The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 May 2018, 09:19 AM   #121
ferrissteve11
"TRF" Member

I've always been into watches and was told of Rolex being one of the preeminent world brands of watches by my Uncle. He also mentioned Patek as well, but for him Rolex was King...fast forward many years and Bond movies later; when the time came that I could make the leap I did. I started with Omega and when I finally arrived at the Crown...well I never looked back. Despite the marketing at the end of the day its a hell of a watch that I can wear for work or play and not really worry. I might have drank some of the Kool Aid, but I'm happy with the result lol.
ferrissteve11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 09:21 AM   #122
Fany
Banned

We have the Rolex everywhere in the luxuary class and it works better with great marketing.
Fany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 09:29 AM   #123
Dnf888
"TRF" Member

Easy. The older generation have passed on or we have inherited their Rolex’s. They still run and can be perfect, after a service. People hear about it, realistically everyone has heard of it. I’ve never heard of an AP, Hublot, PP, etc, being passed/inherited from the 60’s or earlier, maybe Omega, but not a lot other than.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dnf888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 12:46 PM   #124
LINVS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_link View Post
If we’re not talking about complications but precision and robustness the ones you listed are probably inferior to Rolex on the combination of these two factors.
Some of their models would be more precise, but very fragile compared to any current Rolex movement. Say it ain’t so?
Who buys a modern Rolex for durability anymore? Modern Rolex watches are jewelry.

Look at all the threads with guys who get a tiny nick on their Submariner and can’t sleep at night.

A Nautilus, Overseas, or those sexy Polaris’ are plenty strong for doing the alpha male thing.

A lot of us surcombed to the “adventure-tool” marketing days of Rolex. I wonder if the current generation will just see Rolex as celebrity bling and not fill our Rolex shoes when we are gone.
LINVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 02:20 PM   #125
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnf888 View Post
Easy. The older generation have passed on or we have inherited their Rolex’s. They still run and can be perfect, after a service. People hear about it, realistically everyone has heard of it. I’ve never heard of an AP, Hublot, PP, etc, being passed/inherited from the 60’s or earlier, maybe Omega, but not a lot other than.

You can’t be serious

1. You‘ve never heard of a vintage Patek, JLC or Audemars piece? Perhaps you should pop into some place other than your Rolex dealers showroom. There’s plenty of brands with an even stronger heritage than Rolex, with plenty of models hanging around. Maybe you haven’t heard about them because your casual watch guy only cares about sport pieces.....they simply weren’t popular/made in the ‘60s and earlier’.

2. Would be hard to find a Hublot from the 60s, considering the fact the brand was just created in 1980s.

3. You make this point about being ‘passed down’. Ask yourself how many guys you know/have seen who own Rolex. Now do the same for AP/PP/VC. See why it seems so much more likely to know of someone passing down a Rolex as opposed to the other brands?

I’m sorry but this post just reeks of Rolex fanboy. I enjoy them too, but I don’t act as if they are some unicorn in the watch world, whereas all others magically fall apart past 50 years......expand your horizons, there’s a ton of brands outside just this one. If anything, your post illustrates the thread title to a tee.....
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 04:53 PM   #126
Dnf888
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
You can’t be serious

1. You‘ve never heard of a vintage Patek, JLC or Audemars piece? Perhaps you should pop into some place other than your Rolex dealers showroom. There’s plenty of brands with an even stronger heritage than Rolex, with plenty of models hanging around. Maybe you haven’t heard about them because your casual watch guy only cares about sport pieces.....they simply weren’t popular/made in the ‘60s and earlier’.

2. Would be hard to find a Hublot from the 60s, considering the fact the brand was just created in 1980s.

3. You make this point about being ‘passed down’. Ask yourself how many guys you know/have seen who own Rolex. Now do the same for AP/PP/VC. See why it seems so much more likely to know of someone passing down a Rolex as opposed to the other brands?

I’m sorry but this post just reeks of Rolex fanboy. I enjoy them too, but I don’t act as if they are some unicorn in the watch world, whereas all others magically fall apart past 50 years......expand your horizons, there’s a ton of brands outside just this one. If anything, your post illustrates the thread title to a tee.....

Woah!!! Calm down fella!!
I can be serious, because that’s me and my thoughts/opinions.
I know of the other brands, but people I speak to don’t and so, I’ve never heard of them being inherited/passed down.
Is that ok with you or do I need to travel the world, asking everybody just to make you happy??
My post was to share my thoughts, which is the point of the forum and not to be attacked with “Rolex fanboy” name calling.
So, take a chill pill, read the posts of others, enjoy the forum and value the opinion of others. If you can’t, may I suggest you do something different with your life?? 🤪

Dnf888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 05:14 PM   #127
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

the difference is Rolex won't touch a vintage watch. AP, PP, etc will service every watch they have ever made in the history of the company. If they dont have parts then they make them based on the original specifications. No offense to Rolex but you cannot talk about old Rolex and old Patek like its anywhere near comparable as Rolex could care less about your old watch. Patek does

Take a 90 year old Rolex to RSC and see what they say. Take a 90 year old Patek to Patek and it will come back exactly as it was sold 90 years ago.

