The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 February 2021, 03:48 AM   #31
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
Here's something we haven't discussed and I don't follow racing but are there any rumblings on the Formula 1 front or any other front about electric race cars?

I'm guessing NASCAR will be the last to join in but who knows. One would guess that the association that evolved from Moonshine runners may be less than enthused to opt in.

Drag racing would be interesting. These electrics can boogie off the start line.

That would be Formula E - been going for a couple of years now.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 04:44 AM   #32
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Electric Car Domination?

I’ll jump on board the EV train the day that I am able to pretend I am clutch kicking, rev matching, heel toeing all while the car drives itself around town.
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 06:07 AM   #33
Paul7
Banned

I've read where traditional auto repair shops will be in for trouble, just not near not as much to break with an electric car.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 01:48 PM   #34
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
Unlike some of you, I think the switch to all electric is going to be very fast. I also feel that the new, younger generation aren’t interested in cars as the older one once were. I not only believe in a fast transition to electric but to self-driving autonomous vehicles. I know that my next car is going to be all electric and autonomous.
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 01:54 PM   #35
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice M View Post
Unlike some of you, I think the switch to all electric is going to be very fast. I also feel that the new, younger generation aren’t interested in cars as the older one once were. I not only believe in a fast transition to electric but to self-driving autonomous vehicles. I know that my next car is going to be all electric and autonomous.
I actually agree with you I believe the change is inevitable and once it gets going, will occur very fast. My next car (right now I own a Hybrid) will be EV.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 02:08 PM   #36
RotorSelfWinding
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
For several years, there has been talk of taxing electric car owners on the miles that they drive per year.

Otherwise, I agree with you.

Many states are charging EV registration fees. Texas proposed $400 per car.

I own two Teslas. Yikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RotorSelfWinding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 03:40 PM   #37
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorSelfWinding View Post

I own two Teslas. Yikes

I want to help.... Give me one of your Teslas. Heck, I’ll even come out to Texas and pick it up. No.. no need to thank me, just helping out a fellow TRFer
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 03:45 PM   #38
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorSelfWinding View Post
My state charges 1% of MSRP per year, for the first 7 years.
So you aren't getting any sympathy from me. That's a typical registration fee.
Just remembered, I had an Expedition for a while.
That was $700.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 04:47 PM   #39
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
A quick calculation will show a serious lack of coal fired power stations.

The devil is in the detail.

I can also imagine the rows and rows of tenements across the globe with power leads from every window out to the electric cars in the streets below.

I haven’t even started to consider the long term battery renewal/disposal issues.

Radical new battery chemistry will be required to make an EV transition.

Current technology will not make it.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 08:51 PM   #40
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Electrickery?

I have been considering an EV for a couple of years.
I recently sold my 4 year old Range Rover. A fabulous motor car but, it was costing me £1500 pa. in insurance and 'road tax', plus £1500 in servicing etc, etc.
I feel the backside is going to fall out of the big petrol engined Range Rover market soon, so thought I'd get out, whilst the, going was good.

I've driven less than 1000 miles over the past year, and less then 5K per year over the previous 24 months. We have our lovely diesel Mercedes estate for all our current needs, but will still consider our priorities, and maybe an EV for our short journeys.

It will be interesting to se how long the government 'subsidies' on EV's last, once the majority have 'converted'. Not too long I suspect!
Heaven knows what a gallon of electrickery is going to cost in 5 or 10 years!

Electrified, International, Bulk human transportation will be interesting.
Boeing 777E New York - London.....anyone?

As for converting 'Classic' cars...well!
I think Dear Enzo, Herr Porsche, Sir William Lyons, Caroll Shelby, et al, will be
reciprocating in their final resting places.
Well, maybe not so much the remarkable 'Ferdy' Porsche, he at least, seems to have been ahead of the game.....as per usual.
Feast your eyes on the, c1898 Mixte Hybrid. Lohner-Porsche

Bicycle anyone?......'lectric, of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.1 KB, 109 views)
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 09:42 PM   #41
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
So how do they QUICKLY convert billions of autos, semi’s etc? How do they QUICKLY built 10’s of thousands charging station BTW all different since none of these idiots want to go with one type so you will need ten of thousands. Porsche, Tesla, Chevy they are all different. How do all these stations get their power so then not about just building the charging station but upgrading the infrastructure to handle the charging. New underground lines etc etc. How does all this get done quickly?

I agree that quickly folks will start buying EVs as range anxiety gets better, charging becomes faster and more charging stations built. The end of ICE though will be decades, not quickly at all.

Again all in semantics but adoption of just buying an EV vs. all ICE being gone are decades apart, not QUICKLY.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 10:07 PM   #42
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
An interesting an fun read about speculation regarding EV's. I believe that EV's will get a small portion of the market and do well in larger urban areas who have the infrastructure to support charging. For the rest of the country, not so much. The real game changer will be if someone can come up with a better battery that will last 3-10x longer on the same charge and has a rapid charge. I know no one who currently owns an EV and the few that did give them a try moved out of them. We will see as technology advances but in the current state I will not be a buyer.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 10:18 PM   #43
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
An interesting an fun read about speculation regarding EV's. I believe that EV's will get a small portion of the market and do well in larger urban areas who have the infrastructure to support charging. For the rest of the country, not so much. The real game changer will be if someone can come up with a better battery that will last 3-10x longer on the same charge and has a rapid charge. I know no one who currently owns an EV and the few that did give them a try moved out of them. We will see as technology advances but in the current state I will not be a buyer.
I tend to agree. Battery technology just is quite there yet IMO.

