The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 May 2018, 06:29 PM   #1
Carrera_2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
why general public think that Rolex watch is the best watch ever made.

Though Rolex marketing never said their watch is the best or anything like that. But general public always perceived Rolex is the best watch out there. To me, Rolex watch is the watch that can take beating and it just keep on ticking, simply the strongest watch.
Carrera_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 06:33 PM   #2
glamorama
"TRF" Member

I think people know there are 'better' watches out there but just think that Rolex is the best usable everyday watch.
glamorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 06:33 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

marketing and brand awareness. My family back in the states knows nothing about watches. They could care less about my Pateks or AP. All they ever say anything about it the Rolex. They also assume its my most expensive, and thus best watch. They know the Rolex brand and know its expensive, thats it.

The general public equates price with being the best (which i disagree with), but you would be surprised at how many people think the luxury watch world stops at Rolex and assume its one of the most expensive watches there is.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 06:58 PM   #4
Brew
"TRF" Member

Where many of us live, Rolex and Omega may be the only "expensive" watches available in our local jewelry stores.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 07:00 PM   #5
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Where many of us live, Rolex and Omega may be the only "expensive" watches available in our local jewelry stores.
agreed. Also in reference to another thread...this is a strong case for Rolex continuing to have AD's. This perception isnt created by magic. Its created by them having watches on display and and people seeing the brand, and most normal sized cities have a Rolex AD. It sticks in their heads.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 17 May 2018, 07:12 PM   #6
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
They've never heard of anything better?
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 07:19 PM   #7
Panych
"TRF" Member

Rolex is still the most recognized brand in the world.
Apart from marketing, this has been also deserved by very good quality, great accuracy and indestructible reliability. What else does it need to be the best? :)
Panych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 07:38 PM   #8
Hamstur
"TRF" Member

In today's age of internet, knowledge is a swipe and tap away. I don't feel like Rolex is considered by the general public as "absolute best" or "most expensive" but maybe instead as "overall best" when factoring in luxury class, heirloom grade, reliability, robustness, perceived prestige, defined heritage, marketing presence, brand awareness, expected company longevity, value retention, etc.

It's like the Porsche Carrera: isn't the absolute best but ranks a solid 8.5-9.5 in every qualitative & subjective measure, and comfortable from track to work to errands the same day. And the average hard working Joe can reasonably expect to own one ... but not an Aventador.

Not like Rolex is comparable to garbage Bose audio....
Hamstur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 07:41 PM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamstur View Post
In today's age of internet, knowledge is a swipe and tap away. I don't feel like Rolex is considered by the general public as "absolute best" or "most expensive" but maybe instead as "overall best" when factoring in luxury class, heirloom grade, reliability, robustness, perceived prestige, defined heritage, marketing presence, brand awareness, expected company longevity, value retention, etc.

It's like the Porsche Carrera: isn't the absolute best but ranks a solid 8.5-9.5 in every qualitative & subjective measure, and comfortable from track to work to errands the same day. And the average hard working Joe can reasonably expect to own one ... but not an Aventador.

Not like Rolex is comparable to garbage Bose audio....
you have to know watches to know anything different. Ask a random stranger what the best, most expensive watch is. Rolex will be the answer more often than not. The info is out there, but people are not randomly researching watches.

Rolex attracts WIS and non WIS alike in huge numbers. You need to be a WIS already to have any clue about ALS.
Old 17 May 2018, 07:42 PM   #10
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Because is TRUE
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 07:46 PM   #11
JayB
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP, DJ, NF
Quote:
Your definition of an average hard working person is a lot different to mine. IMHO the average person wouldn't expect to be able own a Porsche, has probably never even considered it and wouldn't have any idea how much they cost.

Just like Rolex, most average people have no idea about a Rolex. If you ask an average person about Rolex they would probably only be able to tell you it's expensive.

Rolex Explorer -- Rolex Datejust -- Tudor North Flag -- Omega De Ville Trésor -- Tudor Black Bay GMT -- Omega Speedmaster Professional -- Tudor Black Bay Fifty Eight
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 07:49 PM   #12
Alternative_Facts
Banned

Because people are not informed of what's out there.... Also if you looked at any media/movie/tv if they wanted to show someone was rich or successful they stressed they were wearing a Rolex. Not a Patek. Not an AP. Simple stuff.
Alternative_Facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 07:50 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
Because is TRUE
Afraid thats simply not true yes Rolex make fine watches but so do many others at much lower prices.But today in this brand conscious designer world many today just wear the brand and know nothing about the history of the RWC or other brands.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 07:57 PM   #14
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Like Tyler said, marketing and brand awareness.
Rolex is very good in this, though I know better I even believe most of the time Rolex produces the best watches
Old 17 May 2018, 08:00 PM   #15
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Land Marks

through out the history of Rolex, there has been significant landmarks such as

Capt Jacques Cousteau Rolex Submariner

Sir Edmund Hillary Rolex Explorer

Commander Ronald Evans Rolex GMT Master

SBS 5517

to name a few

all watches were proven in the field so to speak,

as for it being the best this is down to the individual that owns one, for me my Rolex's are the best.... unless I learn different.
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 08:03 PM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Marketing, combined with reliability and very good customer support / reputation.

It's like Bose / Beats for audio, not really the best in their sector by any stretch yet good enough for the masses combined with brand name recognition / perception. Hmm, actually Rolex is a far better product within mechanical timepiece marketplace than the audio equivalent of Bose / Beats.

