The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 September 2023, 09:52 PM   #1
Peter99
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LN & 214270
AI a step in the right direction.

My son has been exploring the possibilities of AI in connection with it's use as an aid in research and as a general exercise asked AI to paint a picture with the following questions, such as:-

1) Of a three masted wooden sailing ship
2) Under full sail
3) Sailing from left to right
4) In heavy seas.
5) With waves breaking over the bow
6) With darkening light rimmed clouds
7) Bright sun setting

The image is what AI produced.
In my opinion it is pretty amazing and my son believes that AI will be an essential aid not only in research and as a learning base for all but for the advancement of acknowledge in all directions.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_0707.png (113.8 KB, 273 views)
Peter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2023, 10:03 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
When you say "paint a picture", I assume there was no paint actually involved? In future there will be less painting and less learning and less of many things as we humans rely on AI to do it for us, I imagine. Eventually we may even become completely dependent on it.
Old 29 September 2023, 10:13 PM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
When you say "paint a picture", I assume there was no paint actually involved? In future there will be less painting and less learning and less of many things as we humans rely on AI to do it for us, I imagine. Eventually we may even become completely dependent on it.
Must agree.

Soon humans will be irrelevant.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2023, 10:13 PM   #4
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
I don’t take a gloomy view of AI, but I think most educators will be slow to exploit its value as a learning tool.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2023, 10:24 PM   #5
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT

I’m a retired Technology Executive. We were dabbling with AI where I worked. Like anything else, there are going to be pros and cons. But in this case, both the pros and cons are going to be significant.

One, AI could ultimately develop cures for some of our most heinous diseases (e.g., cancer, Alzheimer’s, etc.). AI could also develop monumental scientific breakthroughs for us, too.

Two, we’ll likely end up totally dependent on AI for everything. (e.g., designing bridges, skyscrapers, diagnosing patients, etc.)

In a thread the other day, I mentioned how the ancient Greeks were able to determine the size and distance of the moon with remarkable precision. They did so without the use of a calculator or computer. Well, in the future, you can pretty much forget about humans being able to do something equivalent to that. They’ll just ask AI to do it for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2023, 10:33 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I wonder what the world will look like for my grandkids.

I’m glad I’m at my age and stage.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2023, 11:16 PM   #7
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Must agree.

As far as this planets 'well being' is concerned, weren't we always?

If anyone knows of, one, good thing, humans have done for this beautiful blue marble in space, I'd be interested to hear it.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2023, 11:28 PM   #8
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I wonder what the world will look like for my grandkids.

I’m glad I’m at my age and stage.
It’s a scary thought isn’t it, looking ahead like that? I wonder too.

My devolved, spud-man guess is that, even when AI is supercharged by quantum computing, the world will still need smart people to analyse and make decisions; and their thinking will be smarter, because they’ll leverage better technology.

But the music will suck (almost as much as AI-generated art), politicians will still be dirty, and the Bloodhound Air-King will be revered instead of reviled.
Old 29 September 2023, 11:37 PM   #9
Schmed
"TRF" Member

AI is going to be a disaster. It's already in use for robocalls. Customer service is going to tank - who wants to talk to a computer instead of a real person? Your initial medical visit will be via AI. Students won't learn basic math or science anymore. We'll lose all those skills.

Schmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2023, 11:40 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
It’s a scary thought isn’t it, looking ahead like that? I wonder too.

My devolved, spud-man guess is that, even when AI is supercharged by quantum computing, the world will still need smart people to analyse and make decisions; and their thinking will be smarter, because they’ll leverage better technology.

But the music will suck (almost as much as AI-generated art), politicians will still be dirty, and the Bloodhound Air-King will be revered instead of reviled.
Great ... AI music ... hadn't thought of that

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 29 September 2023, 11:48 PM   #11
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

I’m not really all that worried about it. Most independent experts (those without with any vested interest) I’ve talked to indicate that the potential is largely overblown. Sooner or later AI is going to get pinned for causing harm/death and it will get reigned in. If unemployment rises significantly and it gets pinned on AI, the politicians aren’t going to be to happy about that either. Human beings will always run the show.
HHIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2023, 11:54 PM   #12
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
My son has been exploring the possibilities of AI in connection with it's use as an aid in research and as a general exercise asked AI to paint a picture with the following questions, such as:-

1) Of a three masted wooden sailing ship
2) Under full sail
3) Sailing from left to right
4) In heavy seas.
5) With waves breaking over the bow
6) With darkening light rimmed clouds
7) Bright sun setting

The image is what AI produced.
In my opinion it is pretty amazing and my son believes that AI will be an essential aid not only in research and as a learning base for all but for the advancement of acknowledge in all directions.
I had that painting in my living room as a child, for real.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 01:12 AM   #13
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
The AI has learned to plagiarize human works.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 01:19 AM   #14
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
I knew you were a time traveler.
Old 30 September 2023, 01:23 AM   #15
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
When it comes to technology, every generation has had those that stood on the hilltop, shook their fist, and screamed at the approaching storm. Yet somehow, we're still here.
Old 30 September 2023, 02:57 AM   #16
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

People who equate this with just any other technology we've created in the past are deceiving themselves. This is by far the most dangerous thing that man has created since we started walking upright, and right now there are literally thousand of companies working on it, in a race to the bottom for profits.