I wonder about hydrogen fuel cell technology....
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2021, 11:55 PM   #44
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
So how do they QUICKLY convert billions of autos, semi’s etc? How do they QUICKLY built 10’s of thousands charging station BTW all different since none of these idiots want to go with one type so you will need ten of thousands. Porsche, Tesla, Chevy they are all different. How do all these stations get their power so then not about just building the charging station but upgrading the infrastructure to handle the charging. New underground lines etc etc. How does all this get done quickly?

I agree that quickly folks will start buying EVs as range anxiety gets better, charging becomes faster and more charging stations built. The end of ICE though will be decades, not quickly at all.

Again all in semantics but adoption of just buying an EV vs. all ICE being gone are decades apart, not QUICKLY.
There are so many wrong assumptions in your post.
Just one hint: You can charge your Porsche/Tesla/Chevy/BMW etc whatever on every ordinary charging station. The incompatibility that you write about doesn‘t exist!
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 12:59 AM   #45
CharlieWex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rollex
I don't think that if all the "classic cars" disappear everyone will be upset. And I don't think that's possible.
CharlieWex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 02:46 AM   #46
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
The car community is exploding right now.

Might be the greater world of kids aren’t interested. But the cad community is literally exploding. All over the US.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 02:49 AM   #47
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
The car community is exploding right now.

Might be the greater world of kids aren’t interested. But the cad community is literally exploding. All over the US.
Loved following you down in Florida at your last meet
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 03:16 AM   #48
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

No way. Can't do it.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 04:12 AM   #49
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Just give me the option to never drive again and I will die a happy man.

Let's make it happen within 10 years. Thanks
Old 4 March 2021, 04:23 AM   #50
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dinged & Gouged
Let me know where I can replace my tractors & harvesters with electric ones.

Don't forget to also point me towards a nuclear powered genset bank, to provide redundancy for my electric IH/JD replacements.

Until then, I'll continue to grow & raise the food that people eat the way it's done.

Virtue signaling city people, I tell ya.
ofelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 04:40 AM   #51
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofelas View Post
Let me know where I can replace my tractors & harvesters with electric ones.

Don't forget to also point me towards a nuclear powered genset bank, to provide redundancy for my electric IH/JD replacements.

Until then, I'll continue to grow & raise the food that people eat the way it's done.

Virtue signaling city people, I tell ya.

But......
What did your forebears do with all their horses and tack?
Old 4 March 2021, 04:47 AM   #52
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Put that stuff down as a down payment on a diesel storage tank?

Shook their heads & chuckled at city folks growing a "vine ripened" tomato in an apartment flower pot?

All while looking at the sun or consulting a pocket watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post

But......
What did your forebears do with all their horses and tack?
Old 4 March 2021, 06:48 AM   #53
Doug5551
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
SINCE YOU ASKED Here is a pic. It’s actually not that old, a 95, I don’t know if that really qualifies as “vintage.” It was my step father’s, he had it 20 years, and for those 20 he harped on me: “When I’m gone you better take care of this car!” Well, he is and I am. 26 years old and 48,000 miles.
That is such a lovely and meaningful story.

Thank you very much for sharing it with us. Very classy....
Doug5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 06:53 AM   #54
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
I don't see the USA having the infrastructure in place for lots of electric cars for at least 50 years.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 07:02 AM   #55
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
How long did it take cars to replace horses?
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2021, 07:13 AM   #56
ofelas
"TRF" Member

Never will replace.

Cars (well then, pickups in my world) will never replace a horse.

Try riding into a quagmire to rope an errant calf, let alone cross plowed fields in a vehicle.

Not going to happen for some of us, the instant feedback from a good horse is priceless.

For the disbelievers, may I suggest battery powered watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch Rob View Post
How long did it take cars to replace horses?
Old 4 March 2021, 08:35 AM   #57
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Never will replace.

Try riding into a quagmire to rope an errant calf, let alone cross plowed fields in a vehicle.

Not going to happen for some of us, the instant feedback from a good horse is priceless.

I hear you friend, recently saw some heartbreaking 1950's footage, of a farming family throwing armfuls of beautiful tack onto a bonfire in their yard, a couple of brace of Suffolk Punch being lead away, the family in tears and a shiny, New Fangled Tractor in the background.....heartbreaking.
Old 4 March 2021, 09:44 AM   #58
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Never will replace.

You can’t drive a truck through a wetland pushing cows out. You can with dogs and horses though. Also, I doubt many here know what it’s like to try to drive over anything that’s been disced or plowed.

That being said, there are some things that will be replaced and some that won’t. I know I’m not getting on a battery powered airplane (surely I am not the only one), I am inclined to think it’s not cost efficient to have battery powered ships and there’s lots of random equipment that is in places nowhere near power that will not be replaced for quite some time. Electric Cars and trucks will start gaining presence on the roads but I doubt we will see fossil fuel powered vehicles be obsolete in any of our lifetimes. Flying cars will be available before the complete transition to electric vehicles. (This is my own opinion, I have no sources and I am open to civilized discussion).

MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 03:32 AM   #59
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
Went for my second shot, the line of cars snaked around for two hours. As far as I could see, snaking ahead of me, snaking behind me all I saw were SUVs, pickups, sedans, I counted three subcompacts, not one EV. By any measure this was a totally random collection of vehicles. EVs have a real steep climb, and other technologies are being ignored in the discussion.
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 March 2021, 03:49 AM   #60
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
I’ll jump on board the EV train the day that I am able to pretend I am clutch kicking, rev matching, heel toeing all while the car drives itself around town.
You know, I might embrace electric cars, if they could have some enthusiast driving options, like a clutch and manual shift. Probably makes no sense technology wise, but I prefer a manual car, and always have one or two in the garage.

Also part of the driving thrill is the exhaust sound. A big deal to me. EV cars are silent, or don't make cool noises anyway.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote