The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 January 2021, 11:39 PM   #1
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126622
My Tudor Heritage Advisor Review

Hi all

After over a year of ownership, the Tudor Advisor has become my favourite Tudor. I have written a fairly in depth review of it for Scottish Watches which is up now. There will also be a YouTube Video coming soon.

http://www.scottishwatches.co.uk/202...rated-advisor/

I would be grateful for any feedback as I have really enjoyed writing it and hope to do more on my other pieces.

Here's an extract from the conclusion with the main headlines:
  • The original Advisor was an important part of the history of the brand and showed that Tudor were not just about following Rolex but could lead in design and technical achievement.
  • The Heritage Advisor was an important part of the re-birth of Tudor and paved the way for the success of other heritage models.
  • It was, and is, the only alarm watch in the Rolex/Tudor family and is arguably their most complicated watch (or it is at least more sophisticated than the chronographs and GMTs).
  • It has the first ‘in-house’ produced movement in the modern Tudor era and represents their first foray into in-house design.
  • The watch typifies what the brand is all about: real heritage combined with daring design, innovation, and quality engineering.
  • It has a beautifully balanced design that not only retains and evokes the heritage but also adds new functionality in a respectful and thoughtful way that serves the functionality of the watch. It stands out from the rest of the lineup in terms of design, functionality, and complexity.
  • It shows that Tudor has more interesting and innovative watches outside of the omnipresent Black Bays, and in my view, the Heritage Advisor is the best Tudor watch in the modern lineup…

Reviewing watches is inherently subjective and despite the rather definitive last bullet, the reality is that there are some watches that you connect with for reasons that are hard to quantify. For me, my enthusiasm for the Advisor is an emotional connection just as much as it is about a rational appreciation. I am an advisor in my day job and no doubt that is another reason for the connection, but I do think the design and function of the watch, combined with the Tudor heritage, make this a very compelling piece. The fact it is often overlooked in the range also gives it a kind of ‘best-kept secret’ appeal. The Advisor may not be as immediately masculine as the Black Bays, but it makes up with sophistication and rarity – the connoisseur’s Tudor perhaps.

Here are a few pictures, lots more on the review and my Instagram.

Have a great Sunday

Old 5 January 2021, 04:33 AM   #2
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Bump to raise awareness. I would be keen to hear views on the writing style -whether it was too formal or familiar etc.

Cheers
Old 5 January 2021, 08:06 AM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I haven't read your review, but for me the dial layout really kills this watch. Why have the 15-minute alarm markers where the minute markers normally go, and why put the minute markers on the smaller inner circle where they are partially obscured by the minute hand?
Old 5 January 2021, 08:20 AM   #4
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I haven't read your review, but for me the dial layout really kills this watch. Why have the 15-minute alarm markers where the minute markers normally go, and why put the minute markers on the smaller inner circle where they are partially obscured by the minute hand?
Yes I do address this in the review and I know it does bother some people.

The short answer is that Tudor were honouring the original Advisor reference 7926 while also elevating the main focus of the watch - ease of setting the alarm.

As you can see on this picture the vintage piece has a strong resemblance to the Heritage Advisor and had an inner minute track (this doubles as 12 min markers)

An extract from the review on this issue:

The twin track design, with hours and not minutes on the outer chapter ring, requires a paradigm shift and takes a little getting used to (most people assume the outer track is for minutes or seconds).  However, the more you use the watch, the more this choice makes sense.  Because it is a mechanical alarm it is not accurate to the second or even to the minute, the extra resolution of a wider outer track helps set the alarm more precisely. When I first noticed this, I thought that Tudor should have put the minutes on the outer track and the 15 minute markers on the inner; however, having used it regularly I now appreciate the clever design that both retains the vintage elements and adds new functionality in a consistent way that serves the purpose of the watch and adds to its unique character.  The design prioritises the ability to tell the time and read the watch accurately while also elevating the functionality of the alarm complication. The outer track also has a slope to it which enhances the sense of depth and acts like a rehaut.

I also touch on it in the what would I change section:

One functional constraint, as a consequence of the introduction of the large date subdial (which intersects a portion the inner minute track), is that you cannot read the inner minute track precisely between 23 and 37 past the hour. This does not impact on the ability to set the alarm (where you use the outer track) but it does mean that should you wish to hack the second hand and set the time between 23 and 37 past the hour, it is less easy to be precise and you have to use the 5 minute markers during this period. Another, possibly petty point, is that the alarm hand is not lumed, which would be useful when checking the watch at night or in dark environments.
Old 5 January 2021, 10:27 AM   #5
Old Expat Beast

Yeah, I mean I'm a Tudor fan and have owned several vintage and newer Heritage pieces - bought the Mondani Tudor book, etc - but the Heritage Advisor is not my favourite alarm watch, mainly for the issue mentioned above. Something like the 1960s-70s Seiko Bell-Matic was so much cleaner, simpler and more precise. If they reissued that line, I'd probably get one. Good job on the review, though, I'll try and read it all when I get time.
Old 5 January 2021, 05:02 PM   #6
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Followed on Instagram and I will give the review a read. I concur with OEB, slightly muddled dial layout. I like the complications and looked briefly at this reference, but struck me as large and ungainly.
Old 6 January 2021, 04:51 AM   #7
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post
Followed on Instagram and I will give the review a read. I concur with OEB, slightly muddled dial layout. I like the complications and looked briefly at this reference, but struck me as large and ungainly.
Thanks rootbeer - followed back

I can see why you might think it large/ungainly as it can look like that in pictures. On my wrist it is on the larger side but definitely doesn't feel ungainly. My video review should be up soon so you will be able to see it on there.