Rolex also will not keep your watch original if its within the time frame they will even service it. So any watch RSC returns to you isnt the same watch you sent in. If legacy is important and you have some fantasy of your great great grandchild wearing your watch some day, do not buy a Rolex.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 05:30 PM   #128
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
the difference is Rolex won't touch a vintage watch. AP, PP, etc will service every watch they have ever made in the history of the company. If they dont have parts then they make them based on the original specifications. No offense to Rolex but you cannot talk about old Rolex and old Patek like its anywhere near comparable as Rolex could care less about your old watch. Patek does

Take a 90 year old Rolex to RSC and see what they say. Take a 90 year old Patek to Patek and it will come back exactly as it was sold 90 years ago.

Rolex also will not keep your watch original if its within the time frame they will even service it. So any watch RSC returns to you isnt the same watch you sent in. If legacy is important and you have some fantasy of your great great grandchild wearing your watch some day. Do not buy a Rolex.

I think it's kind of ironic how the vast majority of people talk about passing down a Rolex, yet it's one of the worst 'higher end' brands one could past down while maintaining its original integrity. "You can own a Rolex, but we might not look after it for the next generation".

Quote:
Woah!!! Calm down fella!!
I can be serious, because that’s me and my thoughts/opinions.
I know of the other brands, but people I speak to don’t and so, I’ve never heard of them being inherited/passed down.
Is that ok with you or do I need to travel the world, asking everybody just to make you happy??
My post was to share my thoughts, which is the point of the forum and not to be attacked with “Rolex fanboy” name calling.
So, take a chill pill, read the posts of others, enjoy the forum and value the opinion of others. If you can’t, may I suggest you do something different with your life?? ��

Completely fine by me. My post was never to rile you up, and I apologize if you took my 'Rolex fanboy' comment the wrong way.

I was simply trying to broaden your horizons (as stated) as well as give you some factual information to help you further understand (concerning Hublot). If you're not interested in those two things, not sure why you're on a discussion forum. Perhaps you should do something different with your life?
Old 19 May 2018, 05:46 PM   #129
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I think it's kind of ironic how the vast majority of people talk about passing down a Rolex, yet it's one of the worst 'higher end' brands one could past down while maintaining its original integrity. "You can own a Rolex, but we might not look after it for the next generation".
You could say Rolex looks at their outdated watches the same way Apple does with theirs. They are disposable once they have reached the end of their useful life. At that point, they are done with them. Owners can put a ton of time and effort trying to make the watch right, and the watch will work, but that is with zero support from the company who made it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 19 May 2018, 05:53 PM   #130
RolexG1986
"TRF" Member

Truthfully I'm new to the Rolex "game" and I never even knew about other high end watches other then Rolex and Brietling and that's because of good advertisement. Whenever I would go somewhere those are the two high end manufacturers i would encounter. Personally I would never spend more then a certain amount on a watch no matter how rich I would be because in my personal opinion a $350 dollar apple watch can do 1000x what an outdated high end watch can do. No offense anyone just my opinion.
RolexG1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 05:57 PM   #131
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexG1986 View Post
Truthfully I'm new to the Rolex "game" and I never even knew about other high end watches other then Rolex and Brietling and that's because of good advertisement. Whenever I would go somewhere those are the two high end manufacturers i would encounter. Personally I would never spend more then a certain amount on a watch no matter how rich I would be because in my personal opinion a $350 dollar apple watch can do 1000x what an outdated high end watch can do. No offense anyone just my opinion.
.........but then you buy an 'outdated' Rolex with a bedazzled bezel and diamond marker dial?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=599312

Old 19 May 2018, 05:58 PM   #132
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you say that now, but price creep is a thing. If you are really into watches you may spend 3K on a tudor and then over time its easier to justify 10k on a Rolex. Then spending 30k on a Patek or a PM Rolex doesnt seem so crazy. Your perspective changes once you justify any new price level. That level you set any time you buy a watch now becomes the floor all subsequent purchases are based on, and not $350 for an apple watch.
Old 19 May 2018, 06:09 PM   #133
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
you say that now, but price creep is a thing. If you are really into watches you may spend 3K on a tudor and then over time its easier to justify 10k on a Rolex. Then spending 30k on a Patek or a PM Rolex doesnt seem so crazy. Your perspective changes once you justify any new price level. That level you set any time you buy a watch now becomes the floor all subsequent purchases are based on, and not $350 for an apple watch.
So true...and scary.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 06:12 PM   #134
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Treat creep is a thing too. I walk into the pet store planning on buying my pup $5 worth of stuff, and come out with $500.
Old 19 May 2018, 06:15 PM   #135
lovetherolex
Banned

Quote:
You think anyone is buying a 25k three hander because of what it "can do"?

Man you missed the boat.