Even the people that invented it are saying it has a 50-50 chance of destroying us.

We keep seeing stories of how this is going to be great for everyone, will cure disease, fix climate change and other fanciful nonsense. It is going to be used by corporations for profit, it is going to eliminate millions of jobs, and not just blue collar ones. (With AI do I need to go to a doctor. A lawyer. Will we need pilots. Probably not)

We have no mechanism in place or probably will have, for a Universal Income for people to live the Jetsons life of leisure while machines do all our work. So how will we live or buy products. Do you really think the US will pay people to stay home and live a middle class lifestyle or upper class lifestyle while corporate machines do all the work. LOL

Can governments save us. NO. The genie is out of the bottle.

The danger is not just the doomsday scenario by 2050 and beyond that some predict it's the disruption in the next few years that will probably be even more dangerous.

It will come fast, and we won't have time to prepare for it.

Already the deep fakes and mis-information are readily available for use and getting better and better. Surveillance is getting to the point of immediate correlation of your data that can pinpoint you, your location, your friends, your meetings, conversations, your history, medical conditions, etc etc. They don't need the chip in you although I'd bet they'll soon sell that to you as a benefit.

There probably isn't any futurist book or movie about the pitfalls of this tech that isn't possible or probable. There has never been anything like the kind of disruption that AI is capable of and will in all likelihood achieve.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ng-naomi-klein

https://hbr.org/2023/05/who-is-going...2-a7f59fcd9d10

https://time.com/6255952/ai-impact-c...d-2148d7788cb7
Old 30 September 2023, 03:04 AM   #17
piratfisk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16233, 116619LB
Quote:
Must agree.

I half look forward to this. I'll see you on the beach when our AI overlords beepboop on by with our daily allowance of mai tais.

Wishlist: 128236; 5396G; 15550ST; 384.029
piratfisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 03:04 AM   #18
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601

Quote:
Must agree.

Especially after…

kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 04:53 AM   #19
cdmorenot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
I'm currently rolling out an AI solution for QA analytics and I am surprised at the capabilities. The system can determine sentiment, single out non-compliant interactions and much more.

The system keeps getting "smarter" and at current pace, I'll have no need for a QA team at my shop by the end of Q1 24... Pretty soon my job will be reduced to hitting a button once a day. Pretty scary.
Old 30 September 2023, 06:44 AM   #20
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Nothing like dealing with AI when someone has hacked your bank account.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 06:55 AM   #21
Maleg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
People who equate this with just any other technology we've created in the past are deceiving themselves. This is by far the most dangerous thing that man has created since we started walking upright, and right now there are literally thousand of companies working on it, in a race to the bottom for profits.

Even the people that invented it are saying it has a 50-50 chance of destroying us.

We keep seeing stories of how this is going to be great for everyone, will cure disease, fix climate change and other fanciful nonsense. It is going to be used by corporations for profit, it is going to eliminate millions of jobs, and not just blue collar ones. (With AI do I need to go to a doctor. A lawyer. Will we need pilots. Probably not)

We have no mechanism in place or probably will have, for a Universal Income for people to live the Jetsons life of leisure while machines do all our work. So how will we live or buy products. Do you really think the US will pay people to stay home and live a middle class lifestyle or upper class lifestyle while corporate machines do all the work. LOL

Can governments save us. NO. The genie is out of the bottle.

The danger is not just the doomsday scenario by 2050 and beyond that some predict it's the disruption in the next few years that will probably be even more dangerous.

It will come fast, and we won't have time to prepare for it.

Already the deep fakes and mis-information are readily available for use and getting better and better. Surveillance is getting to the point of immediate correlation of your data that can pinpoint you, your location, your friends, your meetings, conversations, your history, medical conditions, etc etc. They don't need the chip in you although I'd bet they'll soon sell that to you as a benefit.

There probably isn't any futurist book or movie about the pitfalls of this tech that isn't possible or probable. There has never been anything like the kind of disruption that AI is capable of and will in all likelihood achieve.
I remember when everyone said the same thing about nuclear weapons. People lived in fear for decades. But the closest thing to global extermination so far has been research on a bat virus.
Maleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 07:58 AM   #22
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maleg View Post
I remember when everyone said the same thing about nuclear weapons. People lived in fear for decades. But the closest thing to global extermination so far has been research on a bat virus.
AI will soon be controlling nuclear weapons so that’s something to look forward to.