Cheers
Old 6 January 2021, 04:53 AM   #8
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah, I mean I'm a Tudor fan and have owned several vintage and newer Heritage pieces - bought the Mondani Tudor book, etc - but the Heritage Advisor is not my favourite alarm watch, mainly for the issue mentioned above. Something like the 1960s-70s Seiko Bell-Matic was so much cleaner, simpler and more precise. If they reissued that line, I'd probably get one. Good job on the review, though, I'll try and read it all when I get time.
Thank you

I must admit this watch has triggered my interest in other alarm watches - I must look into the Seiko. I like the look of the Vulcains too.
Old 6 January 2021, 12:48 PM   #9
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose 104 View Post
Thank you

I must admit this watch has triggered my interest in other alarm watches - I must look into the Seiko. I like the look of the Vulcains too.
The Bell-Matic is clever in that it it only has three hands and a simple dial layout, but also a day wheel, quickset date and easy-to-operate alarm in a 39mm case. There are many different designs but they all operate in much the same way. Here's an old leaflet from the 60s or 70s with a small sample of the export range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bell-Matic advert.jpg (167.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 6 January 2021, 04:39 PM   #10
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose 104 View Post
Hi all

After over a year of ownership, the Tudor Advisor has become my favourite Tudor. I have written a fairly in depth review of it for Scottish Watches which is up now. There will also be a YouTube Video coming soon.

http://www.scottishwatches.co.uk/202...rated-advisor/

I would be grateful for any feedback as I have really enjoyed writing it and hope to do more on my other pieces.

Here's an extract from the conclusion with the main headlines:
  • The original Advisor was an important part of the history of the brand and showed that Tudor were not just about following Rolex but could lead in design and technical achievement.
  • The Heritage Advisor was an important part of the re-birth of Tudor and paved the way for the success of other heritage models.
  • It was, and is, the only alarm watch in the Rolex/Tudor family and is arguably their most complicated watch (or it is at least more sophisticated than the chronographs and GMTs).
  • It has the first ‘in-house’ produced movement in the modern Tudor era and represents their first foray into in-house design.
  • The watch typifies what the brand is all about: real heritage combined with daring design, innovation, and quality engineering.
  • It has a beautifully balanced design that not only retains and evokes the heritage but also adds new functionality in a respectful and thoughtful way that serves the functionality of the watch. It stands out from the rest of the lineup in terms of design, functionality, and complexity.
  • It shows that Tudor has more interesting and innovative watches outside of the omnipresent Black Bays, and in my view, the Heritage Advisor is the best Tudor watch in the modern lineup…

Reviewing watches is inherently subjective and despite the rather definitive last bullet, the reality is that there are some watches that you connect with for reasons that are hard to quantify. For me, my enthusiasm for the Advisor is an emotional connection just as much as it is about a rational appreciation. I am an advisor in my day job and no doubt that is another reason for the connection, but I do think the design and function of the watch, combined with the Tudor heritage, make this a very compelling piece. The fact it is often overlooked in the range also gives it a kind of ‘best-kept secret’ appeal. The Advisor may not be as immediately masculine as the Black Bays, but it makes up with sophistication and rarity – the connoisseur’s Tudor perhaps.

Here are a few pictures, lots more on the review and my Instagram.

Have a great Sunday

That is nice...
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2021, 11:52 PM   #11
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny325 View Post
That is nice...
Thank you
Old 7 January 2021, 03:12 AM   #12
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Goose_104 you do amazing photography!

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 06:31 AM   #13
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214270Explorer View Post
Goose_104 you do amazing photography!
Thanks man, that's very kind of you.
Old 7 January 2021, 05:56 PM   #14
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Bell-Matic is clever in that it it only has three hands and a simple dial layout, but also a day wheel, quickset date and easy-to-operate alarm in a 39mm case. There are many different designs but they all operate in much the same way. Here's an old leaflet from the 60s or 70s with a small sample of the export range.

Thank you, really interesting and nice size at 39mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 14 January 2021, 07:22 PM   #15
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Killer photography goose!

Brief review and to the point.

Just to point out, I am pretty sure the only thing “in house” is the alarm module and the adaptive mechanisms used to incorporate it onto the ETA 2892. I love the idea of the watch but I think Tudor could do much better. However, they spend all their resources on the Black Bay line instead.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2021, 11:09 PM   #16
Goose 104
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Killer photography goose!

Brief review and to the point.

Just to point out, I am pretty sure the only thing “in house” is the alarm module and the adaptive mechanisms used to incorporate it onto the ETA 2892. I love the idea of the watch but I think Tudor could do much better. However, they spend all their resources on the Black Bay line instead.
Thanks so much - I do enjoy the photography and I'm lining up a review of the YM40 for Scottish Watches soon.

You are right about the alarm module (I explained that in the full review but not in the summary on this thread) I agree it doesn't constitute in house but I think it was a sign of their appetite to move in that direction. I also agree the watch could be improved (more in the what would I change section on Scottish Watches).

Also my video review is also now out here:
https://youtu.be/sLyHkhZS7mk

This is my first ever YouTube watch video and was done fairly rapidly at the request of SW so please forgive the basic edits and all the hesitation etc. I hope to improve the more I do them.

Tags
advisor , alarm , heritage advisor , review , tudor