Quote:
.........but then you buy an 'outdated' Rolex with a bedazzled bezel and diamond marker dial?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=599312

Come on now, the guy who said the above bought what??
lovetherolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 06:22 PM   #136
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetherolex View Post
You think anyone is buying a 25k three hander because of what it "can do"?

Man you missed the boat.

Come on now, the guy who said the above bought what??
he even bought his girl a matching one!
Old 19 May 2018, 06:23 PM   #137
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
So true...and scary.
this is why i think its a huge mistake anytime anyone jumps right to Patek. Its not about better or worse watches at all, its about coming out of the gate with such huge price levels. Its just going up and up from there.
Old 19 May 2018, 06:55 PM   #138
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
You could say Rolex looks at their outdated watches the same way Apple does with theirs. They are disposable once they have reached the end of their useful life. At that point, they are done with them. Owners can put a ton of time and effort trying to make the watch right, and the watch will work, but that is with zero support from the company who made it.
Rolex does have a heritage department in Geneva where you can bring this special vintage pieces for service
Old 19 May 2018, 07:48 PM   #139
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Rolex does have a heritage department in Geneva where you can bring this special vintage pieces for service
ive only heard of that place once. Correct me if im wrong but i am under the impression they won't just service any watch. It has to meet some sort of criteria. With the other brands it doesnt matter, they will restore and service it as long as you are willing to pay to have it done.

In any case it appears to be super secret as there are a lot of people who have tried and failed to get RSC to service their old watch so its not like they are being proactive about saying, "We won't fix it, but send it here instead."
Old 19 May 2018, 09:17 PM   #140
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

Kind of ironic when PP's signature Ad line is A watch to pass down to future generations, just like Rolex's Crown for every Achievement, both have worked a charm.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 09:18 PM   #141
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Treat creep is a thing too. I walk into the pet store planning on buying my pup $5 worth of stuff, and come out with $500.
Divorce creep is the worst tho.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 10:43 PM   #142
Panych
"TRF" Member

Current high demand for sport ss rolex, may say that rolex is the most desired luxury watch in the world for mass.

If we also add 5 years warranty, 10 years service recommendation, +-2 s/d, #1 reputable and recognized watch brand, the hotest discussion on TRF and other forums, then I do not even know what watch can come close to rolex. Please correct me if I am wrong...
Panych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 10:55 PM   #143
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Divorce creep is the worst tho.
Old 19 May 2018, 10:55 PM   #144
WatchWeb
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT2C, Sub LVC
Marketing..
Old 19 May 2018, 11:21 PM   #145
Panych
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchWeb View Post
Marketing..
Of course, marketing helps to increase a purchase intent, however, the most important for a brand in my view is its repurchase rate. I have not seen a lot of people who regretted the buying rolex and therefore would never buy it again.
Panych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2018, 11:25 PM   #146
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panych View Post
Of course, marketing helps to increase a purchase intent, however, the most important for a brant in my view is its repurchase rate. I have not seen a lot of people who regretted the buying rolex and therefore would never buy it again.
i think that number is way, way lower than you think. Most people will only ever have one luxury watch and certainly no more than one Rolex. They have an excellent reputation yes but i dont think people are buying them again and again (except here). Word of mouth which causes that person's friends to buy a Rolex, sure.
Old 19 May 2018, 11:39 PM   #147
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
As all have said, Rolex brand recognition is second to none. They've infiltrated the minds of the common man. Omega may well be in the same league as Rolex in terms of brand recognition but lack the reputation for quality and expensiveness. Timex also has the brand recognition but everyone recognizes them as a budget watch. None of the haute horlogerie have the same recognizability.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 02:25 AM   #148
F900LX
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
It’s not just marketing. It’s uncles and dads telling their nephews and kids that Rolex makes the best watches. Plus, unless you’re a tennis fan, you would never see any sort of marketing or advertising from Rolex anyway. It’s all by word of mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How about F1, or 1,000's of billboards?
F900LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 02:52 AM   #149
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
As all have said, Rolex brand recognition is second to none. They've infiltrated the minds of the common man. Omega may well be in the same league as Rolex in terms of brand recognition but lack the reputation for quality and expensiveness. Timex also has the brand recognition but everyone recognizes them as a budget watch. None of the haute horlogerie have the same recognizability.
Of course none of us want to really admit how successful Invicta is.

Their company stores and kiosks are always jam packed.

They are so ubiquitous at this point that Rolexes are being confused for Invictas.

Hey if it keeps people buying watches I'm cool with it.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2018, 03:00 AM   #150
Uggi
Banned

It's a good question this. I think the answer is "because maybe it's true". What is the best car in the world? What would the general public say and what would a car enthusiast say? And if the two answers were different who would be right when there is no objective measure of "best"? What is the best song ever written? Maybe it's the one which comes top of the polls of the general public - or could I just say it is Immigrant Song and claim the general public are ignorant if they disagree? What is the best restaurant in the world? If you ask "the general public" they won't say the place where they serve this up even though this is from the so called "best restaurant in the world". Would anyone have the arrogance to say the general public are wrong in that case? I don't think so. Who better to decide on what is best than the general public?

Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote