 January 2017, 07:23 AM   #1
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
One of our forum members! Jim / Jar

Guys,

I know this is not about a pen, but occasionally you get some insight into a TRF member and it astonishes you how good and kind the people here can be!

Jim / Jar and I are talking about some Omas' FPs (he has a great Omas collection) and he invited me out to his website to look at some photos of a D-Day he is considering putting up for sale.

Well... far be it from me not to nose around a bit in someones site and I stumbled on a story he posted about a puppy and it truly warmed my heart on this cold New Year's afternoon. I didn't ask his permission, but it did impact me and I thought that it gave such good insight into one of our own that I thought I would share it!

And, after all as it is on the web and in the public domain, he can't sue me!

Anyway... this short story is VERY much worth your time to read. It is one of those accounts that makes me glad that I "know" Jim and others on TRF.

Jim, my hat is off to you my friend! Not too many people would have done what you did and take the risk, not to mention the inve$$$$tment it must have cost you and your family.

Then name of the story is Maddy. Read on!

http://jimrichardson.org/Maddy.html
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 08:11 AM   #2
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Yes. He is a great person. I'm learning a bunch from him about vintage Mont Blancs and pens in general.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 08:13 AM   #3
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
I had to stop the story long before the end.

About six months after Maddy joined the family she started having seizures, epilepsy. The vet prescribed medications and over time it appeared we were getting control over the situation. Then one Sunday evening she started a series of Gran Mal seizures. I rushed her to the weekend all night Vet clinic and they tried to bring the seizures under control but they simply continued; Gran Mal after Gran Mal. They did finally get the seizures stopped and she was sleeping, very heavily medicated so I drove back home.

A few hours later I got a call; she had another seizure and this time her little heart just stopped.

There is still a big hole.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 08:57 AM   #4
Juantxo
Banned

Jim has been a friend to me and has taught me a great deal. I call him Sensei. No doubt he is a good man, a kind man, he's utterly knowledgeable and generous, I feel lucky to have him around.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2017, 09:08 AM   #5
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
I had to stop the story long before the end.

About six months after Maddy joined the family she started having seizures, epilepsy. The vet prescribed medications and over time it appeared we were getting control over the situation. Then one Sunday evening she started a series of Gran Mal seizures. I rushed her to the weekend all night Vet clinic and they tried to bring the seizures under control but they simply continued; Gran Mal after Gran Mal. They did finally get the seizures stopped and she was sleeping, very heavily medicated so I drove back home.

A few hours later I got a call; she had another seizure and this time her little heart just stopped.

There is still a big hole.
Man!!!! I hate that ending Jim, but just to know the love she experienced in her last months of life... That is a fantastic thing and must be very rewarding to you and your family. Loved the photos you included in "Maddy".

We have a little Chihuahua that has been a member of our family 15 years next month. My wife got him for me as a Valentine's gift, but he really bonded to her more than me.

My wife really disliked dogs of any size (bad experienced), and when she got him for me it was quite the surprise. He was such a cute little guy and was the runt of the litter that I think my wife felt sorry for him as he would shiver all the time. She started carrying him in her inside coat pocket just about everywhere she would go. Grocery store, hair dresser.... I think the pup just thought that she was his mother kangaroo. He completely turned her heart when it came to dogs. If my wife ever leaves me I am sure she will take the dog and not care about anything else. But I told her if she ever does leave me, I am going with her!

He has been the most delightful friend. Not at all nervous or weird as Chihuahuas can become, but I think he sort of took on the personality of both of us. Peaceful little guy.

He is 15 years old now. Not sure how much that is in dog years, but I have heard it is around 7 to 1 with some slowing of that ratio as they age past 9 or 10 years. If it is 7 to 1 I guess that would make him 105 in dog years. But he still has some zip in his zipper and comes inside after a brisk morning poop and runs all around the house especially energized! Something about that cold Midwestern air that makes him frisky. Or maybe he is just excited that he still can have a bowel movement at 105 years of age.

The only thing that is wrong with him now is that he recently decided to take a flying jump out of my wife's chair and hit his chin on the floor when he landed. It broke his jaw and the vet decided that surgery was not an option as his bones were too delicate to hold any pins or wires. So today his mouth hangs open a bit and his tongue hangs out to the right. Oh... and he only has 3 teeth left, but he loves soft dog food. I hope the same can be said for me when I am 105.

He is a happy, energetic, little ancient dog named Mijo (pronounced Me-ho - Little boy in Mexican slang). And he is our friend. So I understand Maddy!

Cheers Jim!
Old 2 January 2017, 09:10 AM   #6
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
Jim has been a friend to me and has taught me a great deal. I call him Sensei. No doubt he is a good man, a kind man, he's utterly knowledgeable and generous, I feel lucky to have him around.
X10 and well said Juan!

Jim has posted one of the better write ups on the relation of poison ivy /oak to Urishi Lacquers that I have ever read on his site. Some great photos to go along with it. Check it out if you are interested.
Old 2 January 2017, 09:53 AM   #7
Juantxo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
X10 and well said Juan!

Jim has posted one of the better write ups on the relation of poison ivy /oak to Urishi Lacquers that I have ever read on his site. Some great photos to go along with it. Check it out if you are interested.
I will certainly look it up. I love to read all Jim writes.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2017, 10:40 AM   #8
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
I will certainly look it up. I love to read all Jim writes.
You are right. Jim has a talent for writing and I must have spent a couple of hours just reading his stories.

He has one named "The Good Old Days" that is astonishing. It takes you down the road in another time and you wind up where you are!
Old 3 January 2017, 10:42 PM   #9
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
You are right. Jim has a talent for writing and I must have spent a couple of hours just reading his stories.

He has one named "The Good Old Days" that is astonishing. It takes you down the road in another time and you wind up where you are!
Glad you enjoyed them and it's always nice to get feedback.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2017, 10:53 AM   #10
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Glad you enjoyed them and it's always nice to get feedback.
Well Jim. In case you haven't been told, you have a real talent for writing.

Perhaps we are from the same generation, I don't know, but I certainly related to several of the stories and really enjoyed them very much!

Ahh... yes... The good old days!

Please do keep on sharing with us your stories and accounts. You can be sure that they are appreciated.