The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 August 2020, 02:29 AM   #1
Strathtay
"TRF" Member

Insurance for new purchase

Hi,
Just bought a 116520 and I’d like to insure it. I have my Batman on my house insurance (which I have just renewed) but thought it may be easier in the short term to have my new watch on a stand alone policy.
I’ve been quoted £464 which j thought was a tad expensive??
What do others recommend and if it’s not too nosey what are you paying?
Thanks
Strathtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:41 AM   #2
Simon_jrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: whichever I wear
There was another thread like this earlier, was it deleted?

Submariner 114060/ Submariner 116613LB/ Daytona 116523/ Omega Seamaster/ Omega De Ville
Simon_jrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:44 AM   #3
Denvertimeguy
Banned

Home policy for sure! Those stand alone policies are a racket and they won’t even insure past a certain value!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Denvertimeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:45 AM   #4
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Wow that’s expensive. As I’m in the US I have no idea what is normal in the UK. However here I pay roughly $7 per thousand to insure watches and jewelry under my homeowners policy with a $500 deductible. So for your watch it would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $120/year to insure it. You should shop around!
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:46 AM   #5
vesnyder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II
I went with an addendum to my home policy. That seems really expensive!
vesnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 02:47 AM   #6
dj-dulux
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Diver
Home insurance in UK likely best option. They will refer to underwriter so watch the special requirements, safe, alarm, etc...

Dupe....
dj-dulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 03:17 AM   #7
Ihatecheese
Banned

On my John Lewis house insurance policy it's 5-10 extra a month per watch.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 03:20 AM   #8
thesharpe
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 126711
Definitely go with a home policy. Some are bespoke when adding high value items, but they always work out cheaper than taking individual item insurance.

I use A-Plan for all my insurance policies. Decent firm. Plus you can actually speak to someone and explain exactly what you want.
thesharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 04:35 AM   #9
synrrgy
"TRF" Member

My watches are tied in with my home policy but I've heard that it may not be the best option in the event it gets stolen from your house since they will only cover a percentage of it. Now if it's lost or you get robbed, it may be another case. Now I think I need to do more research to see what works out the best in my situation.
synrrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 05:17 AM   #10
StillTrying
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, black
I pay $7/month ($85/yr) here in the US for $10K with no deductible. Its an additional option with home insurance.
StillTrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 05:21 AM   #11
ZeGerman11
"TRF" Member

I have zero knowledge of UK home insurance policies, so this may be a stupid question, but why wouldn’t you just add it to your home policy? You state you just paid your annual premium so you’re looking for something else short-term. Are you not able to make changes to your policy within a certain amount of time after paying your annual premium?

I just send my insurance co. the appraisal, they approve and send a bill for any difference owed for the remainder of the year. Watch is specifically declared for the appraised value (otherwise my ins. would only cover I think $5,000), and it costs me an extra $60 or $70 annually (Sub 16610).
ZeGerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 05:57 AM   #12
iTreelex
"TRF" Member

I don't insure my watches lol. It's such a bizarre thought to me.
iTreelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 06:07 AM   #13
Sg6067
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15450ST Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTreelex View Post
I don't insure my watches lol. It's such a bizarre thought to me.
I think it becomes more of a concern once you have a valuable collection. One or two low to mid price watches, sure don’t worry about it. Have a 5 or 6 figure collection? You start to worry and insure your watches.
Sg6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 06:11 AM   #14
JerBear
"TRF" Member

I added a "Personal Article Floater" to my home owners insurance. I think it was ~$140/yr and covers up to $10K USD
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 06:21 AM   #15
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillTrying View Post
I pay $7/month ($85/yr) here in the US for $10K with no deductible. Its an additional option with home insurance.
Thats not bad, whats the name of the insurance company?
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 06:21 AM   #16
nighthawk77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strathtay View Post
Hi,
Just bought a 116520 and I’d like to insure it. I have my Batman on my house insurance (which I have just renewed) but thought it may be easier in the short term to have my new watch on a stand alone policy.
I’ve been quoted £464 which j thought was a tad expensive??
What do others recommend and if it’s not too nosey what are you paying?
Thanks

When I picked up my most recent purchase the total value of my collection went over the threshold of my previous provider (Bradford and Bingley). After a little research I found M&S to be the best provider. Double checked with them and they don’t need anything itemising though I keep copies of my receipts/warranty cards etc saved electronically should I ever need them...
nighthawk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 11:03 AM   #17
bsh_watch
"TRF" Member

I have a watch-specific policy through Jeweler's Mutual. I believe it cost be about ~350/year to insure 4 watches (Rolex modern and vintage, Omega, Blancpain).

I'd recommend it, and I'm a bit surprised about people saying to go with the rider on a home insurance policy. There have been several threads in the past about how it's better to go with a specific jewelry policy...I guess as long as you have it insured somehow the peace of mind will be there.
bsh_watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 11:12 AM   #18
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by synrrgy View Post
My watches are tied in with my home policy but I've heard that it may not be the best option in the event it gets stolen from your house since they will only cover a percentage of it. Now if it's lost or you get robbed, it may be another case. Now I think I need to do more research to see what works out the best in my situation.
I went with a separate policy/insurer because you want to make least amount of claims as possible against your home policy. You don't want your home policy going up because you accidentally damaged your watch.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 11:18 AM   #19
Batmanbln
"TRF" Member

I live in NY. I have a brand new Hulk as well as a Batman and my first DJ from 2002. They are all under my home insurance, with a $0 deductible. I pay just under $500/year for all three watches. That may seem a bit pricey, but again I have no deductible and the watches are insured for any event, even if I happen to loose the watch - almost any and all scenarios are covered. Additionally, I think the yearly price is fair, considering I had the Hulk and Batman re appraised after purchasing them from my AD, considering the MSRP I paid vs. the current replacement prices are vastly different. The Batman is insured for $15K the Hulk is insured for $17,500 and my DJ for $9k. All in all it’s well worth the piece of mind - for just under $500/year to insure 3 watches at a value of $41,500 with no deductible, doesn’t bother me much
Batmanbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 11:20 AM   #20
Batmanbln
"TRF" Member

Forgot to mention also..I’m using the same company for my renters insurance, but it is a separate “jewelry” policy
Batmanbln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 01:55 PM   #21
doboy007
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/LVc/SkyD/ND41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanbln View Post
I live in NY. I have a brand new Hulk as well as a Batman and my first DJ from 2002. They are all under my home insurance, with a $0 deductible. I pay just under $500/year for all three watches. That may seem a bit pricey, but again I have no deductible and the watches are insured for any event, even if I happen to loose the watch - almost any and all scenarios are covered. Additionally, I think the yearly price is fair, considering I had the Hulk and Batman re appraised after purchasing them from my AD, considering the MSRP I paid vs. the current replacement prices are vastly different. The Batman is insured for $15K the Hulk is insured for $17,500 and my DJ for $9k. All in all it’s well worth the piece of mind - for just under $500/year to insure 3 watches at a value of $41,500 with no deductible, doesn’t bother me much
You should check out other insurers. I get my 3 watches, ~$35000 total, covered for $210/yr with no deductible through State Farm. I’m sure insurance rate varies by region, but ~$500 seems steep.
doboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2020, 04:35 AM   #22
goldenpauls
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060M
I think I mentioned a couple of years ago to a similar post that it's worth getting a quote from AXA as they do £100k total contents cover of which £30k can be valuables and a £15k article limit within the £30k. They don't specify any special conditions (safe etc) and don't ask for details or valuations.
goldenpauls is offline   Reply With Quote