You’re old enough to remember a world without computers. Somewhere around 50 years ago. Now computer tech control everything.

And in the near future we’ll turn computers over to computers. A natural evolution.
Old 30 September 2023, 09:12 AM   #23
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmed View Post
AI is going to be a disaster. It's already in use for robocalls. Customer service is going to tank - who wants to talk to a computer instead of a real person? Your initial medical visit will be via AI. Students won't learn basic math or science anymore. We'll lose all those skills.
Humans typically celebrate creativity and skill. I wonder what will become of that.
In the OP's post he stated that the AI "painted" a picture of a ship per the stated requirements. It did do a good job "creating" a picture but it wasn't painted. Paintings have brush strokes and mixtures of colors. It's a human talent of creativity and skill. I'm not splitting hairs over words, just pointing out that up close you could tell the difference and applaud the human for transferring his imagination to a physical state on canvas using hands, colored globs of paint and brushes on long handles. It's a dexterity exercise that AI isn't competing with humans (yet).
Computers have already all but replaced special effects and cartoons. It's become so commonplace on screen that I notice when it's real. Real art. Imagine that.
AI as an exercise is pretty amazing but I don't want to see it replace hard work, practice/learning/effort.
I guess this is how people felt when the scientific calculator became available to students.
Time will tell.
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 09:23 AM   #24
TC94
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
I don’t take a gloomy view of AI, but I think most educators will be slow to exploit its value as a learning tool.
Most educators still teach from printed books that are two years behind the minute they are published, and offer no interactivity nor ways to delve deeper into sub-topics that a student may find interesting.

Even my medical reference books that are available as digital downloads can only be purchased by also buying the printed version, and there are no hyperlinks to information updates. You have to buy the next edition for another $200 in a few years.

And we wonder why education isn’t progressing fast enough to supply workforces.
TC94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2023, 07:57 PM   #25
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC94 View Post
Most educators… offer no interactivity nor ways to delve deeper into sub-topics that a student may find interesting.
Sad, isn’t it? I hope it changes.

I know there’s a small push now in teacher education to use technology to engage students and get them interacting and creating with it (i.e. not just occasionally watching YouTube videos or typing on computers). Of course, it’s not always going to happen, but it’s good that new teachers have this stuff in mind. Even ChatGPT can be productive instead of a way to cheat (Naomi Klein might say I’m tripping, though). For example, students or teachers can use it to create their own resources tailored to individual interests and accessibility needs: written, graphic or audio texts easily generated can function as an ‘information dump’/brainstorm to start building from, or something more substantial to pick at, but still need to be analysed and evaluated by students. As long as they do the thinking part, then it’s not lazy — they’re grappling with texts and ideas, and the best part is the content can align with whatever they’re into.

That’s a limited example (another could be generating some coding for them to remix), but it’s why I don’t think AI will replace real student work. Still, a boring post here, sorry.
Old 30 September 2023, 08:03 PM   #26
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
AI will soon be controlling nuclear weapons so that’s something to look forward to..
Not sure what part of the control of nuclear weapons you are referring to, but the keys for the launch codes will never be in the hands of AI. That’s the official DOD policy and I doubt that will ever change, they’ve likely seen The Terminator just like the rest of us.
Old 30 September 2023, 11:11 PM   #27
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
Not sure what part of the control of nuclear weapons you are referring to, but the keys for the launch codes will never be in the hands of AI. That’s the official DOD policy and I doubt that will ever change, they’ve likely seen The Terminator just like the rest of us.
Can you guarantee that to be assured, in all countries with nuclear capability....eg, North Korea?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2023, 12:34 AM   #28
HHIslander
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
Can you guarantee that to be assured, in all countries with nuclear capability....eg, North Korea?

Of course not. No one can guarantee anything. But I think it’s pretty apparent that the chances of that happening are so remote that losing sleep over it would be unwise.
Old 1 October 2023, 12:48 AM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

If AI can used to get a Rolex quicker … I’m all in
Old 1 October 2023, 01:51 AM   #30
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIslander View Post
That's using today's thinking. The more that AI take over every facet of computers the lazier and more complacent we will become, human nature. There are people today who think that computers are safer than human error. Look at self driving cars and the money being spent on that. In the near future people will think that AI is safer than human fallibility in all aspects.

There are around 10 countries with nuclear weapons today. How do we guarantee that some of them don't revert to AI for control of their infrastructure and arsenals.

Bottom line is it costs money for employees in all facets of commerce and industry, corporations and governments and they'll all try to eliminate as many jobs as possible as the tech gets better and better.

We are the only species stupid enough to invent our own destruction as AI will soon be efficient in writing its own code.