The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 July 2023, 12:39 PM   #1
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Hit A Wall With AP

Met with my SA yesterday to add some watches to my 'Wishlist'. Unfortunately, seems I'm hit a wall with AP.

I don't buy complications, only three handers, preferably without a date. I wanted to add a RO 15510 ST (green dial), 15550 ST (ice blue dial), and he said, not really possible. However a 26240 ST (green dial) is possible, unfortunately I don't really like it. If I want a chrono, I prefer the 26240 CE, but apparently I'm not far enough with my AP 'journey', bit disappointed when he told me that. Told him that, and he will introduce me to the boutique Manager...

Anyone else hit a wall with AP? I mean, I'm not going to buy watches I don't like, or even worse, will not wear.
NTCP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 12:42 PM   #2
Commandopat
"TRF" Member

I’d be happy that your SA was that open with you - lets you know where you stand.
It seems many people wait years and don’t get what they’re looking for.
My SA has been open that all RO pieces are pretty hard right now but she’s take down my request and see what happens.
I say just talk to the manager and see what happens.
Commandopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 01:03 PM   #3
construda
"TRF" Member

I 2nd talking w the manager and laying it out. A bit of a lame situation. There is always the option to take the 26240 green and resell for a premium to move into the other watch you really want on the gray market. It's a bit underhanded but I feel like if they're essentially forcing your hand - what can you do. Depends how bad you want it.
construda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 01:21 PM   #4
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

True, I can take the green steel chrono, but can't be bothered selling it, and again, don't really like it. All my AP visits were pleasant, and they never forced me to buy any of the watches I currently have. I wanted them, and rejected certain pieces. My visit from yesterday gave me a bit of bad taste in my mouth... I get that AP is selective for certain pieces, but don't tell me to buy ROOs and ROCs that I don't like.

I don't buy grey, don't see the point of paying premium...
Old 26 July 2023, 01:32 PM   #5
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS, Omega
Be patient and look on the secondary market. ROs have fallen 30 to 50% from their highs and they are going to keep falling. There are tens of thousands of 3 handers and ROCs made every year in a myriad of dials and configurations…and many on the secondary are languishing. I’m not suggesting they’ll all fall to retail+tax but many of them will.

Life is too short to play AP games (or Rolex or Patek). Pay a bit of a premium and get it now and without the frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 July 2023, 01:38 PM   #6
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTCP8 View Post

Well, the point would be you get what you want. Your SA was pretty clear they aren’t going to offer you what you’re after. And while the message sucks, I’d be thankful they were being transparent.

People should start thinking of MSRP as a privileged price that simply isn’t available to everyone. The value of the watch is what the market as a whole is willing to pay. Think of it this way and there is no real concept of a “premium” for most people.

Old 26 July 2023, 01:38 PM   #7
s14roller
"TRF" Member

What’s your history with the brand? If not that extensive, asking for the hardest color to get in a 15510 as well as hardest color to get in a 15550 seems to gotten you the result I would have assumed. 26240CE? I mean, same comment
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 01:40 PM   #8
Armis
"TRF" Member

Im curious what pieces you have gotten from them to begin?
You are correct and they should appreciate that you are genuine about pieces you request so that you can enjoy and wear them. There are enough others that have gotten a 15510 even as their first piece, so it’s a little extreme and unfair for the SA to refuse to put on your list.

That’s good you’re speaking with manager next, but keep an open mind. Again, I’m not sure what you’ve bought from them to date, but underscore that you buy only what you’re willing to wear.
Good luck.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 01:50 PM   #9
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

1st piece: 15210 OR, purple dial
2nd piece: 15510 OR, black dial

Rejected ROOs (diver blue dial, one chrono light blue dial, and music edition), and a ROC. Rejected a blue dial rose gold chrono, so they should know that I don't buy watches to resell with a profit... Don't really check the prices on Chrono24, but I'm sure OR chrono blue dial goes for a premium.
Old 26 July 2023, 02:09 PM   #10
Armis
"TRF" Member

Quote:
1st piece: 15210 OR, purple dial
2nd piece: 15510 OR, black dial

Rejected ROOs (diver blue dial, one chrono light blue dial, and music edition), and a ROC. Rejected a blue dial rose gold chrono, so they should know that I don't buy watches to resell with a profit... Don't really check the prices on Chrono24, but I'm sure OR chrono blue dial goes for a premium.
Agreed, you are consistent and forthright with what you like/wear and what you don’t. You even have a Code OR, which I thought says tons about your appreciation of the brand. Again, that’s good you’re meeting with manager, who I hope and expect will be reasonable.
Armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 02:54 PM   #11
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Talk with the manager seems in order, but if the theme for future additions to your collection is "steel ROs with the most popular dial colors" it's going to require some thinking to find a path that makes sense for you and AP.

Would also be interesting to parse the exact wording by the SA - e.g., last year I was told I couldn't get a RG RO/ROC, not b/c they don't like me, but because by the time I asked all incoming watches for the rest of the year were spoken for.
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 03:12 PM   #12
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

The wording was: '15510 green dial, too difficult seeing you have a simple (meaning three hander) RO OR, and a simple (same, three hander) CODE, it's time for a complication. For the 26240 CE, it was more or less the same, have to buy ROO with complications and ROC.

