The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2018, 06:20 AM   #211
Fujiman
Banned

Comparing Patek watches to Rolex watches is a little silly considering the starting prices for each brand. Personally, as much as I admire Patek, especially their annual and perpetual calendars, I could never see buying one. I don't want that kind of money tied up in a watch.

But there is no question that, horologically speaking, Patek > Rolex.
Fujiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 08:01 AM   #212
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
Because is TRUE
Hum, yeah but no in real life, had quite a mix of brands, Pam, Rolex, Cartier, Omega, Blancpain, Patek, Audemars Piguet, Breitling, Voutilainen, Rolex doesn't make top 3 in that list, not last either, but clearly not in top 3...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 04:18 PM   #213
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
For a mechanical watch my Pepsi is 1 second a day out. Show me a Patek etc that will beat that so you are wrong on that part.
I have a Breitling, an Omega and even a vacation memory from Iceland (JS watch) that run the same or better. I also have a Rolex that doesn’t. Point is, that’s hardly representative of anything.

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 04:27 PM   #214
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
I have a Breitling, an Omega and even a vacation memory from Iceland (JS watch) that run the same or better. I also have a Rolex that doesn’t. Point is, that’s hardly representative of anything.
yep. Just good regulation. As long as a watch is consistent in the deviation it can be regulated down to better accuracy. My AP for example is +11 all day, every day. Its very very consistent at +11. I therefore could get it regulated to closer to being accurate and it would most likely stay at that rate.

Its wild swings like +11 and -11 that is harder to fix.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 05:30 PM   #215
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
yep. Just good regulation. As long as a watch is consistent in the deviation it can be regulated down to better accuracy. My AP for example is +11 all day, every day. Its very very consistent at +11. I therefore could get it regulated to closer to being accurate and it would most likely stay at that rate.

Its wild swings like +11 and -11 that is harder to fix.
Excellent point Tyler, which is actually why I haven’t ever worried too much about that GMT that is fast by a consistent 5 seconds a day.

Great Instagram btw, just gave that a follow

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Old 13 July 2018, 07:12 PM   #216
jakeysrolex
Banned

Watch: 116619
Because the rest of the luxury watch industry makes watches for old men (Patek, Vacheron, AP, etc) and desk divers.

That or resale value dumpster fires (Omega, Hubot, ...) or stuff that’s so far out of the peasants (ie Rolex main customer base) reach that they just never heard of those names (Richard Mille, countless boutiques).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jakeysrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 07:35 PM   #217
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeysrolex View Post
Because the rest of the luxury watch industry makes watches for old men (Patek, Vacheron, AP, etc) and desk divers.

That or resale value dumpster fires (Omega, Hubot, ...) or stuff that’s so far out of the peasants (ie Rolex main customer base) reach that they just never heard of those names (Richard Mille, countless boutiques).

Did you just call the Rolex customers peasants?
Under what connotation are you using this phrase?
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 07:39 PM   #218
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raku View Post
And he insults all Patek, AP, Vacheron owners as well not to mention calling all SubLV owners girls.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 07:44 PM   #219
Raku
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
And he insults all Patek, AP, Vacheron owners as well not to mention calling all SubLV owners girls.
Maybe he has mistaken this forum with the BBC football comments section.
Someone tell him before he'll get banned.
Raku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 08:03 PM   #220
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

"old men and dumpster fires." That gets my vote for a new subform title

However the old men watch brands you mention make far younger looking watches than some of Rolex's offerings as they all make a wide range of watches.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 13 July 2018, 08:52 PM   #221
jakeysrolex
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:

Ask any hedge fund manager what his favorite Rolex is. You’ll get the same incredulous facial expression if you just ask him about his favorite tractor brand.

Substitute any category of truly wealthy, they wouldn’t be seen dead wearing something as pedestrian as a Rolex.

We are peasants, aspiring to own watches that say “hey I can spend $10k on a watch”. Hey look I have tennnnnthousand dollars. Or 20. Or a bit more.

Throw in a cigar and Lambo steering wheel and the image is complete.

Pateks are gorgeous but among the notable crowd of well to do but active and not-60+ year olds I know, nobody would dream of wearing such a thing for regular living, traveling, partying, etc. They’re just neither sturdy enough nor does anything besides maybe a 5711 or Aquanaut even pretend to be a sports watch (and those aren’t either, obviously). AP? Literally one line that sells at all. Vacheron? Might as well be dead already - look at any VC resale values.
jakeysrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 08:58 PM   #222
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ask any hedge fund manager what his favorite Rolex is. You’ll get the same incredulous facial expression if you just ask him about his favorite tractor brand.

Substitute any category of truly wealthy, they wouldn’t be seen dead wearing something as pedestrian as a Rolex.

We are peasants, aspiring to own watches that say “hey I can spend $10k on a watch”. Hey look I have tennnnnthousand dollars. Or 20. Or a bit more.

Pateks are gorgeous but among the notable crowd of well to do but active and not-60+ year olds I know, nobody would dream of wearing such a thing for regular living, traveling, partying, etc. They’re just neither sturdy enough nor does anything besides maybe a 5711 or Aquanaut even pretend to be a sports watch (and those aren’t either, obviously). AP? Literally one line that sells at all. Vacheron? Might as well be dead already - look at any VC resale values.
another double down... keep digging
My Pateks are plenty sturdy for normal day to day except when i go exploring caves or participating in fight club.
Old 13 July 2018, 09:03 PM   #223
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:

You are so off it isn’t even worth debating with you.

PS I am so glad you responded the way you did in PM to me from warning on another post. So we peasants and old man watch wearers will just have to carry on without you.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 09:08 PM   #224
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I own both and would say that Grand Seiko is a better watch at a lower price.

Although GS's finish is very good, their fit is poor for the price. Also, GS design often seems like an after-thought (awkward placement of power reserves, subdials, etc.)

I realize there are many brands that produce nicer, more refined watches, but I think Rolex make the best all-around watches in their price range (steel professional models).

I can't think of any other brand that offers a better combination of build quality, fit, finish, materials, design, functionality, and accuracy for less money than most of the Rolex steel models.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 09:22 PM   #225
SUPERDOC
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Are these hedge fund managers created in a laboratory and released fully developed in their 50's..??. Watch collecting for most of those who are into it is a journey...
Unless you are born into obscene wealth, I doubt if many are starting with a Patek complication, or ALS minute repeater...

I always say, there are two types of Rolex guys... those who know nothing about watches, and those who know a lot about watches...

I would imagine many of us have a story like mine.. I started loving watches young - seiko, fossil, casio... then as we gained success, and disposable income - you move up - Omega/TAG, while aspiring to Rolex - knowing little more than the name and prestige that goes with it (and if you're like me, falling for the "crown for every achievement" sentiment)..

some stop there - having achieved the status symbol -

others continue to learn and research horology and other watches... (as was mentioned earier - the information is just a click/swipe away)... the more you learn, the more you realize that it doesn't end with Rolex, it barely begins - AP,VC,PP,Breguet - I have them all.... but now I've come back to Rolex... because you realize that it is all BS - the "Haute Horology" brands aren't exacty grass roots start ups trying to do things right - the marketing is there - it's just very very focussed, but it's selling the same bullshit (the bullshit about the watches that people who have those watches resent Rolex guys for believing about rolex), but that advertising is to select groups only ...

my AP and breguet both had to go in for service within 6 months...My 18k PO chronograph had to have the hour hand reset after 3 months... I've never had an issue with Rolex... (yes, yes, finishings, decorated movement..etc.. sorry, I keep forgetting to bring my loupe with me everywhere I go)

Rolex Marketing is effective because it makes the average Joe believe it is the highest level of achievemnet, and a symbol of high achievement...

but the WIS crowd respects it because the watches are solid!
The product has to stand... if you market aggressively, you can sell a million watches... but if you sel a million pieces of crap each year... word is going to get around no matter how many advertisements and product placements there are..

So in many ways, it is the best - a reliable object that tells the time, has beautiful , timeless design, and retains its value if you ever have to liquidate...

the differences is in the route taken to reach that conclusion...
Old 13 July 2018, 09:26 PM   #226
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
You are so off it isn’t even worth debating with you.

PS I am so glad you responded the way you did in PM to me from warning on another post. So we peasants and old man watch wearers will just have to carry on without you.
Thank you from all of us peasants

Arrivederci
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 09:29 PM   #227
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I own both and would say that Grand Seiko is a better watch at a lower price.
i really love GS. I will add one sooner or later. IMO they grow on you where as Rolex i immediately like or dislike certain references. Some Rolex grow over time but its the exception rather than the rule. GS takes time to appreciate or at least thats my very limited experience with the brand.
Old 13 July 2018, 09:39 PM   #228
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedargrove View Post
Although GS's finish is very good, their fit is poor for the price. Also, GS design often seems like an after-thought (awkward placement of power reserves, subdials, etc.)

I realize there are many brands that produce nicer, more refined watches, but I think Rolex make the best all-around watches in their price range (steel professional models).

I can't think of any other brand that offers a better combination of build quality, fit, finish, materials, design, functionality, and accuracy for less money than most of the Rolex steel models.
Omega?

Old 13 July 2018, 09:50 PM   #229
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDOC View Post
Are these hedge fund managers created in a laboratory and released fully developed in their 50's..??. Watch collecting for most of those who are into it is a journey...
Unless you are born into obscene wealth, I doubt if many are starting with a Patek complication, or ALS minute repeater...

I always say, there are two types of Rolex guys... those who know nothing about watches, and those who know a lot about watches...

