The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 4 March 2021, 12:47 AM   #1
thesingularity7
"TRF" Member

Tissot PRX "Genta" vs 1970s Tissot Seastar Quartz

Video review - https://youtu.be/evB2wikcQzk

There is something about 1970s watch design that makes it incredibly appealing to me. A lot of watches from that era used straight lines, dramatic angles, and an abundant use of flat surfaces. Gerald Genta‘s designs for Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, IWC and others, seemed to have spearheaded this design movement, and his design styles have only become more popular over time. If you look around today, you’ll find plenty of copies disguised as homages, and plenty of homages disguised as original designs. And most affordable watches in this price category often fall into these design traps, just because the design language is so distinctive.

But the idea of heavily borrowing from that rule book is not limited to modern watches. Even in the 70s, there were those influenced by that design style, and the Tissot Seastar is one such example. I didn’t know about this watch until a few years ago, when I was browsing eBay auctions late at night, as most watch enthusiasts do. I came across this Seastar Quartz and thought it looked great. I did some digging, and convinced myself this watch was legit, and decided to buy it. What arrived was a great looking watch, and an affordable way for me to own and enjoy the 70s design language, from a brand that has it’s own interesting story and heritage. I haven’t had this watch authenticated, but it looks legit and the movement inside behaves exactly like the Caliber 2031 is supposed to.

Vintage watch hunting on eBay is always a gamble though, and thankfully you don’t need to look at sketchy listings to get your 1970s watch design fix. Tissot recently released these watches as an addition to the PRX lineup, which appear to be heavily inspired by the Tissot Seastar. And I figured since I’ve owned the Seastar, maybe I’ll have some interesting or intelligent insight to offer. Unfortunately, I don’t have the Seastar in my possession right now, but I’ll include some photographs wherever relevant.

The PRX is offered in three dial colors, and has a retail price of $375. Tissot is usually a brand you can get a discount on, but given the heavy demand for this watch right now, you might have to wait a while to get a discount, as they are moving quick even at full retail.

Detailed written review - https://www.beansandbezels.com/revie...-watch-review/

thesingularity7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2021, 06:24 AM   #2
Showcall
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Skydweller
Nice watch, I am waiting for the Automatic version later this year.
Showcall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genta , prx , review , tissot , watch