He did say that if the ROO and ROC are too big for your wrist, there might be a chance, but even than...

I'm not bashing AP or the SA. I like the brand, and most of the people I've talked with were friendly. Just a bit disappointed that I can't buy the watches that suit my overall style.

I don't buy watches with dials that are popular, otherwise I would have bought the ROC blue dial. My taste changes, I did like the silver dial last year, now I prefer the green dial.
Old 26 July 2023, 06:45 PM   #13
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
26240 green is still very nice! I could only get the white one.

But yes, I’m not getting what I really want from AP either.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 07:18 PM   #14
Marinapark
Banned

Quote:
True, I can take the green steel chrono, but can't be bothered selling it, and again, don't really like it. All my AP visits were pleasant, and they never forced me to buy any of the watches I currently have. I wanted them, and rejected certain pieces. My visit from yesterday gave me a bit of bad taste in my mouth... I get that AP is selective for certain pieces, but don't tell me to buy ROOs and ROCs that I don't like.

Offering you a steel chrono with a green dial left a bad taste in your mouth? You need a reality check pal. There are thousands of collectors who would love to have that watch offered to them.

Marinapark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 07:59 PM   #15
deuxani
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiscott_29 View Post
Pay a bit of a premium and get it now and without the frustration.
But the watches OP want are not selling for a bit of a premium. They are selling 25k over retail at grey dealers. Doesn’t matter how much money you have, paying double the retail price is ridiculous.
deuxani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 08:04 PM   #16
Emery
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinapark View Post
Offering you a steel chrono with a green dial left a bad taste in your mouth? You need a reality check pal. There are thousands of collectors who would love to have that watch offered to them.

Bro ate 2 ORs and the best the boutique could do was to offer him a watch he didn’t really want.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 08:28 PM   #17
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:

As I said a few times on this forum, I don't follow the hype... I buy what I like, without being influenced by others, pal. I was also offered a blue dial steel chrono, SA told me that will be easy to get. I'm not interested in that model, couldn't care less if blue is popular.
Old 26 July 2023, 08:31 PM   #18
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Talking about grey, was going through my phone pics, and back in 2017 ROs did sell way below retail. Price is in HKD...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img-8635.jpg (143.7 KB, 976 views)
Old 26 July 2023, 09:25 PM   #19
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Hit A Wall With AP

I’m not sure about AP at the moment, much will depend on my next visit.

I have four AP’s:

Royal Oak 15450 White (grey)
Royal Oak 15300 Black (grey)
Diver 15710 (grey)
Offshore 26480 Ti (AP House)

I did also have a 15450 Blue which I bought grey but that has since been passed on to a friend.

I’ve had my name down for a Jumbo for years and the Taupe 43mm Offshore for a good while and never had any proactive contact from them and no sign of me getting either of the watches I’ve asked for.

Equally, I’ve only visited AP House once in the last couple of years, but when I did, whilst they were really friendly and it was in many ways a great experience, they were super busy and not really set up for someone who just wants to go in and chat about watches periodically and look at the latest pieces (like I do with my Rolex AD) so I don’t feel compelled to keep visiting.

My 15300 has broken for the second time in five years so I need to go in and put it in for repair (again), so will see how the vibe is when I go in and assess whether or not I will continue with AP. I will likely be really straight with them and just ask if there is any chance in the next two years, and ask them to be straight in return, and if there isn’t, I can start planning alternative watches (I fancy a Patek 3800 but the money is set aside in case I get the call from AP).

I completely get that big hitters get priority, as do long term loyal customers with a trusted and well established relationship, and I really don’t think anyone can complain about that, as frustrating as it can be (I enjoy the benefits of having that relationship with my Rolex AD so would be hypocritical of me to think otherwise).

I think as long as AP are honest about timeframes and chances, that’s all anyone can reasonably ask for.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 10:00 PM   #20
messikens
"TRF" Member

I wish you good luck with the boutique manager, please keep us posted!

Reading your post I think YOU may have hit a wall because you want a very very specific watch/dial, one that is super rare and a ton of heavy hitters also want.

I get your point from a "I'll only buy what I want perspective" but I also think AP has really been quite accommodating by offering you very highly sought after pieces (green ROC, blue ROC) that others would kill for!

Unfortunately at some point AP will look for breadth and depth of your collection (materials, color, model lines) before allocating highly highly sought after pieces... Gotta pay to play
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 10:11 PM   #21
NTCP8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
I wish you good luck with the boutique manager, please keep us posted!

Reading your post I think YOU may have hit a wall because you want a very very specific watch/dial, one that is super rare and a ton of heavy hitters also want.

I get your point from a "I'll only buy what I want perspective" but I also think AP has really been quite accommodating by offering you very highly sought after pieces (green ROC, blue ROC) that others would kill for!