I would imagine many of us have a story like mine.. I started loving watches young - seiko, fossil, casio... then as we gained success, and disposable income - you move up - Omega/TAG, while aspiring to Rolex - knowing little more than the name and prestige that goes with it (and if you're like me, falling for the "crown for every achievement" sentiment)..

some stop there - having achieved the status symbol -

others continue to learn and research horology and other watches... (as was mentioned earier - the information is just a click/swipe away)... the more you learn, the more you realize that it doesn't end with Rolex, it barely begins - AP,VC,PP,Breguet - I have them all.... but now I've come back to Rolex... because you realize that it is all BS - the "Haute Horology" brands aren't exacty grass roots start ups trying to do things right - the marketing is there - it's just very very focussed, but it's selling the same bullshit (the bullshit about the watches that people who have those watches resent Rolex guys for believing about rolex), but that advertising is to select groups only ...

my AP and breguet both had to go in for service within 6 months...My 18k PO chronograph had to have the hour hand reset after 3 months... I've never had an issue with Rolex... (yes, yes, finishings, decorated movement..etc.. sorry, I keep forgetting to bring my loupe with me everywhere I go)

Rolex Marketing is effective because it makes the average Joe believe it is the highest level of achievemnet, and a symbol of high achievement...

but the WIS crowd respects it because the watches are solid!
The product has to stand... if you market aggressively, you can sell a million watches... but if you sel a million pieces of crap each year... word is going to get around no matter how many advertisements and product placements there are..

So in many ways, it is the best - a reliable object that tells the time, has beautiful , timeless design, and retains its value if you ever have to liquidate...

the differences is in the route taken to reach that conclusion...
Some valid points, though BS is maybe a bit of a harsh term for something that still has a lot of beautiful craftsmanship (been there, seen the guys and girls at work) beneath it. In the end, between Tag on the lower end and Patek on the upper end, one can hardly go wrong with any mainstream brand. The differentiation will mostly be informed by personal experience (it seems you’ve not been very fortunate with certain watches there) and a brand’s marketing strategy. And in the latter field, Rolex has two great advantages over everybody else: (i) they have done great work in this field in past decades and never strayed from the path they put themselves in initially and (ii) they belong to a foundation that is all about cementing the brand as a cultural icon and couldn’t care less about short term profits and or customer satisfaction.

Old 13 July 2018, 09:59 PM   #230
c.rod
"TRF" Member

Sometimes the “super wealthy” are the most flashy and the least
Knowledgeable about a lot of material things. They buy it because they can and are looking for the status symbol. Bugatti cheron in the garage but doesn’t really know anything about cars or appreciate them. $300k watch just because it’s expensive. All to often people think because someone has money they have class. Mostly from my exprience that is not the case.
c.rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2018, 10:02 PM   #231
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.rod View Post
Sometimes the “super wealthy” are the most flashy and the least
Knowledgeable about a lot of material things. They buy it because they can and are looking for the status symbol. Bugatti cheron in the garage but doesn’t really know anything about cars or appreciate them. $300k watch just because it’s expensive. All to often people think because someone has money they have class. Mostly from my exprience that is not the case.
most mid level luxury anything has more branding. Its only at the most very high end where it gets really discrete. So i do think the higher you go the more low key it gets generally minus maybe cars.
Old 14 July 2018, 08:22 AM   #232
cedargrove
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss, GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
Omega?
I had the PO Ti 8500 for a few years (which cost more than my GMT, even with discounts).

I really liked many things about the PO, but sold it mainly due to the complete lack of any clasp micro-adjustability. Rolex's clasp micro-adjustments, and the easy link extension, and the glidelock on their divers, all win when it comes to functionality.

I also found the fit/finish to be a little less than Rolex, particularly the bracelet links.
cedargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 08:43 AM   #233
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

because they don't know any better. They think 10k for a watch is expensive...don't get me wrong I LOVE SS Rolex, but as we all know they are cheap in the world of luxury watches. But the average person thinks the Sub is the most expensive watch in existence haha... it's also the watch people buy to tell other people how much it costs... "OMG 8 THOUSAND DOLLARS...this must be the greatest watch EVER!"
Ive literally seen this scenario play out
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 09:14 AM   #234
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
After reading a number of responses, decided to throw my HO's out. As I type this I'm wearing my PP from 1990. It does one thing a watch is designed to do, it tells time. No complications of any sort. It just came back from a PP full service and polish. My usual go to watch for daily wear is an AP RO, circa 1995. It likewise is just back from a complete service and no polish. I began wearing Rolex in 1965. I have worn and owned many, many Rolex of various models. I liken Rolex to a military tank. My PP I liken to a CIA stealth spy jet, smooth and sleek. Rolex was founded by a salesman, Hans Wilsdorf by name. Is it any wonder they have the incredible marketing machine which he started. Begining with a woman, Gleitz by name, swam the English channel wearing a waterproof Rolex with screw down crown. First woman in history to do so. The Everest climb; Sir Edmund Hillary wore a 'Smith's' English made watch, while his sherpa guide wore the Rolex. My PP is very thin, my Rolex sub 14060M COSC non-date is not. Would I swim with either, nope. PP enjoys a prestige gained by making exquisite watches. Rolex builds tanks.
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2018, 10:13 AM   #235
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Quote:
Maybe he meant pheasants........... , the Common Pheasant is native to Asia.