Perhaps it should be Rolex = McIntosh Labs. Both are longstanding, highly reputable companies producing excellent quality products that are highly reliable, have great resale value, and of course longstanding visual appeal. Of course i may be a bit biased, just picked up a pair of these babies and they sound awesome!

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 08:05 PM   #17
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post

SBS 5517

to name a few

as for it being the best this is down to the individual that owns one, for me my Rolex's are the best.... unless I learn different.
Marketing brilliance like i said.

The sub was the second dive watch, and the Everest thing is murky. "While Edmund Hillary did, in fact, take his Rolex Oyster Perpetual during the 1953 expedition, it has been verified with various sources, including an account from the man himself, that he left his Rolex back at the base camp before making his ascent up the final stretch."

Connection to the space program is a stretch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (234.2 KB, 2349 views)
Old 17 May 2018, 08:10 PM   #18
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
Your definition of an average hard working person is a lot different to mine. IMHO the average person wouldn't expect to be able own a Porsche, has probably never even considered it and wouldn't have any idea how much they cost.

Just like Rolex, most average people have no idea about a Rolex. If you ask an average person about Rolex they would probably only be able to tell you it's expensive.
Very true. My “average” non watch co workers asked me how much my sub cost the other day. I didn’t tell them exactly how much but he thought $2-3000 which is still insane to a non watch person. I remember being the same way before I got sucked into rolexes. I almost fainted when I found out an entry level model like a dj cost 7-8k when I thought they would be 4-5k for a more expensive model. So to the general public who think a $1000 watch is expensive, yes they will think Rolex is the best. Also they definitely never heard of AP, PP, etc.
Old 17 May 2018, 08:21 PM   #19
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
I would characterize Rolex as the best value for a luxury mechanical watch.
Roger Lococco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 08:26 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The Rolex marketing machine
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 08:29 PM   #21
adg31
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoilsofwar01 View Post

SBS 5517

to name a few

I think that there are safer claims to make such as perfecting the bidirectional automatic winding mechanism, waterproofing cases and introducing instantaneous date changes. There are also a wide range of celebrity endorsements for the brand over many years and covering many aspects of human endeavour.

Jacques Cousteau and the Calypso crew were possibly better associated with the Doxa story - which continues with his son Fabian and Project 31. Possibly safer to go with Comex.

Sir Edmund Hillary appears to have worn an Oyster Perpetual for the ascent of Everest which is now in the Rolex museum. The Explorer didn't come out until later.

The GMT Master story is more closely linked with the PanAm team. When it comes to manned space flight I think the win has to go to Omega.

This aside, a fantastic marketing machine at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
adg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 08:30 PM   #22
broken_link
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
How many other mechanical watch producers even advertise their watch precision? Much less can they match the +-2sec/d of a cased Rolex.
broken_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 08:35 PM   #23
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Because so many people are swayed by marketing
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 08:35 PM   #24
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
The general public need not be accountable for its thoughts on a subject it doesn't really care that much about.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 08:43 PM   #25
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
The general public need not be accountable for its thoughts on a subject it doesn't really care that much about.
well said. However i do think the "general public's perception" does drive sales. Some guy wants to show off and he buys a Rolex because everyone will know. Like it or not, a lot of people do this. He doesn't buy a datograph. That one will only impress his WIS friends.
Old 17 May 2018, 08:46 PM   #26
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera_2 View Post
Though Rolex marketing never said their watch is the best or anything like that. But general public always perceived Rolex is the best watch out there. To me, Rolex watch is the watch that can take beating and it just keep on ticking, simply the strongest watch.

Very effective (mostly) past marketing and brand placement in films & historic events created brand awareness. It doesn’t hurt the watches are pretty decent quality either.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 09:16 PM   #27
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:

The average hard working Joe can reasonably expect to own a Porsche Carrera? Maybe in a parallel universe, but not in this one.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 09:25 PM   #28
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
It’s not just marketing. It’s uncles and dads telling their nephews and kids that Rolex makes the best watches. Plus, unless you’re a tennis fan, you would never see any sort of marketing or advertising from Rolex anyway. It’s all by word of mouth.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 09:26 PM   #29
spoilsofwar01
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Rainclouds
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
Marketing brilliance like i said.

The sub was the second dive watch, and the Everest thing is murky. "While Edmund Hillary did, in fact, take his Rolex Oyster Perpetual during the 1953 expedition, it has been verified with various sources, including an account from the man himself, that he left his Rolex back at the base camp before making his ascent up the final stretch."

Connection to the space program is a stretch
Thanks for this, and this has lead to another post, that's titled First watch on the Mount Everest, arguments have it that the first Rolex on the summit of Mount Everest was in 1953, and that it was a gold Date Just.... I'm interested to find out more,
Smiths W10 1968
Tissot Seastar 2011
spoilsofwar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2018, 09:27 PM   #30
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_link View Post
How many other mechanical watch producers even advertise their watch precision? Much less can they match the +-2sec/d of a cased Rolex.
Tudor or ETA movements can easily match that. I even have a few 50-year-old seiko's regulated to perform that well; quite a bit better in fact. It's not hard to regulate an average mechanical watch to +2 secs a day. Rolex advertises it as though only Rolex can do it. Again, it's all about the marketing