Unfortunately at some point AP will look for breadth and depth of your collection (materials, color, model lines) before allocating highly highly sought after pieces... Gotta pay to play
You are right... I was hoping that AP would see me as an honest collector who is not buying watches to resell.

Have to think about about getting a ROC, just don't like the thickness, and something is missing on the ROCs, not sure what. With some watches you can immediately see that they are 'perfect', colour combination, dial, bezel, crown, strap/bracelet, etc. With the ROC I don't have that feeling ' oh what a perfect watch'. I do have this with my RO OR and CODE. I feel a bit uncomfortable paying X amount for a product I don't like 100%.

Will ask my SA to introduce me to his Manager.
Old 26 July 2023, 10:38 PM   #22
hgg43c
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 + 4
glad to know i'm not the only one.
hgg43c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 10:45 PM   #23
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Hit A Wall With AP

Quote:

Exactly what I was going to say. This is a grail piece for many and hardly constitutes hitting “a wall with AP”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 10:47 PM   #24
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I can kind of see that with AP or frankly any brand that’s in demand. There are only so many watches that you may like that also fit. I have a gold ROC, black Offshore, and silver ROC. So I’ve talked to my SA about a blue three hander RO and was told it would be very hard to get. I said I was fine with waiting but already had three chronographs (I generally prefer them). I also have a blue Code chronograph on my list which I assume would come first but I may also be at a standstill for now. In my case with two purchases so far this year, I’m okay with a pause anyway but see how it can be frustrating.

srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 11:10 PM   #25
Marinapark
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Exactly what I was going to say. This is a grail piece for many and hardly constitutes hitting “a wall with AP”.

It went from “i cant get anything from AP at all” to “AP is only offering me a steel green chrono”. Id say the brand is doing something right.

OP, if you really want to hit a wall, go visit Patek or Rolex. They will make you wait for a 31mm two tone DateJust or a $40k manual wind Calatrava.

Marinapark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2023, 11:55 PM   #26
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

An elegant, but expensive, solution to OPs dilemma is to find a spouse/girlfriend/significant other to join in the hobby. AP will love it, spouse/SO will love it, instant collection diversification. Worked for me, but hard on the wallet

(I'm joking around a bit, but this is the most helpful advice anyone in OP's position could heed).
AP 15500ST Grey // 26237ST Beast // 26331ST Panda // 15450ST Blue // 77350CE Bucci // 26240CE 50th // 15407ST || Rolex 116520 White // 116710 BLNR // 126200 Blue || Omega Seamaster NTTD // Speedy Tokyo LE "Rising Sun" // Speedy cal. 321 "Ed White"
A timeless classic - Winding, ticking, faithful time - Golden crown of trust
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 02:07 AM   #27
SMD
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP
Quote:
The wording was: '15510 green dial, too difficult seeing you have a simple (meaning three hander) RO OR, and a simple (same, three hander) CODE, it's time for a complication. For the 26240 CE, it was more or less the same, have to buy ROO with complications and ROC.

He did say that if the ROO and ROC are too big for your wrist, there might be a chance, but even than...

I'm not bashing AP or the SA. I like the brand, and most of the people I've talked with were friendly. Just a bit disappointed that I can't buy the watches that suit my overall style.

I don't buy watches with dials that are popular, otherwise I would have bought the ROC blue dial. My taste changes, I did like the silver dial last year, now I prefer the green dial.
I too wish I could just buy what I want at retail when I want it. Truly unfair.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 02:37 AM   #28
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post

Ditto, was thinking the same here!!
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 03:14 AM   #29
construda
"TRF" Member

The green chrono is nice but come on. He's asking for watches that are LESS nice than the green chrono and getting a no on some pretty regular watches. It's not like he's asking for a 15407 or ceramic QP. "We can't do this but you have to do this" is LAME. OP I really hope it goes well w the manager, keep us updated. These type of interactions are all heavily boutique and SA-dependent and there are probably just as many SAs who would go out of their way to make it happen. As a newer AP collector getting into the brand it's not what you want to see happen to someone
construda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2023, 04:19 AM   #30
chiscott_29
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by construda View Post
The green chrono is nice but come on. He's asking for watches that are LESS nice than the green chrono and getting a no on some pretty regular watches. It's not like he's asking for a 15407 or ceramic QP. "We can't do this but you have to do this" is LAME. OP I really hope it goes well w the manager, keep us updated. These type of interactions are all heavily boutique and SA-dependent and there are probably just as many SAs who would go out of their way to make it happen. As a newer AP collector getting into the brand it's not what you want to see happen to someone
This is what I mean by "AP games". I know many long time collectors have excellent relationships and it's very easy to defend the brand coming from that world. I also believe the collectors that were with AP long before this craziness started should be rewarded and should have priority within reason.

However, if this is the way the upper echelon of the watch world is going to work, I just don't understand why brands mess with ADs any more. You could write a program that handles allocations based on this "process" in a matter of days. Having to kiss the a** of an SA and cater to what they are told to tell you - and in a majority of cases being left in limbo or disappointed - does absolutely nothing to expand the brand. In fact, it seems like a house of cards...